VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 second cars are fast

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-10-2012 03:16 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by hyperformancevw View Post
      Some people don't understand how fast an 8 or even 9 second car is. There is a lot more suspension, chassis, and drive train tuning than you realize. Its not like you can take a bone stock mustang, bolt on some parts and run 8's all day.

And no it does not take a lot of money to bracket race, just a dialed in car and some skill/practice. It only takes a lot of money to run heads up classes or if you want to go really fast.

EDIT: I LOVE that track
      That being said, come to the DSM Shootout here in Norwalk, OH every year and you'll see all the 8-9 second $3000 DSMs ... people don't realize how stupid cheap an automatic transmission build 4G63 is ...

Vehicles
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      05-10-2012 03:36 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      I would very much enjoy seeing you try to pilot the Mustang in the OP down the track for a 10 second pass without winding up in the wall.
      I'm not saying I could do it I was just saying when it comes to drag racing it still is more car than driver. Take away a pedal and its even less driver. I never said it was easy but if you want to go fast you have to spend more money and practice your take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post

Have you even been to a track...
      Yes, my brother-in-law has a camaro that runs in the 10's.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperformancevw View Post
      Some people don't understand how fast an 8 or even 9 second car is. There is a lot more suspension, chassis, and drive train tuning than you realize. Its not like you can take a bone stock mustang, bolt on some parts and run 8's all day.

And no it does not take a lot of money to bracket race, just a dialed in car and some skill/practice. It only takes a lot of money to run heads up classes or if you want to go really fast.

EDIT: I LOVE that track
      This is basically what I was saying. If you give two people those bone stock mustangs with one driver that is good with a stick and another who is not it will come down to the driver. If both cars are automatics the race should be closer until some money is spend.

I never intended to imply no skill is required to launch an 8 second car, I was just replying to the OP's pointing out that it was an automatic.

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      05-10-2012 03:38 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by R32R1 View Post
      In the end, it's still a mustang
      Just like no matter what ever's done to your Golf, that's all it will ever be.
      A known "hiveminder".

Vehicles
      1988 Scirocco 16v, 1992 S4
      05-10-2012 03:44 PM #54
      I don't give a rats ass about drag racing (see my sig), but I am a stickler for stats.
      Is gas that's $3.999 a gallon $3 gas?
      Is a $24.99 shirt at the store a $24 shirt?

Just because it squeaks in at BARELY under whatever the spec is (dollars, time, etc), doesn't make it so. Mathematically, yes, a 8.99 second run could be considered an '8 second car', but in reality, there is a BIG difference between an 8 second car and a 9 second car.
      The proper terminology, in my mind, is that the Mustang runs in the 8s, but it isn't an 8 second car.
      Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers.
      www.madisonautocross.com
      www.scirocco.org

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      05-10-2012 03:44 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      Just like no matter what ever's done to your Golf, that's all it will ever be.
      ...too bad it's not a golf
      The Build Thread CTS Turbo SoCalStance Shop

Window Tinter (RI Area)- #meatheadwindowtinting

RIP Alexi

6. 05-10-2012 03:47 PM #56

Are you claiming the R32 is not a golf?

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 03:50 PM #57
      Great, another one of "those guys".
      A known "hiveminder".

8. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      05-10-2012 03:51 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      I'm not saying I could do it I was just saying when it comes to drag racing it still is more car than driver. Take away a pedal and its even less driver. I never said it was easy but if you want to go fast you have to spend more money and practice your take off.
      Are you aware that in most drag setups with automatic transmissions, the gear changes are controlled by the driver? Just because there's 2 pedals, doesn't mean the driver doesn't control the shift points. Sure there's a giant dummy light, but still. I've only ever run 11s, and even that isn't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bronson75 View Post
      I don't give a rats ass about drag racing
      Convenient, cause drag racing doesn't give a rat's ass about your opinion either.
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta TDi, BMW S1000R, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Brodozed Tacoma
      05-10-2012 03:52 PM #59
      The proper terminology, in my mind, is that the Mustang runs in the 8s, but it isn't an 8 second car.

I think you just gave me an aneurysm.
      DCI

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      05-10-2012 03:53 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post

Are you claiming the R32 is not a golf?
      It's not actually. The model is an R32. My registration says it's an R32, therefore it's an R32. It's a golf platform

RIP Alexi

Vehicles
      corrado 3ltr
      05-10-2012 03:53 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post

8 second 6 speed supra

12. 05-10-2012 03:56 PM #62
      It's not actually. The model is an R32. My registration says it's an R32, therefore it's an R32. It's a golf platform

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-10-2012 03:56 PM #63
      I don't give a rats ass about drag racing (see my sig), but I am a stickler for stats.

Just because it squeaks in at BARELY under whatever the spec is (dollars, time, etc), doesn't make it so. Mathematically, yes, a 8.99 second run could be considered an '8 second car', but in reality, there is a BIG difference between an 8 second car and a 9 second car.
      + 100000

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 03:57 PM #64
      And my GTIs all said GTI on the titles, but they were Golfs. At least try and change the douchey nature of R32 ownership instead of furthering it.

Honestly, something about owning one of those turns 99.9% of you guys into total elitests. Elitests that drive VW Golfs. If only any of you realized the sheer retardation in that fact.
      A known "hiveminder".

15. Banned
      05-10-2012 03:57 PM #65
      Wait a minute, i may be new here... but your r32 is better than a 5.0?

16. Banned
      05-10-2012 03:57 PM #66
      Oh boy I hope you're sarcastic.

17. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      05-10-2012 03:58 PM #67

Actually you just made the point for the people that call an 8.99 an 8 second pass.

Why is it 3.99 and not 4.00 for that gas? So that you go ooh its only 3 bucks.

Why is that shirt 24.99 not 25.00 so you go ooh its only 24 bucks.

In a timed event of any kind you don't round up because you did NOT go that full time yet.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-10-2012 03:58 PM #68

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      05-10-2012 04:00 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      And my GTIs all said GTI on the titles, but they were Golfs. At least try and change the douchey nature of R32 ownership instead of furthering it.

Honestly, something about owning one of those turns 99.9% of you guys into total elitests. Elitests that drive VW Golfs. If only any of you realized the sheer retardation in that fact.
      haha I'm just f*cking with you...if you ever saw my R related posts, I despise stock R32s because people talk them up to being the best cars ever.

RIP Alexi

05-10-2012 04:00 PM #70
      Hahahahahahahahaha.

So the "Golf R" isn't a Golf then, it's just an "R," amirite? Someone should tell VW!!!

Then what, good sir, do you classify as "an 8 second car?" One that runs 8.00?
      Last edited by SVTDanny; 05-10-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Vehicles
      project roided wookie
      05-10-2012 04:01 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      Oh boy I hope you're sarcastic.

RIP Alexi

22. 05-10-2012 04:07 PM #72

It doesn't matter what you think. It matters what the drag racing community does, and how the terminology works. And according to the people that actually do it, a 8.999 second car is an 8 second car.

Again, it doesn't matter what you think.

23. Banned
      05-10-2012 04:07 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      Then what, good sir, do you classify as "an 8 second car?" One that runs 8.00?
      For me, I'd say anything that gets lower than 8.90 because at that point it's not a good driver making a 9 second car dip into the high 8.90s but the car itself being fast enough to run that fast on its own.

But that's just me. I think the terminology is dumb and just a way for people to nutswing.
      Last edited by C4 A6; 05-10-2012 at 04:10 PM.

24. 05-10-2012 04:10 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      For me, I'd say anything that gets lower than 8.90 because at that point it's not a good driver making a 9 second car dip into the high 8.90s but the car itself being fast enough to run that fast on its own.
      How does that make any sense If it runs 8.999 obviously the car is capable of it. Or does it somehow defy physics because of the driver?

What if it's a crappy driver doing 8.999s, where a good one would do a tenth quicker?

The drag racing community has been using this terminology for ages. It's for a good reason. You're not going to reinvent the wheel.

25. 05-10-2012 04:12 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post

Yes, my brother-in-law has a camaro that runs in the 10's.

This is basically what I was saying. If you give two people those bone stock mustangs with one driver that is good with a stick and another who is not it will come down to the driver. If both cars are automatics the race should be closer until some money is spend.

I never intended to imply no skill is required to launch an 8 second car, I was just replying to the OP's pointing out that it was an automatic.
      Thanks for letting us know you've never driven a fast car

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast