Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: sad, lonely voice command button.

1. 05-09-2012 08:36 PM #1
      it just sits there.

i have an android phone. oops. bye-bye voice dialing. (yes i can say "call number" and rattle off each digit, but give me a break)

vw pulled the nav commands.

oh sure, i can press the button.

"main menu"

and then i can say "help"

and it will tell me about 2 things it can do.

music? sounds interesting...

"music"

no player connected. oh... it's not for the... MUSIC... in my car stereo... that would be too... intuitive.

it's for your stupid i-pod they assume you own.

(sigh)

so... the voice command button just sits there. oh look, i have a hazard button... bet that will get more presses now.

2. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      05-10-2012 08:27 AM #2
      I use mine to voice dial on phone calls and it works just fine.

05-10-2012 09:17 AM #3
      Me too. It works perfect for me. "Call Joe Blow on Mobile".

-J
      2012 Passat TDI SE DSG. 60,000 miles. LED tails, VCDS tweaks (wipers, alarm, cluster)
      1999 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 296,000 miles. RCIII, BV49, S520, Knois.
      1991 Mercedes 350SDL. 225,000 miles, 60k on the replacement motor
      1991 Jetta GL ECOdiesel. 429,000 miles. Totaled
      1992 Jetta GL ECOdiesel. 150,000 miles. Sold.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      05-10-2012 10:27 AM #4
      I got the firmware update last week, but I still have all my commands (nav, radio, telephone, MDI). I don't really use the voice calling though, but I have an android and the last time I used it (before the update) it worked, just usually got the names wrong.

Oh, and to access the radio, you have to say "Radio" or "Media". That works for me.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      05-10-2012 10:28 AM #5
      Galaxy Nexus connected via bluetooth working fine here, too. "call Jane Smith at home" works very well.

Bought a less expensive usb adapter from ebay to replace the ipod cord too, in case I want to charge the phone or play media from the device.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      05-10-2012 10:30 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by writeb View Post
      Bought a less expensive usb adapter from ebay to replace the ipod cord too, in case I want to charge the phone or play media from the device.
      You don't use the MDI? That charges the iPod while it's playing.
      ||||||||||||||

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta GLI-F sold, 2012 Passat SEL VR6
      05-10-2012 10:53 AM #7
      i have it all.... do I use it? never!!!! its much quicker to just go to the phone....

8. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2012 10:54 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post
      You don't use the MDI? That charges the iPod while it's playing.
      Sorry for the confusion, I use a six inch mdi to usb cable adapter on my Galaxy Nexus, precisely because I don't use an ipod/iPhone :-)
      The Peoples Car inexplicably didn't provide a dealer option to choose non Apple when purchasing, so I went third party. Was much easier to go mdi to regular usb female (versus mdi to micro usb), this way, I can use my phones usb cord in the car. I believe I can now also connect thumb drives to it as well (haven't tested this yet, though).

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      05-10-2012 03:50 PM #9
      Sorry for the confusion, I use a six inch mdi to usb cable adapter on my Galaxy Nexus, precisely because I don't use an ipod/iPhone :-)
      The Peoples Car inexplicably didn't provide a dealer option to choose non Apple when purchasing, so I went third party. Was much easier to go mdi to regular usb female (versus mdi to micro usb), this way, I can use my phones usb cord in the car. I believe I can now also connect thumb drives to it as well (haven't tested this yet, though).
      Oh ok, that makes sense. Honestly, I thought VW should have included a kit with the different MDI cables, instead of assuming people only use apple products. Or at least offer the option at no-charge during the buying process.
      ||||||||||||||

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat V6 SEL Prem/Nav; 2012 Tiguan SEL Prem/Nav
      05-11-2012 12:27 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by teknokrat View Post
      it just sits there.

i have an android phone. oops. bye-bye voice dialing. (yes i can say "call number" and rattle off each digit, but give me a break)

vw pulled the nav commands.

oh sure, i can press the button.

"main menu"

and then i can say "help"

and it will tell me about 2 things it can do.

music? sounds interesting...

"music"

no player connected. oh... it's not for the... MUSIC... in my car stereo... that would be too... intuitive.

it's for your stupid i-pod they assume you own.

(sigh)

so... the voice command button just sits there. oh look, i have a hazard button... bet that will get more presses now.
      Voice button on steering wheel or star button on radio?

There are ways to have both... Can you post a VCDS autoscan? I will look and tell you where... Either radio or telephony or both. The long code helper won't show this all the way... But there are other forums that helped me change the operation on my 2012 Tig (no voice for nav...until I was done). My 2012 passat, was early build before the 'rolling change'. And I did not lose voice nav phone or music control with te firmware upgrade.
      Last edited by pbafire; 05-11-2012 at 12:53 AM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-11-2012 11:51 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by pbafire View Post
      Voice button on steering wheel or star button on radio?

There are ways to have both... Can you post a VCDS autoscan? I will look and tell you where... Either radio or telephony or both. The long code helper won't show this all the way... But there are other forums that helped me change the operation on my 2012 Tig (no voice for nav...until I was done). My 2012 passat, was early build before the 'rolling change'. And I did not lose voice nav phone or music control with te firmware upgrade.

I *do* find it annoying when you get caught up in that voice command menu and you just want to quickly exit. (And yes, saying "music" is definitely an annoying issue when you want to just exit back to the radio). Me & the car often have disagreements with us talking over one another when I just want it to shut up and play the radio.

Is there a button to press to just kill the mode immediately?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE Roof/Nav/18s
      05-11-2012 01:05 PM #12
      I *do* find it annoying when you get caught up in that voice command menu and you just want to quickly exit. (And yes, saying "music" is definitely an annoying issue when you want to just exit back to the radio). Me & the car often have disagreements with us talking over one another when I just want it to shut up and play the radio.

Is there a button to press to just kill the mode immediately?
      I usually just say "Cancel" or have to hit the button again and then say "Cancel" and it shuts up quickly.
      Last edited by mtbsteve; 05-11-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: or

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      05-11-2012 02:10 PM #13
      Double click
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

14. 05-14-2012 10:39 AM #14
      Oh, and to access the radio, you have to say "Radio" or "Media". That works for me.
      Dang: Was wanting this^^ to work, but not in my car.

I too just sit there and look at the voice command button wishing it controlled more "in-car" features rather than mainly the phone.

Blah, all good, love my car.
      2012 Passat
      2003 VW 1.8T GTi: 3" DP, 2.5" CB, N75J, OEM AirBox, Drop-in High Flow, EIP Dogbone, Forge TIP, Vented Fender liner, Forge 008, Metal H2O Impeller.
      Quote Originally Posted by Strikelin View Post
      ...You get about the same performance gains from a good dump before driving due to the weight loss then you do from a CAI...

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      05-14-2012 11:47 AM #15
      Then I guess I'm lucky to have an early built car then. It's a really nice feature to have, when you and the system can understand each other.
      ||||||||||||||

Vehicles
      2013 CC 6MT
      05-14-2012 01:57 PM #16
      Then I guess I'm lucky to have an early built car then. It's a really nice feature to have, when you and the system can understand each other.

Yeah my system works great;

Display off, Dial number, Mix mode on, Dial (name), cancel, and even with the update i still have nav commands

I actually find it quicker now that the update has been done.