Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 87

    Thread: 2013 Sonata: Manual down, price up.

    1. 05-09-2012 05:21 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      An I-4 with dual exhaust? Interesting..




      No offence to you but that statement makes you sound like you've been living under a cave. S2000, Audi TT, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, etc etc etc. Lots of inline-4 cars now a days are sporting dual mufflers. I think it's a good look and worrying about "weight" is stupid unless you're tracking the car or something.
      Sega|Saturn

    2. Member firstorbit84's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2006
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      3,869
      Vehicles
      '14 Jetta 1.8T, '13 Focus, '99 911
      05-09-2012 05:27 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      I bet they wouldn't. Subaru just finished killing-off the manual-only Legacy GT because -- you guessed it -- not a whole lot of people bought it.
      I didn't say they should have made the turbo model manual only. I just said it should have at least been offered on the turbo and they would have sold more manual sonatas. I test drove the automatic turbo and it was fast but the transmission felt like crap.

      As far as the dual exhaust on a 4 cyl goes, I had a used car salesman swear that the acura tsx had to be a V6 because it had dual exhaust and they only put dual exhaust on v6 and v8 cars. I agreed that it didn't make much sense, except for styling purposes, but we popped the hood and he was definitely wrong
      If your car feels like it's on rails, then you're going too slow.

    3. Member caj1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      7,739
      Vehicles
      2015 BMW M3
      05-09-2012 05:28 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by DTMTrini View Post

      No offence to you but that statement makes you sound like you've been living under a cave. S2000, Audi TT, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, etc etc etc. Lots of inline-4 cars now a days are sporting dual mufflers.
      This is a dual exhaust:



      An inline-4 can't do this. Those cars have dual exhaust exits, and in most cases reduce performance unless they are high output I-4s

    4. 05-09-2012 05:39 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post
      I don't see why people use evidence of not selling them as reasoning that people don't want manual transmissions in cars like this. I work at a Hyundai dealer and have only seen one stick shift 11/12 Sonata.

      Now don't get me wrong, the car I did see I wouldn't have wanted, the shifter felt atrocious and the car was bereft of any features, but still.
      Guess I'll still steer my parents into the next gen accord manual with a 6spd if they choose to upgrade their 2005 4 cylinder lx manual as I know Honda shouldn't screw up the shift feel of a manual tranny and despite all the Honda lost their way statements still have good shifters if the Hyundai manual is that bad. Probably only other car that would probably make sense for their choices would be the Passat with the 5 cylinder, but a possibly shorter over length accord would be better, Passat is too long
      Last edited by Aw614; 05-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.

    5. Member 2.0_Mazda's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 3rd, 2010
      Location
      Montreal, Quebec
      Posts
      2,592
      Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      05-09-2012 05:41 PM #30
      Since we are on the topic of dual exhausts, does any reasonably priced street legal car come with proper dual exhaust like shown above or are they all fake like on the Sonata, 3, and 6.

      I can't think of any

    6. 05-09-2012 05:50 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      This is a dual exhaust:



      An inline-4 can't do this. Those cars have dual exhaust exits, and in most cases reduce performance unless they are high output I-4s
      I dont recall ever saying "dual exhaust", I said "dual mufflers". What I mean by that is exactly what you just stated, two mufflers exiting from a single cat-back. I know it can reduce performance and the fact of the matter is that an inline engine doesn't need more than one full exhaust, but if you're driving a car as a daily, I don't think it really does much harm, especially with current generation cars.
      Sega|Saturn

    7. Senior Member VarianceVQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2005
      Location
      Fancy, Connecticut
      Posts
      20,480
      Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      05-09-2012 05:54 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by firstorbit84 View Post
      I didn't say they should have made the turbo model manual only. I just said it should have at least been offered on the turbo and they would have sold more manual sonatas. I test drove the automatic turbo and it was fast but the transmission felt like crap.
      You're missing my point. Offering the manual in the turbo model wouldn't have made a difference. The take rate would've still been miniscule and they still would've axed it.
      Everybody's dying, bitch; let's get you some fruit.

    8. Member ThreadBomber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      10,680
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU Sahara
      05-09-2012 06:00 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      Since we are on the topic of dual exhausts, does any reasonably priced street legal car come with proper dual exhaust like shown above or are they all fake like on the Sonata, 3, and 6.

      I can't think of any
      V8 Mustangs

      And have since the mid 80's.
      Teefy Buna

      Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

    9. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14,290
      05-09-2012 06:22 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      An inline-4 can't do this. Those cars have dual exhaust exits, and in most cases reduce performance unless they are high output I-4s
      The Sonata SE proves you wrong.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    10. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      33,054
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-09-2012 06:24 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Because symmetry is attractive. Assuming you're a straight male (or gay woman): Don't you prefer your women (and yourself) to have two breasts? Don't you prefer them to be the same size? I trust this solves the mystery.
      When it comes to cars however, the only reason for putting a set up like that is to make your otherwise plebeian car look "sporty". If they were really worried about keeping the rear clean, they'd have a single exhaust tackled underneath the bumper and you wouldn't even see it.

      Marketing at its worst.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    11. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14,290
      05-09-2012 06:28 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      When it comes to cars however, the only reason for putting a set up like that is to make your otherwise plebeian car look "sporty". If they were really worried about keeping the rear clean, they'd have a single exhaust tackled underneath the bumper and you wouldn't even see it.

      Marketing at its worst.
      Because other people like something you don't.

      Diva complex at its worst.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    12. Member caj1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      7,739
      Vehicles
      2015 BMW M3
      05-09-2012 06:54 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      The Sonata SE proves you wrong.
      If they rate their HP like they do their mileage, who knows.

    13. Member ABAcabby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2003
      Location
      Issaquah, WA
      Posts
      727
      Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit 1.6l diesel
      05-09-2012 07:45 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      When it comes to cars however, the only reason for putting a set up like that is to make your otherwise plebeian car look "sporty". If they were really worried about keeping the rear clean, they'd have a single exhaust tackled underneath the bumper and you wouldn't even see it.

      Marketing at its worst.
      Money makes the world go round. It's pretty obvious to me that it doesn't NEED two exhaust tips and that this is a ploy to make the car look slightly more upscale. Complain if you want but you're preachin to the choir.

    14. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      33,054
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-09-2012 07:53 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Because other people like something you don't.

      Diva complex at its worst.
      People like useless wings, porta-holes and stretched tires. There is even a name for those. Dual mufflers coming off a single catback is the same kettle of fish, only it comes as a factory standard.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    15. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14,290
      05-09-2012 08:18 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      People like useless wings, porta-holes and stretched tires. There is even a name for those. Dual mufflers coming off a single catback is the same kettle of fish, only it comes as a factory standard.
      So every car you own or owned has been a pure excercise in utilitarian function over form?

      No exterior elements or interior addons just for the sake of comfort or style?
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    16. 05-09-2012 08:24 PM #41
      V8 with a single exhaust?!?!? WTF?


    17. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      33,054
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-09-2012 08:34 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      So every car you own or owned has been a pure excercise in utilitarian function over form?

      No exterior elements or interior addons just for the sake of comfort or style?
      All of the cars I've ever owned had no bits put on for the sake of "faking it".

      There is absolutely nothing that says stylish about fake dual-exhaust. As I said, the only reason why it's there is so your average joe can say that he owns a sporty car. It may bring more dosh to the car manufacturer, more power to them. The fact remains however is that fake scoops, porta-holes and dual exhausts are absolutely pointless and to those who are unfortunate enough to know a thing or two about cars are a massive eye sore.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    18. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14,290
      05-09-2012 08:37 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      The fact remains however is that fake scoops, porta-holes and dual exhausts are absolutely pointless and to those who are unfortunate enough to have a giant stick up the butt these are a massive eye sore.
      Fixed.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    19. Member
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      679
      05-09-2012 08:56 PM #44
      Im just going to take a wild guess and say that the dual exhaust is there for aesthetic purposes. We're more attracted to things that have symmetry. There's some science papers out there somewhere that show when two objects that look almost exactly the same except one object is slightly asymmetric, even if not noticeable, we will favor the symmetric object. So this may be the push for some buyers who are on edge about purchasing the car.

      And as far as performance and cost of the mufflers go...What is the percentage of sonata drivers that will be modifying their car? And how much would this second exhaust inhibit its performance? I'm sure the answer to both of these questions is negligible at most.

    20. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      33,054
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-09-2012 08:56 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Fixed.
      So, you do agree with me then. All set ups with single catback and dual mufflers are pointless, including your Golf's.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    21. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      33,054
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-09-2012 08:57 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by invisiblewar View Post
      And as far as performance and cost of the mufflers go...What is the percentage of sonata drivers that will be modifying their car? And how much would this second exhaust inhibit its performance? I'm sure the answer to both of these questions is negligible at most.
      If someone wanted a performance increase, the first thing to do would be to get rid of the second muffler.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    22. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      14,290
      05-09-2012 09:07 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      So, you do agree with me then. All set ups with single catback and dual mufflers are pointless, including your Golf's.
      My Golf makes a cool farting sound. Your BMW only emits smug.

      If someone wanted a performance increase, the first thing to do would be to get rid of the second muffler.
      At the cost of the 2 extra hp the SE model has. Sure replace your SE muffler with a stock muffler from the GLS and reduce the cars performance!
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    23. Member
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      679
      05-09-2012 09:29 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      If someone wanted a performance increase, the first thing to do would be to get rid of the second muffler.
      And what would the gains be? My car is set up the same and running a single exhaust doesn't provide any benefits. My car has a V6 if that makes any difference.

    24. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      33,054
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-09-2012 09:34 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      My Golf makes a cool farting sound. Your BMW only emits smug.
      Wrong. My BMW converts petrol into noise.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    25. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      33,054
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-09-2012 09:36 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by invisiblewar View Post
      And what would the gains be? My car is set up the same and running a single exhaust doesn't provide any benefits. My car has a V6 if that makes any difference.
      Mufflers by nature restrict flow of exhaust gases. Adding an extra box makes things even worse.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •