Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Buddy bought a tranny....

Vehicles
      03 GTI GT3076r, 03 JETTA K03, 03 AUDI A4 GT3076R
      05-09-2012 01:39 AM #1
      Well one of my friends bought a 02j transmission not sure the code, but when spinning one of the flanges with it not in gear both of them spin in the same direction. Im just wondering because on my car one spins one way and the other one spins opposite.

Any ideas?
      MY BUILD | 2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T | CTT - Carrot Top Tuning - GT3076r, 3" to 2.5" turboback exhaust (vbanded), Tial 38mm wastegate, fx400 6 puck, Peloquin LSD, VF Poly Engine Mounts, Greddy Profec B Type II, walbro 255 inline fuel pump, ID1600cc @ 3bar running on e85. AMB head, AWD bottom end. 434whp 369wtq @ 30psi (OLD: 383 whp 333wtq @ 23 psi)

Vehicles
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      05-09-2012 05:01 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by codergfx View Post
      Well one of my friends bought a 02j transmission not sure the code, but when spinning one of the flanges with it not in gear both of them spin in the same direction. Im just wondering because on my car one spins one way and the other one spins opposite.

Any ideas?
      Just a matter of internal resistance most likely.

Both trans are installed into vehicles, or is his on the bench?

If they are both installed and both cars are off the ground for the test, it means your diff is breaking loose sooner than his.

Out of gear means the output shaft is free to spin while the input shaft doesn't. When installed into the car, the clutch and engine will hold the input shaft still.

Spinning one flange will either make the diff break free and spin the opposite flange the other direction, or the diff will spin as a complete until, and will spin the output shaft with it (the input shaft held by the clutch).

Try this test... put both in 1st gear so the input shaft is held with the clutch, the shafts are connected through 1st gear, and the output shaft will also be held stationary as a result. NOW spin just one flange while both front wheels are in the air.
      It'll spin the other flange the opposite direction. The force needed to spin the one flange will show you how tight the diff is before it wants to "break" and transfer power to one wheel or the other.

If the diff is tight, it'll want to turn the engine over. If it is loose, it'll spin easily.
      020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

Vehicles
      03 GTI GT3076r, 03 JETTA K03, 03 AUDI A4 GT3076R
      05-09-2012 10:26 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Broke View Post
      Just a matter of internal resistance most likely.

Both trans are installed into vehicles, or is his on the bench?

If they are both installed and both cars are off the ground for the test, it means your diff is breaking loose sooner than his.

Out of gear means the output shaft is free to spin while the input shaft doesn't. When installed into the car, the clutch and engine will hold the input shaft still.

Spinning one flange will either make the diff break free and spin the opposite flange the other direction, or the diff will spin as a complete until, and will spin the output shaft with it (the input shaft held by the clutch).

Try this test... put both in 1st gear so the input shaft is held with the clutch, the shafts are connected through 1st gear, and the output shaft will also be held stationary as a result. NOW spin just one flange while both front wheels are in the air.
      It'll spin the other flange the opposite direction. The force needed to spin the one flange will show you how tight the diff is before it wants to "break" and transfer power to one wheel or the other.

If the diff is tight, it'll want to turn the engine over. If it is loose, it'll spin easily.
      Alright I'll give it a try
      MY BUILD | 2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T | CTT - Carrot Top Tuning - GT3076r, 3" to 2.5" turboback exhaust (vbanded), Tial 38mm wastegate, fx400 6 puck, Peloquin LSD, VF Poly Engine Mounts, Greddy Profec B Type II, walbro 255 inline fuel pump, ID1600cc @ 3bar running on e85. AMB head, AWD bottom end. 434whp 369wtq @ 30psi (OLD: 383 whp 333wtq @ 23 psi)