Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Calling the financial lounge!

Vehicles
      06 Stage 2 GTI, 82 Stage 3 G60 Rabbit, 85 F-250
      05-08-2012 11:16 PM #1
      I'm getting married in a couple of months and I need to get a car for my fiancee mainly just for her to go back and forth to work, run errands, and take the kids wherever they need to go. It will get the occasional 100 mile round trip to see her family and 4-5 times a year would probably go on a trip of several hundred miles. Here are the (general) options I am considering and I'm not sure what is best.

Let her have the Subaru SVX I've been DDing: It's a slightly fragile car, with expensive hard to find parts and it needs some trans work, probably a starter soon, and has a small oil leak. I don't mind driving the car as it is, but I would definitely want to fix some things before I sent her off in it with the kids. Plus it only gets 22mpg on a good day and I would be back to DDing my GTI, which I am trying to set aside to make into the fun/race car

Buy a cheap beater for now: In the $1-2000 range I'm looking at older, higher mileage, crappier car and probably a somewhat unknown history. I don't want to put her in a beater but with the wedding coming up this is a more financially responsible decision. With this I would probably be wary of the several hundred mile round trip and would probably take the GTI

Buy or Lease a cheap new car: Buy a stripper base model car like a no options Accent, Versa or similar. It will be new, reliable, get the best gas mileage and not be an embarrassment to drive, but it will be the most costly and I'll be stuck in a payment. I've never leased, but if there is a good case for a lease I'd consider it.

What does TCL say? So far I've just been keeping my eyes open for whatever I see if any of the above options make sense. I've seen some pretty good lease deals lately and I keep my eye on the local classifieds in case a deal comes up.
      Team Reaper of the BABE 2012 road rally proudly supports Susan G. Komen for the cure in memory of my Mother, who lost her fight with breast cancer in 2003
      Please go to our team donation page to make a donation to help end breast cancer forever!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      05-08-2012 11:48 PM #2
      Nothing says love like getting your newly-minted wife a beater, amirite?

Okay, hi, now it's adult time: There's two of you and presumably you're both working, and safety (you, your wife, the kids) is super important, right? -- small lease payments should be NBD.

Get a Cruze.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-08-2012 11:52 PM #3
      Give me the SVX, in return I will give you a 2007 Trek Fuel EX7. It has less than 1000 almost completely off road miles and has been meticulously maintained. Very economical, the wife will be so proud.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      05-08-2012 11:56 PM #4
      Give your wife the GTI and then find a real car to turn into a track vehicle

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-09-2012 12:02 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFX View Post
      Buy a cheap beater for now: In the $1-2000 range I'm looking at older, higher mileage, crappier car and probably a somewhat unknown history. I don't want to put her in a beater but with the wedding coming up this is a more financially responsible decision. With this I would probably be wary of the several hundred mile round trip and would probably take the GTI
      Can she drive 5 speed manual?

If so- ZX2, 626... there are some decent cheap used cars out there.

If she needs an auto and is a typical "all about the exterior style" woman... Cavalier.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3002574995.html
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      05-09-2012 12:04 AM #6
      Honda $0 due at signing leases are back.

Civic is $220, Accord is $250, CR-V is $320, Crosstour is $330, Odyssey and Pilot are $340. All are LXs except the Crosstour is an EX-V6.

http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers.aspx
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '14 Smart
      05-09-2012 12:26 AM #7
      Put her in a Toyota Echo, most reliable car in the world.

Vehicles
      06 Stage 2 GTI, 82 Stage 3 G60 Rabbit, 85 F-250
      05-09-2012 12:35 AM #8
      The beater option would be temporary until she gets moved in settled and finds a job and we recover financially from the wedding/honeymoon/moving expenses. We can buy something nice later.

Manual trans is no problem

I know not everyone will understand the GTI for a track toy but the car is special to me and i want to take it as far as I can. I figured everyone would think I am
      Team Reaper of the BABE 2012 road rally proudly supports Susan G. Komen for the cure in memory of my Mother, who lost her fight with breast cancer in 2003
      Please go to our team donation page to make a donation to help end breast cancer forever!

Vehicles
      FX50S, Sienna AWD ltd.
      05-09-2012 12:43 AM #9
      Its an opportunity to fix the SVX...

Or get her a small new car.

Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      05-09-2012 12:46 AM #10
      I'm getting married in a couple of months and I need to get a car for my fiancee mainly just for her to go back and forth to work, run errands,.
      well there's your problem for starters, GAME OVER for you,,,, dont do it ..
      j/k
      but its hard to advise w/out knowing budget or some form of financial situation for the car

11. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      05-09-2012 12:49 AM #11
      Get her a good new/ slightly used cpo car.

I was in the same situation when I got married. My wife's beater car she had in college literally gave up the ghost the week before we got married. As soon as we got back from our honeymoon, the #1 priority was getting her a car. We got her a 3yo CPO jetta, which was a great decision. It was little more than we wanted to pay, but it was dead reliable, way nicer than her beater car, much safer and it got great mileage. I'm convinced that we came out ahead, than if we would have tried to keep her car on the road.

12. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-09-2012 01:16 AM #12
      I vote 98-01' (GC) Subaru Impreza RS Coupe or Sedan. They can be gotten for about $3-5k nowadays in great condition.

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      05-09-2012 11:25 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      If she needs an auto and is a typical "all about the exterior style" woman... Cavalier.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3002574995.html

nothing says "im a fan of exterior styling" like a cavalier

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      05-09-2012 12:20 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post

Thank you, I like to think of myself as a connaisseur.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      05-09-2012 12:25 PM #15
      The best financial advice I can give would be to ditch the wedding, go to the court, throw a kegger party/reception in the back yard, and buy something safe and reliable for your wife.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 CW Golf TDI, 2013 Evil Undead
      05-09-2012 01:05 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      The best financial advice I can give would be to ditch the wedding, go to the court, throw a kegger party/reception in the back yard, and buy something safe and reliable for your wife.
      I support this plan ^^^

But I wouldn't take wedding advice from a guy who doesn't even have a girlfriend.
      Lately I have been testing "tip-in events". Just the tip-in. Just to see how it feels. Response time is typically on the order of 2-3 seconds. Sometimes the injection timing is a little off...

17. 05-09-2012 01:13 PM #17
      Yep, fancy weddings are LAME and not even cool anymore.

Just find out who's parent's or friends has the most kick ass back yard or go get married on a beach or in a park.

Wedding=money wasted.

If she is your partner and you are all in, she will understand this and be happy with a $200 off the rack dress and small wedding.

If she demands a larger wedding, dump her and consider yourself lucky you found out early the hell you would live in while she financially ran you into the ground with guilt purchases.

Plan B skip the wedding all together and shack up. I've been shacked up for 12 years and watched friend marry and divorce and we are happy as can be because that extra pressure from marriage is unnecessary.

Thanks for letting me vent, this is like therapy.

Vehicles
      93 corrado vr6, 95 golf race car, 05 trailblazer, 06 BMW 325ixT
      05-09-2012 01:19 PM #18
      Beater. You'd be surprised what can be had by keeping your ear to the ground and acting fast. Didn't plan on looking till the fall but i stumbled upon a $500 '99 passat. Passed safety with no issues. I have no doubts that it will serve its purpose for a couple of winters with ease.

Sure, not entertaining whatsoever but its a nice safe car.

I'd recommend that route as a temp solution. Plus at ~$500,you'll break almost even at the end if you sell a few bits and then scrap the rest. Only cost is insurance and fuel..... And hopefully no maintenance!!!!

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      05-09-2012 02:04 PM #19
      I would be back to DDing my GTI, which I am trying to set aside to make into the fun/race car
      I hate to break it to you but if getting a car for your wife to drive around in is so hard you shouldn't be keeping a 3rd, "fun/track" car...

Vehicles
      2013 FR-S, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta
      05-09-2012 05:16 PM #20
      I'm getting married in a couple of months and I need to get a car for my fiancee mainly just for her to go back and forth to work, run errands, and take the kids wherever they need to go. It will get the occasional 100 mile round trip to see her family and 4-5 times a year would probably go on a trip of several hundred miles. Here are the (general) options I am considering and I'm not sure what is best.

Let her have the Subaru SVX I've been DDing: It's a slightly fragile car, with expensive hard to find parts and it needs some trans work, probably a starter soon, and has a small oil leak. I don't mind driving the car as it is, but I would definitely want to fix some things before I sent her off in it with the kids. Plus it only gets 22mpg on a good day and I would be back to DDing my GTI, which I am trying to set aside to make into the fun/race car

Buy or Lease a cheap new car: Buy a stripper base model car like a no options Accent, Versa or similar. It will be new, reliable, get the best gas mileage and not be an embarrassment to drive, but it will be the most costly and I'll be stuck in a payment. I've never leased, but if there is a good case for a lease I'd consider it.

What does TCL say? So far I've just been keeping my eyes open for whatever I see if any of the above options make sense. I've seen some pretty good lease deals lately and I keep my eye on the local classifieds in case a deal comes up.
      You need to man up and put her in a safe car, especially with kids. You have a crap 10+ year old car with sketchy reliability, are balking at the cost of a monthly payment, so that you can afford to play rich-man with a 3rd weekend-only race car!?

If you can afford a track/race car you shouldn't even BLINK to buy her a nice safe family car that she can pick out. Ie, a Rav4, a Caravan, a Focus, Cruz, whatever. You need to be financially stable enough that if you crash that GTI on the track, you are not impacting the family with the burden.

Or let her drive the GTI if it's a mk6, assuming you aren't gutting the thing and putting in a cage...

