Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: when you buy a part from someone not local how do you pay?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 16v Rocco
      05-08-2012 11:25 AM #1
      1. paypal
      2. send cash/check
      3. COD if they still do that
      4. give them your cc number
      5. other

I ask because i constantly see people list items for sale and include shipping in the cost.

and when i say paypal the price goes up. now its not much and I don't mind paying i rarely haggle on prices its usually only 2 dollars more but still.
      now local pick up is understood its local only but when people say shipped should i not assume paypal is how they will get paid?
      what next charge for boxes too.

please educate me if my thinking is wrong.

2. 05-08-2012 11:34 AM #2
      Never, ever, ever, give out your credit card info over the internet, I don't care how well you think you know the person. If you have to pay some extra to use paypal so be it, but at least you'll have the peace of mind that your information is secure and should anything go south in the deal you can always file a claim.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 16v Rocco
      05-08-2012 11:52 AM #3
      i won't give it out i'm just saying if you say price shipped how else would you get money to them

I can only assume paypal

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 16v Rocco
      05-08-2012 12:03 PM #4
      i guess lately its been urking me. fee's!!!! i just booked a hotel and the hotel is 79 a night plus tax and oh by the way when you check out there is a resort fee of x amount a day. which to me is wrong if its 79 a night plus 20 dollar fee a night its 99 not 79

when i just bought my truck there was a paperwork fee of 500.00

ok one more they want you to pay x amount for shipping and when you get it the package from the post office says how much and it was like 15 less then you paid.
      Last edited by euroteknique; 05-08-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      05-08-2012 12:08 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by euroteknique View Post
      i guess lately its been urking me. fee's!!!! i just booked a hotel and the hotel is 79 a night plus tax and oh by the way when you check out there is a resort fee of x amount a day. which to me is wrong if its 79 a night plus 20 dollar fee a night its 99 not 79

when i just bought my truck there was a paperwork fee of 500.00
      Well, fees are annoying, and don't get me going on the ones I've dished out for this airplane I have yet to fly, but that is my choosing.

As for out of town, try out of country and it gets real interesting. I often mail a bank draft, but then you either have to pony up some extra scratch for fast secure shipping of the bank draft, or you and the seller have to wait for normal postal delivery. PayPal is fine too, but at one point my PayPal wasn't working properly either. Almost as easy to drive out and get whatever it is! good luck with it.

6. 05-08-2012 12:13 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by euroteknique View Post
      i won't give it out i'm just saying if you say price shipped how else would you get money to them

I can only assume paypal
      Yep, paypal is the way to go. If they're not accepting of that send a money order (from CVS, Walmart, Post Office, etc) or if you absolutely have to send cash, fold some heavy paper around it so you can't see the bills through the letter.

I'm no expert on collecting through paypal but I believe those receiving money have to pay a certain percentage as a transaction fee, so that's probably where the extra dough is coming from.

05-08-2012 05:21 PM #7
      To avoid the PayPal fees, send it as a "gift" instead of goods. You can still file a dispute through PayPal if the transaction goes south, but it is at least a way of avoiding the fees.
      78 Scirocco CE '12 Golf R '12 Stasis S4 '05 Honda S2000

Vehicles
      2 '88 Sciroccos and an '08 MkV GTI
      05-08-2012 06:08 PM #8
      Paypal is charging the seller around 2% for their transactions.

Vehicles
      '78 CE Antje, '81 S 16v Rommel, 3x other Mk1 Sciroccos. No Kias here...
      05-08-2012 07:06 PM #9
      Never give out CC info to someone you don't know... that's just... um, "a bad idea".

For big purchases (say $200+ or so) I like pers checks, easy to do with people I know; not bad with people I don't know. I just tell 'em to ship when it clears. No problems so far.

PP is OK, and if the seller jacks the price because of it... well... it's convenient and protects both parties. I don't worry about a buck or two, but more than that I'll negotiate something else; or walk away. I don't like paranoid sellers, makes me wonder why they're so concerned; ya know?

Since you started this thread in Scir forum... I've done many deals with people here; and I've never once, not even close... ever been burned by any Scirocco people. I can't even say I have any gripes.

"By Endurance We Conquer" - Family motto of Sir Ernest Shackleton

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v
      05-09-2012 12:34 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      Since you started this thread in Scir forum... I've done many deals with people here; and I've never once, not even close... ever been burned by any Scirocco people. I can't even say I have any gripes.
      Ditto. I parted out a car on here, mostly took paypal, some cash when the post office was not involved. I have no problems sending paypal when I need parts for myself.
      Shipping is a tricky thing. Some sellers (like me) estimate shipping and give you a price before the item gets shipped, so there may be discrepancy in the actual cost seen on the package. Plus, the sender has to pay for packaging materials and stuff. I remember once I sold some AC hoses for $40 shipped, and it ended up costing me $38 to ship them!
      Ben
      '88 Scirocco 16v
      (][__][_]===W===[_][__][)

Vehicles
      88 VW Scirocco 16v, 94 VW Jetta
      05-09-2012 09:54 PM #11
      Same here .... I typically pay via paypal. This way even is I need to use a credit card its thru paypal and my info is protected. Now that being said I sell things on ebay as well to get money into my paypal and every now and them a user will ask me if i will accept a money order. I let them know that I only accept postal money orders.
      “All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician