Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: TCL: learn me D3 Audi A8's

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta, 1983 GTI
      05-05-2012 04:59 PM #1
      Looking to get some more info on these luxo barges. Prices for 05-06's are in the mid to upper 20's, and after driving one I feel that I need one in my life Hopefully I can get some first hand experience, and realistic things to look for, not the oh its a 80k car it will kill you in maintenance blah blah. Id even like to hear some things about a comparable 7 series or mb

Rule 1:

2. Member Vettes, Volvos and VWs's Avatar
      Vehicles
      76 Corvette, 01 Passat Wagon, 02 Jetta 1.8T, 07 A6 S-line
      05-05-2012 05:12 PM #2

One word: sex

Sorry I can't be of more help
      Quote Originally Posted by Baconator14 View Post
      vettes, volvos, and vws for president
      Quote Originally Posted by UAlvarez View Post
      you're a boss. your sig is appropriate
      My Weak Shiz l Milk █Bg█ Mafia GLI Aluminum trim for Sale Click here and PM me for Speed-Tech Hood Extensions!

3. Member
      05-05-2012 06:42 PM #3
      If you're just looking for TCL feedback, this thread is a good start:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...le-car-Audi-A8
      2003 Acura MDX
      2006 BMW X3

Vehicles
      2014 TDI Q5 2013 turbo Fiat
      05-05-2012 06:43 PM #4
      probably one of the most reliable new audis. That being said it does have some issues, front struts leak air, thermostats are know to stick and cause it to overheat, and the nav screen motor will strip out. All these are fairly easy to do yourself but parts can be expensive. they also eat up tires and front upper control arm bushings.

Vehicles
      1995 urS6, 2005 A8L
      05-05-2012 06:53 PM #5
      Absolutely amazing car. My only complaint with mine is that its too big but if you like luxury barges then this is the car for you.

Things to look out for when you're looking at examples close to 100k miles. You want to make sure that the timing belt has been serviced because it can be pricey and it can get technical so if its not done, make sure you have a little extra cash to put into it. GET VAGCOM. If you plan on doing your own maintenance it is absolutely necessary. You need it in order to replace your brakes and get rid of the slightly annoying service reminder on oil change intervals. One other thing to look out for when shopping. Some guys have complained of a "hoot" noise coming from the transmission during shifts under slightly heavy load. Some guys freak out and have Audi replace the transmission fluid for you to some high performance stuff and that supposedly eliminates the problem. Other guys just live with it since Audi tells you to not change the transmission fluid . Its something to look out for though.

I have had mine for just short of 50,000 miles and the car has performed wonderfully. I do not recommend it though if you do a lot of tight city driving because it could be annoying with parking and such, the thing is huge. My father bought his at the same time I bought mine and he swears he will never buy another car other than an A8 (so far he has kept his word from a D2 to a D3 now). His has had a small problem though. He has the electronic door assist that closes the doors for you when they're not shut properly. All four of his failed one by one and were annoying to replace but thankfully it was an option on these cars (one that mine does not have ). Other than that there are no problems to report. Both of ours have performed faithfully and never left us stranded, nor have they broken down on us.

I always ponder selling mine for an S4 only because I prefer something smaller and sportier but I always find it hard parting with this magnificent car.

Edit: what gentleman would I be if I didn't show my little lady

Last edited by Jan PL S6; 05-05-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Vehicles
      1995 urS6, 2005 A8L
      05-05-2012 07:12 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      Timing belt on a luxury car?

Pfffffshhfffft.

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta, 1983 GTI
      05-05-2012 07:13 PM #7
      Thanks guys, I've been looking at ones that are around 70-80k miles. I have access to a vagcom and would be taking it along and scanning any car I would be interested in. Ive been checking on some maintenance parts to see some costs and they seem to be somewhat reasonable considering this was an $80k new, even the timing belt kit looks to cost under 600 for everything and would just eat a day of my time to change it. Overall they seem to be a pretty decent deal from what I can tell. Looks like its time to push the Jetta and do some real searching for the right one

Vehicles
      1995 urS6, 2005 A8L
      05-05-2012 07:19 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 93VR6Passat View Post
      Thanks guys, I've been looking at ones that are around 70-80k miles. I have access to a vagcom and would be taking it along and scanning any car I would be interested in. Ive been checking on some maintenance parts to see some costs and they seem to be somewhat reasonable considering this was an $80k new, even the timing belt kit looks to cost under 600 for everything and would just eat a day of my time to change it. Overall they seem to be a pretty decent deal from what I can tell. Looks like its time to push the Jetta and do some real searching for the right one
      Go for it

Doesn't hurt to check them out and I have yet to hear someone go wrong with their choice in this car. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta, 1983 GTI
      05-05-2012 07:23 PM #9
      Thanks Jan, Ill certainly keep you in mind if I have any quick questions

Vehicles
      1995 urS6, 2005 A8L
      05-05-2012 07:41 PM #10
      VAG Iron blocks plus timing belt = Iron block engine with engineered obsolescence if the timing belt is never serviced. Otherwise they'd probably just run forever and VAG can't have that noise... can't make money on engine replacements if timing belts aren't snapping.
      Yes, yes I know. The big bad VAG man is always out to get us They did switch over to the chain in a few years but then you get this nasty thing which also needs to be replaced around the same time.

05-05-2012 07:55 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Jan PL S6 View Post
      Yes, yes I know. The big bad VAG man is always out to get us They did switch over to the chain in a few years but then you get this nasty thing which also needs to be replaced around the same time.

Thats a beautiful image.

Been eyeing some D2's lately.
      x

Vehicles
      64 baja bug, 05 Yukon Denali, 04 W8 passat with a reliable 2.7t swap
      05-05-2012 08:13 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Jan PL S6 View Post

not sure why, but this picture kinda makes me want to get a high milegae one just so i can pull it and replace those chains, guilds, and tensioners. it looks like fun to me
      Quote Originally Posted by tdogg74 View Post
      The sound is literally like if you put your head in a toilet bowl, pursed your lips, and said "oooooo".

Vehicles
      1995 urS6, 2005 A8L
      05-05-2012 08:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by eurotekms View Post
      Thats a beautiful image.

Been eyeing some D2's lately.
      IIRC I'm pretty sure the D2 runs on a belt so unfortunately you don't get to see this engineering mindf*ck on the D2

Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
      not sure why, but this picture kinda makes me want to get a high milegae one just so i can pull it and replace those chains, guilds, and tensioners. it looks like fun to me
      Not 100% sure if the story is the same on the A8 but I know on the 4.2 V8 on the S4's these chains are located on the back of the engine.. meaning you will have to pull the engine out to toy with it. If you can enjoy this job I offer you a firm handshake

It's not like VAG can't engineer something that'll last forever... it's that they want you to buy their cars more often.
      I'm actually quite curious as to what car you have found that IS engineered to run forever lol