Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Visited a friend's father's 100-car collection

Vehicles
      95 cabrio 08 jetta 08 yukon xl 13 explorer xlt
      05-09-2012 09:38 AM #36
      thats a nice collection the most ive seen is 44 cars my buddy jeff's dad has

Vehicles
      1990 300ZX TT, 2002 Jetta TDI
      05-09-2012 09:57 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      If you like this, you should stop by the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum at the Western Reserve
      Historical Society here in Cleveland sometime ... they have an equally impressive classic car
      collection.
      I've driven past that often in my 5 years here, but only recently have I heard anything about it.

I finally decide I want to go, and discover its closed for most of this year. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by deftonesfan867 View Post
      Ohio makes me wanna punch babies.

05-09-2012 09:59 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post

The line of Fords along the wall is a group of '36s. The Ford sitting against the wall to the right of the 1936 lineup is a 1934. The red Ford on the right side of the picture is a 1935 model.

Let's play a game. Quick! Pick one car for your own. You have 30 seconds to walk through and choose one for your very own; to take home and be your chariot. Your decision is final.

Which one?
      I believe I spot a red 1953 Skylark. I'll take that. Or the blue Packard woody wagon.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      05-09-2012 10:04 AM #39
      Absolutely stunning...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Euro Ford junk collection
      05-09-2012 10:07 AM #40
      Let's play a game. Quick! Pick one car for your own. You have 30 seconds to walk through and choose one for your very own; to take home and be your chariot. Your decision is final.

Which one?
      57 Chrysler 300 convertible, please.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-09-2012 10:20 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by megaDan View Post
      I've driven past that often in my 5 years here, but only recently have I heard anything about it.

I finally decide I want to go, and discover its closed for most of this year. Damn.
      Yeah, I totally forgot until after I posted that comment that they were renovating this year ... sorry about that.

05-09-2012 10:46 AM #42
      Very cool collection of classic cars. I dig the woodies and the '49 Mercury.

What is the white car with the beige colored roof and gilded hood louvers?

I'm not one to tell another man how to enjoy his toys. But the overcrowding would bother me to no end, having to shuffle multiple cars in order to use them and worry about door dings, etc. Such crowding virtually ensures that many cars don't get used often enough to keep them in top running condition.

Vehicles
      '86 Porsche 928S, '11 F-150 EB, '01 Audi S4
      05-09-2012 10:50 AM #43

Which one?
      Too easy, the DeLorean in the far corner of the first pic. Add a Flux Capacitor and then go back in time and buy 2 of the rest for a song compared to today's prices. Sell one and keep the other and walk away with enough cash to pay for the garage and upkeep.

05-09-2012 10:50 AM #44
      They have a full-time mechanic. About 30 a year are taken to Concours. I drove one of his cars to Eyes on Design. No, they all don't move annually, but a large number do.

I can't believe that people have to defend a car collector on a car enthusiasts site. There wouldn't even be a hobby without collectors. These would have all been recycled into appliances if nobody cared enough to preserve them.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

05-09-2012 10:57 AM #45
      The car with the gold hood vents is a Studebaker.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      05-09-2012 11:19 AM #46

that is what i will be doing when i hit MEGA MILLIONS....... you only live once so might as well spend it all

12. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      05-09-2012 11:28 AM #47
      Damn that is a seriously cool collection. This guy has some really classic pieces of automotive history. I wish we could see more pics.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

13. Semi-n00b
      05-09-2012 11:30 AM #48
      Nice collection. Thanks for sharing!

14. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-09-2012 11:37 AM #49

Which one?
      I'm all about that black Ford hardtop with the whitewall tires. It's the second one from the left along that back wall and sitting right next to the blue I-beam. That thing is just way too cool.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

15. 05-09-2012 11:47 AM #50
      Boner! That is a nifty car collection. To those who are calling the owner a hoarder, not a chance. The difference between a hoarder and collector is that a collector keeps things tidy and knows where everything is, and doesn't allow his collection to destroy his home.

Oh, and trim your nails, Barry!
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      04 R32 06 S4 Avant
      05-09-2012 11:51 AM #51
      Beautiful collection. That woody in the middle of one of the pictures is stunning. thanks for sharing.

17. 05-09-2012 12:05 PM #52
      Seems like a great collection even though there really isn't a single car that interests me. Kinda outta my wheelhouse/scope of interest but I do respect it

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      05-09-2012 12:07 PM #53
      Talk about hoarding. You should see the cars jammed inside my BRAIN!
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

05-09-2012 12:09 PM #54
      Talk about hoarding. You should see the cars jammed inside my BRAIN!
      Me, too! I'm a freaking car lunatic!

Vehicles
      1988 Scirocco 16v, 1992 S4
      05-09-2012 12:17 PM #55
      I much prefer to see collections like this than some of the other uber-rich who go to every exotic dealership and buy one of everything. I'm sick of seeing Veyrons, Ford GTs, Ferraris, etc, etc. Those people just burn money on status symbols. It seems this gentleman put some thought into his collection and bought what he likes.
      Kudos.
      I agree with others, however, in that I hope they get a turn to be driven and enjoyed. Does he let people tour the collection? Seems a little cramped for a good walk-through.
      Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers.
      www.madisonautocross.com
      www.scirocco.org

21. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-09-2012 12:19 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by saron81 View Post
      Damn, you guys can ruin anything.
      Maybe he just likes mid 30's Fords?
      I don't know how you could dislike these cars. They are freaking awesome in either original or modified form. I mean who would pass up the chance to own a '32 Deuce Coupe? 1930s Fords are awesome cars and I totally understand this guy wanting to own multiples. These cars kickstarted an entire generation of hot rodding and the 1930s Ford following still isn't slowing down even to this day. I certainly would own a mid 30s Ford if given the chance: stock or modified they are both gorgeous pieces of machinery.

obin

05-09-2012 12:21 PM #57
      I believe the Fords celebrate the owner's birth year.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      MK3 | Q1 TT | SV Race Bike
      05-09-2012 12:27 PM #58
      Nice!

24. 05-09-2012 12:35 PM #59
      Would love to go see a collection like this. If i could chose only one i belive it would be a Packard v12 or Cadillac v16.
      89 W201 2.5-16v - 80 Corrolla KE70 wagon - 77 Caprice Coupe.

05-09-2012 12:37 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Maybe because people with mental illnesses can't drive? Because people seem to assume that about this man as well.
      I assure you, he if far from mentally ill. Collecting cars is like collecting fish. The size of the collection, and the fish, will expand to the allowable space.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

26. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-09-2012 12:38 PM #61

I'll go first. I choose the Packard Clipper sedan in the bottom right of the photo, next to the V16 Cadillac. Clippers are the most-ut, and I could drive it like a "normal car", which would mean a lot to me.
      I think I'd take the V16 Cadillac, but I wouldn't know how to maintain it. Of course, learning how and doing so would be hours and hours of fun for a guy like me.

Also, to those who say they can't be driven: Please note the number of doors on the left of this photo and the arraignment of the cars. Pull out 4 cars in line with the door and voila! You could then pull any of the cars out from either side. Nearly the entire garage is laid-out that way. With a full-time mechanic employed there I don't think it's too much of a problem.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1979 K20 1978 Rabbit 74 Trailduster with a Western Plow
      05-09-2012 12:46 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      I assure you, he if far from mentally ill. Collecting cars is like collecting fish. The size of the collection, and the fish, will expand to the allowable space.

This is what i was thinking when going through this thread.

Who's to say it was his original intent to own this many cars and have a packed warehouse?

It wouldn't be my dream to own 100 cars, but give me 50 years of buying time and plenty of money and
      I could see it happening.

Vehicles
      97 GTi VR6
      05-09-2012 12:47 PM #63
      awesome
      Jim- Owner of rustisnotacrime.com Like us on FB!
      Admin on Rival House. Like us on FB!
      SE Auto

29. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-09-2012 12:51 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      This is what i was thinking when going through this thread.

Who's to say it was his original intent to own this many cars and have a packed warehouse?

It wouldn't be my dream to own 100 cars, but give me 50 years of buying time and plenty of money and
      I could see it happening.
      Yep. If I were to buy a nice collector car right now there's no way I could keep my Beetle. I only have space for one and money is too tight. If I had the money and space (If I had the money I'd make the space!) you're damn right I'd keep them both. This would also happen repeatedly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

30. 05-09-2012 12:55 PM #65
      does he rent these out to movie studios?
      --
      2007 – FF, 5 cyl, 20V NA Silver – The Tractor
      1986 – MR, 4 cyl, 20V ITB Red – The Weed Whacker

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      05-09-2012 12:56 PM #66
      The bottom line for me is that this gentleman is, as are we all, merely custodians of our belongings. They are not really "ours'. We can preserve and protect the ones that deserve it for the oncoming generations, who will with any luck do the same for posterity. Things, like cars, are kind of like that old saying about beer. We don't own the beer we drink; we only borrow it.

As a custodian, I'd say this guy is doing a fine job.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      2008 Jetta 2.5, 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 5 speed (250k miles and being rebuilt), 2008 Ninja 650R
      05-09-2012 12:58 PM #67
      What was this guy's career(s)?

Awesome warehouse. My dream, honestly.
      IBEW Local 24

33. 05-09-2012 12:58 PM #68
      It looks like Mr. Miagi's car collection x10.

I don't see anybody younger than 50 years old building a collection like this.

Still interesting to look upon, but just a room full of meh for me.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      air and water
      05-09-2012 01:06 PM #69
      Thanks for sharing Barry. It must have been exciting for you to walk through and check them all out.

05-09-2012 01:08 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      does he rent these out to movie studios?
      I think he has. The funny part is he really didn't show them or share them until his son started running the collection. That's the guy that deserves kudos.

BTW, there's plenty of space between cars to walk. I guess to some here the only difference between a hoard and a museum is how far apart the cars are.

The collection is housed in an addition to their business' building that was purpose-built. I believe there are 4 16-foot wide overhead doors. Access is no problem. My hoard is just as tight. Maybe I should give some away to create more space between them.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast