I'm new to this forum and a new VW owner, a 2000 Polo 1.4TDi. I bought this car yesterday to use for the next year while I'm in France. I had a real hard time finding what I wanted (5door TDi) anywhere near me in my price range, so when this one came up and had some issues but ran great - I bought it. The issues seem to be common among similar VWs, so I'm hoping the solutions are well known (although not necessarily inexpensive). The car has a fresh CT (this is the French bi-annual inspection, similar to the MOT in the UK) and a new clutch, brakes and timing belt, so I'm fairly comfortable with having bought it.
But heres my list of things that need to be fixed.
So, here's my list.
1) Drivers window. Half the cars I called on had this problem. Looks like it could be any of 3 things I read about on forums. I'll take the doors off and check today. Question: these 'regulators' that go bad - what do they do exactly?
2) Speedometer does not work. I want to check the plug and the speed sensor. Does anyone have a photo of where to find this? Or will it be obvious?
3) Airbag light is on. Seller included a new airbag unit with the car, but I'm reading that I may need a ring instead?
4) Indicators work just fine, but do not turn themselves off after I've made my turn. Any ideas? I know older cars used to have a mechanical 'cancel cam'. Are these cars the same? I'd think not.
5) I only have one door key and starter key. Are these keys chipped? If so, are they only available at the dealer? I have a habit of losing keys.
A couple other things:
Does anyone know where I can download a Haynes-style manual for a 2001 1.4TDi? I have found some in Russian, Czech, and Italian, but nothing in English.
Also, any recommendations on where to buy parts, considering they will need to be shipped to France?
I'd like to get an OBD2-to-USB plug. Will the $10 ones on ebay/amazon do the trick? If so (or if not) what software will I need to read the codes? Freeware would be preferred as I plan to own this car for just this one year.