Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: OEM headlight options? Xenon vs Bi-Xenon vs Halogen - CC owners come in!

1. 05-09-2012 02:36 AM #1
      Hi Folks,

Currently an MKIV Jetta VR6 owner here , looking to make the jump to a 2009-2011 CC, and in desperate need of your expertise/guidance.

I need to understand the difference and terminology used to describe the following headlight units:

1)

2)

I understand, so far, that 1) is the European version and comes WITHOUT the orange reflector in the unit. This is the exact look I'm going for. I reside in Canada, BTW; so all North American CCs come with the headlight pictured in 2), with the orange reflector. I have found OEM European units on eBay that I'm hoping to make a direct swap with (through researching the forums, I found out that removing the orange reflector isn't as straight-forward as baking the lens on the CC)

Going one step further, I've seen North American CCs come with the following two lighting options:
      A)

B)

I'm actually looking for the name used to describe A). Seeing that it has a projection lens to focus scattered light, my first guess is that this is the Xenon headlight unit.... and to me, is actually more visually pleasing than B). Looking at B), my guess is that it is a Halogen bulb... however, I have seen it referred to as a "Bi-Xenon" light many times.

If it is a matter of restriction to certain model years or trim level (ie: sportline vs highline vs VR6), then please let me know, so that I may focus my search a bit more.

....Hoping that you owners can really shed some light (pun intended) on this for me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Lux
      05-09-2012 04:07 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Repooc View Post
      Going one step further, I've seen North American CCs come with the following two lighting options:
      A)

B)

I'm actually looking for the name used to describe A). Seeing that it has a projection lens to focus scattered light, my first guess is that this is the Xenon headlight unit.... and to me, is actually more visually pleasing than B). Looking at B), my guess is that it is a Halogen bulb... however, I have seen it referred to as a "Bi-Xenon" light many times.

If it is a matter of restriction to certain model years or trim level (ie: sportline vs highline vs VR6), then please let me know, so that I may focus my search a bit more.

....Hoping that you owners can really shed some light (pun intended) on this for me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
      Picture A is of the Bi-Xenon headlight. They are on all VR6 models and I think the top of the line Lux for the 2.0T of the later years. For 2009 the Bi-Xenon are only available on the VR6 models, all 2.0T have the halogen headlights as shown in Picture B. One major caveat to this however is that I could have sworn there was talk here previously about the Canadian models having the Bi-Xenon headlights, which if true would be completely kick ass for you.

3. 05-09-2012 09:57 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by InvertedB View Post
      Picture A is of the Bi-Xenon headlight. They are on all VR6 models and I think the top of the line Lux for the 2.0T of the later years. For 2009 the Bi-Xenon are only available on the VR6 models, all 2.0T have the halogen headlights as shown in Picture B. One major caveat to this however is that I could have sworn there was talk here previously about the Canadian models having the Bi-Xenon headlights, which if true would be completely kick ass for you.
      Thanks for the feedback! This helps SO much.

Well I definitely had my names crossed then, if this is the case!

I would love to confirm that all the Canadian models having Bi-Xenon lights; however unfortunately this is not the case, as I see both the Bi-Xenon and Halogen around here.

I don't want another VR6 engine, hence why I'm looking only at the 2.0T.... I guess this means that I'll have to focus my search on the "Luxury" trim level of the 2.0T?

For clarity, does this mean that there are 4 trim levels for 2009-2011 available (excluding the R-line, of course)?
      1) Sportline
      2) Highline
      3) Luxury
      4) VR6

I always assumed that Highline = Luxury

Thanks again for all your help,

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Lux
      05-09-2012 12:58 PM #4
      The trim levels are a bit confusing. They changed them up during the run of the first gen CC as well as the options with each.

2009:
      Sport (Halogen)
      Luxury (Halogen)
      VR6 Sport (Bi-Xenon)
      VR6 4Motion (Bi-Xenon)

2010:
      Sport (Halogen)
      Luxury (Halogen w/ HID optional(not referred to as Bi-Xenon by VW))
      VR6 Sport (Bi-Xenon)
      VR6 4Motion (Bi-Xenon)

2011:
      Sport (Halogen)
      Lux (Halogen)
      Lux Plus (Halogen)
      Lux Limited (Bi-Xenon)
      VR6 4Motion Executive (Bi-Xenon)

2012:
      Sport (Halogen)
      RLine (Halogen)
      Lux (Halogen)
      Lux Plus (Halogen)
      Lux Limited (Bi-Xenon)
      VR6 4Motion Executive (Bi-Xenon)

The RLine is available as an option of the Sport since 2010, however VW didn't actually call it it's own trim until 2012.

Hope that helps with your search!