Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1300 Miles to Drive (Need Help!!)

1. 05-07-2012 04:56 PM #1
      So just got a summer internship in Hampton Roads, VA and I will be driving there from Lincoln, NE, just over 1300 miles. I will be making this drive in my 1997 Windsor 5pd Jetta with 101k on it. I am looking for some tips on what to replace, clean, or upgrade before I go??? They are paying me $ .55per mile so I want to try to get the best mileage as possible.

So far I have cleaned the MAF, Changed fuel filter, new tires all the way around, and fixed cruise control.

Thanks again guys!!!

2. 05-07-2012 06:23 PM #2
      Just a little help guys

Vehicles
      1996 Golf GTI VR6
      05-07-2012 06:34 PM #3
      As long as the basics are done you should be fine,I would drive that in my Golf with 236k

Vehicles
      MK3 VR6's
      05-07-2012 06:34 PM #4
      Spark plugs, plug wires, air filter. Other than that, i'd say jump in and drive.
      SoWo

BHC- It's not about who we are, it's just how we feel.

Roll Tide.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      99 jetta Wolfsburg
      05-07-2012 06:37 PM #5
      Air filter, spark plugs, maybe fresh oil change if it's been a while and maybe flush your radiator if it's never been done yet . All pretty easy and cheap to do yourself

Vehicles
      97 Jetta VR swapped. 2010 CC VR Executive
      05-07-2012 08:53 PM #6
      Seafoam

Boo ya tapatalk! If you haven't got it yet get it!
      97 Jetta GL, OBDI VR swapped, 262 cams, GIAC chip, turn 2 style CAI, Magnaflow catback, 2.9 clone manifold, eurospec flywheel, B&G RS2 coilovers, MKIV front and rear seats

Vehicles
      03' 1.8t Gti -DD-,97'vr6 Gti -sold- 95' 2.slo Jetta -Sold-
      05-07-2012 09:10 PM #7
      basics and u should be ready to roll .. 101k i wouldnt even hesitate to go anywhere with just fresh oil.. never had a car with that low mileage tho then again
      -sesame street-

8. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Golf 2.0 GL
      05-07-2012 09:14 PM #8
      You will be fine, I have almost double the miles as you and I have taken my car from delaware to flordia to aslaska and all around the states. Just give it a tune up and drive.

Vehicles
      purple girl's car
      05-07-2012 10:18 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by xtrimex View Post
      You will be fine, I have almost double the miles as you and I have taken my car from delaware to flordia to aslaska and all around the states. Just give it a tune up and drive.
      Any pictures? Especially interested in hearing about the drive on the Alcan Highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan7100 View Post
      Air filter, spark plugs, maybe fresh oil change if it's been a while and maybe flush your radiator if it's never been done yet . All pretty easy and cheap to do yourself
      Yup. Check your belts and hoses too.

Sucks that you'll be driving through the most boring part of the country. Those 1300 miles are going to make you want to stab yourself in the leg with a fork just so you have something to do.

Are you going to do this in one day or two?

10. 05-07-2012 10:26 PM #10
      i live in newport news VA ever need any help with anything hit me up my email is jasonleee09@gmail.com

Vehicles
      97 LG5R Jetta GLS
      05-07-2012 10:41 PM #11
      Should be fine with what has been done and what has been suggested.

This one is up for debate amongst several people on here, but personally.. set the cruise at 3k. You'll get the best mileage there. Back when mine was running right, 3k with A/C running and going through the mountains of West Virginia, I was still getting 34mpg.
      We need a series like this state-side. I'm in if there is one, or will be one. VW Cup 2014/5, anyone?

Odometer: 157221mi | 246 full tanks | 77,150.0mi | 2,688.512gal | 28.69617mpg | US$0.10280/mi

Vehicles
      03' 1.8t Gti -DD-,97'vr6 Gti -sold- 95' 2.slo Jetta -Sold-
      05-08-2012 10:46 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Sky-Fi View Post
      Should be fine with what has been done and what has been suggested.

This one is up for debate amongst several people on here, but personally.. set the cruise at 3k. You'll get the best mileage there. Back when mine was running right, 3k with A/C running and going through the mountains of West Virginia, I was still getting 34mpg.
      very true..when i had my 2.0 i did the same through tennessee mountaints
      -sesame street-

Vehicles
      past Scirocco, Gli16V, Scirocco16v, Cabriolet, present 84GTi,96GTi
      05-08-2012 11:42 AM #13
      Has the timing belt and tensioner been done recently?

14. 05-08-2012 01:00 PM #14
      Alright so in addition to what I have already done now I am going to:

• Check belts and hose's
      • Replace plugs
      • Replace wires
      • Change air filter
      • look at replacing timing belt

I am running full synthetic oil and it only has 2000 miles on it, do you still think I should change?

