Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 108

    Thread: Stock Volkswagen diesel goes 1626.1 miles on a single tank

    1. Member GermaniuM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2001
      Location
      Toronto, ON
      Posts
      5,613
      05-09-2012 11:26 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      Yeah, no thanks! The fuel efficiency achieved is not worth my time. I'd rather dump lots and lots of hydrocarbons in the air with my kittyless 335i
      Anyone who drives a catless car especially one that came with a cat, is a total douche.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2003
      Location
      Barrie,On.
      Posts
      9,374
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      05-09-2012 11:27 AM #37
      Great mileage! So with a few changes to your everyday driving style 50+ mpg should be pretty simple.

    3. 05-09-2012 11:27 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Dunno about the dealer, but I just checked ECS and they have it

      http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Adblue/ES465415/

      5 gallons = 18 liters. That's a lot of small adblue bottles.

    4. Member dub01's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 15th, 2003
      Location
      York, Pa.
      Posts
      927
      Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      05-09-2012 11:29 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Interesting. Too bad you can't just buy adblue outright and do it yourself. (I've read you can get it at truck stops if you happen to be so lucky)... but the dealer won't sell it to you, it's a service type item?

      Has that changed?
      The VW dealer sells small containers (1/2 gal.) to the public. They have a special nozzle to attach it to the filler to reduce spills. The 2.5 gal. containers are a bit more inconvenient for the regular consumer to use as it needs a machine to be able to pump it into the tank.
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      I believe the operation parameters on those Hunter machines specifies that if the measurements for camber and toe exceed 45 degrees, the operator and the vehicle's owner are required to commit ritual suicide. So I would recommend mounting it on oil drums and making it a river boat instead.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2009
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      2,558
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      05-09-2012 11:30 AM #40
      i wonder if the 14 hours driving takes into account breaks for lunch and bathroom. if it does, then the average could very well go up to 50ish mph average.

      my dad got 55mpg while going 55 in traffic (not stop and go). im sure if you baby it, you can get somewhat close to 65, but 84 seems a bit high.


      if you do the math tho, 1626.1 miles / 84.1 mpg, then you 19.33 gallons of Vin Diesel. I thought the passat has an 18.7 tank. filled to the brim, and w fuel already in the lines, i doubt that could make up the .6 gallon difference.

    6. 05-09-2012 11:30 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by dub01 View Post
      The VW dealer sells small containers (1/2 gal.) to the public. They have a special nozzle to attach it to the filler to reduce spills. The 2.5 gal. containers are a bit more inconvenient for the regular consumer to use as it needs a machine to be able to pump it into the tank.
      Interesting. This wasn't the case in 2010 when I was researching diesel cars from VW. At least in the Touareg it was a service only type of deal. Not sure if that was a VW restriction or a gov't.

    7. 05-09-2012 11:33 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Interesting. Too bad you can't just buy adblue outright and do it yourself. (I've read you can get it at truck stops if you happen to be so lucky)... but the dealer won't sell it to you, it's a service type item?

      Has that changed?
      ?? Never was that way - DEF (Diesel Exaust Fluid) started out w/somewhat limited availability, but is now pretty much available everywhere - even @ Wallyworld. Just be sure to use the AdBlue filler (don't want to spill it - see B7 forum).

    8. Member dub01's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 15th, 2003
      Location
      York, Pa.
      Posts
      927
      Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      05-09-2012 11:34 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Interesting. This wasn't the case in 2010 when I was researching diesel cars from VW. At least in the Touareg it was a service only type of deal. Not sure if that was a VW restriction or a gov't.
      I think it was just slow rollout. We didn't have any at our dealership for about 3 months after the Touareg TDI V6 hit the market. I do remember watching training vids telling us that the consumer would be able to fill it on their own.
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      I believe the operation parameters on those Hunter machines specifies that if the measurements for camber and toe exceed 45 degrees, the operator and the vehicle's owner are required to commit ritual suicide. So I would recommend mounting it on oil drums and making it a river boat instead.

    9. 05-09-2012 11:36 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      ?? Never was that way - DEF (Diesel Exaust Fluid) started out w/somewhat limited availability, but is now pretty much available everywhere - even @ Wallyworld. Just be sure to use the AdBlue filler (don't want to spill it - see B7 forum).
      Twas that way in 2010. AdBlue was a dealer only type deal. Maybe it was just slow rollout like dub01 says.

    10. 05-09-2012 11:40 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Twas that way in 2010. AdBlue was a dealer only type deal. Maybe it was just slow rollout like dub01 says.
      Nope. "AdBlue" is a trade name for the entire system. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (the liquid) has been around for years, and went into wide scale use over the past decade. VW here in the US didn't seem to know that - but MB did. Go figure.

    11. Member Soze.K's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 15th, 2009
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      807
      Vehicles
      20AE
      05-09-2012 11:42 AM #46
      I wonder if the bros slampiece was giving him any dome action on that slow 1600 mile drive..

    12. 05-09-2012 11:42 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      Nope. "AdBlue" is a trade name for the entire system. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (the liquid) has been around for years, and went into wide scale use over the past decade. VW here in the US didn't seem to know that - but MB did. Go figure.
      Ok dude. If you say so. All I know is my VW dealer, in 2010 told me that AdBlue could only be added by the dealer (or perhaps was just part of the 10/20/30k maint) on the bigger motors. It was a non issue on my JSW TDI since it didn't need it.

    13. Senior Member .LSinLV.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2009
      Location
      Vegas Bitches!
      Posts
      29,017
      Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      05-09-2012 11:44 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Interesting. Too bad you can't just buy adblue outright and do it yourself. (I've read you can get it at truck stops if you happen to be so lucky)... but the dealer won't sell it to you, it's a service type item?

      Has that changed?
      my dealer sold me the big bottle for $8. we don't need it as the T3 is covered under 36mo/36K miles warranty and service, but I thought about having it for a spare in case.
      Larry

      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

    14. 05-09-2012 11:45 AM #49
      Considering Ford managed this: http://gas2.org/2010/06/25/ford-must...ol-race-track/
      I don't know why anyone would think they are outright lying. Still, sounds boring as hell.

    15. 05-09-2012 11:46 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Ok dude. If you say so. All I know is my VW dealer, in 2010 told me that AdBlue could only be added by the dealer (or perhaps was just part of the 10/20/30k maint) on the bigger motors. It was a non issue on my JSW TDI since it didn't need it.
      As is all too often, VW dealer was, well, fill in your own phrase. Ah well.

      Oh, and I'm not "saying so". There's this thing called "google". Try it w/Diesel Exhaust Fluid sometime. It may be educational...
      Last edited by 2VWatatime; 05-09-2012 at 11:50 AM.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2003
      Location
      Barrie,On.
      Posts
      9,374
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      05-09-2012 11:55 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Ok dude. If you say so. All I know is my VW dealer, in 2010 told me that AdBlue could only be added by the dealer (or perhaps was just part of the 10/20/30k maint) on the bigger motors. It was a non issue on my JSW TDI since it didn't need it.
      Time to stop listening to your dealer.

    17. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      17,950
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      05-09-2012 11:56 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Interesting. This wasn't the case in 2010 when I was researching diesel cars from VW. At least in the Touareg it was a service only type of deal. Not sure if that was a VW restriction or a gov't.
      You're mistaken. They will sell it over the counter. Maybe you were in contact with a single dealer who was misinformed.

      On another note, I just ordered a Passat TDI just like the one pictured here (same color). Looking forward to it.

    18. 05-09-2012 11:57 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by 300_munkeys View Post
      Considering Ford managed this: http://gas2.org/2010/06/25/ford-must...ol-race-track/
      I don't know why anyone would think they are outright lying. Still, sounds boring as hell.
      Even if the VW people were averaging around the same speed, on road conditions are a lot different than going in circles on a track IMO.

    19. Member SoLo2pointO's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2001
      Location
      Pennsyltucky
      Posts
      11,069
      Vehicles
      05 Tin Can
      05-09-2012 12:40 PM #54
      Needs more aerodynamics.

      Turn down for what?

    20. Member jamerican1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 8th, 2005
      Location
      VA
      Posts
      3,631
      Vehicles
      2008 A4 S-Line Titanium QTM, 2000 A4 QTM, 1993 Audi 90S (sold), 1992 Toyota Corolla
      05-09-2012 12:51 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      On another note, I just ordered a Passat TDI just like the one pictured here (same color). Looking forward to it.


      Also, that's some pretty incredible mileage
      Unf*ckwithable

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 25th, 2010
      Location
      Dayton, OH
      Posts
      649
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI Tornado Red
      05-09-2012 12:52 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
      I got 38.9 MPG in my GTI a few weeks ago on a 9 mile "trip". I averaged 38 MPH. =D
      Yup, I average 36 on my 3 mile morning commute... given going to work is mostly downhill and a .25 mile drive to the highway. Going home is a different story though

      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Without knowing the actual average speed this is a difficult one to figure out.
      http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ntcmp=features

      The couple told the Times Free Press of Chattanooga, Tenn., where the Passat is built, that they kept the six-speed manual transmission in top gear as often as possible, typically cruised at 60 mph and only used the air conditioning twice during the trip. They brought 120 pounds of luggage along to make the experience as realistic as possible

    22. Member AnAgentOrange's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2011
      Location
      Palmdale CA
      Posts
      942
      Vehicles
      92 SLC/69 FJ40/97 4Runner
      05-09-2012 01:10 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by MXTHOR3 View Post
      Time to stop listening to your dealer.
      Yup. Our dealer has sold the big bottles over the counter since we first got them. Never an issue. Most TDI owners are quite capable of handling the stuff on their own
      Quote Originally Posted by under the radar View Post
      if you're not into chicks, a dude can hold your cup too.
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      How do you kill a Mk.ii? Run it with low oil, at redline for a few hours while jumping it off things. Fill the engine with sticks and dirt. Repeat.

    23. Member stascom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2009
      Location
      So. Oregon
      Posts
      5,436
      Vehicles
      a Nissan
      05-10-2012 01:22 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      Please.. 3 days driving 1600 miles. I can't possibly imagine driving on the highway at 40 mph, let alone for 3 days and 1600 miles. I'd just open the door and jump out hoping for a quick and sudden death.

      Yeah, no thanks! The fuel efficiency achieved is not worth my time. I'd rather dump lots and lots of hydrocarbons in the air with my kittyless 335i
      Yeah, well, not everyone is as awesome and badass as yourself. All those 400WHP and probably still getting 35MPG. I want to be you.

      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      I'm not saying it is a lie, and I would also believe that they did not drive a full 14 hours the last day and had a higher average speed. But I wonder how much of the savings goes out the window when you figure that since it took 3 days instead of 2 days, another night was spent at a $50 a night motel off the interstate. They're probably still ahead of the game but it really becomes a time/speed/distance factor to figure out your best overall economy.
      The point, like someone mentioned, is that this car is incredibly efficient. You don't have to drive 40MPH to appreciate the savings. Drive 60MPH, don't hypermile like a prius douche, and you'll probably still get, idk, 1000 miles out of the tank. That's very good for a car with such cargo capacity and size. Given the styling, quality, and manual tranny, I don't see worthy competitors on the market. But that's my personal opinion.

    24. Member eunos94's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2002
      Location
      Northeast Ohio
      Posts
      6,955
      Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      05-10-2012 01:53 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Without knowing the actual average speed this is a difficult one to figure out.
      3 days 14 hours a day covering 1600 miles = roughly 45mph so I'd venture to say they spent a great deal of time watching the GPH on their scangauge whilst utilizing every other hypermiling trick in the book.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

    25. Member lowredcabrio's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 21st, 2004
      Location
      Saskatchewan
      Posts
      6,045
      Vehicles
      1990 BMW 325i
      05-10-2012 02:06 AM #60
      A few summers ago with my TDI I set out to go a whole summer of city driving on one tank. I planned to bicycle when I could to save fuel too. I made it about two months and probably about 600km in before I had to drive to another city and throw my plan off but in that while, I manged 68 IMPG city driving. I was very impressed but I imagine it was hard on the car. I avoided idling whenever possible, coasted in neutral a whole lot and when I was close to my destination, I would off engine coast to a parking spot. When I worked it out right, I could coast over a kilometre to a spot with the engine off.
      3 + 3 + 3 = NEIN!

    26. Senior Member feels_road's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2005
      Location
      East Bay Area
      Posts
      22,465
      Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-10-2012 02:29 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      I'm not saying it is a lie, and I would also believe that they did not drive a full 14 hours the last day and had a higher average speed. But I wonder how much of the savings goes out the window when you figure that since it took 3 days instead of 2 days, another night was spent at a $50 a night motel off the interstate. They're probably still ahead of the game but it really becomes a time/speed/distance factor to figure out your best overall economy.
      As others have said, that wasn't the goal. However, 14 h driving just leaves you with 2 hours for lunch, dinner, breakfast, unpacking/packing, taking a shower, etc. outside of 8 ours of sleep. So, that's about right. I did the reverse trip (and beyond) many moons ago, and it took me two days to just outside Texas, and then another full day to cross Texas.

      Quote Originally Posted by seroki View Post
      Yup, I average 36 on my 3 mile morning commute... given going to work is mostly downhill and a .25 mile drive to the highway. Going home is a different story though
      I start at 400', go up above 1,600', and arrive at ~1,000'. On the way there, I typically drive about 2 miles in the city and stop to buy something once - with all the idling at stop signs and signals, and low speed, that's definitely not the most efficient way to warm up a Diesel. Then there is the net 600' altitude gain, with only about 5 of the 12 miles total on the highway. I typically get ~30mpg going. Coming back, the car warms up efficiently during the initial 600' altitude gain. I also have a net altitude loss of 600'. If I take it easy (~65 mph on the highway part - don't worry, it's usually late at night), I end up with ~60mpg on the way home. Quite a difference, eh?
      Last edited by feels_road; 05-10-2012 at 02:32 AM.

    27. Member romanl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2010
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      2,393
      Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      05-10-2012 02:39 AM #62
      14 hours is really not that bad,
      when i drove from NYC to Park City 2,200 miles, i did it in 2 days
      1st day 900 miles in 13 hours, stopped to fill up twice, used bathroom, food to go
      2nd day 1300 miles in 17 hours, stopped to fill up 3 times, used bathroom, food to go
      that was in my 03 Impala, so cruising in that boat is no biggie.

      even now i drive from LA to Denver in the winter. this is now in my 10 TDI GOLF
      i've had 17 hour dirves
      record was just under 13 ,,, still averaged low 40's and mid 40's on way back thanks to elevation drop
      only stops are for fuel/bathroom and food to go to save time.

      but thats just me and i enjoy being on the road
      Last edited by romanl; 05-10-2012 at 02:41 AM.

    28. Member Klim18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      1,318
      Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      05-10-2012 02:40 AM #63
      While it seems highly unlikely, I do believe in exceptions and assuming all this is true I think it's awesome! I managed to get 46 mpg once in the winter driving 65 mph for a period of 37 miles on the highway using cruise control and not slowing down or accelerating at any point... that's about 15 mpg over what was advertised by VW. Is it practical? Not really. Is it fun? Kinda.

    29. Member romanl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2010
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      2,393
      Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      05-10-2012 02:42 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Klim18 View Post
      While it seems highly unlikely, I do believe in exceptions and assuming all this is true I think it's awesome! I managed to get 46 mpg once in the winter driving 65 mph for a period of 37 miles on the highway using cruise control and not slowing down or accelerating at any point... that's about 15 mpg over what was advertised by VW. Is it practical? Not really. Is it fun? Kinda.
      but you get better millage by not using cruise control.....true story

    30. Member Mastiff's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2006
      Location
      OKC / CVG
      Posts
      792
      Vehicles
      2004 VW R32 reflex silver
      05-10-2012 03:35 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by GermaniuM View Post
      Anyone who drives a catless car especially one that came with a cat, is a total douche.
      Here go hang out with these people , I think they are more your speed then TcL.

      http://www.earthfirst.org/
      Migrant aircraft worker... with a nasty VW habit .... Have tools will travel.

    31. Member eunos94's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2002
      Location
      Northeast Ohio
      Posts
      6,955
      Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      05-10-2012 03:57 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
      Here go hang out with these people , I think they are more your speed then TcL.

      http://www.earthfirst.org/
      Learn your then/than rules, Mr Douche
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

    32. Member RogueTDI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      14,803
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      05-10-2012 06:19 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by SCVR6 View Post
      That's awesome!
      Thats absolutely impressive. I wonder how they accounted for wind.and elevation changes. Regardless, incredible.

    33. Member O2VW1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 9th, 2003
      Posts
      14,248
      Vehicles
      2015 GTi 6speed
      05-10-2012 06:24 AM #68
      That is crazy yesterday i averaged 55mpg going 60-65mph mostly but i have in no hurry and just wanted to relax. I could not handle it for the tank of the trip. Best was 657mpt at 75mph in my JSW TDi. I could hit 750 maybe 800 a tank if i hypermilled and went 60-65mph on 14 gallons of gas.
      02 GTi 1.8T haldex'd w/35r-SOLD 7.3@102mph 27psi on 93 octane--04 A4 1.8T converted to AWD also- SOLD--'11 JSW Tdi 6speed Manual- Gone--
      13' BMW 335i M-sport EBII

    34. Member RogueTDI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      14,803
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      05-10-2012 06:29 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      At 40? not likely.
      Average speed is not necessarily much of an indication of typical highway speeds. Could be they did 45-50mph highway, but slowed down a fair amount going through towns...? Who knows.

    35. Senior Member feels_road's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2005
      Location
      East Bay Area
      Posts
      22,465
      Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-10-2012 06:35 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by RogueTDI View Post
      Thats absolutely impressive. I wonder how they accounted for wind.and elevation changes. Regardless, incredible.
      Well, both start and destination are basically at sea level - but the region in between is not. However, Diesels are very efficient under load, so mountains don't matter as much (I got 53 mpg from the Bay Area to San Diego flogging it on the Grapevine - virtually passing everything in my sight [got to love OEM-hp-underrated turbos at altitude], with three people and tons of luggage). And, while the upper atmosphere wind direction (jet stream) is in their favor, ground-level turbulence is almost omnidirectional (outside seasonal patterns) and thus probably didn't help much.

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •