Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Just bought a 2002 VW Passat GLS

1. 05-09-2012 10:57 PM #1
      After a 7-year absence from having a VW, I just bought a used 2002 VW Passat GLS (Auto).
      Was hoping some of you could share your stories of the same year and trim I have. I take ownership in 2 days, it is Black w/ Black Leather, Moon Roof, CD Monsoon Stereo. 104K miles.
      I was just reading some of the stats on the car and was surprised it had 15in tires and 170HP Engine. If I recall my 2002 Jetta had 17in tires and was like 180-190 HP. Anyways, some questions I have is this:

- What were some of the options for the same model I have? Trying to compare what options I have from what was out there.
      - Can you put bigger tires on these Passats without changing the wheels? I am guessing not.
      - What is the preferred tire for this Passat? What is the stock tire for this car..?
      - What would be a good purchase price for my Passat the way I described it above?
      - Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I havent been here in a while - are we still chipping VWs these days ? :-) If so - what is the preferred chip of choice and what enhancements will it get me?

I am sure I will think of more questions along the way, but there's a few for you.

I look forward to reading your replies - Glad to be back to VW!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 passat GL
      05-10-2012 10:29 AM #2
      Hello sir,

for options, the GLS is fully loaded, meaning you have every cosmetic option avaliable , and probably every other option aswell (depending on whether its awd or just fwd).

For tires, thats all personal preference, I only use my stock rims as winters and therefore use normal size winter tires (195/65/15 i believe).

Purchase price, you have fairly low km's for the year, and depending on the condition I'd estimate a good purchase price would be 3500-4500 (taking into account that its 10 years old, and I devalue it because its auto, personal preference again).

Chip tuning is still very much alive, especially if you have a 1.8T, but again the company choice is up to you there are plenty of companies out there and they all offer roughly the same results for about the same price.

Your best bet there is to try and find a local vendor who can chiptune your car locally, if not any choice is good, some are: Unitronic, GIAC, APR, eurodyne etc.

Welcome back

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      05-10-2012 07:45 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DB_VW View Post
      Hello sir,

for options, the GLS is fully loaded, meaning you have every cosmetic option avaliable , and probably every other option aswell (depending on whether its awd or just fwd).
      Actually, no. You're thinking of the GLX. The GLS is the intermediate model, and may have any mix of options. Except, I believe, the power seats. I think they were GLX only.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 passat GL
      05-10-2012 09:32 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
      Actually, no. You're thinking of the GLX. The GLS is the intermediate model, and may have any mix of options. Except, I believe, the power seats. I think they were GLX only.
      Your right! I never even thought of the glx.