Lowered price to grease the wheels
I’m selling my 1972 standard Beetle due to an upcoming baby. This has been a 3+ year affair that started as a side project during grad school and turned into a full-on restoration. The car is “Cal-look” and as such sits several inches lower than stock. However, with the stock tires it rides quite comfortably.
The car needs some interior details to be complete (door cards, finishing of the dash cover, etc) but everything else has been addressed (see below). The body has been fully restored and smoothed but the paint needs to be cut and buffed, a few over sprays need to be fixed, and there are a handful of spots that need touch up paint.
The car runs strong, easily keeping up with traffic up to ~65 MPH. The transmission has a SCAT Drag Fast shifter which makes finding first a little difficult.
The front windshield has a large crack from a failed attempt at replacing the seal so both will need to be replaced for safety but can certainly be driven as is.
This is not currently setup as my daily driver, no upper cabin vents or windshield wipers, but everything is there to setup the heating system (I have verified that it does blow hot air at the foot vents) and the wiring for the wipers.
I have many pictures documenting the process, even the craigslist ad where I found it. I kept a hand written list of ~80% of the expenses but no official receipts so it is purely for reference.
I am asking $5000 for the car. Please be aware that I am not in a rush to sell it so please don’t think that I will take whatever offer is thrown at me but I will certainly entertain reasonable offers.
Now for the details:
• “Pan-off” restoration
• Complete floor boards (L and R) replaced
• All surface rust removed or cut out and replaced
• Entire top and bottom of chassis painted with Chassis Black
• Bottom of chassis rubber coated
• All cancerous rust cut out and replaced with new body panels or patch panels (many pictures documenting the work)
• All trim holes and antenna hole welded up (not fiberglassed/bondo’d)
• Exterior stripped to bare metal and all body work done, easily 100+ hours
• Primed, sealed, and painted with high quality single stage paint
• Frenched ’67 tail lights
• All new window seals
• New door window trim and seals
• Rebuilt short block with ~50 miles on it, I haven’t even changed the oil yet from the break-in process. Case was split and the bore was checked, all bearings replaced, seals replaced, new stock oil pump, crank end play set, and reassembled with quality sealant
• Heads cleaned and valves inspected; one small crack on one head between the valve seats was repaired
• New fuel pump, alternator, and carburetor
• 3” narrowed front beam with adjustors. Beam is shimmed to correct for proper caster
• All new bushings and shocks front and rear
• New L&R ball joints, top and bottom
• New front disc conversion
• Rebuilt rear drums; new shoes, springs, cylinder, etc.
• New wheel bearings front and rear
• New master cylinder
• New tires
• New complete main wire harness
• New battery
• New headliner
• New carpet
• New front and rear seat covers and seat foam
• New parcel cover shelf
• New steering wheel
• Cal-look dash cover fitted and ready for gauges
• New front seat belts
Plus many other bits and pieces…
The car is located in Greenville, South Carolina. If you’re interested, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call, 215.410.7211. Thanks!
Last edited by COBBS711; 08-28-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Updated title
Very tempting, always wanted a Quattro coupe....but I'm not currently entertaining trades. on the car, very clean!
P.S. I'm slowing putting finishing touches on it. All scratches haven been fixed with the same paint the rest of the car is sprayed with!
Last edited by COBBS711; 06-10-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Yes I have the title. I haven't taken it on any long trips but it should make it to ATL.Do you have a title? Would it make the drive to ATL?
Here are some more pictures of the build. I have quite a lot so these are just some of the more interesting ones:
id drive to you if youre interested...let me know...i drive my car everyday and the family ride in it all the time and no complaints...