Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: vac. pump question

1. 05-07-2012 08:06 AM #1
      Are 1.6 vacuum pumps adjustable (vacuum settings). I switched to Scirocco 10,1 disc, and it feels like manual (non power assit). Had the pump rebuilt. What vac. should it pull @ what rpm?

2. 05-08-2012 11:47 AM #2
      No they are not. I don't know what the vacuum reading should be. I never measured mine when I owned the '85 Jetta TD.

--Nate

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1977 VW Scirocco 1.8/Weber carbs, 1986 VW Golf Diesel, 1978 Rabbit 1.6
      05-09-2012 11:00 AM #3
      Which vacuum pump do you have? The early diaphram types require frequent maintenance, where the newer rotary vane types will go years and years. My '86 has the rotary vane pump, produces 21 inches of vacuum steadily.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      05-10-2012 07:50 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by jellowsubmarine View Post
      Are 1.6 vacuum pumps adjustable (vacuum settings). I switched to Scirocco 10,1 disc, and it feels like manual (non power assit). Had the pump rebuilt. What vac. should it pull @ what rpm?
      if you switched to bigger brakes, and used the original master cylinder, it MIGHT cause issues.

quick check as to if the booster is getting vacuum, fire it up, take the vacuum line off the brake booster, and check that it has decent vacuum. put your finger over it, see if it sucks pretty good. its not a very scientific way to test it, but it doesnt need a specific vacuum either..

did you check either of the check valves in the setup? assuming you have a diaphragm style vac pump?