Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Who's racing the TTRS in the One Lap of America?

1. Member
      05-05-2012 03:52 PM #1
      Is it one of us? If so, someone's been pretty tight-lipped about it.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...photo-5005557/

On a similar note, I've noticed that poor Don Istook isn't having such an easy time with his RS in the Pirelli World Challenge. But he's up against some serious hardware. He's going to have to add a whole lot of aero bits to his car and gut the interior to keep up with the other guys. So far, the car looks pretty much stock from the outside.

- Jeremy -

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 S4, 2012 TT RS
      05-06-2012 12:26 PM #2
      It looks like they are from the Denver area and running second in class at the moment, 39th overall.

3. 05-06-2012 03:27 PM #3
      45th.

4. Member
      05-07-2012 12:33 PM #4
      Saw Don's car at Long Beach. It's completely gutted. He did the Revo tune (400+ HP). He added an aux oil cooler and used the StopTech brakes (per World Challenge sponsorship). He had 18" Enkei's on, forgot the rubber. Kept the stock fixed wing.

His main problem was the brakes gave out in early laps (surprise, surprise). 2nd problem was aero - fun to see him on 3 wheels going into turn 1 (sharp L hander after the long front straight). He was actually ahead in the first couple laps till the brakes went out.

If he can sort out the brakes and put a nice big wing on, he'll be competitive. None of us have figured out the brakes yet, despite the nose vents. He probably needs proper ducting. The wing should be easy, since the hard points are built in.
      Last edited by mageus; 05-08-2012 at 01:32 AM.
      - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG
      - Phantom black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
      - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS
      - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM
      - Black '89 80 manual

5. Member
      05-07-2012 03:49 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mageus View Post
      Saw Don's car at Long Beach. It's completely gutted. He did the Revo tune (400+ HP). He added an aux oil cooler and used the stasis brakes (per World Challenge sponsorship). He had 18" Enkei's on, forgot the rubber. Kept the stock fixed wing.

His main problem was the brakes gave out in early laps (surprise, surprise). 2nd problem was aero - fun to see him on 3 wheels going into turn 1 (sharp L hander after the long front straight). He was actually ahead in the first couple laps till the brakes went out.

If he can sort out the brakes and put a nice big wing on, he'll be competitive. None of us have figured out the brakes yet, despite the nose vents. He probably needs proper ducting. The wing should be easy, since the hard points are built in.
      Interesting. I wonder what pads he was running. Either way, the serious guys on the UK boards all end up changing out the calipers anyway.

- Jeremy -

6. Member
      05-08-2012 01:31 AM #6
      Sorry, I meant he was running StopTech (WC sponsors). Calipers, rotors, pads. Reviews of their pads seem decent, but not awesome, like the Pagids.

Although a replacement BBK will work, I think the stock calipers/discs work fine for weekend track guys like us. It's the pads that are the problem. These are a cheap fix, along with fluid. That's why I'd like to know how well the XP12's work out.
      - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG
      - Phantom black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
      - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS
      - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM
      - Black '89 80 manual

7. Member
      05-08-2012 02:58 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mageus View Post
      Sorry, I meant he was running StopTech (WC sponsors). Calipers, rotors, pads. Reviews of their pads seem decent, but not awesome, like the Pagids.

Although a replacement BBK will work, I think the stock calipers/discs work fine for weekend track guys like us. It's the pads that are the problem. These are a cheap fix, along with fluid. That's why I'd like to know how well the XP12's work out.
      Oh, duh. I didn't notice that you mentioned the StopTech's in the first post. Durr...
      The Carbotechs should be in the mail shortly. I'm hitting the Hockenheimring this Thursday and next Thursday for a few hours of track time. Unfortunately, the pads won't arrive before then. Takes forever to ship over here.

I'll be heading to "The Greatest Driving Road in the World" (Davos -> Stelvio) on Memorial Day weekend. I'm picking up a new camera kit so I'll record all of the shenanigans. I'll have new pads, lines, fluid, sway bars and a dogbone mount by then. Then it's back to the Ring on June 10th for 1/2 a day.

- Jeremy -

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      05-08-2012 04:51 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post
      Oh, duh. I didn't notice that you mentioned the StopTech's in the first post. Durr...
      The Carbotechs should be in the mail shortly. I'm hitting the Hockenheimring this Thursday and next Thursday for a few hours of track time. Unfortunately, the pads won't arrive before then. Takes forever to ship over here.

I'll be heading to "The Greatest Driving Road in the World" (Davos -> Stelvio) on Memorial Day weekend. I'm picking up a new camera kit so I'll record all of the shenanigans. I'll have new pads, lines, fluid, sway bars and a dogbone mount by then. Then it's back to the Ring on June 10th for 1/2 a day.

- Jeremy -
      With all due respect ( and ALOT of ENVY)...

I hate you.

As someone originally from Europe with access to standby airfare, I am VERY pissed that Audi of Canada do not offer European Delivery....

Driving a TTRS on North American roads is a constant exercise in restraint. Unlike North American products, most good German cars are engineered safe and stable at 160 km/hr .... Alas, the local police and judge will not see it that way....

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2...peeder-wonders
      Last edited by YYC Dubber; 05-08-2012 at 04:54 AM.
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....