Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor built quality on a new car. What's the worst?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 03 Xterra, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-10-2012 08:32 PM #1
      I tried searching for this, didn't find anything. Post poorly built cars, that you have owned in your past from new! I will start with mine:

If you think you had badly built car, think again. Nothing beats East Europen car built in the 80's/90's.

When I was a kid my dad had purchased a Moskvich 21412, and it was the worst that he, and then me had owned ( I had it after him)

The car started rusting in its second years, so we had to replace fenders, sills, and trunk floor. The radiator wasn't big enough, so it will run hot quite often, we had to change the carburetor almost immediately with one from a Lada, the axles start knocking after 10,000 km.
      In its third year we had first of many transmission failures. Countless times we were left stranded by this horror of a car.

At the end it we ended up selling it to the gypsies for scrap like this:

Vehicles
      2000 Acura TL 3.2, 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      05-10-2012 08:37 PM #2
      Can you explain the term Gypsies for me?

They just seem like regular people without a permanent address, am I wrong?

Also you may have ended your thread with the worst possible choice.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2012 08:47 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post

I guess i ended it

About the gypsies, i should not have used it, its a derogatory term, and yes, usually they don't have a permanent address. Thre is a lot to be said about their history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._Romani_people

A lot of them are in ths scrap business, due to circumstance,

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-10-2012 08:52 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post

They look like this:

The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
      05-10-2012 09:01 PM #5
      The one thing that I don't get... is the people building Lada's, Moskvich, Wartburg etc had to drive them. Didn't they break down all the time on the workers own cars, their supervisors, the managers, the general public... I know it was quite a controlled environment in terms of the market for the cars, but still - wouldn't heads roll because the cars were completely terrible and left people stranded constantly.

You'd think people would know - yes this is junk, perhaps we need to make sure we make them better.

??? I work with a bunch of guys from Poland, Romania, Hungary, and have family from Ukraine... they were trained exceptionally well (all these Eastern Europeans know their trades very well - and do good work, and are just about the most helpful people you could ask for) and know quality work. They all learned it back home in Eastern Europe (well, it is well known the Eastern school system was actually advanced and excellent in general). They even talked about being excited about working on new projects and there was constantly work to do... they just said the pay was bad, and pretty much everyone knew how well the western world had it by the mid 70's to early 80's. I guess they just were all hatching plans to get the heck out of there.

The consensus from them all were the cars were terrible, but not everything made in the East was made badly... They say the cars were bad because the brilliant minds were designing power stations, weapons, space technology, chemical processing facilities, transit systems, and buildings... Basically the worst engineers were left to design things like cars . Probably is true.

6. 05-10-2012 09:10 PM #6
      my gypsy wedding has all hot jailbait that remain virgins until marriage at 17 and then cook clean and service you

7. 05-10-2012 09:11 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Live-Wire View Post

The consensus from them all were the cars were terrible, but not everything made in the East was made badly... They say the cars were bad because the brilliant minds were designing power stations, weapons, space technology, chemical processing facilities, transit systems, and buildings... Basically the worst engineers were left to design things like cars . Probably is true.

Probably true for a lot of countries even now.
      Last edited by Grey Mouser; 05-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2012 09:13 PM #8
      In the 70's the quality was much better, compatable to western made cars ( well maybe slightly worse)

The Lada cars were pretty tough, so were the Moskvich and Volga cars. They were easy to mantain without the help of a shop. Skodas were allright as well. I had a Trabant, that hever left me stranded,
      which doesn't say a lot, since its as simple as a moped.

Aftre the respective governments started to run out of money, the built quality declined. Keep it in mind that people were waiting 10-15 years for a car, so when they get it, they don't care - better than no car
      Just the whole thing needed to be retighten by its new proud owner. In Bulgaria you wait the most for Lada - 15 years, then Wartburg, Skoda and Polski Fiat -12 years i think. Then you have Trabant, ZAZ and Fiat 126p with await of 8 years, and then Moskvich, which was 4 years, and then without a wait,
      You can only dream to get a Volga

Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      05-10-2012 09:21 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by manol2 View Post
      I tried searching for this, didn't find anything. Post poorly built cars, that you have owned in your past from new! I will start with mine:

whoa whoa whoa sir, that was uncalled for sir

i spent half of my childhood in that car. as a kid that was my fathers first car that i remember.
      tons of road trips, driving me to the grandparents for the summer, stuff like that.
      not once did that car break down or left us stranded anywhere

edit: now that i think about it, it was also the very first car i got to steer, and few years later when i could reach the pedals i learned to drive on it
      Last edited by romanl; 05-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2012 09:40 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      They look like this:

Sometimes they make their own cars:

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-10-2012 09:43 PM #11
      I can't think of any new cars which are very poorly built ... hell, the new Kia Rio is pretty well built (almost as nice as my Civic from 2001 was). All the entry level cars I can think of are very well executed (Fiesta, Focus, Sonic, Cruze, Chrysler 200, Dodge Dart/Avenger, Civic, Fit, Corolla, Yaris, Golf) ... seriously, I can't think of ONE new car that is built shoddy or poorly anymore.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2012 10:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      I can't think of any new cars which are very poorly built ... hell, the new Kia Rio is pretty well built (almost as nice as my Civic from 2001 was). All the entry level cars I can think of are very well executed (Fiesta, Focus, Sonic, Cruze, Chrysler 200, Dodge Dart/Avenger, Civic, Fit, Corolla, Yaris, Golf) ... seriously, I can't think of ONE new car that is built shoddy or poorly anymore.
      You are right. Everything seems to be well put together these days.
      I meant more like horror cars/ stories from the past.

Vehicles
      2008 9-3 2.0t
      05-10-2012 10:27 PM #13
      Saab 9-3

just kidding, not the worst, but there a few problem areas which seem to span generations and even models (the shift knob glue? Does it not get warmer than 60F in Sweden?)

Vehicles
      '08 Acura TL
      05-10-2012 10:51 PM #14
      Likely something that's not sold in the US.

In the US, perhaps the Colorado/Canyon twins?

05-10-2012 11:16 PM #15

1977 Dodge Diplomat

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      05-10-2012 11:25 PM #16

WHAT A UTTER PIECE OF ****.

looked at one at a local dealer. I Was trying to be "open" to chinese cars..........Well, lets just say now I'm closed.

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3 GT - True Red
      05-11-2012 12:18 AM #17
      For a more recent, more common car, I vote 2004 Chrysler Sebring. The dash cracks and rattles when applying such a small force, the side moldings are falling off, and nothing is well aligned and assembled.

2001 Mazda Protegé (sold) / 2008 Mazda 3 (current) Fuelly

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-11-2012 12:32 AM #18
      For current this one is pretty bad:

Vehicles
      1995 Audi S6
      05-11-2012 12:40 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by manol2 View Post
      I guess i ended it

About the gypsies, i should not have used it, its a derogatory term, and yes, usually they don't have a permanent address. Thre is a lot to be said about their history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._Romani_people

A lot of them are in ths scrap business, due to circumstance,
      "Gypsies" are an interesting bunch, if you read their history. Originating in India?! Who would've known? Deep ties to Islamic history in very unassuming ways? Again, who would've known?! But besides all of that and especially because of all that, there is no derogatory term fitting enough for them, so, as it stands, they have no status without any derogatory terms or any colloquial mannerisms regarding their legitimate existence. Fair?

Vehicles
      '83 GTI G60 ::: '11 clubman ::: '13 Mazda3 IGT
      05-11-2012 12:53 AM #20

Best security feature was when you would try to put the key in the door, and the whole lock cylinder would just fall into the door...

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-11-2012 01:02 AM #21
      manol2,

I bet you are Bulgarian, right? Anyway, the Soviet era cars were indeed total junk, so in my opinion those don't count.

From the modern day cars, I'd say pretty much anything made in China, Malaysia or Indonesia would have extremely poor built quality.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v
      05-11-2012 01:15 AM #22
      Not spec V, regular five speed. Fun car but quality was total crapola. For one it had a really bad buzz/rattle that would come from the dashboard above 4500 RPM. Luckily I didn't often have to rev that high because that 2.5 had such great low end torque. Just overall cheap materials and fit and finish, and a lot of electrical stuff broke like the fuel pump and something with the engine computer (the failed part had already been replaced in a recall). One thing related to the engine electronics went right after power train warranty ended and was like $600 bucks. Wish I had ****ed up my engine so it could have been totally replaced before the first recall, some people got a free new engine. Got rid of it for chump change but it was in crap condition by that time. Hopefully it didn't crap on the young couple who bought it. The guy was a mechanic so I think he knew it still had some life left.

23. 05-11-2012 01:32 AM #23
      inb4 someone says their grandpa/uncle/dad/cousin 70s malaise car had a rattle in the door and when they took the panel off there was beer can with a note to f-off or something to that effect

Vehicles
      VW
      05-11-2012 01:57 AM #24
      I guess it was a plus living in Yugoslavia that we had a choice of Fiat,Zastava(basicly Fiat),VW and all the russian cars as well.
      Zastavas where pretty good build quality, and w VW dominated the car market. By the fall of Yugoslavia, VW mustve been #1 car in the country.
      Even now, mk2 Golf,espacially diesel will be priced the same as Alfa Romeo,Renault,Fiat that are 20yr younger.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 E34, '05 GTI
      05-11-2012 02:12 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      I guess it was a plus living in Yugoslavia that we had a choice of Fiat,Zastava(basicly Fiat),VW and all the russian cars as well.
      Zastavas where pretty good build quality, and w VW dominated the car market. By the fall of Yugoslavia, VW mustve been #1 car in the country.
      Even now, mk2 Golf,espacially diesel will be priced the same as Alfa Romeo,Renault,Fiat that are 20yr younger.
      There was a story I read somewhere how Bosnians, in particular those in Sarajevo have a love for VW and the Mk2 golf as a result of its ability to run on nearly anything.

As I've gotten older I've seen less and less Yugos and Zastavas and more VW's. I wouldn't be surprised if someone said they had a majority market share (VWG).

Hell, my best friend has a mk2 diesel that has been passed down through the family. For all its issues that thing still runs, even with 10 school windsurf boards and sails on the roof.

Vehicles
      2008 CW R32; 03 A4 1.8tq
      05-11-2012 02:32 AM #26

Vehicles
      B7 Audi A4 Quattro
      05-11-2012 03:40 AM #27
      ib4MK4jettaomfgpeelingswitchescoilpacks
      Past: 1999.5 GTI, 2009 Jetta, 2009 Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      05-11-2012 04:31 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by NuggetYellowG60 View Post

is this promoting the good or bad quality of new fords?...........

Vehicles
      '91 Jetta GLI, '68 Beetle 'vert, '79 Cutlass Supreme, '96 Legacy Outback
      05-11-2012 04:56 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by user4815 View Post
      inb4 someone says their grandpa/uncle/dad/cousin 70s malaise car had a rattle in the door and when they took the panel off there was beer can with a note to f-off or something to that effect
      My friend's parents did have an Omni with a Horizon emblem on one side, which they bought brand new. I guess those kind of quality control issues were common back then, like mismatched trim, things installed crooked, huge panel gaps, etc.

Vehicles
      92 16v, 95 M3
      05-11-2012 05:00 AM #30

31. 05-11-2012 05:17 AM #31
      Girls and Money and New Clothes

Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      Keep in mind the noise you hear in an S2000 is the ENGINE, and not the exhaust note that VR6 people jizz over. I'd rather have a nice sounding engine than a nice sounding exhaust.

Vehicles
      VW
      05-11-2012 06:12 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post
      There was a story I read somewhere how Bosnians, in particular those in Sarajevo have a love for VW and the Mk2 golf as a result of its ability to run on nearly anything.

As I've gotten older I've seen less and less Yugos and Zastavas and more VW's. I wouldn't be surprised if someone said they had a majority market share (VWG).

Hell, my best friend has a mk2 diesel that has been passed down through the family. For all its issues that thing still runs, even with 10 school windsurf boards and sails on the roof.
      It didn't help to have TAS in Vogosca. After the war, they started importing VW from Germany like crazy. Only about 10yrs ago, they stop allowing older cars in, and started regulating car import.

FYI TAS is a VW factory in Bosnia. They produced Golfs there in the 80s. Now its used for production of Scoda vehicles.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-11-2012 07:18 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      For a more recent, more common car, I vote 2004 Chrysler Sebring. The dash cracks and rattles when applying such a small force, the side moldings are falling off, and nothing is well aligned and assembled.

Awesome you'd vote for this.
      When Volga wanted to modernize their lineup they decided, "we can buy the outgoing Sebring from Chrysler, make a few changes, and then sell it as the Volga Siber".
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 E34, '05 GTI
      05-11-2012 09:08 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      It didn't help to have TAS in Vogosca. After the war, they started importing VW from Germany like crazy. Only about 10yrs ago, they stop allowing older cars in, and started regulating car import.

FYI TAS is a VW factory in Bosnia. They produced Golfs there in the 80s. Now its used for production of Scoda vehicles.
      I know, I always thought it would be cool to have an mk2 that was built in Bosnia. That said, I didn't know they were building skodas there now, interesting! It was interesting in the late 90s seeing many late model german cars, some RHD, with bosnian plates... always wondered how the made their way there...

Iz kud si?

Vehicles
      Z3M + Z4M S54 Clowncar Mania
      05-11-2012 09:35 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post
      I know, I always thought it would be cool to have an mk2 that was built in Bosnia. That said, I didn't know they were building skodas there now, interesting! It was interesting in the late 90s seeing many late model german cars, some RHD, with bosnian plates... always wondered how the made their way there...

Iz kud si?
      I've got a TAS badge sitting on a shelf in my room waiting for a prime MK2 to put it on.

Ima nas vise ovde.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast