Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 102

    Thread: Guess the repair cost (E34 M5 edition)

    1. Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      17,226
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      05-10-2012 03:26 PM #1
      This M5 was brought to me early this morning for an inspection/purchase opportunity. Clean title, all records, 136k miles. I snapped some pics of the one "issue" it has that makes it VadGTI-spec ...

      What does TCL think this "issue" will cost to fix? Trunk lid opens fine, is untouched. However, the latches no longer line up.









      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    2. Member 8v_gti777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2006
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      4,265
      Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      05-10-2012 03:28 PM #2
      2500. And nice turbine wheels.


    3. 05-10-2012 03:32 PM #4
      Honestly, it might be totaled. THOSE WHEELS!!!

    4. 05-10-2012 03:32 PM #5
      tree fitty
      www.slimdownsarasota.com - Please check out my new page!

    5. Member hognhominy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2005
      Location
      sleeping at the overlook
      Posts
      1,616
      Vehicles
      53 Cylinders & 6 turbos
      05-10-2012 03:33 PM #6
      somewhere in the 12-15k range to properly correct it, with new metal

    6. 05-10-2012 03:36 PM #7
      Im gonna say 10k

    7. 05-10-2012 03:36 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by gambit420s View Post
      somewhere in the 12-15k range to properly correct it, with new metal
      WHat he said.

      That's frame damage, dude. Why are you even looking at it? I see unibody damage in the spare tire well, obviously something is tweaked because the exhaust is hanging too low, plus new trunklid, new frame support for the trunklid...

      It's a lot of freaking damage.

      When are you going to sack up and buy a car that isn't in some way a POS?
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon

      Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

    8. Member choochoo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      OC, CA
      Posts
      6,837
      Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      05-10-2012 03:37 PM #9
      I hope you're getting the car for free or at least close to free. The previous owner should have an estimate. Looks like they got rear ended, took the insurance money from the otherside and instead of fixing the car, they're going to sell it. profit + profit????

    9. Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      17,226
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      05-10-2012 03:40 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      WHat he said.

      That's frame damage, dude. Why are you even looking at it? I see unibody damage in the spare tire well, obviously something is tweaked because the exhaust is hanging too low, plus new trunklid, new frame support for the trunklid...

      It's a lot of freaking damage.

      When are you going to sack up and buy a car that isn't in some way a POS?
      Very little actual damage in the spare tire well. What I thought could be a tweak actually looks to be a factory bubble. The trunklid is untouched. The exhaust is hanging where it's supposed to, it's the bumper cover that's tweaked. No creases on the quarter panels. Nothing except for that center panel.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2004
      Location
      TX
      Posts
      6,412
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      05-10-2012 03:44 PM #11
      Is it a grey market car imported from Africa. If not, I don't know why you are even considering it

    11. 05-10-2012 03:44 PM #12
      take EVERYTHING out of the trunk and take more pictures. spare tire needs to be gone

    12. 05-10-2012 03:45 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Very little actual damage in the spare tire well. What I thought could be a tweak actually looks to be a factory bubble. The trunklid is untouched. The exhaust is hanging where it's supposed to, it's the bumper cover that's tweaked. No creases on the quarter panels. Nothing except for that center panel.
      Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking on your part though. It's the hidden damage once you start disassembly that scares me....especially with ///M cars.

      Are people "wowed" by the wheels b/c they like or hate them?

    13. Banned SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,876
      05-10-2012 03:46 PM #14
      New bumper/sail panel might get you by, but I'd be weary of what's left to be found.

      The gap on the rear driver's door looks good, how's the other side? How are the gaps between the trunk lid and quarters?

    14. Member mellbergVWfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2008
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      9,706
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      05-10-2012 03:48 PM #15
      Frame damaged M? Definite Vad material.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      Malvern, PA
      Posts
      6,216
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      05-10-2012 03:49 PM #16
      Fix could be anywhere from a grand to 10 grand. Depends how much of a hack you are.

      Buy it, hammer that **** out, run it.
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

    16. Member Uberhare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2003
      Location
      Spokane WA
      Posts
      7,519
      05-10-2012 03:49 PM #17
      Better hope nothing mechanical needs fixing. VERY pricey to repair.

      Let me give you an example......friend's M5 needed transmission work. He was a BMW service adviser and had the BMW tech look into it. Turns out he needed to purchase $1500 in special tools just to work on the transmission. And the engine was the same way...special tools. This was Camp BMW in Spokane. A BMW dealer mind you. Even they didn't have the proper equipment to work on the car. Might want to find out if shops in your area carry the tools need to perform repairs and maintenance.

      Awesome car though. Very fun to drive.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

    17. 05-10-2012 03:49 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by kwik!gti View Post
      Are people "wowed" by the wheels b/c they like or hate them?
      If I recall there is a lot of tech involved with the design.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

    18. Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      17,226
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      05-10-2012 03:52 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      New bumper/sail panel might get you by, but I'd be weary of what's left to be found.

      The gap on the rear driver's door looks good, how's the other side? How are the gaps between the trunk lid and quarters?
      Gaps were fine all around. The trunk lid itslef is hard to judge, since it won't close all the way (hits the raised sail panel). But, as you can see, it comes down nearly all the way, is even on both sides, very little gap, even as it sits.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    19. Member Uberhare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2003
      Location
      Spokane WA
      Posts
      7,519
      05-10-2012 03:53 PM #20
      And as far as body damage....you could fix it yourself if you have the time and right tools. I remember seeing a really niffty body repair tool used on Wheeler Dealers the other night. Edd China got this puller tool which uses little tabs spot welded onto the panel. Lot's of them. He then used a rod and a special jig to gently pull the dent out. It was the Ferrari 308 GT4 edition last night. Very cool tool I'd like to have. Don't remember the name/brand.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

    20. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      US 129/ GA SR 60
      Posts
      35,164
      Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      05-10-2012 03:55 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v_gti777 View Post
      2500. And nice turbine wheels.


      Love those wheels.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

    21. 05-10-2012 03:55 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Very little actual damage in the spare tire well. What I thought could be a tweak actually looks to be a factory bubble. The trunklid is untouched. The exhaust is hanging where it's supposed to, it's the bumper cover that's tweaked. No creases on the quarter panels. Nothing except for that center panel.
      I know you are not from the US, so I am going to be very clear here:

      ITS STILL FU***ING WRECKED!!!!!!


      You do not buy cars like this that are wrecked. It still has frame damage. That cross piece under the trunk is technically part of the frame, and could have put the rest of the car out of whack.

      One of these days, you are going to learn that it's cheaper in the long run to buy a better car in the first place, than it is to buy cars like this just because you're a cheap @$$.
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon

      Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

    22. Banned SVTDanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2005
      Location
      Winchester, VA
      Posts
      16,876
      05-10-2012 03:57 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Gaps were fine all around. The trunk lid itslef is hard to judge, since it won't close all the way (hits the raised sail panel). But, as you can see, it comes down nearly all the way, is even on both sides, very little gap, even as it sits.
      I'd get up under it and see how bad it looks, but depending on the price, might be worth the gamble.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      Malvern, PA
      Posts
      6,216
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      05-10-2012 03:57 PM #24
      Golf 6, why can't he just do something like this?

      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

    24. Member NWarty's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2011
      Location
      Olympia, WA
      Posts
      961
      Vehicles
      Sube and a VW
      05-10-2012 04:00 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Chiropractor JW View Post
      tree fitty
      Came to thread expecting this. Leaving happy
      One owner Jetta since May 1st, 1999, 184K miles

    25. 05-10-2012 04:00 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      Fix could be anywhere from a grand to 10 grand. Depends how much of a hack you are.

      Buy it, hammer that **** out, run it.
      actually in this cause that is what i would do.

      There is little point in putting 10 grand in an old 5 series, even if it is an M5.

      But! because the quarter panels are in good condition it could be as simple as pulling the sail panel back, fixing the trunk lid, aligning it all, and painting it.

    26. 05-10-2012 04:01 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      Golf 6, why can't he just do something like this?
      Take real bad video that doesn't show anything meaningful?

    27. Member Jerry_HEAVEN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2000
      Location
      where the slime lives
      Posts
      12,432
      05-10-2012 04:03 PM #28
      add on another $15k aside for high mileage E34 M5....

      I wouldn't touch that, probably declared salvaged?

    28. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 29th, 2012
      Location
      49008
      Posts
      82
      05-10-2012 04:04 PM #29
      $1,000,000 - $1,450,000. I can't believe you even took pictures of it. You obviously suck at life. Everything is a wreck the entire car is useless. You should have the man pay you for having its image even enter your cornea. You are a piece of crap as a person for even asking for advice. So what how much she likes going fast and always wanted to ride in a Bimmer? So what if you can pick up chicks for a fraction of the price everyone puts into their money pits on here? I wouldn't hit the sack with any girl that doesn't know about subframes and chassis no matter how hot she is. You're supposed to act like you know everything about everything and never ask anyone for help- that's obviously what the rest of us think a real man would do, duh.


      jk haha sry just making fun of all these people shtting out of their mouths with vastly different figures.

      Deductive reasoning says that the vast majority of them must be wrong if the vast majority are spewing out vastly different numbers...

      I dunno, man. I guess if I was you I'd find a hammer and a new bumper and spend the rest of the money and time you saved buying and eating healthier foods and spending less time at your job. Then again, I understand that this is not your desire and I respect the time and effort you are taking to seek help and entrusting the Vortex community with questions.

      Good luck.


      Quote Originally Posted by bajaboyextra View Post
      Pierce County Prosecutors said Foster was punched by 25-year-old Daman Lehman outside of a Puyallup bar the night of April 27 after Foster complemented the rims of Lehman’s Lexus.

    29. Member choochoo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      OC, CA
      Posts
      6,837
      Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      05-10-2012 04:04 PM #30
      find a mint E34 M5, take everything out of both trunks and compare....
      my guess is that when you pull off that bumper cover, you're going to find more damage here

    30. Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      17,226
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      05-10-2012 04:05 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      Golf 6, why can't he just do something like this?


      I have experience with this. This is how I fixed the radiator support on my gf's Volvo 740 several years ago. Tied a chain to the radiator support, tied the other end to my then-B5 Passat 1.8T's tow hook, used the fury of the 1.8T to pull and PRESTO! Good as new .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    31. 05-10-2012 04:08 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I have experience with this. This is how I fixed the radiator support on my gf's Volvo 740 several years ago. Tied a chain to the radiator support, tied the other end to my then-B5 Passat 1.8T's tow hook, used the fury of the 1.8T to pull and PRESTO! Good as new .
      why am i not shocked by this at all?

    32. Member choochoo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      OC, CA
      Posts
      6,837
      Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      05-10-2012 04:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I have experience with this. This is how I fixed the radiator support on my gf's Volvo 740 several years ago. Tied a chain to the radiator support, tied the other end to my then-B5 Passat 1.8T's tow hook, used the fury of the 1.8T to pull and PRESTO! Good as new .
      This one is more appropriate to your situation. BMW content.

    33. Member patrickvr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta GA
      Posts
      8,593
      Vehicles
      '87 930 '77 Bronco '01 325iTSC '08 Xterra
      05-10-2012 04:10 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      I know you are not from the US, so I am going to be very clear here:

      ITS STILL FU***ING WRECKED!!!!!!


      You do not buy cars like this that are wrecked. It still has frame damage. That cross piece under the trunk is technically part of the frame, and could have put the rest of the car out of whack.
      IT'S STILL JUST METAL!!!!!!!!

      That car started out as a spool of flat sheet metal and was smashed into shape by giant presses. It can be straightened again if someone wants to put the time and effort into it.

      That car doesn't have a frame. The replacement part for the tail panel is only $200, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=41&fg=25
      Last edited by patrickvr6; 05-10-2012 at 04:16 PM.

    34. 05-10-2012 04:11 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by veearrsicks View Post
      $1,000,000 - $1,450,000. I can't believe you even took pictures of it. You obviously suck at life. Everything is a wreck the entire car is useless. You should have the man pay you for having its image even enter your cornea. You are a piece of crap as a person for even asking for advice. So what how much she likes going fast and always wanted to ride in a Bimmer? So what if you can pick up chicks for a fraction of the price everyone puts into their money pits on here? I wouldn't hit the sack with any girl that doesn't know about subframes and chassis no matter how hot she is. You're supposed to act like you know everything about everything and never ask anyone for help- that's obviously what the rest of us think a real man would do, duh.


      jk haha sry just making fun of all these people shtting out of their mouths with vastly different figures.

      Deductive reasoning says that the vast majority of them must be wrong if the vast majority are spewing out vastly different numbers...

      I dunno, man. I guess if I was you I'd find a hammer and a new bumper and spend the rest of the money and time you saved buying and eating healthier foods and spending less time at your job. Then again, I understand that this is not your desire and I respect the time and effort you are taking to seek help and entrusting the Vortex community with questions.

      Good luck.
      You sure did write a lot, but didn't give a figure or attempt a guess. Are you a politician? Lots-o-talking/no info given while riding the fence.

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •