Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Suspending 42 inch tv from ceiling?

05-07-2012 11:53 PM #1
      We are getting close to closing on a small home, in the city. In order to use the space efficiently, we will need to be creative. We want to have a tv that disappears when not in use. The plan is to take down the wall that would naturally be the place to mount a tv, to make the home open floor plan. My thought is to tap into a beam along the ceiling and have a the tv drop down when needed, then move back up when not in use. It would be a bonus to be able to control tilt, but not a necessity.

I have been googling around for ceiling tv mounts. They make many different kinds, but none seem to telescope. My thinking is that I may need to mount some pulleys up there. I have seen videos of motorized tvs popping out of hidden locations. Does any company sell a ready made solution, or do you need to cobble together something.

Even if the solution was just a manual crank with pulleys I would be open to any design ideas. Without actually measuring, I'm guessing the tv will need to raise/lower 6 feet. The other challenge is that the roof is at a 20 degree angle.

Would just making a sheet of metal that lined up with the mounting holes, an then attaching hooks to the sides be a strong enough solution?

05-07-2012 11:56 PM #2
      An extra bonus would be the ability to mount satellite speakers on the sides of the tv as well.

3. 05-11-2012 12:27 PM #3
      I'm sure you could rig something up.. they make some light 42" lcd's these days. I don't really know much about automatic mounts, but I suspect they are overly expensive. The only thing I'd say about using a piece of sheet metal behind the screen is to make sure you don't block any ventilation holes.. tv's get hot and need airflow. Might be better to start with a standard mount that you can scew to the TV, then rig up something to attach to that.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      05-11-2012 06:54 PM #4

+

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      05-16-2012 05:15 PM #5
      projector and a pull down screen.

/done.
      ITT: People who ask for advice and completely ignore it.
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Accord Sedan 6-6
      05-21-2012 03:49 PM #6
      Yeah, that prbebly the easiet way, even an auto-roll down projection screen would work well too.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      projector and a pull down screen.

/done.
      Current:
      1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6-Speed - 2011 JSW TDi 6spd
      Past:
      04 W8 6spd Wagon - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Sold @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base

05-21-2012 04:08 PM #7
      The entire wall facing the tv is windows. Otherwise I would gladly go 1080p projector. Found a few flip down mounts online. I need to get in there and do final measurements but I think it will work in between the joists. Not quite as trick as what I originally wanted, but it will be more practical from a cabling standpoint. Still contemplating a custom solution if time permits.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Accord Sedan 6-6
      05-21-2012 05:40 PM #8
      So the TV is on the opposite side of the windows? Nothing a couple of shades/blinds can't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      The entire wall facing the tv is windows. Otherwise I would gladly go 1080p projector. Found a few flip down mounts online. I need to get in there and do final measurements but I think it will work in between the joists. Not quite as trick as what I originally wanted, but it will be more practical from a cabling standpoint. Still contemplating a custom solution if time permits.
      Current:
      1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6-Speed - 2011 JSW TDi 6spd
      Past:
      04 W8 6spd Wagon - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Sold @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base