Vehicles
      1996 VW GTI, 2005 Forester XT
      05-09-2012 06:09 PM #21
      Don't let her drive the SVX daily, its a "future classic" that needs to be kept ding/mail box free. If anything, sell the VW, keep the SVX for a fun car and put the wife in something modern and safe.
      Shutup and drive yo cah'!

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      05-09-2012 09:14 PM #22
      The beater option would be temporary until she gets moved in settled and finds a job and we recover financially from the wedding/honeymoon/moving expenses. We can buy something nice later.

Manual trans is no problem

I know not everyone will understand the GTI for a track toy but the car is special to me and i want to take it as far as I can. I figured everyone would think I am
      Give her the GTI temporarily then.

I did the performance GTI thing (autox)

Those are 285 r-comps up front. It was great, for a GTi.
      If you lend it to her, you can always take it back when you can afford another car for her. You drive the SVX in the meantime, and your set.

I miss my GTI, but I never miss it when I'm autocrossing.

23. 05-09-2012 09:18 PM #23
      Wait.

You need to get her a car, and you are going to marry her? Is she not able to take care of basic necessities?

"You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      05-09-2012 09:36 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post

we did exactly that. we saved a sh*tload, and instead of blowing it on some stupid party, we bought a house in NYC.

edit - we didn't do the hillbilly BBQ though, actually went to a catering hall and had a small intimate party.

got sh*tfaced on Remy Martin XO Special

Vehicles
      '00 XJ, '08 N* SRX4 (hers), '70 Beetle (rusty and parked)
      05-09-2012 10:24 PM #25
      Everyone saying you need a brand new car to be safe is higher than ten hippies. Cars have been quite safe for a long time. I don't feel guilty putting my kids in my Jeep, even though my wife's Cadillac is "safer." Before that I didn't feel guilty putting them in my mk2 Jetta.

Do the financially responsible thing and buy (don't confuse the word "finance" with this one) a car you can afford. There are lots of really good, reliable, affordable cars out there. Carmakers have been in the appliance business for years, so finding something suitable you can buy outright shouldn't be a monumental task.

This whole safety thing has reached a point of diminishing returns. I don't disagree that a car built today is safer than the previous generation of the same car, but honestly, what's in it for me, and how likely am I to need that "extra" safety?

26. 05-09-2012 10:27 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      Give your wife the GTI and then find a real car to turn into a track vehicle
      +1
      Quote Originally Posted by slikaznricer View Post
      Dude, its the internet. Everyone trolls everyone. if you get butthurt, go buy some preparation H or troll back.

Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Sportwagen
      05-09-2012 10:37 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by JLJetta View Post
      Wait.

You need to get her a car, and you are going to marry her? Is she not able to take care of basic necessities?

no joke. people put themselves in some ridiculous situations around here.
      good decisions - '05 s4, '05 sti, '07 wrx, '07 & '08gsxr-600s, '03 20th gti #1, '12 jetta
      bad mistakes - '04 frontier s/c, '04 tt 3.2l, '03 tdi wagon, '03 20th gti #2

28. 05-09-2012 10:39 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by KC Jazz View Post
      no joke. people put themselves in some ridiculous situations around here.
      bringing the trash off the street eh?
      Quote Originally Posted by slikaznricer View Post
      Dude, its the internet. Everyone trolls everyone. if you get butthurt, go buy some preparation H or troll back.

29. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-09-2012 11:09 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by JLJetta View Post
      Wait.

Maybe she just turned 16 and is pregnant.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

30. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-09-2012 11:49 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post

Sarcasm?

Jest if you must, but I know MANY young women that think a shiny red Cavalier is "cute".

Vehicles
      MTA
      05-09-2012 11:52 PM #31
      Figure out what you're going to spend on a leased car and then put that amount into a used Honda.

Get great mileage, great safety and reliability-- and you actually own it.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 CW Golf TDI, 2013 Evil Undead
      05-10-2012 12:54 AM #32
      Sarcasm?

Jest if you must, but I know MANY young women that think a shiny red Cavalier is "cute".
      There's a difference between being a fan of something and having an opinion on it.
      Lately I have been testing "tip-in events". Just the tip-in. Just to see how it feels. Response time is typically on the order of 2-3 seconds. Sometimes the injection timing is a little off...

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      05-10-2012 01:01 AM #33
      First off LoL at spending tons of $$ to turn a GTi into a track car But seriously this is you're wife, she should be driving a nicer car than you really unless mpg's are super important because she has a long commute.

I'm not saying buy a new car but why not something on the lines of an IS300 Lexus? '02-'03 Nissan Maxima, Altima 3.5....How reliable were 1st gen Cadillac CTS's?? 2nd gen ES300 is not a bad looking car and dead reliable.

34. 05-10-2012 06:01 PM #34
      Maybe she just turned 16 and is pregnant.
      Well, then it is probably a different guy who was paying her $750/month for an old passat.
      "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."