Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: My State May Have just Passed A Very Restrictive Addition

1. 05-09-2012 12:41 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Notch__Johnson View Post
      Thats why I just vote NO on anything pro-elderly.
      So you vote anti-old and they vote anti-liberal and here we are. The politicians win by pitting all the sheep against each other.

Vehicles
      2003 1.8 Tango
      05-09-2012 12:43 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      I would like to hear any logical reasoning behind supporting this bill not covered by some magical tarp of religion.
      Apparently, the anti-NC1 people spent millions of dollars running ads 24-7 about how evil it was that people who would have voted their conscience ended up voting against the people who were calling them dumb crackers.
      -= DelDubs =-

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 12:48 AM #78
      http://www.change.org/petitions/1-mi...e_button_modal
      Am I the only one that thinks an online petition is enormously stupid and pointless?
      OTC

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg
      05-09-2012 12:54 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      This should not be a state issue. Period. Something needs to be done on a federal level to stop this marginalization of gays. It's damned disgraceful.
      That would be a challenge since the White House doesn't even have an official stance on gay marriage other than the fact that President Obama's opinion on it is "evolving."
      Go Gators!

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      05-09-2012 12:54 AM #80

This is now how I picture 61% of North Carolinians.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      05-09-2012 12:58 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Anti-sodomoy laws are already unconstitutional so they would fail.
      Coming to a supreme court near you: Lawrence v. Texas overturned in a 5-4.
      I'm not joking. Lawrence was a 6-3 decision, but O'connor joined. She has been replace with Alito who would likely vote to overturn.
      Kennedy will likely be retiring soon (He and Scalia have been on the bench the longest). If the Republicans take the White House this year, expect a Scalia or Thomas in his place.
      Suddenly we have a 5-4 against legal BJs. Also a lot of other stuff -- watch how you vote for president.
      -----

Also Chris, what about your children? I gather you have children and if you do, I imagine that you would do just about anything to make sure they get a fair shot in life. What if one of them is gay? (If you think this is a bad thing, you should probably get your head checked). Do you want your child denied the rights you have because of biology?
      Last edited by nm+; 05-09-2012 at 01:02 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      2000 Maxima GLE/1987 300TD
      05-09-2012 01:00 AM #82
      yall seem to forget there are 30 states that have similar bans..north carolina isn't the only state with bigots. we're just the most recent to claim it

from what i understand, now that it's part of the constitution the only way to have it repealed is by another public vote. which i could see happening before long

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 01:01 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      Coming to a supreme court near you: Lawrence v. Texas overturned in a 5-4.
      I'm not joking. Lawrence was a 6-3 decision, but O'connor joined. She has been replace with Alito who would likely vote to overturn.
      Kennedy will likely be retiring soon (He and Scalia have been on the bench the longest). If the Republicans take the White House this year, expect a Scalia or Thomas in his place.
      Suddenly we have a 5-4 against legal BJs. Also a lot of other stuff -- watch how you vote for president/
      There isn't a straight man in the world that is going to outlaw BJ's, not even a religious one
      OTC

Vehicles
      2011 Kia Optima
      05-09-2012 01:02 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      So you vote anti-old and they vote anti-liberal and here we are. The politicians win by pitting all the sheep against each other.
      I just try to at least cancel their vote out. I'm not liberal, I go to both sides on certain subjects. Conservative on drugs, crime, and liberal on human rights such as gay marriage. I never have voted down party lines always was too unrealistic for me

But I do agree on the sheep analogy, we're all being distracted of the big picture while fighting over the crumbs
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      Plus, if it gets cold, you can close the door and start the car up. It'll heat the place up in no time to help you sleep.
      Team 7-Up Keepin It Fresh! [llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll] - Clever Response Loading.... Please wait.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 01:02 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      There isn't a straight man in the world that is going to outlaw BJ's, not even a religious one
      ****, well someone passed all those laws. Also Rick Santorum.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      05-09-2012 01:04 AM #86
      Not familiar with sodomy laws are you? Or the opinions of people like Rick Santorum or Tony Perkins?

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 01:15 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by GTiTOM View Post
      Not familiar with sodomy laws are you? Or the opinions of people like Rick Santorum or Tony Perkins?
      It's all a ploy to get votes. Say one thing - do another. The people who'd vote for Santorum would like to think they'd outlaw BJ's but in reality they themselves would never outlaw it given the opportunity.
      OTC

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 01:20 AM #88
      It's all a ploy to get votes. Say one thing - do another. The people who'd vote for Santorum would like to think they'd outlaw BJ's but in reality they themselves would never outlaw it given the opportunity.
      They did last time. Also, most of these laws are still on the books. They don't need to be passed. Lawrence just needs to be overturned, and the religious bigots will try to do that.
      Remember many of the law still on the books ban heterosexual sodomy, so the minute Lawerence goes down, your blow job is illegal in several states.
      Of course it won't be enforced unless you're gay. . . . or black with a white woman or receiving from the sheriff's daughter.
      And if you don't think the religious right wants to overturn Lawrence so they can ban gay sex, you're not paying attention.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      05-09-2012 01:21 AM #89
      You realize how little sense that makes right?

So people support the law, and the politicians say they'll support it, but they really don't support it because they are straight? So who are the 'people' who'd vote for them that are in support of these laws if they're not also straight men?

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 01:24 AM #90
      You realize how little sense that makes right?

So people support the law, and the politicians say they'll support it, but they really don't support it because they are straight? So who are the 'people' who'd vote for them that are in support of these laws if they're not also straight men?
      Yes, exactly - no one.
      OTC

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      05-09-2012 01:44 AM #91
      Yes, exactly - no one.
      So the politicians pretend to support it in order to covet votes of people who don't exist?

Yet these laws are on the books in several states, and are only illegal because, as nm+ pointed out, of a 6-3 Supreme Court ruling that could easily swing the other way depending on judicial appointments in the next few years?

You realize it was only in 2006 that Missouri repealed it's law against "homosexual conduct"? And that Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma still haven't repealed their sodomy laws?

Ya, you're right, no one in this country wants to legislate the morality of bedroom behavior

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 01:52 AM #92
      So the politicians pretend to support it in order to covet votes of people who don't exist?

Yet these laws are on the books in several states, and are only illegal because, as nm+ pointed out, of a 6-3 Supreme Court ruling that could easily swing the other way depending on judicial appointments in the next few years?

You realize it was only in 2006 that Missouri repealed it's law against "homosexual conduct"? And that Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma still haven't repealed their sodomy laws?

Ya, you're right, no one in this country wants to legislate the morality of bedroom behavior
      All sodomy laws have been repealed. Texas Kansas and Oklahoma still have homosexual conduct laws. Like I said before straight men aren't going to make it illegal.
      OTC

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      05-09-2012 01:57 AM #93
      Like I said before straight men aren't going to make it illegal.
      So who made it illegal in the first place? And who is pushing to have those laws back on the books?

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      05-09-2012 08:14 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by 22AudiQ View Post
      Hey, myself and a lot of Christians are tolerant of others. Please don't lump us all together.
      the only group i'm lumping together are bigots. I have no problem with Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Atheists, Satanists, etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

20. 05-09-2012 08:21 AM #95
      All sodomy laws have been repealed. Texas Kansas and Oklahoma still have homosexual conduct laws. Like I said before straight men aren't going to make it illegal.

Do you not understand that this has already happened?
      So straight men HAVE made it illegal....
      What are you getting at??

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      05-09-2012 08:30 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      Lets not flip out here. What I'm said was fairly nuance-less and quickly typed. Let me clarify.

Pretty damn much. The bill is motivated by religion, plain and simple. The reason it exists and is passing is because of religious motivations.
      Perhaps in some bizzaro non-religious world this exists as well. We can only speculate, it doesn't matter, we're here not there.

