Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 28 of 28

    Thread: And Now For Something Different (Soldiers reunion with dog he took bullet for)

    1. Member Notch__Johnson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2002
      Location
      SoCal SD
      Posts
      4,071
      Vehicles
      2011 Kia Optima
      05-09-2012 05:35 PM #1
      I figured we could have a nice story to go with our usual blasphemy around here


      Dogs are often noted as heroes in the news, but in this case, army dog handler Sgt. Aaron Yoder took a bullet for his black lab, Bart, during a gun fight in Southern Afghanistan last month. The Taliban has begun to target these soldier dogs because of their amazing bomb-sniffing skills in an attempt to neutralize the effectiveness of IED detection teams.

      Soldiers have been known to wrap their Kevlar-covered bodies around the dogs to protect these valuable team members. Yoder was shot in the leg, but was successful in protecting Bart from injury. Sgt. Yoder has been transported to Texas, where he has undergone six surgeries. Bart and Aaron were reunited on May 3rd.
      http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/05/t...-dog-he-saved/
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      Plus, if it gets cold, you can close the door and start the car up. It'll heat the place up in no time to help you sleep.
      Team 7-Up Keepin It Fresh! [llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll] - Clever Response Loading.... Please wait.

    2. Member rsj0714's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Greensboro, NC
      Posts
      3,215
      Vehicles
      2003 Nissan Maxima 3.5 6-Speed. 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      05-09-2012 05:37 PM #2
      I wonder if he'll get to keep the dog. Who the **** targets a dog? They seriously don't give a **** about animals in Afghanistan, especially dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

    3. 05-09-2012 05:40 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      I wonder if he'll get to keep the dog. Who the **** targets a dog? They seriously don't give a **** about animals in Afghanistan, especially dogs.
      lol with all the messed up **** going on in 'stan you're surprised about violence against dogs? i do feel slightly bad for the dog since he got shot and didn't even have a choice of going there...

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2009
      Location
      Lewiston, Maine
      Posts
      4,543
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      05-09-2012 05:42 PM #4
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

      I always thought this was sad and funny. It forced German soldiers to shoot the dogs, too

      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

    5. Member rsj0714's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Greensboro, NC
      Posts
      3,215
      Vehicles
      2003 Nissan Maxima 3.5 6-Speed. 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      05-09-2012 05:42 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by az__quattro View Post
      lol with all the messed up **** going on in 'stan you're surprised about violence against dogs? i do feel slightly bad for the dog since he got shot and didn't even have a choice of going there...
      Well personally I wouldn't target a dog unless I was being attacked, but I'm no Afghani so **** that hot smelly place.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

    6. Member rsj0714's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Greensboro, NC
      Posts
      3,215
      Vehicles
      2003 Nissan Maxima 3.5 6-Speed. 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      05-09-2012 05:43 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

      I always thought this was sad and funny. It forced German soldiers to shoot the dogs, too
      It also backfired when the dogs decided to return to their owners.

      It turned out to not be such a great idea.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

    7. Member Notch__Johnson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2002
      Location
      SoCal SD
      Posts
      4,071
      Vehicles
      2011 Kia Optima
      05-09-2012 05:44 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      I wonder if he'll get to keep the dog. Who the **** targets a dog? They seriously don't give a **** about animals in Afghanistan, especially dogs.
      The Taliban has begun to target these soldier dogs because of their amazing bomb-sniffing skills in an attempt to neutralize the effectiveness of IED detection teams.
      Makes sense to take out the dogs since theyre so good at detecting IED's
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      Plus, if it gets cold, you can close the door and start the car up. It'll heat the place up in no time to help you sleep.
      Team 7-Up Keepin It Fresh! [llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll] - Clever Response Loading.... Please wait.

    8. Member FigureFive's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 21st, 2003
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      2,478
      Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      05-09-2012 05:49 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Notch__Johnson View Post
      The Taliban has begun to target these soldier dogs because of their amazing bomb-sniffing skills in an attempt to neutralize the effectiveness of IED detection teams.
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      Who the **** targets a dog? They seriously don't give a **** about animals in Afghanistan, especially dogs.
      They aren't targeting a dog, they are targeting a a bomb detection machine that happens to be a dog. It makes sense from their perspective to do so.

      Quote Originally Posted by Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman
      I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.

    9. Member ABAcabby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2003
      Location
      Issaquah, WA
      Posts
      566
      Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit 1.6l diesel
      05-09-2012 05:50 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      It also backfired when the dogs decided to return to their owners.

      It turned out to not be such a great idea.
      maybe they should have just pulled a string to detonate

    10. 05-09-2012 05:57 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      Well personally I wouldn't target a dog unless I was being attacked, but I'm no Afghani so **** that hot smelly place.
      if you're ok to kill humans for your cause, why stop at dogs? makes no sense.

      oh, how i wish our dumb **** politicians would decide to **** that hot smelly place, and all the other ones and stay out.

    11. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,375
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-09-2012 07:12 PM #11
      Don't they eat dog in Afghanistan?
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    12. Member psbahra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 31st, 2008
      Location
      GTA
      Posts
      693
      05-09-2012 07:15 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      Don't they eat dog in Afghanistan?
      Negative. Dogs are not favoured animals in Islamic culture.

    13. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,375
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-09-2012 07:17 PM #13
      That makes it worse. If it was like us killing a cow ... okay maybe. Killing a dog is like killing a child. I know my dog is smarter than some 1st graders.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    14. Member rsj0714's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Greensboro, NC
      Posts
      3,215
      Vehicles
      2003 Nissan Maxima 3.5 6-Speed. 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      05-09-2012 07:29 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      That makes it worse. If it was like us killing a cow ... okay maybe. Killing a dog is like killing a child. I know my dog is smarter than some 1st graders.
      As much as I love dogs most of them are dumb as hell.

      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

    15. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,375
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-09-2012 07:33 PM #15


      My dog knows at least 10 different toys and she knows a lot of words. It's creepy man.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2006
      Location
      Eindhoven, Netherlands
      Posts
      112
      Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      05-10-2012 07:30 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      That makes it worse. If it was like us killing a cow ... okay maybe. Killing a dog is like killing a child. I know my dog is smarter than some 1st graders.
      While I can't agree that a dog is equivalent to a human child (dogs can't even recognize themselves in a mirror), nevertheless if a dog or child is actively participating in a war then he should be expected to be in danger of getting shot.

      That said...assuming that it's an evil act to kill a dog/child, who is to blame here? The Afghani for shooting him, or the American for putting him there in the first place? Would you bring your child to fight alongside you in a war?
      Last edited by Lsos2; 05-10-2012 at 07:38 AM.

    17. Member derock85z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2009
      Location
      Kendallville, In
      Posts
      404
      Vehicles
      85 Z28, 90 Jetta GLI, 2001.5 Passat wagon
      05-10-2012 08:54 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Lsos2 View Post
      While I can't agree that a dog is equivalent to a human child (dogs can't even recognize themselves in a mirror), nevertheless if a dog or child is actively participating in a war then he should be expected to be in danger of getting shot.

      That said...assuming that it's an evil act to kill a dog/child, who is to blame here? The Afghani for shooting him, or the American for putting him there in the first place? Would you bring your child to fight alongside you in a war?

      ..... Only in OT do we have this logic. The dog is supplied by the military, the Sgt is his handler. Their whole job is to sniff out IED's in order to protect caravans of our soldiers. They get targeted by the Taliban first, he protected his dog that is the one sniffing out IED's. we aren't calling into question the motives. he didn't save the dog just because he was attached to his dog, He did it so the dog was still alive to do his job, detect a deadly device we can't.

      As a dog lover (and an Army Brat) I'm glad to see a reunion like this, you don't see too many of them turn out ok. No matter what purpose, your dog is your buddy and in a situation like that I'd be happy as can be to have my buddy there.
      "Apply liberal amount of VW specialty tool 361 "BFH" to Motronic fuel block and ecu until motor swap is deemed necessary"

    18. Member 20thAna3282's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2005
      Location
      Methuen, MA
      Posts
      2,465
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Gti 20th AE
      05-10-2012 08:56 AM #18
      Show me soldiers returning to family and I smile and think it's nice.

      Throw a dog in there whining and jumping with excitement and I blubber like a baby.
      -Matt

    19. 05-10-2012 09:01 AM #19

    20. Member DIAF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2005
      Posts
      6,106
      Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      05-10-2012 09:46 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thAna3282 View Post
      Show me soldiers returning to family and I smile and think it's nice.

      Throw a dog in there whining and jumping with excitement and I blubber like a baby.
      This. :lol:

    21. Member Notch__Johnson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2002
      Location
      SoCal SD
      Posts
      4,071
      Vehicles
      2011 Kia Optima
      05-10-2012 10:14 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thAna3282 View Post
      Show me soldiers returning to family and I smile and think it's nice.

      Throw a dog in there whining and jumping with excitement and I blubber like a baby.
      Me too

      I like this one because there are TWO and theyre weiner dogs and weiner dogs rock!





      Last edited by Notch__Johnson; 05-10-2012 at 11:13 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      Plus, if it gets cold, you can close the door and start the car up. It'll heat the place up in no time to help you sleep.
      Team 7-Up Keepin It Fresh! [llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll] - Clever Response Loading.... Please wait.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2006
      Location
      Eindhoven, Netherlands
      Posts
      112
      Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      05-10-2012 01:06 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by derock85z View Post
      ..... Only in OT do we have this logic. The dog is supplied by the military, the Sgt is his handler. Their whole job is to sniff out IED's in order to protect caravans of our soldiers. They get targeted by the Taliban first, he protected his dog that is the one sniffing out IED's. we aren't calling into question the motives. he didn't save the dog just because he was attached to his dog, He did it so the dog was still alive to do his job, detect a deadly device we can't.
      Perhaps you didn't read the posts where people couldn't understand why someone would target a dog, and even went as far as comparing them to children? That's the posts I was responding to, and I wrote nothing contrary to what you wrote.

    23. Member JimmyD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,005
      05-10-2012 01:16 PM #23
      This video is so great... the dog can't contain his joy at the sight of his owner returning home from Afghanistan.

      Quote Originally Posted by Kdaisy84 on YouTube
      Published on Mar 22, 2012 by Kdaisy84

      To say that our boxer, Chuck, was excited to see him come home is an understatement. (And if you're wondering why it says "again" it is because we went through this a year ago as well. That video is also posted.)


    24. Member WaWaMKVDub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2007
      Location
      Bel Air, MD
      Posts
      8,481
      Vehicles
      Mk6 JSW
      05-10-2012 03:46 PM #24
      Man I love dogs. I would have done the same thing in that situation. Not only because its a dog, but its another soldier. Wish I would have known about this MOS when I joined haha. Would have been a cool experience.
      Quote Originally Posted by offfthaheeezay View Post
      Rims are for bicycles and Pontiacs.
      06 Gti (gone) 95 Golf City (gone) 00 Cabby (gone) Mk2 Gti (gone) Mk4 Gti (gone) Mk2 Jetta (gone) Mk2 Golf (gone) E32 735I (gone) Mk6 JSW (current)

      I do installs in the MD/PA area. (Air ride, coilovers, etc.) Hit me up!

    25. Member derock85z's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2009
      Location
      Kendallville, In
      Posts
      404
      Vehicles
      85 Z28, 90 Jetta GLI, 2001.5 Passat wagon
      05-10-2012 10:54 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Lsos2 View Post
      Perhaps you didn't read the posts where people couldn't understand why someone would target a dog, and even went as far as comparing them to children? That's the posts I was responding to, and I wrote nothing contrary to what you wrote.
      Perhaps you didn't read your own post then... What's the bit about who's to blame? That's the one that caught me.
      "Apply liberal amount of VW specialty tool 361 "BFH" to Motronic fuel block and ecu until motor swap is deemed necessary"

    26. Senior Member VarianceVQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2005
      Location
      Fancy, Connecticut
      Posts
      20,170
      Vehicles
      1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      05-10-2012 11:01 PM #26
      How I know I'm not a dog person: Taking a bullet for a dog makes no damned sense to me.
      Esi ϟ Disi

    27. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,075
      Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE
      05-11-2012 12:03 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      How I know I'm not a dog person: Taking a bullet for a dog makes no damned sense to me.
      My dog is a member of my family. He gets every protection any person in my family would get...
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

    28. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2006
      Location
      Eindhoven, Netherlands
      Posts
      112
      Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      05-11-2012 02:42 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by derock85z View Post
      Perhaps you didn't read your own post then... What's the bit about who's to blame? That's the one that caught me.
      Again I was responding to the posts that were saying how wrong it is to kill dogs.

      ASSUMING that the above is correct (which I'm not saying it is...it's obviously not as black and white as that) who is to blame for the dog getting shot in this situation? The Taliban, for defending themselves, or the American, for bringing a dog into a war zone?

      Let me reiterate that in this particular scenario in this particular war, I personally don't think anybody is wrong. They are all just doing the standard things that anybody would do in a war.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •