Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: And Now For Something Different (Soldiers reunion with dog he took bullet for)

Vehicles
      2011 Kia Optima
      05-09-2012 05:35 PM #1
      I figured we could have a nice story to go with our usual blasphemy around here

Dogs are often noted as heroes in the news, but in this case, army dog handler Sgt. Aaron Yoder took a bullet for his black lab, Bart, during a gun fight in Southern Afghanistan last month. The Taliban has begun to target these soldier dogs because of their amazing bomb-sniffing skills in an attempt to neutralize the effectiveness of IED detection teams.

Soldiers have been known to wrap their Kevlar-covered bodies around the dogs to protect these valuable team members. Yoder was shot in the leg, but was successful in protecting Bart from injury. Sgt. Yoder has been transported to Texas, where he has undergone six surgeries. Bart and Aaron were reunited on May 3rd.
      http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/05/t...-dog-he-saved/
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      Plus, if it gets cold, you can close the door and start the car up. It'll heat the place up in no time to help you sleep.
      Team 7-Up Keepin It Fresh! [llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll] - Clever Response Loading.... Please wait.

Vehicles
      2003 Nissan Maxima 3.5 6-Speed. 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      05-09-2012 05:37 PM #2
      I wonder if he'll get to keep the dog. Who the **** targets a dog? They seriously don't give a **** about animals in Afghanistan, especially dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

3. 05-09-2012 05:40 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      I wonder if he'll get to keep the dog. Who the **** targets a dog? They seriously don't give a **** about animals in Afghanistan, especially dogs.
      lol with all the messed up **** going on in 'stan you're surprised about violence against dogs? i do feel slightly bad for the dog since he got shot and didn't even have a choice of going there...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      05-09-2012 05:42 PM #4
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

I always thought this was sad and funny. It forced German soldiers to shoot the dogs, too

Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 05:42 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by az__quattro View Post
      lol with all the messed up **** going on in 'stan you're surprised about violence against dogs? i do feel slightly bad for the dog since he got shot and didn't even have a choice of going there...
      Well personally I wouldn't target a dog unless I was being attacked, but I'm no Afghani so **** that hot smelly place.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 05:43 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

I always thought this was sad and funny. It forced German soldiers to shoot the dogs, too
      It also backfired when the dogs decided to return to their owners.

It turned out to not be such a great idea.

Vehicles
      2011 Kia Optima
      05-09-2012 05:44 PM #7
      The Taliban has begun to target these soldier dogs because of their amazing bomb-sniffing skills in an attempt to neutralize the effectiveness of IED detection teams.
      Makes sense to take out the dogs since theyre so good at detecting IED's
      Plus, if it gets cold, you can close the door and start the car up. It'll heat the place up in no time to help you sleep.
      Team 7-Up Keepin It Fresh! [llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll] - Clever Response Loading.... Please wait.

Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      05-09-2012 05:49 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Notch__Johnson View Post
      The Taliban has begun to target these soldier dogs because of their amazing bomb-sniffing skills in an attempt to neutralize the effectiveness of IED detection teams.
      Who the **** targets a dog? They seriously don't give a **** about animals in Afghanistan, especially dogs.
      They aren't targeting a dog, they are targeting a a bomb detection machine that happens to be a dog. It makes sense from their perspective to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman
      I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit 1.6l diesel
      05-09-2012 05:50 PM #9
      It also backfired when the dogs decided to return to their owners.

It turned out to not be such a great idea.
      maybe they should have just pulled a string to detonate

10. 05-09-2012 05:57 PM #10
      Well personally I wouldn't target a dog unless I was being attacked, but I'm no Afghani so **** that hot smelly place.
      if you're ok to kill humans for your cause, why stop at dogs? makes no sense.

oh, how i wish our dumb **** politicians would decide to **** that hot smelly place, and all the other ones and stay out.

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-09-2012 07:12 PM #11
      Don't they eat dog in Afghanistan?
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

05-09-2012 07:15 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      Don't they eat dog in Afghanistan?
      Negative. Dogs are not favoured animals in Islamic culture.

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-09-2012 07:17 PM #13
      That makes it worse. If it was like us killing a cow ... okay maybe. Killing a dog is like killing a child. I know my dog is smarter than some 1st graders.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 07:29 PM #14
      That makes it worse. If it was like us killing a cow ... okay maybe. Killing a dog is like killing a child. I know my dog is smarter than some 1st graders.
      As much as I love dogs most of them are dumb as hell.

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-09-2012 07:33 PM #15

My dog knows at least 10 different toys and she knows a lot of words. It's creepy man.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      05-10-2012 07:30 AM #16
      While I can't agree that a dog is equivalent to a human child (dogs can't even recognize themselves in a mirror), nevertheless if a dog or child is actively participating in a war then he should be expected to be in danger of getting shot.

That said...assuming that it's an evil act to kill a dog/child, who is to blame here? The Afghani for shooting him, or the American for putting him there in the first place? Would you bring your child to fight alongside you in a war?
      Last edited by Lsos2; 05-10-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Vehicles
      85 Z28, 90 Jetta GLI, 2001.5 Passat wagon
      05-10-2012 08:54 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Lsos2 View Post
      While I can't agree that a dog is equivalent to a human child (dogs can't even recognize themselves in a mirror), nevertheless if a dog or child is actively participating in a war then he should be expected to be in danger of getting shot.

That said...assuming that it's an evil act to kill a dog/child, who is to blame here? The Afghani for shooting him, or the American for putting him there in the first place? Would you bring your child to fight alongside you in a war?

..... Only in OT do we have this logic. The dog is supplied by the military, the Sgt is his handler. Their whole job is to sniff out IED's in order to protect caravans of our soldiers. They get targeted by the Taliban first, he protected his dog that is the one sniffing out IED's. we aren't calling into question the motives. he didn't save the dog just because he was attached to his dog, He did it so the dog was still alive to do his job, detect a deadly device we can't.

As a dog lover (and an Army Brat) I'm glad to see a reunion like this, you don't see too many of them turn out ok. No matter what purpose, your dog is your buddy and in a situation like that I'd be happy as can be to have my buddy there.
      "Apply liberal amount of VW specialty tool 361 "BFH" to Motronic fuel block and ecu until motor swap is deemed necessary"

Vehicles
      2003 VW Gti 20th AE
      05-10-2012 08:56 AM #18
      Show me soldiers returning to family and I smile and think it's nice.

Throw a dog in there whining and jumping with excitement and I blubber like a baby.
      -Matt

19. 05-10-2012 09:01 AM #19

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      05-10-2012 09:46 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thAna3282 View Post

Throw a dog in there whining and jumping with excitement and I blubber like a baby.
      This. :lol:

Vehicles
      2011 Kia Optima
      05-10-2012 10:14 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thAna3282 View Post

Me too

I like this one because there are TWO and theyre weiner dogs and weiner dogs rock!

Last edited by Notch__Johnson; 05-10-2012 at 11:13 AM.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      05-10-2012 01:06 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by derock85z View Post
      ..... Only in OT do we have this logic. The dog is supplied by the military, the Sgt is his handler. Their whole job is to sniff out IED's in order to protect caravans of our soldiers. They get targeted by the Taliban first, he protected his dog that is the one sniffing out IED's. we aren't calling into question the motives. he didn't save the dog just because he was attached to his dog, He did it so the dog was still alive to do his job, detect a deadly device we can't.
      Perhaps you didn't read the posts where people couldn't understand why someone would target a dog, and even went as far as comparing them to children? That's the posts I was responding to, and I wrote nothing contrary to what you wrote.

05-10-2012 01:16 PM #23
      This video is so great... the dog can't contain his joy at the sight of his owner returning home from Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdaisy84 on YouTube
      Published on Mar 22, 2012 by Kdaisy84

To say that our boxer, Chuck, was excited to see him come home is an understatement. (And if you're wondering why it says "again" it is because we went through this a year ago as well. That video is also posted.)

Vehicles
      Mk6 JSW
      05-10-2012 03:46 PM #24
      Man I love dogs. I would have done the same thing in that situation. Not only because its a dog, but its another soldier. Wish I would have known about this MOS when I joined haha. Would have been a cool experience.
      Quote Originally Posted by offfthaheeezay View Post
      Rims are for bicycles and Pontiacs.
      06 Gti (gone) 95 Golf City (gone) 00 Cabby (gone) Mk2 Gti (gone) Mk4 Gti (gone) Mk2 Jetta (gone) Mk2 Golf (gone) E32 735I (gone) Mk6 JSW (current)

I do installs in the MD/PA area. (Air ride, coilovers, etc.) Hit me up!

Vehicles
      85 Z28, 90 Jetta GLI, 2001.5 Passat wagon
      05-10-2012 10:54 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Lsos2 View Post
      Perhaps you didn't read the posts where people couldn't understand why someone would target a dog, and even went as far as comparing them to children? That's the posts I was responding to, and I wrote nothing contrary to what you wrote.
      Perhaps you didn't read your own post then... What's the bit about who's to blame? That's the one that caught me.
      "Apply liberal amount of VW specialty tool 361 "BFH" to Motronic fuel block and ecu until motor swap is deemed necessary"

Vehicles
      1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      05-10-2012 11:01 PM #26
      How I know I'm not a dog person: Taking a bullet for a dog makes no damned sense to me.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE
      05-11-2012 12:03 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      How I know I'm not a dog person: Taking a bullet for a dog makes no damned sense to me.
      My dog is a member of my family. He gets every protection any person in my family would get...
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      05-11-2012 02:42 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by derock85z View Post
      Perhaps you didn't read your own post then... What's the bit about who's to blame? That's the one that caught me.
      Again I was responding to the posts that were saying how wrong it is to kill dogs.

ASSUMING that the above is correct (which I'm not saying it is...it's obviously not as black and white as that) who is to blame for the dog getting shot in this situation? The Taliban, for defending themselves, or the American, for bringing a dog into a war zone?

Let me reiterate that in this particular scenario in this particular war, I personally don't think anybody is wrong. They are all just doing the standard things that anybody would do in a war.