Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you mod a GT3RS?

Vehicles
      2013 Mustang Boss 302
      05-07-2012 01:45 PM #26
      If I was going to use it on the track, sure.

Vehicles
      1999 Nissan Quest GLE, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      05-07-2012 01:50 PM #27
      Yes.

Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      05-07-2012 01:51 PM #28
      Yes, I would bag it, negative camber, and get some low offset, wide wheels.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv-sold; 2003 yellow SRT-4-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built-sold ; 2011 Mk6

05-07-2012 01:52 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeSAABt View Post
      how are those mods track specific? They are just driving specific, you don't think you can appreciate some suspension setup on the street? People are getting a bit silly about it "not being on the track" let's not forget this is a ROAD CAR. The guy didn't buy a Radical or something he bought a Porsche and drove it where most GT3 owners drive their car, THE ROAD.

Say you're in the market for a gt3 rs, you've got two options
      1: "Yeah it's a great car, added a few mods and just drove it around and enjoyed it. never got it on the track myself"
      or 2: "Yeah I'm big into track days, this car was factory built for the track so I do as Porsche intended and flog this thing mercilessly on a weekly basis. I push this machine to it's limit"

so you're gonna buy car 2?
      I think most people would opt for car 1, but that's not the point - the mods are a complete waste on the street. The car is intense enough from the factory, you will notice the difference before/after little, if at all. That mod list is for someone who wants to extract the last .01% out of the car on the track.

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      05-07-2012 01:55 PM #30
      I know a couple of GT3 RSs that are modded for track use. Here's one. I noticed weird cambers, full cage (instead of just the stock rear cage), suspension (it's lower), wheels (Ultraleggeras are probably lighter than the stockers) and an exhaust loud enough not to pass this specific track's noise limit (hence the additional mufflers).

Last edited by Son; 05-07-2012 at 02:00 PM.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      05-07-2012 01:58 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bee View Post
      That color combo is IMO the best one for the 997.1 GT3 RS. But the sports seats instead of the buckets would be dealbreaker for me. How are you supposed to track a car like that with no proper buckets?
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

7. 05-07-2012 03:29 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by DTMTrini View Post
      I don't get it...because it's "track ready" from factory means it cant be modified?
      I don't see why the owner can't modify one. Especially if it looks good & is beneficial to the car.
      I was not saying "it can't be modified". I was merely saying, why would you? The GT3RS is ready to go as is.

8. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      05-07-2012 03:39 PM #33
      The sad thing is that I can already envision that car and the owner getting his ass handed to him by a bone stock 996 with R compound tires. If there is one thing I saw A LOT of when working with PCA racing is owners who dumped tons of money into their car and not understanding why it wasn't going faster than the competition. There were dozens of people every year which would show up with a $100k+ car that had tens of thousands of dollars in modifications. Some of them would almost throw a fit when a "lower" class car caught them, lapped them, and then won the race. They didn't understand that the BEST modification you can make to any automobile is the "nut behind the wheel" and not the metal on the car.

Club Racing was a great exercise for people to really push their cars to the edge. It also was a great exercise for the "more money than brains" crowd to finally figure out that throwing money at a car doesn't necessarily make it better than the one you started with.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

9. Member
      05-07-2012 03:44 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin FaKiN spLits View Post
      Yes, I would bag it, negative camber, and get some low offset, wide wheels.
      you forgot to add stickers, what kind of doucheBro-ride would it be with out the stickers. And of course the driver would need a flat brim

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-07-2012 04:15 PM #35
      I would ABSOLUTELY mode the living hell out of the GT3RS if I owned one. Those cars were designed (ok, sold as) a track day cars. Anyone who frequents track days knows that sooner or later you will be off the track and potentially damaging something. Therefore these are not suitable as collectors items at all. Furthermore anyone who buys a used GT3RS should not be expecting a mint car that has never been driven on the track. That'll be just naive.

So yeah, mod away!

11. 05-07-2012 04:17 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      The sad thing is that I can already envision that car and the owner getting his ass handed to him by a bone stock 996 with R compound tires. If there is one thing I saw A LOT of when working with PCA racing is owners who dumped tons of money into their car and not understanding why it wasn't going faster than the competition. There were dozens of people every year which would show up with a $100k+ car that had tens of thousands of dollars in modifications. Some of them would almost throw a fit when a "lower" class car caught them, lapped them, and then won the race. They didn't understand that the BEST modification you can make to any automobile is the "nut behind the wheel" and not the metal on the car.

Club Racing was a great exercise for people to really push their cars to the edge. It also was a great exercise for the "more money than brains" crowd to finally figure out that throwing money at a car doesn't necessarily make it better than the one you started with.

obin
      Obin, So do you think that asking price is worth it?

12. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 04:30 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      Obin, So do you think that asking price is worth it?
      $110k for a 997 GT3 RS? Definitely. I'd buy that car even without those mods. That is a fantastic car which has barely been driven. It's a steal of a deal. If I was in the position to buy it I would mods or not. I wouldn't personally do those mods as the car is already faster than I am but I also don't consider those to be a waste of money which I would remove from the car either. Everything looks good, professional, and tasteful. I was just criticizing the sort of person that does those mods and then understands that they don't really make the car $50k faster than your competition. That car is fast enough as is especially on a track.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      05-07-2012 04:32 PM #38
      The only mods you should do on a track oriented street car is make it more track ready:

suspension
      tires
      ecu
      exhaust

and all that's been done. I think it's in good taste. The body mods are the only that I don't care either way.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      Moderators: lock it up. TCL is not worthy of this thread.

Lock it or ban me, because one of us has to go.

335- 12.2@115

Vehicles
      2013 Mustang Boss 302
      05-07-2012 04:34 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      The only mods you should do on a track oriented street car is make it more track ready:

suspension
      tires
      ecu
      exhaust

and all that's been done. I think it's in good taste. The body mods are the only that I don't care either way.
      Brake pads.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI MT 2DR
      05-07-2012 04:44 PM #40
      Yes. Because RWB.

Vehicles
      15 ish volkswagens. Now a miata JDM FTW
      05-07-2012 04:50 PM #41
      If i won the lotto id buy 2. One id put on bags and notch the frame so it scrapes. Just to post pics on here and ruin everyone's day. Rusted hood, roof rack the works

17. 05-07-2012 05:00 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGT8V80 View Post
      wait it ass track specific mods yet has never seen the track wtfbbq

what a waste
      I'd say he listed the mods to justify inflating the price, but added "never tracked" for the same reason. He wanted to make some money back on the parts on a car clearly intended to punted on the track.

Get an ECU dump and see how much he was flirting with the redline before purchasing.

18. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 05:02 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Mintyy View Post
      Get an ECU dump and see how much he was flirting with the redline before purchasing.
      That's what I love about my Durametric Diagnostic Tool. It can really tell you a bit about how the previous owner used the car. Every redline and every engine ignition is recorded as well as codes that a regular OBD2 code reader can't find.

obin

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      05-07-2012 05:09 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Poor car
      Why? Its not like its the dragon Vette or anything. All of those mods can be used and seem to be pretty well thought out. And all of you who whine about it never seeing the track are being dumb. How many street cars are running hipo tires, 3 piece wheels, coilover suspensions, ECU modifications, full exhausts, etc... and never see any sort of track work? He did the track mods and liked it. Its no different from someone modifying their daily driver for more performance. He might have never seen max and others havent either.
      Looking for a car event on the East Coast? Check here

I have an idea, we will try it my way first...and then we will finish.

MCFC

20. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 05:16 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by morecarsthanbrains View Post
      How many street cars are running hipo tires, 3 piece wheels, coilover suspensions, ECU modifications, full exhausts, etc... and never see any sort of track work?
      EXACTLY. Here is what caught my eye:

Euro ride height, & corner balance
      Moton Clubsport coilovers w/Eibach springs
      That guy did it right. Putting coilovers on a GT3 RS and not getting a corner balance is DIW.

obin

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Fiesta ST, Jeep 4.0, BMW e12
      05-07-2012 05:25 PM #46
      There's a guy over on 6speed who is modding his 4 liter:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...mbo-4-0-a.html

22. Member
      Vehicles
      D3 A8L with all the fixins, 4door MK3 VR6T, Roofless MK3 VR6T, Vanagon, Passat Wagon, Jazz Blue VR6
      05-07-2012 05:26 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by superjario18 View Post
      the ad says:

OVER $50K IN UPGRADES

GMG harness rollbar:
      GMG Dog Bone Kit
      GMG WC front and rear sway bars
      GMG GT toe steer kit
      GMG GT thrust arm bushing kit
      GMG competition alignment

GMG Sports Center Section exhaust

Euro rear bumper

GIAC software flash for 91octane fuel
      Porsche GT2 side skirts
      I would want all those things sans the garbage GIAC software..
      ... But I wouldnt buy an RS for the street.. Give me a Guards Red GT3 with H&R Coilovers, Swaybars and some Champion Wheels and everything GMG wants tho throw at the motor and AWE software.
      exklusiv

Vehicles
      mkiv gti (killed) mkiv .:r32 (unicorn sh!tbox).
      05-07-2012 06:06 PM #48
      nope.

Quote Originally Posted by sicksappeal View Post
      If I owned a 996 I would modify it. I feel like the 997 and newer are still fresh enough cars that they can hang with most modern competition, to a certain degree.
      I have been thinking about a 996 for the longest time, i just can't get passed the interior. i even went as far as putting a list together, various parts i would "need" to make it wanted in my own eyes. all in all the cost of the car and parts wouldn't be worth it. i might as well get a 997, it is perfection, for me at least. when it comes to that, at the very most i would get some coils and spacers combo'd with sticky tires on lobsters (if it didn't come with) and call it good.. one day

Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      That color combo is IMO the best one for the 997.1 GT3 RS.
      i couldn't agree more. that silver w/orange does it for me every single time, my absolute favorite 911.
      Last edited by foundubbedriver; 05-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.
      @j__cermak <-- (double underscore).

Vehicles
      '00 Boxster Wannabe
      05-07-2012 06:22 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I'm surprised it's got all that and the guy didn't even spring for the PCCBs.
      PCCBs aren't as desirable on track as traditional iron rotors.
      Quote Originally Posted by iamnotemo View Post
      ...I am jealous of your shift knob. That is a shape I love.
      Quote Originally Posted by elementpb View Post
      your mom sounds like my kind of lady. is she single and/or discrete?

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      05-07-2012 06:48 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by superjario18 View Post
      the ad says:

OVER $50K IN UPGRADES

GMG harness rollbar:
      GMG Dog Bone Kit
      GMG WC front and rear sway bars
      GMG GT toe steer kit
      GMG GT thrust arm bushing kit
      GMG competition alignment

GMG Sports Center Section exhaust

Euro rear bumper

GIAC software flash for 91octane fuel
      Porsche GT2 side skirts
      is that really worth 50k? 50k for some bars, an alignment and a tune? porsches are severely expensive to mod...
      '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast