Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JDs archives: Little Big Fun (A4 vs 323i vs Contour SVT vs G20 vs 9-3 vs Jetta)

Vehicles
      3.2 VR6 4motion
      05-06-2012 07:42 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      The wheel/tire choice for the base 323i in this test is obviously what we like to call "lease spec".
      Lease spec

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      05-06-2012 07:53 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00 View Post
      I think it's the cult car of the 90's of what the E30 was to the 80's.
      Hardly.

Interesting comparison test though. I agree with everything they said about the Jetta.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      05-06-2012 09:09 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Hardly.
      Based on?

BTW, am I the only one that notice the Jetta's NON-PRODUCTION COLOR?
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

4. 05-06-2012 09:11 PM #29
      Based on?

You could get that color in 99. You could also get both of the snot greens at various points in time. There was also a copper-ish color if my memory works. If. If...

Future Yellow
      Last edited by Jrod511; 05-06-2012 at 09:15 PM.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      Bent M
      05-06-2012 09:26 PM #30
      I, too, remember reading this.

April 1999. I was 16 years old, about to turn 17. My lust for cars was just hitting its Apex.
      I TCL.

6. 05-06-2012 09:53 PM #31
      Based on?

Wrong. Well, sort of.

Futura Yellow AND Cosmic Green were both limited (very VERY limited) production colors that were available on the 99.5 Jetta at launch.

I worked for VWoA very briefly, and I managed to dig up the production numbers. I want to say there were 50 - 100 Futura Yellow Jettas made, and 100+ Cosmic Green Jettas.

So, it IS production, but so rare, you will likely never see one.
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon
      2015 Toyota Sienna SE, Predawn Gray Mica/Black

Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

7. 05-06-2012 10:14 PM #32
      I miss when the A4 and 3 series were this cheap. Now a 328i can cost up to $50,000. Audi did a great job with the B5 A4. The inside and outside of car look very modern.

Vehicles
      2008 Jetta 2.5, 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 5 speed (250k miles and being rebuilt), 2008 Ninja 650R
      05-06-2012 10:51 PM #33
      I can't see how they didn't like the instrument cluster of the Jetta. It's just so elegant and nice. It's clean and legible also.
      IBEW Local 24

05-06-2012 11:33 PM #34
      Based on?

Sorry, I've seen 3 Futura Yellow Jettas. There wasn't a lot of them made, but they were there. All 3 of them were VR6s.

I've also seen 2 Cosmic Green Jettas. One was a 2.0 and the other was Paul's (Cosmic TDI) TDI.

Surprisingly, I've only seen 1 Jazz Blue 99.5 Golf. Weird thing is that the 99.5 Golfs had Jazz Blue listed as a stock color, but FY and Cg weren't options on the Jetta. I still have the literature from the 99.5 MY somewhere around here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green
      The real world is more ruthless than TCL, and sensitivity was never one of Darwin's strong points.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      05-07-2012 12:38 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      You could get that color in 99. You could also get both of the snot greens at various points in time. There was also a copper-ish color if my memory works. If. If...
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      Wrong. Well, sort of.

Futura Yellow AND Cosmic Green were both limited (very VERY limited) production colors that were available on the 99.5 Jetta at launch.

I worked for VWoA very briefly, and I managed to dig up the production numbers. I want to say there were 50 - 100 Futura Yellow Jettas made, and 100+ Cosmic Green Jettas.

So, it IS production, but so rare, you will likely never see one.
      Told you Jrod!

I worked for a VW dealer at the time, and ordering was a part of my job. We tried to order some, and the rep said it was discontinued....immediately. The midwest never received any.
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      05-07-2012 12:40 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by VertigoGTI View Post
      ... FY and Cg weren't options on the Jetta.
      They may have not been on the brochures, but WERE in the DEALER ORDER GUIDE.

Trust me, I looked at them everyday. I do remember they were in the early guides, and deleted in later order guides.
      RIP Cosmic TDI

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      05-07-2012 01:02 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by brandonwillyumz View Post
      I can't see how they didn't like the instrument cluster of the Jetta. It's just so elegant and nice. It's clean and legible also.
      Agreed

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Honda Civic LX sedan 5M
      05-07-2012 08:59 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      I remember reading this article like it was yesterday.
      ^This. I still have my copy of this issue. 2 1/2 years after getting it in the mail, I walked into Carmax and bought a 2000 SVT Contour with 9xxx miles from GolfVIDriver. It is everything C/D said it is. Thanks for scanning and posting!

2nd grade?!

Holy crap, I'm old.
      This, too. :/ Get off my lawn!
      Last edited by TJSwoboda; 05-07-2012 at 09:04 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      This Corvette has a 300 hp LT1.
      Still.. if I wanted something that rode like a dump truck, I'll just get a dump truck.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      05-07-2012 09:05 PM #39
      Told you Jrod!

