Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: 2012 Indianapolis 500....Officlal Thread....

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      05-10-2012 04:42 PM #1
      It's getting close; a week from Saturday is Pole Qualifying Day. Is anyone in TCL going to be at the Speedway for Pole Day? If you are, please bring back a report and post it here, with photos ideally. I can't be there this year, alas, but will for DAMNED SURE be there for the 100th running in 2016...unless I'm dead or something, or course.

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

2. 05-10-2012 05:02 PM #2
      My wife and I are creating a travel bucket list. This one along with Monaco is very high on my list. I will be watching Poll Day and of course the race.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      05-10-2012 05:06 PM #3
      I can't wait.
      هم المشكلة

4. 05-10-2012 05:10 PM #4
      I'll be there for the race... and the midgets at IRP on Saturday night of course.

Vehicles
      2012 CC R Line, 2007 Passat Wagon, 2001 Jetta VR6, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      05-10-2012 08:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by platinum_overcast View Post
      I'll be there for the race... and the midgets at IRP on Saturday night of course.
      Ever gone to the Little 500 in Anderson? I have attended hundreds of short track races and it is one of the coolest ever. 33 pavement sprint cars on a high banked 1/4 mile oval for 500 laps!

Vehicles
      2012 CC R Line, 2007 Passat Wagon, 2001 Jetta VR6, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      05-10-2012 08:31 PM #6
      I have gone on and off for many years and was planning to go again, but just wasn't as in to it as I was last year. I received a phone call from a friend a couple months ago who asked me about where to find a ticket broker, how to get a hotel room etc. He told me that he and his dad (who is 73) had talked about going for years, but never got around to it. He decided this would be the year as his dad wasn't getting any younger.

I told Tim "This is your lucky day" and said he could take my awesome seats in the middle of Turn 1 and my hotel room in Carmel for what they cost me. He got so excited and couldn't believe it. He later told me that it is all his dad has been talking about for weeks.

I am way more excited to hear about his trip with his dad then I would be going myself.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      05-10-2012 08:35 PM #7
      Always wanted to go to IRP for the midgets.

Does anyone know the latest on the short-field problem for the 500? The last I heard there were only 32 cars entered, due to the withdrawal of the Newman-Haas team's cars recently. This would be very unfortunate. Bubble Day will be pointless without that all-important 34th car.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      05-10-2012 08:36 PM #8
      That's terrific, Rand. Tell us their story when it comes in.
      Last edited by vwlarry; 05-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 08:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      That's terrific, Rand. Tell us their story when it comes in.
      I am so excited for Tim and his dad. I will let you know how it goes.

Jean Alesi was just announced as a late entrant as a driver several days ago.

I have been to IRP many times, and it is a fantastic track, but the sheer insanity of 33 sprinters running 500 laps made the Little 500 a must see race for me. The first time I went, I thought I would just check it out once for something different, but it became one of those races that I became addicted to. I have been to approx. 500 races in my 54 years, and the Little 500 ranks right up there with the best of them.

I still think there will be a full field. The amount of $$$ that it pays to start will motivate a couple teams to bring out their backup cars.

Rand
      Last edited by randyvr6; 05-10-2012 at 08:56 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      05-10-2012 08:45 PM #10
      our company will be on shutdown during the long weekend, and since i've never been, i'm really thinking of heading up.

and yes, i grew up in Indiana and still live here, yet i've never been.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 08:56 PM #11
      Just to put everyone in the mood for the great tradition of the '500". here is a picture I took last summer of the Smokey Yunick 1958 Kurtis Kraft Roadster. That is what was racing the year I was born.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      05-10-2012 08:57 PM #12
      That's a beauty. What's the linkage for?

Vehicles
      S2000 v3
      05-10-2012 09:00 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v_gti777 View Post
      Adjusting ARB?

╠╬╬╗
      246 R

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 09:01 PM #14
      Here is one for my friend Larry that I took at the same vintage event at Michigan Intl. Speedway

1922 Miller "HCS Special" owned and entered at Indy by the great Harry C. Stutz and driven by two time Indy 500 race winner Tommy Milton.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      05-10-2012 09:01 PM #15
      I went back last year, with my son alongside, for the first time since '95. Despite a noticeable reduction in the overall feeling of "pomp and circumstance" compared to the glory days of the eighties, the Indianapolis 500 is STILL one of the most truly majestic human events I can think of. Television is simply powerless to convey the feeling and emotion that is experienced by being in the midst of that place on Memorial Day. It's huge beyond description, it's exciting (and at times boring...but in an exciting kind of way ), and almost ridiculously patriotic and all-American in its unashamed corniness and Midwestern spirit. Those few precious minutes when the national anthem is played, then Taps, then the supreme moment of sentiment when Jim Nabors sings "Back Home Again In Indiana", followed by the balloon release and the firing of the engines, once experienced cannot ever be forgotten. It's beautiful, and totally addictive, btw. I can't WAIT to go back.

16. 05-10-2012 09:01 PM #16
      Where can we find out about the cars this year. Will they be using the 2.4 turbo?

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 09:02 PM #17
      It is the steering linkage connecting the steering box to the front wheels
      Last edited by randyvr6; 05-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      05-10-2012 09:03 PM #18
      That's the steering linkage.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 09:04 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by ny_fam View Post
      Where can we find out about the cars this year. Will they be using the 2.4 turbo?
      All new chassis and all new V6 turbocharged engines (Chevrolet, Honda, and Lotus) That is why the field is a little more sparse than previous years as all the older cars are ineligible.

Larry described the pre race ceremony perfectly. There is absolutely nothing more stirring in motorsports than Jim Nabors singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" I have been to 25 or so "500's" and it literally sends a chill down my spine every single time.

(and I'm from Michigan)
      Last edited by randyvr6; 05-10-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      05-10-2012 09:11 PM #20
      Rand, that day last year with my son, being back home again, literally, in Indiana for the first time in almost 8 years was very very emotional for me. I always have tears streaming down my face during that song, but last year I had to dry my eyes with a towel; they flowed like, well, water.

The good thing is that so many around one are also wiping away a tear or two. At that moment, no matter where one is from, we're ALL Hoosiers.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 09:11 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      our company will be on shutdown during the long weekend, and since i've never been, i'm really thinking of heading up.

and yes, i grew up in Indiana and still live here, yet i've never been.
      Isn't going to the race at least once a requirement to be labeled as a "Hoosier?"

22. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      05-10-2012 09:42 PM #22
      i've only been to one Carb Day, but every F1 race held there in the 2000's.

also, no Jim Nabors this year due to health (heart valve replacement surgery), so it'll most likely be a recording from a previous year, or a recording from this month.
      welcome to the layer cake

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      05-19-2012 09:49 AM #23
      I certainly hope, and pray that Nabors will recover his health and be around for many years to come. He's an icon at the Speedway, and will be missed greatly by many.

Pole Qualifying today! Turbos are BACK! VWLarry is happy! I am picking Scott Dixon to take the pole today. Any other picks?

Vehicles
      05 scion xA
      05-19-2012 10:15 AM #24
      been here in indianapolis all my life about 15 minute drive from the track and i never been to a single race guess that makes me a non hoosier

25. 05-27-2012 11:12 PM #25
      Damn good call on Dixon Larry!

So here are some miscellaneous ramblings from my very first time attending the Indy 500 :

Awesome, amazing experience. I will be back . . . it's NOTHING like watching it on t.v. It's simply incredible. I drank water throughout the race, you could FEEL the vibration from the cars through the bottle. You could smell the burning rubber after a mishap, it's just amazing. One thing I do miss is seeing EVERYTHING on t.v. and the placement ticker, the pop-ups with the driver info, ultra slow motion, etc. I'll bring a radio next time I'm thinking.

Go with someone who's been to the race every year for over 40 years. My neighbor offered tickets for face value. We left at 10:15 a.m. from the south side of Indy and got to the track around 10:45 - parked for free - sat in the shade for 3/4 of the race and we were blessed with a 10-15 mph breeze for the whole race. We sat in turn 2 and saw every single collision and mishap first hand. With the place he parked and where he positioned us, we got home by 5:15 p.m. Simply amazing!

Don't bother talking to anyone, it's a waste of time and you miss too much blabbing and not being able to hear the person two inches from your face.

No blasphemy intended here Larry, not sure how you feel about Florence Henderson, I know she's a Hoosier and what not but she can't sing anymore, it's painful.

The Go Daddy marketers are brilliant - that florescent green car stands out incredibly and I mean that in a good way. Seriously, I could follow that car all around the track easily. If I owned a car I would make it florescent orange or yellow for the fans.

Mario Andretti drove someone around the track in a two person Indy car - I'll bet you A LOT of money that person changed his/her shorts afterwards b/c he drove the $hit out of that thing. Seriously.

The ZR-1 pace car is simply gorgeous but I'm bias as hell towards C6's now.

The place went ape$hit when TK took the lead and most everyone booed Dario.

Takumo Sato's balls are bigger than hell. This guy can drive, he's got balls but I also think he may be insane. And I don't care if Mother Theresa was in the lead on the last lap, she's NOT gonna let you by her nor would I expect anyone else to. I think he was given a little gap and I'm not an expert or even knowledgeable but from my angle, he was pissed b/c he felt he was crowded out. Not true in my opinion. I won't let someone in front of me in 5:00 p.m. traffic after work - can't imagine letting someone in front of me on lap 199. Don't like Dario but he did nothing wrong imho. Sato threw caution to the wind, made a gamble and bet wrong. I applaud his guts and courage, kudos to him!

Ed Carpenter is another big fan favorite. Ed went completely off in a post race interview about how crappy he felt the cars were made. I'm not sure where that came from but I'm guessing 99% of that was pure frustration. He raced one hell of a race, I would say he gave a heroic effort. He raced a great race and made an amazing save there.

The cars look big. People were grumbling that they weren't as loud as last year but to me it was still pretty damned loud, I wore ear plugs.

TK's 5 car pass was breath taking, we watched that on the monitor, the place went completely insane. 390,000 TK fans there at that moment! Most of the place was crushed after Marco's accident both for Andretti and for Tony, real heart breaker plus Marco took a hell of a hit there. But everyone knew Dario was going to slingshot past him at the end there, you could see it from the moon. Bah.

I'm going to try to get pictures from my neighbor, he had a decent camera and took some good photos. I did not get decent photos, I had my crappy cell phone, took some really crappy shots and I'm not even going to bother looking at them. If I can get the pics from my neighbor, I'll post them up. Good stuff!

Loved it!