Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Did something crazy, got me a high mileage Mercedes 190e 2.6 - Moral support needed

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.6
      05-08-2012 11:17 PM #1
      After weeks of searching for a nice cheap DD in a sea of overpriced beat up civics and hick-tuned cherokees, I made a crazy move and fell in love with this Mercedes.
      I got seduced by it's mis-matchingly fading headlights and it's allure that screams ''I've circled the earth twice''. The interior is glorious and I felt a bond.

The problem is I don't know where this relationship might be going. She has over 450 000km (roughly 270k miles). And works needs to be done before she's (or is it ''he''? I don't know yet) back on the road.

The good:
      -Great interior. The back seats have probably never been sat in. The front seat are almost as good. no rips or scuffs. The dash is perfect, so are the carpets, door cards and headliner.
      -All the electronics work. Heated seats, P-windows, locks, sun-roof, switched and gizmos.
      -The car was undercoated every year so it has great floors.
      -The engine pulls nice and the tranny is crisp like a MB tranny should.
      -Recent maintenance includes new plugs, wires, ignition coil, radiator hoses, brake pads, rotors, and e-brake cable.
      -PO had the car serviced at a shop I befriend and they confirmed that he followed their recommendations and always had the necessary maintenance done and with authentic parts. I have their all clear as far as the soundness of the car.
      -comes with a fresh set of studded Pirelli winter tires and a spare set of rims (with bad tires)
      -Cost 700$!

The bad:
      -It leaks coolant around the water pump area. Might be seals or water pump itself.
      -Heater core is probably cracked and is leaking coolant inside the car. Which was probably caused by the PO trying to fix the previous leak with some Stop-Leak.
      -Some surface rust and dings.
      -Badly faded paint.
      -There is some minimal work to be done to make the exhaust ''perfect''.
      -450 000km!

I'm calling upon the great collective intelligence of TCL to guide me in this adventure. I'll try to upgrade my progress here as I go along and if ever I fail, I shall rest my head on the cutting log and let everyone have a swing at this virtual guillotine!

As per dictated by the rules:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...36765041_o.jpg

Sorry about the image quality, I'm a welder, not a photographer...

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      05-08-2012 11:23 PM #2
      For 700 canuckisan dollars (what is that, like 20 bucks american? ), it was worth a shot in the dark. Even if it does give you unexpected issues soon down the road, you can surely flip it for what you paid, right?

05-08-2012 11:33 PM #3
      Welcome to the 190 club!

You'll want to familiarize yourself with the 190rev forums, the PeachParts technical forums, and perhaps the BenzWorld forums. Those resources will get you started with everything you need to know. There are not many w201 owners here on TCL, but there is a 'You need a w201' thread for some inspiration.

1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      05-08-2012 11:36 PM #4
      Not hard to see the attraction. Yeah, put some money into repairs and get that thing out on the road! Even if it "only" gives you another 50k, that's pretty good for a few thousand invested.

05-08-2012 11:38 PM #5
      Full parts diagrams are available here http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/mb/model__1_1

Use google to translate.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      '96 B4V VR6, Poverty-spec E46
      05-08-2012 11:40 PM #6
      2.6 models are rather rare here. My buddy has a 190e 2.3, and he beats the living piss out of it every single day, and that car just keeps going and going. I'd say just drive it as it until it blows up. Even though it's MB, at that mileage the bottom end is probably starting to get a little weak, and rebuilding those engines is labour-intensive and generally pretty expensive.

Once it does go, find a diesel and swap that bad-boy.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-08-2012 11:48 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by max302 View Post

Once it does go, find a diesel and swap that bad-boy.
      Now there's a plan!

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm starting to feel a bit less crazy!

I'll try to clean it up tomorrow and take some decent-ish pictures.

Vehicles
      It's broken.
      05-09-2012 12:08 AM #8
      Or you could just bolt in a 3.0, which is a direct transplant, cant even tell the difference externally.

And fwiw, rebuilding one of these engines is NOT hard. It's about as easy as it gets, there's really nothing special about the motor.

The rear window actuators might work now, but they probably wont in the future, so if you're ever visiting a junkyard and happen across one, grab the rear window regs.

9. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      05-09-2012 11:26 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      For 700 canuckisan dollars (what is that, like 20 bucks american? )?
      more like $800 american these days...

id bypass the heatercore and keep driving it, then when fall approaches id sell it any buy a cleaner one.

id bet youd even get your $700 out of it when it came time to sell!

10. 05-09-2012 12:09 PM #10
      I would be scared of a Honda or Toyota with those miles, but you are out there, doing your thing.

Coconuts.

Respect.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-09-2012 12:20 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      I would be scared of a Honda or Toyota with those miles, but you are out there, doing your thing.

Coconuts.

Respect.

Coconuts are indeed awesome. Therefore, thanks for the thumbs-up!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-09-2012 12:22 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post

id bypass the heatercore and keep driving it, then when fall approaches id sell it any buy a cleaner one.

id bet youd even get your $700 out of it when it came time to sell!
      This is probably what I'll end up doing. Or I might keep it, depending on the amount of love it gives out.

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      05-09-2012 12:39 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Gabo View Post
      This is probably what I'll end up doing. Or I might keep it, depending on the amount of love it gives out.
      id say its not worth swapping engines or getting into serious mechanical work on a car thats beat up and leaking that you got for $700...

just run it, keep it running as best you can, then sell it again to the next guy for what you paid. get a cleaner one if you really fall in love with the 190

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-09-2012 12:50 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      id say its not worth swapping engines or getting into serious mechanical work on a car thats beat up and leaking that you got for $700...

just run it, keep it running as best you can, then sell it again to the next guy for what you paid. get a cleaner one if you really fall in love with the 190
      I wouldn't mind doing an engine swap just for the experience of doing it. It's the kind of stuff I have fun doing, and if I learn something new in the process; Bonus!

Although I agree it's not the most logical thing to do, but we're not there yet!

Vehicles
      93 corrado vr6, 95 golf race car, 05 trailblazer, 06 BMW 325ixT
      05-09-2012 01:56 PM #15
      Car lounge and logic are mutually exclusive qualities

Vehicles
      currently '09 128i previously '91 190E 2.6
      05-10-2012 02:13 PM #16
      Welcome, brother.

The non-OEM parts make me cringe, like the wiper and the muffler, but at this mileage I can understand it.

I have 244K on mine and it's been a train. I've only done brakes (x2), tires (x2), a serpentine belt & tensioner and an alternator.

Follow the factory intervals to a tee, drive it gently and why not see how long yours can go? These cars encourage you to do so in town anyway, at least with the automatic. Just cruise and enjoy.

Most M103 cars have leak problems, it's a fact of life. However, I heard the factory has found a better liquid gasket formula for these motors, at least for the timing chain cover. I've been lucky, I'm on my original gasket and chain. I've been told by the local dealer tech: "...if it ain't broke, don't mess with it." So I'm not.

Heater cores are a big job on these, from what I've read. And if you're not handy with turning the wrenches yourself, and this is your only car, I wouldn't recommend you try.

Oh and at that mileage you qualify for one of these already, and if you keep with it, you could be entitled to two.

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...vice.0005.html

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-11-2012 11:01 PM #17
      These ''mileage-medals'' are pretty cool, I will for sure make a request for one!

This car will never be a OEM princess. I want a reliable car that I can have fun with and appreciate the finer German auto engineering of the 80's/90's!

I have bypassed my heater-core today. It took me 15 minutes and seems to work. Although I think I managed to get some air trapped somewhere since it is over heating. And now I have a low oil-pressure problem! Oh the fun! Did I mention I was having fun?

Lets see what the MB experts from 190rev and benzworld have to say!

Vehicles
      '11 335d
      05-11-2012 11:22 PM #18
      What I like is you saved a car that has actually circled the earth TEN times, and yes, a car with that kind of longevity and class needs a crazy canuck to step in and save it. And you are the man for it. I think its just great that you have kept a car with that much history from the crusher.
      Touareg Hybrids are pretty nice, and the warm fuzzies I felt while driving the hybrid was actually the fingers of all of the German tax payers trying to reach into my wallet to get their money back. (Brendan@bwalkauto)

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington P Funk View Post
      Simpleton? I think you've both got me mixed up with someone else.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-11-2012 11:40 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by fbobberts View Post
      What I like is you saved a car that has actually circled the earth TEN times, and yes, a car with that kind of longevity and class needs a crazy canuck to step in and save it. And you are the man for it. I think its just great that you have kept a car with that much history from the crusher.
      It has longevity, class; that's debatable at this point! I'm definitely crazy, yet hopefully not too much with this project...