I will for sure take you advice and run at 3,000 RPM the whole way

I am planning on doing it in two days, I am absolutely horrible at long distance driving. If you have any advice at keeping me away that would be much appreciated.

Again guys you are soooo much help, thanks a million!!!

15. 05-08-2012 01:33 PM #15
      03jettavr6: I will definitely be in contact with you! This is my first Mk3 and I have only had it for a month so I am still figuring out the logistics of it.

Vehicles
      97 LG5R Jetta GLS
      05-08-2012 06:06 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by treverd View Post
      I am planning on doing it in two days, I am absolutely horrible at long distance driving. If you have any advice at keeping me away that would be much appreciated.
      I had an 18-hour drive day one time two years ago. I was asked if I would be fine by myself for the return trip, and the response was "yeah, I'll be fine. Nicotine, caffeine and 600 watts of music will do just fine."

1300 miles is a bit of a drive though. Longest I've done in one run was 1100 and that took 17 hours. You'll definitely have to split it up. I would just suggest go as far as you feel comfortable with on the first day, then do what LG6R does on his epic roadtrips: fold the back seats down and make a bed with your feet in the trunk.

Just find a rest area and park in the back or far away from where all the facilities are. You'll only need 4-6 hours of sleep and when daylight comes back around, you should be pretty good for the rest of the distance.
      We need a series like this state-side. I'm in if there is one, or will be one. VW Cup 2014/5, anyone?

Odometer: 157221mi | 246 full tanks | 77,150.0mi | 2,688.512gal | 28.69617mpg | US$0.10280/mi

17. 05-09-2012 02:14 PM #17
      I didnt even think of making the back seats/trunk into a bed. Thats genius!!!!!, I was just going to use the front seat but the trunk is large enough to stuff a few bodys in, I will definietly be doing that!

I'm not a big caffine guy but I might have to on this trip. I was also thinking sunflower seeds, anything to keep the mind going.

Any other help would be awesome guys.

What is the optimal gas miliage tire pressure (psi) for 195/60R/14 ??? I dont mind a little rougher ride, just looking for that peak MPG!!

18. 05-09-2012 02:34 PM #18
      I didnt even think of making the back seats/trunk into a bed. Thats genius!!!!!, I was just going to use the front seat but the trunk is large enough to stuff a few bodys in, I will definietly be doing that!

I'm not a big caffine guy but I might have to on this trip. I was also thinking sunflower seeds, anything to keep the mind going.

Any other help would be awesome guys.

What is the optimal gas miliage tire pressure (psi) for 195/60R/14 ??? I dont mind a little rougher ride, just looking for that peak MPG!!
      I use the hatch fabric tray as a coffee table for coffee n biscuits

Do not over or under-inflate the tires. That is ALWAYS ALWAYS a retarded dangerous move. They can fail (explode) off the rim in no time, under or over. Always use the factory rating unless you are just really packed down with stuff. Then I wouldn't even go over 40. Keep it at 35psi front, 38 in the rear if your luggage is heavy, if not, 35.
      Last edited by emkaytree; 05-09-2012 at 02:36 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

Vehicles
      97 LG5R Jetta GLS
      05-09-2012 03:13 PM #19
      I always do 32-35psi all around. Usually closer to 35 since they bleed down over time. The kind of tire you got will make a difference in MPGs, too. The last set of tires I had were Bridgestone Potenza's and the sidewall on them was very stiff. Yeah it transferred more road noise and bumps, but the MPGs and handling were pretty good.

Using the trunk as a bed works great as long as you're basically shorter than 6'2. You may have to slide the front seat up just a little bit though. Pop the headrest off the back seat, lift the seat bottom at the front edge to pop it loose, fold it forward, lay the back down flat, grab a blanket or two for a mattress and you're good to go.

Well the whole set was just about down to slicks and had 1-3 plugs in the tread from nail punctures and it was time to get a new set, and I wanted to do Potenza's again, but they were a lot more pricey than the last time I bought them, so I had to settle for Fuzion HRI's. The sidewalls are super squishy on them, and I noticeably lost 2-3 MPG with them.

First full tank of nothing but Interstate ended up being 27mpg instead of 33. Those of you who are math-inclined will notice that 2-3 does not equal 6, but that is because I have an evap leak somewhere, I need new motor mounts, and I still haven't done my rear beam bushings. Evap leaks drop mileage. Motor mounts won't, but they will lead to other things breaking. Rear beam bushings can decrease mileage if the beam doesn't sit straight and ends up dragging sideways just a hair.

20. 05-09-2012 10:26 PM #20
      03jettavr6: I will definitely be in contact with you! This is my first Mk3 and I have only had it for a month so I am still figuring out the logistics of it.
      my first mk3 but so easy to work on. on to replacing my reverse gear next

Vehicles
      Cranbrio
      05-10-2012 07:59 AM #21
      what part of hampton roads?

if you are low, be very careful coming through the hampton roads bridge tunnel, i'd recommend going the monitor marrimack bridge tunnel instead.

good luck.
      Bübëngröpën | DubCult | Yuksquad | EFSIXTO | GENGSTOUT | Euromedian | PVW | YOUCANBEAT | The Chrome Depot | Ten Crack Commandments | YouJizz | Myspace | Bar Society lilliiililliilii | DreamWerks | Stancewerks | Meatspin |+Christian Dubbers+

22. 05-10-2012 11:32 AM #22
      My sidewalls are on the stiffer side, but from what you guys are advising I will go 35psi, luggage isn’t anything more than clothes and shoes. I’ll also be checking it on a periodical basis on the way up there just to make sure we don’t have any leakers.

I’m right under 6’0 so I’ll be good to go with the feet in the trunk.

The Internship is in Chesapeake, VA but I will be living in the Ghent area. Why do you say not to take the Hampton roads bridge tunnel? I am not familiar with the area at all so any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks again guys!

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition - 2001 F150 XLT
      05-10-2012 12:08 PM #23
      I'm sure a lot of this was already mentioned, but some things were not:

Change oil
      Tune up (if hasn't been done in a while) plugs, wires, rotor, dist cap
      Check all hoses and belts - replace if necessary
      *Check your brake pads, rotors, and wheel bearings (replace if necessary)
      *Get an alignment if needed - (if you're driving that distance you better be able to let go of the wheel without going off the road)
      *Make sure your tires are in good shape and at the recommended pressure
      *Make sure you have a roadside kit of some kind (check your spare tire, jack, etc-make sure you have jumper cables, an emergency belt, and hose with clamps)

Then get in car, start'er up, and say something like this:

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it"

And if you can tell me where that line comes from and who said it you'll get the respect from a few old timers
      EVERYTHING is negotiable...to a point SHOOT ME AN OFFER...the worst I can say is NO

-I wish there were more hours in a day.

Vehicles
      97 LG5R Jetta GLS
      05-10-2012 12:40 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatSpareTime? View Post
      "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it"

And if you can tell me where that line comes from and who said it you'll get the respect from a few old timers
      Without Googling.. I kind of want to say that could fit with Blues Brothers (1980).. but I'm not sure. Chicago, dark and wearing sunglasses just sounds like BB.

Vehicles
      Cranbrio
      05-10-2012 01:44 PM #25
      My sidewalls are on the stiffer side, but from what you guys are advising I will go 35psi, luggage isn’t anything more than clothes and shoes. I’ll also be checking it on a periodical basis on the way up there just to make sure we don’t have any leakers.

I’m right under 6’0 so I’ll be good to go with the feet in the trunk.

The Internship is in Chesapeake, VA but I will be living in the Ghent area. Why do you say not to take the Hampton roads bridge tunnel? I am not familiar with the area at all so any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks again guys!
      be careful in ghent. its a beautiful area, a very good area too, but the surrounding areas are kinda hood man. i live about 5 miles from ghent on the outskirts of downtown. the roads on the HRBT side are terrible, they have nasty pot holes, and expansion joints that stick up like speed bumps. the MMBT is very much smoother of a ride. not to mention you WILL hit traffic in the HRBT. doesn't matter what time it is, there is always traffic there. Ghent to Chesapeake is a bit of a hike as well, and you're more than likely going to hit nasty traffic getting there everyday. this area is beautiful, but traffic is horrendous
      Bübëngröpën | DubCult | Yuksquad | EFSIXTO | GENGSTOUT | Euromedian | PVW | YOUCANBEAT | The Chrome Depot | Ten Crack Commandments | YouJizz | Myspace | Bar Society lilliiililliilii | DreamWerks | Stancewerks | Meatspin |+Christian Dubbers+

26. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition - 2001 F150 XLT
      05-10-2012 01:45 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Sky-Fi View Post
      Without Googling.. I kind of want to say that could fit with Blues Brothers (1980).. but I'm not sure. Chicago, dark and wearing sunglasses just sounds like BB.

And you my friend...win a cookie
      EVERYTHING is negotiable...to a point SHOOT ME AN OFFER...the worst I can say is NO

-I wish there were more hours in a day.

Vehicles
      97 GTI VR6, 10 MK6 GTI/M6, 04 GTO/M6
      05-10-2012 02:59 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by sk8too View Post
      Seafoam

Boo ya tapatalk! If you haven't got it yet get it!
      x2 LOVE SEAFOAM!!!!
      "slow as molasis"