Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Internal Wastegate Block off?

Vehicles
      '02 .:Retta Big Snail, '95 M3(Sold), '03 jetta 1.8t (sold), 2002 Golf 2.0 (sold)
      05-08-2012 10:36 AM #1
      Okay so I'm running a gt2871r that is externally wastegated with a tial 38mm. The hot side has an internal wastegate that was welded shut, the weld broke and I lost all boost pressure. I rewelded it but after about 5 good pulls the welds broke again, I also made a bracket to hold the fitting where the original wastegate actuator connected. Although it is still shut it isn't enough to hold the internal gate fully shut, So my question is does anybody know of a better way to block off the internal wastegate?
      Gonzo Tuning represent.
      My newest on going disaster

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '13 Accord v6, '13 CBR500r, '14 Accord 4dr
      05-08-2012 11:45 AM #2
      ? how exactly was it welded?

Your explanation is difficult to understand (if you have pictures I can't see them at work), because in my experience a welded internal gate is welding from the discharge portion of the exhaust housing, around the flapper valve to the actual housing. Its hard to believe that those welds could break, especially if it were weldied all the way around.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = Part out PM me for anything

Vehicles
      '02 .:Retta Big Snail, '95 M3(Sold), '03 jetta 1.8t (sold), 2002 Golf 2.0 (sold)
      05-08-2012 01:40 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      ? how exactly was it welded?

Your explanation is difficult to understand (if you have pictures I can't see them at work), because in my experience a welded internal gate is welding from the discharge portion of the exhaust housing, around the flapper valve to the actual housing. Its hard to believe that those welds could break, especially if it were weldied all the way around.
      You're description was right, at first it was only tacked, that was the original weld from rai motorsport that broke, I welded around the flapper partially last night and it broke after a couple pulls.
      Gonzo Tuning represent.

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '13 Accord v6, '13 CBR500r, '14 Accord 4dr
      05-09-2012 08:26 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.slowerr View Post
      You're description was right, at first it was only tacked, that was the original weld from rai motorsport that broke, I welded around the flapper partially last night and it broke after a couple pulls.
      Well now you know how to fix it
      Just sucks you didn't do it the first time so you don't have to completely take it back off again and redo it.
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = Part out PM me for anything

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 01:34 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      Well now you know how to fix it
      Just sucks you didn't do it the first time so you don't have to completely take it back off again and redo it.
      I just made a bracket to where the old actuator connected to. Works perfect.
      Gonzo Tuning represent.