So, yes, I will say with certainty that 1.2 million people in NC are bigots of some strength, or at least led around by them.
      Sure, a handful of those "yes" voters in NC are probably not religious - that simply makes them worse.

In order, yes, no, yes.
      The first doesn't need more words. The middle we'll get to next. On the last: Yeah, I'm going to deride those that don't agree with my position on this. They want a group of people relegated to being second class citizens. It's abhorrent, regardless of motivation.

No. Audi said "Me and a lot of other Christians" and that is certainly true. But "a lot" is very vague. Does it mean a lot on a pure numbers basis? 10 million could think Audi's way, that's a lot. But held against 100milion that think differently, it's a small number.
      My point is that 1.2 million is "a lot" of people as well. It's 63% of the voters in NC.
      Prop 8 in California passed with 52% of the vote.
      It's not about stereotyping Christians, or me treating them differently. If I judged people based on Christianity alone I'd exist in a lonely world lacking "a lot" of good people. It's about not belonging to something that's full of people which go against what you think is right. You can quit Christianity.

If I'm part of a completely optional group...say a book club called "Obrha's Book Club". There's 20 people in the club and 15 of them go around stealing candy from children pronouncing "This is the belief of Obrha's Book Club: Children should have no candy for it makes them read unwholesome things!" Seeing as it would be very hard to change the Club's dogma, lacking the necessary numbers to rewrite the bylaws I might quit the club and read on my own.
      Um, I'm not flipping out, I'm simply calling you out on your double-standard.

And please get your facts straight. 1.2M is not 63% of the voters in NC. It may be 63% of the people that voted on this bill, but it's not 63% of the voters. The NC state board of elections site lists just under 6.3M registered voters in NC. They also list the party breakdown as ~2.74M Democrats vs. ~1.98M Republicans w/ ~1.57M unaffiliated. So, your 1.2M people that voted in favor of this bill represent
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Hey, don't forget the anarchist car chicks. We are angry and have whips!

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      05-09-2012 08:33 AM #97
      welp - one more state to avoid. too bad they had good bbq.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

23. 05-09-2012 08:34 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      I like your club example. I think I'll expand on it. Let's say you're gay. And let's say that there's a group of gays out there that advocate sexual interaction between older and younger males. Let's call them NAMBLA. Now some of the things that NAMBLA members are involved in are quite possibly illegal, and cast gays in a negative light. If you don't like what NAMBLA stands for or does, you could try and change the organization, or I guess you could quit being gay. You know, because you may want to consider how your labelmates reflect on you.

Or maybe another one. You're black, and there are a couple of black clubs. Let's call them the Bloods and the Crips. You don't approve of what these clubs do. Maybe you should quit being black because of how your labelmates reflect on you.

See what I did there?

Don't expect anyone to give your argument any credibility when you are just as ignorant and uninformed, and employ the same tactics, as the group you deride.
      Wait, are you comparing being religious with being gay or black?? Really??

24. Member
      05-09-2012 08:38 AM #99
      Well here they turned it into a political battle. Most of Colorado and lawmakers approve of this, the Republicans decided they weren't going to let the Dems look good by passing this. So they just let it die.

http://kdvr.com/2012/05/08/house-gop...7-other-bills/

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      05-09-2012 08:42 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Notch__Johnson View Post

But I do agree on the sheep analogy, we're all being distracted of the big picture while fighting over the crumbs
      Somebody gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      They did last time. Also, most of these laws are still on the books. They don't need to be passed. Lawrence just needs to be overturned, and the religious bigots will try to do that.
      Remember many of the law still on the books ban heterosexual sodomy, so the minute Lawerence goes down, your blow job is illegal in several states.
      Of course it won't be enforced unless you're gay. . . . or black with a white woman or receiving from the sheriff's daughter.
      And if you don't think the religious right wants to overturn Lawrence so they can ban gay sex, you're not paying attention.
      NC has ~3/4M more registered Democrats than Republicans. Why was A1 able to pass?
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Hey, don't forget the anarchist car chicks. We are angry and have whips!

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast