Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tips for seeking a job out of state!

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      05-08-2012 10:02 PM #1
      Well the ship is sinking. Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had advice for job searching way across state lines.. Like from a job in MA searching for jobs in FL distance.

Any unique ways I should modify a cover letter or resume to reflect the fact I'm across the country?
      How to let HR reviewers still know I'm interested and not just spewing random lines out seeing what bites?
      Etc..

Would love to hear stories about folks who went across country changing employers!

And of course if anyone knows of any insurance related customer service jobs open around the Tampa - Orlando area I would love to hear

Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 05-08-2012 at 10:06 PM.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

2. 05-08-2012 11:08 PM #2
      I don't envy you, but now is the time to change.

I have no specific advice. When I did it, I packed up and moved, and then found a job when I got there. If that isn't possible, what I would do is try to find someone who can let you "move in" on your resume....that is, use a local address on your resume and/or cv. I would also explain on your cover letter that you recently relocated, to explain your out of state work history, and that you are looking in the new area.

Finally, from what I gathered when I was in Tampa earlier this year, and my friend who is from there, there probably isn't a lot of jobs down that way right now. I would recommend reaching out to a temp or contracting company and taking their temperature to see what jobs are in demand. That also worked for me when I relocated to the Los Angeles area from Chicago (and then back to Chicago from LA).
      Matt Train
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2013 Volkswagen Golf R, Rising Blue/Titan Black

Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 TQMS, 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      05-08-2012 11:13 PM #3
      When I lived in Minneapolis, I applied for a job in Colorado (for which I was qualified) via Monster.com. Obviously I was willing to relocate or I wouldn't have applied for it. I don't think you need to specify anything in particular. I had a phone interview first. Then they flew me out for a face-to-face interview and paid for my moving expenses when I was hired.
      Last edited by bmann; 05-08-2012 at 11:49 PM.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg
      05-08-2012 11:39 PM #4
      I'm actually doing the opposite; looking for a job in NYC from South Florida. I already got a phone interview and I'm waiting on another call to see if I made it to the next round. I'm going to send another e-mail to the HR guy who interviewed me in the morning for a followup since it's been about two weeks since we last spoke.

Good luck
      Go Gators!

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      05-08-2012 11:40 PM #5
      Good thread. Hopefully it produces some sage advice.

05-09-2012 12:06 AM #6
      I am also in a similar position... I currently work in NYC and I was just in San Diego this past week for vacation and now I want to move there. Started looking at jobs a little while I was there and even more once I got back home.

One method I use in NYC and other places is if you see a office building with lots of tenants see if you can take a picture of the listing then go home and research and apply. Also since I was walking/driving around San Diego I was just taking notes in my phone of all the companies I saw that I would be interested in working for or just checking out to see if they were hiring.
      XBL: vdub337

7. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      05-09-2012 12:53 AM #7
      be sure to state you are open to relocation and are looking forward to moving. hopefully they provide relocation assistance if you do indeed get an out-of-state job. if not, still let them know you are ready and willing to move.
      welcome to the layer cake

8. 05-09-2012 03:55 AM #8
      I went through a recruiter.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-09-2012 05:01 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      be sure to state you are open to relocation and are looking forward to moving. hopefully they provide relocation assistance if you do indeed get an out-of-state job. if not, still let them know you are ready and willing to move.
      Yeah, pretty much this. I am a bit exceptional, since my very first job was transatlantic (one out of four or so I applied to), and I have since moved inland to coast-to-coast and up the coast. Don't try to limit yourself regionally, too much (on the flip side, Florida is probably 25 or so states down my list, so what do I know...). There must be some intersect of regions that are currently hiring in your field with where you could imagine to live (at least for several years).

Good luck.

(As to the cover letter, make sure to add a couple of things that uniquely apply to the company and location and that attract you. But nothing too cheesy or too stereotypical.)

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      05-09-2012 09:13 AM #10
      Thanks keep it coming

I know people already in the Orlando area so the temp address idea sounds like it is worth using.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

11. Senior Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, and a '13 tdi
      05-09-2012 11:29 AM #11
      do jobs in your field not typically fly folks in for interviews?

seems weird to have to lie about your address on a resume...

12. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      05-09-2012 11:40 AM #12
      I hate to be a Debbie Downer but seeking a job out of state usually comes down to who you know, not what you know. Odds are for every applicant out of state there's at least a dozen or more in state who have applied and it's significantly easier for the company to hire someone local than it is hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Unless you know someone who works in the offices there or your resume is unbelievable then you'd be hard pressed to beat out 'locals' and get the job. The only thing I can recommend is be vigilant with calls to HR, offer to fly yourself down for a final interview, request phone interviews, send unbelievable references. If this job is something you truly want then be as flexible as possible with any/all of their requests with regards to interviews/visits and additional information.

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      05-09-2012 12:29 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      do jobs in your field not typically fly folks in for interviews?

seems weird to have to lie about your address on a resume...
      Nope.

This isn't a technical field or job with a small pool of people to draw from which works against me in some ways. There will very likely be plenty of people to draw from locally without having to fly in an interview.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

14. Senior Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-09-2012 12:37 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Nope.

This isn't a technical field or job with a small pool of people to draw from which works against me in some ways. There will very likely be plenty of people to draw from locally without having to fly in an interview.
      ah ok, wasnt sure.

in that case maybe there are more potential job openings if you just had some money saved up and moved down there, or couch surfed for a month or two?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      05-09-2012 01:29 PM #15
      Any unique ways I should modify a cover letter or resume to reflect the fact I'm across the country?
      How to let HR reviewers still know I'm interested and not just spewing random lines out seeing what bites?
      Pick a state and move there or pick a state and get your phone number changed. Have a plausible reason for being in that state and have a plan for when that will happen.

You will most likely not get any bites until you are in another state. With unemployment so high,
      there really is no reason to pursue out of state candidates and all the hassles associated with them (relocation times, interview coordination, travel costs, etc.).

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      05-09-2012 03:13 PM #16
      I got a cold, scared feeling while reading this thread. At first I couldn't figure it out but then it hit me...the thought of being back in the United States again and getting their 5-10 days of vacation. It's been three years and I never realized until now exactly how much of a burden on a human being's life that is.

I feel for you guys....

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      05-09-2012 03:31 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Lsos2 View Post
      I got a cold, scared feeling while reading this thread. At first I couldn't figure it out but then it hit me...the thought of being back in the United States again and getting their 5-10 days of vacation. It's been three years and I never realized until now exactly how much of a burden on a human being's life that is.

I feel for you guys....
      And this has to do with the topic because.....

Unless you are part time or work at Burger Kind who gets 5-10 days of vacation in the US.

I feel sorry for you and your fuel prices and taxes.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

18. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      05-09-2012 04:04 PM #18

Unless you are part time or work at Burger Kind who gets 5-10 days of vacation in the US.

As an American living over seas I think I can explain better than his strange post attempted to

In the US getting vacation days is a benefit, in Europe and more specifically the UK... it's law. Where I am it's mandated a job gives every full time worker 28 days paid leave per year (or 5.6 weeks with normal time off). Part time workers (3-4 days working a week) receive 22 days paid leave. When you retire you get paid for every single vacation day not used (some companies state-side put limits on this). FYI: these paid leave days do not include national holidays (this is entirely up to your work contract, but 99% of the time it does not include holiday days off).

The vacation 'benefit' for us is negotiating how many +holiday days we get. Meaning, over our 28 paid vacation days we already get. In my case, I get my mandatory 28 days paid leave plus 1 a month. So essentially I get 40 vacation days a year

That's what he was trying to say, though completely irreverent to this thread.

19. Senior Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-09-2012 04:10 PM #19

i work at a large corporation and am looking forward to getting another 5 days of additional vacation after having been here for ~6 years.

many places youre lucky to get 2 weeks off... i didnt even think fast food offered vaca benefits?

Vehicles
      Bagged MKV (FS)
      05-09-2012 04:11 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Ramath0rn View Post
      I am also in a similar position... I currently work in NYC and I was just in San Diego this past week for vacation and now I want to move there. Started looking at jobs a little while I was there and even more once I got back home.

One method I use in NYC and other places is if you see a office building with lots of tenants see if you can take a picture of the listing then go home and research and apply. Also since I was walking/driving around San Diego I was just taking notes in my phone of all the companies I saw that I would be interested in working for or just checking out to see if they were hiring.
      Exactly what I did! Except I got the hell out of CA and moved to the Northeast
      Past: 1999.5 GTI, 2009 Jetta, 2004 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      05-09-2012 04:18 PM #21
      Another person here looking to move across country. Best thing you can do is to work any references and resources you might have. It also helps to have a date set and refer to that when putting out your resume and cover letter. One of the angles I'm trying to work is to make it apparent that I'm not looking for relocation benefits, mitigating the employer's risk and putting it onto me. Can't say that it's worked yet but I've worked with some of my resources and they're saying this is a good thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      05-09-2012 05:10 PM #22

I guess it's relevant because it's precisely this thread that gave me this feeling which I haven't felt since I moved away. I can see how my post may seem off-topic or strange though. That said, yeah the price of fuel or just anything in general is much higher over here. But that's money. Time off...that's your life. You can't put a price on that. In fact, I recently lived in Poland where the prices were equally high AND my salary was half what it is now. I still couldn't imagine looking for "a job out of state".

To get closer to the topic at hand though, when I lived in the US I just sent out resumes all over the country, as did my brothers and father. I don't recall me or them ever having to explain themselves as to why they're moving. It was understood that they're willing to relocate for a job...it's pretty standard procedure, no?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      05-09-2012 05:26 PM #23
      another thing you may mention, is you are open to travel for an interview, or other options such as video (skype) interviews or phone interviews. don't sound to desperate, but show you are flexible.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      05-09-2012 05:26 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Lsos2 View Post
      I guess it's relevant because it's precisely this thread that gave me this feeling which I haven't felt since I moved away. I can see how my post may seem off-topic or strange though. That said, yeah the price of fuel or just anything in general is much higher over here. But that's money. Time off...that's your life. You can't put a price on that. In fact, I recently lived in Poland where the prices were equally high AND my salary was half what it is now. I still couldn't imagine looking for "a job out of state".

To get closer to the topic at hand though, when I lived in the US I just sent out resumes all over the country, as did my brothers and father. I don't recall me or them ever having to explain themselves as to why they're moving. It was understood that they're willing to relocate for a job...it's pretty standard procedure, no?
      Again not relvant unless you can zap me the ability to speak another language and handle all the hoops needed to more to Europe even assuming I wanted to go somewhere I likely would not even be able to afford a car.

I get 11 paid holidays at present and 136 hours of vacation time in additon to a 4 day work week so I very well may get more time off than you poor hard toiling Europeans
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 05-09-2012 at 05:31 PM.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

Vehicles
      MTA
      05-09-2012 11:22 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by InternetMeme View Post
      As an American living over seas I think I can explain better than his strange post attempted to

In the US getting vacation days is a benefit, in Europe and more specifically the UK... it's law. Where I am it's mandated a job gives every full time worker 28 days paid leave per year (or 5.6 weeks with normal time off). Part time workers (3-4 days working a week) receive 22 days paid leave. When you retire you get paid for every single vacation day not used (some companies state-side put limits on this). FYI: these paid leave days do not include national holidays (this is entirely up to your work contract, but 99% of the time it does not include holiday days off).

The vacation 'benefit' for us is negotiating how many +holiday days we get. Meaning, over our 28 paid vacation days we already get. In my case, I get my mandatory 28 days paid leave plus 1 a month. So essentially I get 40 vacation days a year

That's what he was trying to say, though completely irreverent to this thread.
      And this is another reason I want to move to England.

That's an insane amount of vacation-- and I can't believe that ANY company would choose to have offices there.

OP, I've tried to do the same. I had an interview in NYC a few months ago and nothing came of it. Why? They said they were concerned that I lived out of state. Don't let it discourage you, but I think the ideas of suggesting a Skype or phone interview may help.

Also... Florida? I've looked down there, too. I have family in Fort Myers-- and there was NOTHING there. Orland and Tampa may be better and I hope it is, for your sake.

Idea: What if all of us who want to relocate just match up to people who want to live where we live and vice versa? We can just show up to each other's jobs and go on with life.

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      05-10-2012 12:04 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 22AudiQ View Post
      Idea: What if all of us who want to relocate just match up to people who want to live where we live and vice versa? We can just show up to each other's jobs and go on with life.

That would require people like to me lie and pretend my job isn't aboard the Titanic.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

Vehicles
      MTA
      05-10-2012 12:11 AM #27
      That would require people like to me lie and pretend my job isn't aboard the Titanic.
      Trade with Miyagi or one of the other lovely individuals in OT.

28. 06-01-2012 08:40 AM #28
      Wait, you're trying to move to Florida?

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      06-01-2012 08:56 AM #29
      I just went through this last year. I already knew people in the city I was moving to so I just used their address. When asked, I'd say I already go down there so much to visit (gf, family, etc.) and that I already have a place of residence secured.

You just have to be very flexible and be willing to travel there on short notice.

FWIW, I still have my old cell number and will probably never get rid of it. However, one of the first questions I got was why my phone number had a different area code. It was the perfect segway into explaining my 'living situation'.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal. Ferrari.
      06-01-2012 09:08 AM #30
      That is key.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'13 | 0311 | 0331| 0933 | '14- Soldier of Fortune
      Wagon Aficionado | Brodozer Brocionado | BMW Motorrad
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Wagon GTG SoWo '14

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      06-01-2012 09:15 AM #31
      I would even go as far as tell them that you're already moving there by X date so relocation is a non-issue.

They won't provide relocation if it's a job where they can pull candidates locally.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

32. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 MiniBrodozer, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VRBB, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      06-01-2012 09:15 AM #32
      I don't have a ton of advice to offer you other than I went through what you are going through in 2004 when I moved from Maryland to Arizona. I was able to use my now-inlaws address for my postings on Monster and other local job sites and that helped to open doors quite a bit.

Granted when the interviewing process started I told them that I was in the process of moving and that my start time was flexible but when the right job opportunity arose I had one week to accept and move across country and believe me that was very, very stressful.

My suggestion would be to look first at where the potential employers are that you want to interview with and then map that against their activity centers. As an example USAA has a huge and ever-expanding call center here in Phoenix as well as in San Antonio so if you were interested in those two areas they are both cost-effective to live in and have opportunities there. I am sure that State Farm, GEICO, MetLife, etc have similar situations and from there it would be pretty simple to reverse-engineer things.

Having spent a decent amount of time in Florida I might suggest that you travel down there now to check things out; the summers are murder and while I see things slowly picking up a bit lately all over I still don't see Florida as anything other than a place where old people from New Jersey go to die. I realize the irony of writing that from my house in Phoenix which is the same doorstep to death but for people from Minnesota.. but at least we don't have humidity here.

Good luck either way. Making a major move like that can be pretty great if you have the courage to do so.