I worked for a VW dealer at the time, and ordering was a part of my job. We tried to order some, and the rep said it was discontinued....immediately. The midwest never received any.
      I know of a Jetta that was in the Chicago area in the early 2000's. It may have been purchased elsewhere, though.
      I TCL.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      05-07-2012 09:09 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      I miss when the A4 and 3 series were this cheap. Now a 328i can cost up to $50,000. Audi did a great job with the B5 A4. The inside and outside of car look very modern.
      I hate to be "that guy," but the current 3-series and A4 are cheaper using real, inflation-adjusted, dollars, than the cars in this review.

Example: Even the bargain-based 323i in this review was $28,200 in 1998. Assuming a conservative 2.5% inflation rate, that is worth OVER $40,000 in 2012 dollars. You can currently snap up a custom-ordered 2013 328i with sport package for $40,000 -- a MUCH more solid car than that old 323i.

Same assessment goes for the Audi.

The only category of cars that is not at an inflation-adjusted historically cheap price is exotic and supercars. Those things tend to perpetually increase in price wtih or exceeding the inflation rate.
      I TCL.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2014 Mazda 6, 2015 Chevy SS
      05-07-2012 09:15 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      ^This. I still have my copy of this issue. 2 1/2 years after getting it in the mail, I walked into Carmax and bought a 2000 SVT Contour with 9xxx miles from GolfVIDriver. It is everything C/D said it is. Thanks for scanning and posting!

This, too. :/ Get off my lawn!
      You're a little bit older than me, then.

But, I did convince my parents to buy a 2002 Infiniti G20 Sport, and reading this article way back when was the start of the love affair for me. They loved that car, but it was just too small...ended up selling it after only two years. If I had more disposable income at that point in my life, I would have bought it...and I'd probably still be dailying that right now instead of my GTI.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia
      05-07-2012 09:20 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by brandonwillyumz View Post
      Ditto. I love mine. I'm probably the only one, but I couldn't tolerate the Audi's or BMW's all-red clusters.
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Honda Civic LX sedan 5M
      05-07-2012 10:08 PM #43
      You're a little bit older than me, then.

But, I did convince my parents to buy a 2002 Infiniti G20 Sport, and reading this article way back when was the start of the love affair for me. They loved that car, but it was just too small...ended up selling it after only two years. If I had more disposable income at that point in my life, I would have bought it...and I'd probably still be dailying that right now instead of my GTI.
      The article also piqued my interest in these, but I've never had the chance to drive one. A lot of people seem to think that they were just tarted up Sentras, but as far as I can tell everyone who actually drove a G20t, especially the three pedal version, seemed to love them.
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      This Corvette has a 300 hp LT1.
      Still.. if I wanted something that rode like a dump truck, I'll just get a dump truck.

19. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      05-07-2012 10:32 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      The article also piqued my interest in these, but I've never had the chance to drive one. A lot of people seem to think that they were just tarted up Sentras, but as far as I can tell everyone who actually drove a G20t, especially the three pedal version, seemed to love them.
      Unfortunately the beloved SR20DE became less potent as they made changes for stricter emissions year after year.
      Imagine what the G20 could have been with even a modest intercooled turbo set up.

*edit modest
      Last edited by BRealistic; 05-07-2012 at 10:55 PM.
      Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2014 Mazda 6, 2015 Chevy SS
      05-07-2012 10:34 PM #45
      Unfortunately the beloved SR20DE became less potent as they made changes for stricter emissions year after year.
      Imagine what the G20 could have been with even a modern intercooled turbo set up.
      Or even something like a Civic Si motor, that would be a damn hoot with the LSD that came with the "t" (and later, Sport) model.

21. 05-08-2012 12:07 AM #46
      I like how they state that the Jettas blue lit dash was blurry, yet in the picture they provided it is the sharpest and most legible.

I too have this issue stored away somewhere.

22. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-08-2012 12:11 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by gizmopop View Post
      I like how they state that the Jettas blue lit dash was blurry, yet in the picture they provided it is the sharpest and most legible.

I too have this issue stored away somewhere.
      yes- the VW gauges were the best if they were trying to read the gauges with a Polaroid picture.
      Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

23. 05-08-2012 12:15 AM #48
      yes- the VW gauges were the best if they were trying to read the gauges with a Polaroid picture.
      Apparently the person taking the pictures didn't get the hang of the polaroid for the others.

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-08-2012 12:21 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by gizmopop View Post
      Apparently the person taking the pictures didn't get the hang of the polaroid for the others.
      Not sure if serious.

Do you take pictures of your gauges, then print them out, to sew how fast you are growing?

25. 05-08-2012 12:28 AM #50
      Not sure if serious.

Do you take pictures of your gauges, then print them out, to sew how fast you are growing?

Anyway... No. But I had MKIV 99.5 Jetta GLS VR6, a 2002 GTI 337 and still have an 04 R32.
      None of them were blurry or hard to read at night.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast