Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      05-06-2012 09:41 PM #1
      The euro folks rave about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. Is there anyone on our side of the pond that's running with them?

Reviews:
      http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Go...metric-2_4.htm

Tire Rack:
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1+Asymmetric+2

There's not much of a customer base at the Rack for these. Should we expect tires purchased in the US to perform the same as those purchased in Europe?
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      sold: 2012 TT RS Stasis, 2008 CLS63 AMG, 2008 BMW 335i Dinan S3, 2008 BMW M6, 2007 BMW 335i Dinan
      05-06-2012 10:03 PM #2
      Cant say anything about the Asymmetric 2 but I did have the Asymmetric (two sets on a BMW 335I).
      I liked them. Not very loud and handling was very good. Tires didnt roll onto the sidewalls in spirited turns. I had Michelins before that and then had the Pilot super sports after.
      The Michelins are definitely louder and they had better handling when it is dry but the Eagles were outstanding in the rain. I lived in Arkansas when I had the eagles and had no problems in the heavy rains there. Had to take someone to the hospital 23 miles in one of those storms where people pull over and wait it out. I was able to get tot he hospital very quickly and the handling was never an issue. After it was over I realized I was driving a lot faster than I should have been but it was a life or death emergency and she lived. I have neve had any tire handle that well in the rain but I havent ttried all that many.
      I am in Arizona now so I went back to Michelin Pilot super sports.
      If you live anywhere that it rains on a regular basis then I would consider the Asymmetrics. They are a good all around tire. Not the best dry but they make up for it when it is wet.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      05-06-2012 10:24 PM #3
      Thanks Quisp. That is very helpful indeed. I'm also glad to hear that the emergency had a happy ending.
      2012 TT, Brilliant Black, Black Alcantera, Heated Seats, Mag Ride, custom JL Audio system with a Pioneer AVIC Z140BH h/u, and a really big go button under my right foot.

Vehicles
      '09/TTS/Roaster/APR Tuned 100 Octane, '11 S5 Cabrio
      05-07-2012 06:21 AM #4
      I had the asymmetric and they scraped the rear wells. iMod had the same prob. I thought they were loud too
      '09 TTS/Roadster/APR Tuned/100 Octane - 1st TTS delivered in the US, '11 S5 Cabrio

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      05-07-2012 11:32 AM #5
      Just installed the Asymmetric 2s after the craptastic Conti 3's **** the bed at 14K. Love them so far.. much quieter, similar dry grip but much better wet grip. These tires also seem wider in the same size (255-35-19) and have rim protectors which the Conti's were lacking. They are also made in Germany so I can't see why they would be any different that what they are running over there.

So far so good.
      Last edited by caj1; 05-07-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      05-07-2012 11:33 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Fissues View Post
      I had the asymmetric and they scraped the rear wells. iMod had the same prob. I thought they were loud too
      Asymmetric 1 or 2? They aren't the same tire.. different tread pattern and newer technology.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      sold: 2012 TT RS Stasis, 2008 CLS63 AMG, 2008 BMW 335i Dinan S3, 2008 BMW M6, 2007 BMW 335i Dinan
      05-07-2012 11:40 AM #7
      Maybe it had something to do with the type of car that they were on. I just got my first Audi last week so I can only speak for how they worked on the 2 BMW 335i that i had. I found them to be quieter than Michelin Pilot sport 2. They dont last very long but the Pilot Sport 2 did not last too long either (that could be due to Arizona heat) Pilot Super Sports I did not have very long so I cant comment on how they hold up or how they are in the rain. I know that if I were to buy a set of tires today I wold go with the Pilot Super Sports based on whre i live and drive now. Another thing I have found from my experience and talking to others is that, in this class of tire(I think it is called Max Summer Performance or something like that) quiet is relative to other tires in that class and that it changes very dramatically as the tire wears. What is quiet today may not be in a month.

There are some thoughts on tires on this thread also

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-on-this-thing

8. Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 11:46 AM #8
      Guess you already knew about that thread. Sorry.
      "Craptacular" is a new one to me but something i will be adding to my vocabulary. I like that one.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      05-07-2012 09:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
      Guess you already knew about that thread. Sorry.
      "Craptacular" is a new one to me but something i will be adding to my vocabulary. I like that one.
      LOL. Like the word, do ya? Very descriptive and leaves no questions.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT Base Model
      05-09-2012 08:46 AM #10
      Another interesting way of reviewing the tire:
      http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Audi/TT.htm

This tire is on my short list. If I discovered a critical reason to replace the RE050A's today, these would be the tires I select. The only reason the OEM tires haven't been replaced is because I only have 2000 miles on them thus far. I'm hoping for a pot-hole event or perhaps a sidewall puncture to give me the excuse to ditch them. Perhaps I'll start aiming for holes.