Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1998 Passat 1.8T 5-spd

1. 05-08-2012 11:19 AM #1
      Good Morning!

I have a friend interested in a 98 Passat 1.8T 5-spd .

It has 142,000miles, look clean, decent tires.

I am wondering if this age/mileage might present any reliability concerns. I would really appreciate any input I could get. She wants to get into VW but I dont want her first experience to be a dud!

Thanks in advance!!

Vehicles
      B5 5MT UNITRONIC TUNED, B7 6MT STAGE 1.5 TDI
      05-08-2012 11:35 AM #2
      Maintenance is the #1 thing you want to look at. If it doesn't have any records I'd suggest staying away. These cars are unpredictable with repairs and aren't cheap. Do you have any info on that?

3. 05-08-2012 11:41 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by passatv6AF View Post
      Maintenance is the #1 thing you want to look at. If it doesn't have any records I'd suggest staying away. These cars are unpredictable with repairs and aren't cheap. Do you have any info on that?
      No, I dont have that info.

But "unpredictable" and "repairs and aren't cheap" are about enough to stay away.

She's not working full-time yet, so I would hate to see her dump what savings she has into the car.

4. 05-08-2012 01:07 PM #4
      So, is it basically a rule to assume high cost to maintain this vehicle (All VW's)?

Vehicles
      B5 5MT UNITRONIC TUNED, B7 6MT STAGE 1.5 TDI
      05-08-2012 02:04 PM #5
      not at all times but most parts aren't cheap. If she doesn't have a full time job just stay away from it, but that's just my personal opinion. In half a year I've put $2-3k in maintenance. Nowadays if you don't have your own mechanic that will give you discounts on the labor then you asking to get ripped off.