Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help with engine mounts !

1. 05-08-2012 10:52 PM #1
      Hey guys, I just swapped out all engine/transmission mounts for 034's race mounts and a Apikol Snub mount, and now, my car's a mess (but fun to drive) since my steering wheel/plastics want to come off by vibrations coming from engine at idle. Did I do something wrong? I mean, almost got an headache just city driving. The vibration is REALLY annoying. Yet the driving feels a lot improved, I might have made a mistake in the process.

Second, I tried to remove the sway bar but one of the nuts is jammed on the bolt. Let me explain:The nut unscrewed well until the lasts mm, and then, the bolt came loose, but you know, the bolt that seems to be BUILT IN the alum. bracket that supports the engine mount. Question: can I change this bolt or is it really built in the bracket? I searched on ETKA but it just shows the nut and I can't find the bolt that I need.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      05-09-2012 12:21 AM #2
      I just installed the 034 track density transmission mounts. Vibrations were crazy at first but they've softened up a bit since (several weeks). The body now has much more engine vibration than stock, but not as bad as when they first went in. Plus, I've gotten somewhat used to it too. Give them some time and see how they are after they break-in for a while.

If you decide to take out the 034 engine mounts, let me know. I'm keeping an eye out for a set of used ones at a reasonable price.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality

3. 05-09-2012 09:33 AM #3
      Thanks! Ill have to be patient then.

4. 05-10-2012 10:07 PM #4
      No one else can share their experience with those ?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      05-11-2012 08:33 AM #5
      There's not much else to say. Every report I've read says they settle in a bit, but still vibrate MUCH more than the OEM mounts. Basically, you have three choices for engine mounts: "Performance" mounts that vibrate (on a car already noted for vibration at idle), cheap aftermarket mounts that often last only a few months, and OEM. I bought OEM.

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      05-11-2012 10:19 AM #6
      Another thing to consider is how smoothly your engine is running. If it's running rough at all, the stiffer Track Density mounts are going to conduct that vibration directly to the body. The softer OEM mounts are designed to isolate that vibration from conducting to the body of the car.

So you've got two things to examine.
      1. How smooth/rough is the engine running. (source of vibrations)
      2. How soft/hard the mounts are. (connecting points between the engine and body)

Check plugs/scan for codes/inspect vacuum lines looking for anything that will cause a rougher idle.
      Give it a few weeks of driving to see how much the new mounts soften up.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality

Vehicles
      03 1.8t
      05-11-2012 10:45 AM #7
      i swapped mine out for the audi S4 mounts! more stiff then the vw! basically what i found out is that the oem mounts are fluid dampened! mine were leaking out the fluid so i just replaced with "upgrded" ones! dont know how upgraded they really are! the "racing" mounts are hard rubber so there is nothing to soak up vibrations from engine to subframe! i did mine last year and i still have exterior vibrations!
      Last edited by honda2vw03; 05-11-2012 at 10:50 AM.
      FMIC, Forge Hybrid splitter BOV, Motegi 17x7's in Pirelli p6, Eibach pro kit w/ sway bar, Kinetic slotted & drilled rotors, custom short throw, Glow Shift boost gauge w/ NSP steering column pod!