Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FS: 1990 Ginster CQ, 185k, OH

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      05-08-2012 12:36 PM #1
      Decided to start a new FS thread instead of trying to add-on to the old one. Plus, I took new pictures as of 5-6-12.

I bought a new daily driver, so the CQ is coming off the road and on the market. I really made a mistake of buying this car. I love it so much, put a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and $$$ in to it, which really took away from my other projects. But it's such a sweet car, capable of filling a lot of slots when it comes to what a car can be used for. So selling it is very hard for me at this point, but I also have 5 cars right now and only one very small garage. If I earned more money and had the space, I would keep it for sure.

This is an early 90 CQ, so it has the rear swaybar, cast control arms, and bag-o-snakes. Previous owner installed a Stebro exhaust, and the cat is gutted. It also has the cold weather package. Let's not forget how rare the Ginster color is on a CQ. I am unsure of the build count, but I would bet that there are fewer than 50 Ginster CQ's in North America.

Milage is probably around 185k. I say "probably" because I had swapped clusters to attempt to fix the tach problem, and when it didn't work I used both clusters to make one nice looking cluster which had the incorrect odometer reading. I had changed the odometer but it went back a little too far, so now it is registering 178k when in reality it is probably more like 185k. Not that it really matters too much.

The "build thread" of a lot of work that I have performed is here: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=34762

But to sum it up, here is a list off of the top of my head:

Replaced trans with Audi 90 "long box" 01A, Redline fluid
      Southbend Stage 1 clutch, with 034 forged flywheel bolts, all new hardware.
      Refinished flywheel
      New throw out bearing
      New Clutch slave cylinder
      034 "Street density" engine and trans mounts
      034 01A short shifter
      Full timing belt with all new hardware
      New waterpump, new thermostat, full coolant flush with HEPU G12 and Redline Water Wetter additive
      New rear main seal set
      Intake manifold gasket
      Valve cover gasket
      Various vac lines replaced
      re-o-ringed the AC system
      Gutted cat w/ 2.5" Stebro IIRC
      034 Injector upgrade kit with resistor delete
      New outside temp sensor
      New Drivers side door seal
      New blower motor for HVAC
      Repaired a 4 foot section of the pressure side of the hard fuel line under the car with flare fittings and used good expensive line
      New washer pump
      Lubed/conditioned both front window regulators
      Replaced the electro/pneumatic heater valve
      Replaced both corner marker sockets with new ones that werent broken.
      New headlight/turnsignal/cruise control stalk (new OEM, like $100 from International Parts)
      Replaced the drivers side fog light, the wiring still needs fixed though. The passenger side works though.
      Re-sealed taillights, cleaned and repaired the taillight wiring. Sanded/tinted/polished taillights. Painted license plate tub.
      Installed new restrictor in breather pipe, swapped ISV.
      Paint has been given a full clean and polish, looks as good as it is going to get.

I am sure there is more that I am forgetting. Extras that will also come with the car:

B4 hood that still needs final finishing and paint. I have a nice B4 grille too.

I also have all three upper core supports for the B4 hood, the center being a brand new piece, and a new latch catch assembly. I also went the extra mile and looked up all of the front end hardware that the B4 cars use on ETKA, and bought all new stuff, so all of the screws, bolts, clips, etc.. are brand new in bags. It's like $100 in just hardware.

A brand new set of Depo B4 Euro headlights with city bulbs, and I also grabbed the unobtanium B4 headlight connectors with pigtails. I also have the two trim pieces that go under the B4 headlights, and the hardware to attach them is new as well.

I had a set of clear corners, but one fell out so it is currently running one clear corner and one amber. It fell out because the B3 headlights are shot basically. The clear corners are cheap though.

-Basically the whole B4 hood swap is ready to install, I may have it finished and painted satin black and installed in a few weeks.

I have an 01E 6-speed transmission from a S4 2.7TT "in a box" that I picked up for cheap. It's in pieces, and I did not inventory everything to see what is there and what isn't. I have a spare 7A flywheel to use with it too. I will not sell separately unless the buyer of the car does not want it.

I have a spare 7A intake manifold, the idea was to cut it up and re-weld it to make a forward-facing drivers side manifold for turbo swapping.

I have the original license plate tub, I used it to test the VHT paint before I really did it on the tails. It's in OK shape. The one on the car is much nicer.

The drivers side kick-panel under the dash is off the car but I do have it. I forgot to order the hardware to re-attach it when I got all of the other hardware. I also have the belly pan under the car but no hardware to re-attach as well. If I remember I will try to order these parts and get them both installed.

A spare "parts" cluster.

The Fondmetal 17" wheels and 8mm spacers made by Adaptec will come with the car along with the longer taper wheel bolts. The tires are Hankook Ventus 225/45/17, I still have to pick up the tires from vwhammer and mount them. I had the FondMetal wheels straightened this summer so they are ready to go. The OEM Speedlines have been re-finished and are sporting General Altimac snow tires in a 195/65/15 that have PLENTY of life left, probably three more more winters at least- they will come with the car along with the stock wheel bolts for them as well.

A set of Powerflex control arm bushings which may or may not get installed before sale.

Set of OEM Boge rear shocks, new in box. Car is sporting the OEM ones I think, they are a little soft but still ride great.

Set of rear suspension bushings, OEM quality.

Spare working ECU, spare ISV that probably works, and a handful of other misc. parts.

And last but not least, the car will come with the Bentley manual that includes the electronic troubleshooting manual. That's like a 2 million dollar value right there.

I also have a journal of the previous-previous owner, that documents everything he did to it. I have added to it as well, but not quite as thoroughly. I also have an invoice of over $4000 worth of work that was done to the car by a previous owner.

And the current issues:

Crack in the windshield, I can put you in touch with someone local to Columbus that has a NOS windshield for the CQ that I was going to snatch up when It came time to re-spray the car.

The heated seat relay needs replaced, it makes funny "sproing" noises when you use the heated seats- eventually the seat heaters stop working if they have been on for a while. If you leave them off for 15 minutes or so, then turn them on, they work for a little while and stop again.

The AC still doesn't work, but I got to the bottom of the issue after running through the whole Bentley section on testing the climatronic and replacing the outside temp sensor. The AC compressor will run if you jumper the low pressure switch- I was unsuccessful in charging the system with refrigerant- I don't have the proper tools for it. The rest of the Climatronic works perfectly.

Tach doesn't work. I have swapped ECU's, clusters, etc.. and it will simply not work. Must be something simple but I am out of ideas.

The passenger side window regulator stopped working. It happened one other time and I fixed it, but it broke again. The cables are too loose and they come off of the wheel. I will attempt to tighten the cable and see if it will fix it.

There is some strangeness going on with the front end of the car, which I have determined to be a combination of worn subframe bushings, control arm bushings, and possibly a wheel bearing. I will detail more about this at the bottom of the page....

The paint is in rough shape. Looks pretty good from pictures, but at one point the car was re-sprayed an incorrect color to the original Ginster. I have rubbed a lot of it down and it looks about 90% better than it did, but it WILL need a re-spray to look cherry. The drivers side front fender took some damage from a long while back and it has been somewhat repaired, there is also a bump on the drivers side rear fender too, but it would be an easy fix.

The battery is old. It was the one in the car when I bought it. It's always started fine, but I can't think it will last a whole lot longer.

Other than that, everything works! Car runs great, and is very reliable- I used it to drive 100 miles every day on my commute, and I average 27 MPG per tank, usually see 29-34 MPG on the highway during steady cruise. I took it on two road trips since I have had it, once to New Jersey and once to Baltimore, it was flawless both trips. I do oil changes at 5k intervals with Mobil 1 15-50 in the summer, 10-30 in the winter. Still have to do it through the dipstick though, I never did get that oil pan bolt free. The idle on the car is rock solid now after fixing the ISV and the breather restrictor.

On to the pics- like I said, these were taken on 5-6-2012, after a thorough wash and wax. A few weeks earlier I did a complete buff/polish/wax of the car which woke it up a lot. I also included one pic of the summer wheel setup from last year. I will update the thread with interior pics once I finish detailing it.

The two bad spots:

Summer wheel setup from last year, will have proper size tires this year (and I will update the pics when I get them)

Only engine bay shot I have right now:

Update: Interior photos now up. Only real interior issue is the hole in the lower drivers bolster, and the door card "leather" needs re-glued. I just conditioned the leather this weekend and it looks NICE!

So here is the low-down on the price.

NEW PRICE: $3500 FIRM, with all extras!!!

If I get the B4 swap done, it will be very hard for me to not raise the price some.

I am very motivated to sell now that I have a daily driver. I am not interested in any vehicle trades, the only thing I would consider is a partial trade for VW MKIV parts, (wheels, suspension, etc...)

I am located in Mt. Vernon, OH, about an hour north-east of Columbus. I will help arrange for shipping at buyers expense if so desired.

The car is no longer being driven daily, just occasionally around town so the miles will remain about the same.

Please help me get rid of the car. I really hate to see it go, but it has to be done. Plus I would really like to see the car become what I wanted it to become while I had it.

Brendan
      Last edited by Lord_Verminaard; 06-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, tiptragic to manual swap.
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      05-15-2012 01:04 PM #2
      Bump, interior photos added.

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      2x 2010 Jetta (1 TDI and 1 Wolfsburg DSG 2.0t TSI)
      06-04-2012 12:58 AM #3
      Free bump, wish you were in Texas!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      OEF 10/11 -- Been there, Done that and all I got was my Audi
      Quote Originally Posted by DubGray1.8T View Post
      With a post like this I can't help but think you might be slightly retarded. Maybe you should get that evaluated?

Vehicles
      06-04-2012 11:11 AM #4
      Simple, fly up here, drive it back to Texas, problem solved and you have an epic road trip story.

Thanks for the bump.

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 11:27 AM #5
      Wheels/Tires and rear wiper delete are installed. No pics now cos the battery is dead. I am going to put a charge on it and see if it holds, if not then I will replace the battery as well.

NEW PRICE: $3500 FIRM, with all extras, come and get it!

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      2x 2010 Jetta (1 TDI and 1 Wolfsburg DSG 2.0t TSI)
      06-27-2012 12:44 PM #6
      Im tellin ya, if my A6 sells soooon for the right price, Ill take leave and go pick it up or have my bro come get it. He lives in cinci so wouldnt be too bad.

Would you be willing to finish the B4 swap before it is sold? I would have to pick the car up and drive to Texas so taking the hood with me is almost unrealistic for me.
      Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      Last edited by AWDb5Dub; 06-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.
      OEF 10/11 -- Been there, Done that and all I got was my Audi
      Quote Originally Posted by DubGray1.8T View Post
      With a post like this I can't help but think you might be slightly retarded. Maybe you should get that evaluated?

Vehicles
      06-28-2012 02:12 PM #7
      I could probably work that out. As long as I would have a confirmation on your intent to purchase.

The hood wouldn't be painted body color, just satin black....

Good luck with the sale of your A6 too.

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      07-09-2012 10:44 AM #8
      It's got a new battery now.

Made an appearance at the Mid Ohio track day last weekend, even though I didn't do any driving on the track. Had a for sale sign on it but no takers....

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 2.0L 16V, 02 337 GTI
      03-20-2013 12:02 AM #9
      Brendan is this still for sale?
      R135
      ╚╬╬╣
      . 246
      G-Rocco Approved
      88 Scirocco 2.0L 16V 2002 337 GTI

Vehicles
      03-20-2013 12:38 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 16VScirrocco88 View Post
      Brendan is this still for sale?
      Nope, it's sold. New owner drove it back to New Hampshire and had already re-painted it.

How about a Corrado project?

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400