Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R8 anyone?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      05-15-2012 02:11 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post
      Hahahah!

Actually, she would've preferred that I get metallic orange or green or even Sprint Blue. She just doesn't like red sports cars. She thinks it's too cliché and I'm creeping up on middle agedness

- Jeremy -
      Oh yeah, of course when I suggested Misano Red as an alternate bright color ( good contrast to black intakes and grill) she said the same thing cliche thing yours did!

When she saw Sprint Blue on an S5 she thought it was too much of "Barbie car color"

I'm having a tow hitch trailer with a seat and seatbelt built for her for road trips....

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HONEY!!! Oh... no.... you're sitting.... BACK THERE ...
      Last edited by YYC Dubber; 05-15-2012 at 02:15 AM.
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....

Vehicles
      2010 TTS
      05-15-2012 04:55 AM #37
      Perhaps you need to grow up and get a Maserati Quattroporte.

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      05-15-2012 01:25 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF View Post
      Perhaps you need to grow up and get a Maserati Quattroporte.
      He's probably got another 30 years before driving one of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Member
      05-20-2012 02:40 AM #39
      The R8 is a nice car offcourse and don't let the 0-60 times fool ya'll on the V8...it is more than capable on track...I have driven the Coupe on track a few times. I have also driven the V10 Coupe and Spyder on streets a couple of times and to me the V10 was less nimble compared to the V8. In that sense I felt the V8 was a much quicker car.

The points I wanted to get across were as follows...;
      1) Not a good idea to go bankrupt for a car...not a smart move thus IF you MUST look at the numbers then best to walk away. It is only an Audi afterall...!

2) If #1 is not an issue then you really must follow your dreams and make things happen though note that you are buying a PERFORMANCE car and thus not built to carry luggage etc...

3) With point #2 in mind, you will need another vehicle made to carry the things you haul around as your lifestyle dictates - plenty of low cost options available here however if point #1 applies then do walk away.

To me it seems like a fairly easy decision - you need two types of cars...;
      a) A performance car which also makes you feel good when you choose - the R8 is a great fit.
      2) A daily driver that can haul luggage/lifestyle gear around - well, any SUV will do...just pick one.
      Last edited by 996cab; 05-20-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      05-20-2012 10:38 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by 996cab View Post
      The R8 is a nice car offcourse and don't let the 0-60 times fool ya'll on the V8...it is more than capable on track...I have driven the Coupe on track a few times. I have also driven the V10 Coupe and Spyder on streets a couple of times and to me the V10 was instatntly less nimble compared to the V8. In that sense I felt the V8 was a much quicker car.

1) Not a good idea to go bankrupt for a car...not a smart move thus IF you MUST look at the numbers then best to walk away. It is only an Audi afterall...!

2) If #1 is not an issue then you really must follow your dreams and make things happen though note that you are buying a PERFORMANCE car and thus not built to carry luggage etc...

3) With point #2 in mind, you will need another vehicle made to carry the things you haul around as your lifestyle dictates - plenty of low cost options available here however if point #1 applies then do walk away.

a) A performance car which also makes you feel good when you choose - the R8 is a great fit.
      2) A daily driver that can haul luggage/lifestyle gear around - well, any SUV will do...just pick one.
      Love the R8 but I'd say from purely a performance perspective the TT-RS will out perform it the v8 for a fraction of the cost and about $2,700 in upgrades:

Stage 1 ecu tune
      Tires
      Brakes- lines, fluid, pads

If one wanted and r8 v8 *mostly* for the aesthetic then that's a different story.

Last edited by J662; 05-20-2012 at 10:50 AM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      05-21-2012 11:18 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by 996cab View Post
      The R8 is a nice car offcourse and don't let the 0-60 times fool ya'll on the V8...it is more than capable on track...I have driven the Coupe on track a few times. I have also driven the V10 Coupe and Spyder on streets a couple of times and to me the V10 was less nimble compared to the V8. In that sense I felt the V8 was a much quicker car.

You pretty much put my thoughts into words with one exception...I will never own an SUV, just don't like them. My MINI has enough room in it for my hauling needs, on the outside occasion I would need to haul something bigger than it could handle, I'd just rent a truck.
      Since I started this thread, I've made a #4 to your list. Last week MINI announced their upcoming limited edition GP2 to close out the R56 generation. I'm now first on my dealer's list to get one when they come out this fall. More power, bigger brakes, less weight, sounds fun.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

7. Member
      05-21-2012 02:17 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      Since I started this thread, I've made a #4 to your list. Last week MINI announced their upcoming limited edition GP2 to close out the R56 generation. I'm now first on my dealer's list to get one when they come out this fall. More power, bigger brakes, less weight, sounds fun.
      For the price they're going to charge, you might as well just buy an Exige. You can always attach a trailer to it

- Jeremy -

8. Member
      Vehicles
      05-21-2012 02:23 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post
      For the price they're going to charge, you might as well just buy an Exige. You can always attach a trailer to it

- Jeremy -
      Don't want an Exige, I likes my MINI's.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      2010 TTS
      05-22-2012 01:13 AM #44
      The man who would choose a Mini over an Exige is an unusual man indeed...

10. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2012 09:44 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF View Post
      The man who would choose a Mini over an Exige is an unusual man indeed...
      Well....can't exactly carry my bikes and gear with an Exige, not looking for a track toy only. Looking at the Nordschleife lap times on Fastest Laps list, they list our RS at 8:09, Exige with Performance Pack at 8:25, MINI announced at the GP2 intro last week that it does it in 8:23, very near the top for FWD cars. It's going to have the most power ever from any stock MINI, complete underbody aerodynamics (never before), six piston Brembos over the previous 4 pots, newly designed suspension, and special tires developed with Kumho.
      It's going to be pricey for a MINI no doubt, but it will be the best one developed from the factory yet, a pocket rocket with a modicum of practicality....wow kind of like a TT-RS! If you've never driven a MINI JCW I can tell you there's a lot to be said for the dynamics of something that underweighs our TT's by 600 lbs, the GP2 will be even more.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      05-23-2012 12:27 PM #46
      Well....can't exactly carry my bikes and gear with an Exige, not looking for a track toy only. Looking at the Nordschleife lap times on Fastest Laps list, they list our RS at 8:09, Exige with Performance Pack at 8:25, MINI announced at the GP2 intro last week that it does it in 8:23, very near the top for FWD cars. It's going to have the most power ever from any stock MINI, complete underbody aerodynamics (never before), six piston Brembos over the previous 4 pots, newly designed suspension, and special tires developed with Kumho.
      It's going to be pricey for a MINI no doubt, but it will be the best one developed from the factory yet, a pocket rocket with a modicum of practicality....wow kind of like a TT-RS! If you've never driven a MINI JCW I can tell you there's a lot to be said for the dynamics of something that underweighs our TT's by 600 lbs, the GP2 will be even more.
      Is this it?:

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2012 01:45 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by J662 View Post
      Is this it?:
      No, here:

Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      05-23-2012 02:32 PM #48
      No, here:

I like Mini's, wouldn't buy one, but that one looks pretty cool.

Vehicles
      05-23-2012 07:20 PM #49
      Don't want an Exige, I likes my MINI's.
      Why don't you just get this instead? I'm sure it's at about the same price point :

15. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012/TTRS/Suzuka Gray, Tech Package, Sports Exhaust
      05-23-2012 08:51 PM #50
      Im in Houston as well. What dealership are you referring to that sells a bunch for R8's?

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TTRS, 2012 Audi Q5 2.0TDI S-Line
      05-24-2012 12:09 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by J662 View Post
      Why don't you just get this instead? I'm sure it's at about the same price point :

It's actually a scary head-on looking car. Crazy !!!
      '12 Audi TT RS, Phantom Black, Manual
      Bose Sound System inc Audi Music Interface and TV Reception
      Blackout Pack by GmbH + GmbH 19' Titanium Look Alloy Wheels + Dark Window Tint
      Extended Leather Package With Heated Recaro Bucket Seats + LED Interior Lighting Package
      Adaptive Headlights & Tyre Pressure Monitor

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 02:30 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by joshsmith View Post
      It's actually a scary head-on looking car. Crazy !!!
      I know, right?

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 02:55 AM #53

BA!!!!

19. Member
      05-24-2012 03:11 AM #54
      I'm so disappointed that Peugeot pulled out of racing this year. I'm surprised Audi didn't follow suit. They have no competition now. What's the point in racing? What's the point in watching?

- Jeremy -

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-24-2012 09:12 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1111 View Post
      Im in Houston as well. What dealership are you referring to that sells a bunch for R8's?
      Momentum. Pretty sure they are amongst the top three volume Audi dealers in the US, and 2nd in R8 sales so they tell me (and have no reason to doubt.) My salesman is the top seller in the US, he sold 475 cars last year (!), over a 100 more than the second place CA.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2008 TurboX, 2006 S60R, 2004 R32, All 6MT-AWD!
      05-27-2012 10:12 PM #56
      On your trip to the megalopolis, have you passed the odd Lotus, Porsche, or even plain Vette driven at 60mph in the right lane around rush hour with driver almost looking over their shoulder, always a bright color. 1-2 points away from the max required to surrender license, cops can be vicious and take no pity on playboys.

This is why you should cherish the fact that to most your cars look "just like a TT", just like my R32 looked just like a Golf, or take the S4 I drive, some guy from security asked me how I liked the "little 4 series Audi".

R8 daily driver, exhibitionism reinvented LMFAO. Here in Appalachia you may never get home in something like that

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that Le Mans car an RS Spyder clone? I have the watch, was buying the R8 V10
      steering wheel for my S4 when parts guy made an offer i could not resist, battery died a month later but got 1/4th price:
      Last edited by Kandiru; 05-27-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12