Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: A3, 2.0 Shifter Bushings change-out

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '85 1.8 GTI, '96 2.0 Jetta Trek
      05-06-2012 01:08 PM #1
      Hey guys! Need to replace the shifter bushings on my ’96, A3 Jetta 2.0 for the first time. According to the Bentley manual, it looks like a doable DIY self job. I am perplexed about changing out the “barrel shaped’ orange bushing that the main shift rod travels through though. It looks like it was pressed in at the factory with some special tool. Has anyone replaced theirs before? Any tips on how to do it? Do you just cut off the old one and slide the new one on over the shift rod and squeeze it into place with a lot of silicone spray – lol!? Looks like a real challenge to me…

Thanks for any help you can share!

Eric

Vehicles
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      05-06-2012 02:06 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Reliable View Post
      Hey guys! Need to replace the shifter bushings on my ’96, A3 Jetta 2.0 for the first time. According to the Bentley manual, it looks like a doable DIY self job. I am perplexed about changing out the “barrel shaped’ orange bushing that the main shift rod travels through though. It looks like it was pressed in at the factory with some special tool. Has anyone replaced theirs before? Any tips on how to do it? Do you just cut off the old one and slide the new one on over the shift rod and squeeze it into place with a lot of silicone spray – lol!? Looks like a real challenge to me…

Thanks for any help you can share!

Eric
      The shift rod has to come out to get the orange bushings installed. There should be 2 total, one in the shifter box under the car, then another closer to the trans... one at each end of the long shift rod, basically.

They suck to install

If memory serves me.... the exhaust has to be dropped to get room to drop the shifter box down to get access to get the orange bushing in.
      I may be wrong, so wait for someone like germancarnut to chime in who has done it more recently.
      If I am correct, inspect the bottom of the shifter ball for any slop, as you'll have the shifter box out and now would be the time to get the ball replaced if it is sloppy since it can only be done once the shifter box has been dropped.
      020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '85 1.8 GTI, '96 2.0 Jetta Trek
      05-06-2012 03:19 PM #3
      Thanks Broke! Didn’t realize there were two orange bushings. I was referring to the one up front under the hood. I need to replace the shift ball shaft up front as it is worn and was going to do the bushings at the same time. Do I still need to remove the shift rod to replace this one? I hope not; really did not want to make this a big project. But then again, it always seems turn into one no matter what I do – lol!

Thanks again…

Eric

4. 05-10-2012 12:50 AM #4
      FYI,
      We make a delrin shift ball to replace the soft factory one. $15 with free shipping.