Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: wtf is with the price of mk2s out here???!!!!

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-10-2012 10:00 PM #1
      Ok people need to get over themselves , some kid wants 3,000 for a ****box flat black mk2 GTi another wants 2,000 for a bone stock golf manual everything . They are 20 year old vws at best . Get over yourself they aren't collectors cars. They aren't rare cars but everyone wants above market value for them wtf . I'm not paying above 1500 for a half ****ed up jetta . I remember when no one wanted these cars , why are they so pricey now when half the stuff is NLA on them? I lived in new England the vw capital of America and you can get a mk4 1.8t jetta on Craigslist for what these people want mk2s for , some guy in hot sulfur springs wants 1300 for a 91 four door golf that doesn't run .... WTF !
      Last edited by T-redmk2ABA; 05-10-2012 at 10:03 PM.
      if you can't find mk2 parts PM me I can find whatever you need
      I also make custom parts like grilles PM me with what you would want ie integrated aftermarket fogs and such like that

Vehicles
      92 ABA swapped GTI
      05-10-2012 11:13 PM #3
      Because "They're getting really hard to find!" At least that's their reasoning in their ads. I'm even starting to see that line in ads for mk3s. Just because it's European doesn't make it prestigious.

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-10-2012 11:26 PM #4
      I don't want a ce1 car or jetta
      I also make custom parts like grilles PM me with what you would want ie integrated aftermarket fogs and such like that

Vehicles
      2003 GTI, 1992 GTI, 1987 Syncro Weekender Vanagon
      05-11-2012 03:53 PM #5
      I'm sure if you are patient something will come up.

I have to agree that this is about 900 over what I would even start at.
      http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2944470954.html

Meh, I paid 1500 for mine. Then again I couldn't be convinced to sell it for anywhere near 3 now.

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-11-2012 05:21 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by drew34k View Post
      I'm sure if you are patient something will come up.

I have to agree that this is about 900 over what I would even start at.
      http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2944470954.html

Meh, I paid 1500 for mine. Then again I couldn't be convinced to sell it for anywhere near 3 now.
      that one sold 2 weeks ago

Vehicles
      95 IR 2.slow, 68 Hummbug
      05-12-2012 11:44 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by T-redmk2ABA View Post
      I lived in new England the vw capital of America and you can get a mk4 1.8t jetta on Craigslist for what these people want mk2s for

your correct on that aspect, but also since New England is the VW capital of America, there are a TON of VWs out there. at least a heck of alot more than here in CO. NO mk2s, 3s, and 4s are not "rare" cars by any chance, but VWs being such a sought after car, and the market out here isnt AS saturated as the east coast, people here think they can get CRAZY prices for their beaters.

Now if it was mint or built, i can totally see the prices, but for a half running, beat VW, it isnt worth it.

People may want an arm and a leg for their old jettas and golfs, but a super clean/ built corrado or scirocco... people dont want to pay a dime for out here.
      Quote Originally Posted by VW-G View Post
      friends don't let friends show drop...

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 Sport 1.8T, 1987 GTI VR6
      05-15-2012 09:11 AM #8
      No what I'm more pissed now about if i had waited and not got the jetta there is a descent 90 coupe quattro 20v in Thornton for 2600
      Call Audi and price out a window regulator for a CQ. You'll be glad you didn't get one.
      Lucas Quintana
      I'm so e-code that my house is wired for 230V~50Hz and has "Schutzkontakt" outlets.

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-16-2012 12:33 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by lucaq View Post
      Call Audi and price out a window regulator for a CQ. You'll be glad you didn't get one.
      Yeah I called shokan all audi in ny and they said the motronic and track are 280 + 100 core , for a used one , cq are not ment for a daily

05-16-2012 01:40 PM #10
      CQ=racecar, not a daily.

Vehicles
      73 Superbeetle, 86 Golf (RIP), 88 Scirocco 16v, 93 Corrado SLC, 07 GTI, 04 Jeep GC 4.0L, Cannondale
      05-16-2012 05:16 PM #11
      ... a couple of MK2s would pull a premium one week before Wuste.

Engineers do it better.

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-16-2012 08:30 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
      CQ=racecar, not a daily.
      Yeah I'm going to build my cq when I get it as a rally car to look like the s1 Pikes peak car . Plus of will also hit Pikes peak ... and I have a few tricks and magic I'm going to work on it ... and I will be a privater going for the record on Pikes peak

12. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Windsor Jetta, 93 Passat Wagon
      05-16-2012 10:38 PM #13
      I lived in new England the vw capital of America !

How long ago did you live here???????? Apparently you don't understand how age increases value.

Two years ago I found an 88 Westmoreland Golf rotting in a guys back yard. Here in Mass you have to pay sales tax based on the value of the car, not the selling price. I paid $1000 for it and it was so rusty I had to find a guy that would look the other way to get an inspection sticker, but the NADA value, which is the value the RMV uses for tax purposes, had the car valued at $1800. I just relooked at the NADA value of that year in my zip code and it ranges from $2100 low retail to $5300 High retail. If this car had lived out there in CO where rust makes something look cool and not rot it out to the point of being unsafe, I would have kept it and doubled my investment. I ended up selling it for what I paid because it would cost too much to restore it. You should feel fortunate you found what you did for that price. How do think classic muscle cars go for 100 times more than what they sold for new? Someday VWs will be the classic car that rich people reliving their youth will pay 50,000 for a fully restored one. That's why I'm hoarding every old part I can get my hands on now.
      I'm an Artist and VWs are my canvas.

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-17-2012 03:11 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by CustomCooled View Post
      How long ago did you live here???????? Apparently you don't understand how age increases value.

Two years ago I found an 88 Westmoreland Golf rotting in a guys back yard. Here in Mass you have to pay sales tax based on the value of the car, not the selling price. I paid $1000 for it and it was so rusty I had to find a guy that would look the other way to get an inspection sticker, but the NADA value, which is the value the RMV uses for tax purposes, had the car valued at $1800. I just relooked at the NADA value of that year in my zip code and it ranges from $2100 low retail to $5300 High retail. If this car had lived out there in CO where rust makes something look cool and not rot it out to the point of being unsafe, I would have kept it and doubled my investment. I ended up selling it for what I paid because it would cost too much to restore it. You should feel fortunate you found what you did for that price. How do think classic muscle cars go for 100 times more than what they sold for new? Someday VWs will be the classic car that rich people reliving their youth will pay 50,000 for a fully restored one. That's why I'm hoarding every old part I can get my hands on now.

Omg screw the rmv , if you know witch one to go to (tuanton) I was able to pay 8v sales tax on a 16v GTi lmao . I lived there for 15 years and bought many a nice mk2 for dirt cheap from other vw people , like my current car I got the shell from grovervw in Freetown for 300 bucks towed to my house , and the shell was damn near mint . What I am saying is there not collectors cars YET so they shouldn't want so much for them . Also I bought a muscle car in haverhill for 2000 bucks in fair condition so you really can't use the whole miracle car think , if people would realize they have a pos and just because its old doesn't mean you'll make bank on it or make your money back that you put into the car never happens

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-17-2012 05:31 PM #15
      Also how much did yates pay for his helios in RI , how much does mikey at aamco in brockton pay for his vr corrados, not much more then 2k in either case

My point with this whole thread is because people think just cause a car is old they have a collector car and want big bucks even if the damn thing doesn't run
      Last edited by T-redmk2ABA; 05-17-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Vehicles
      92 ABA swapped GTI
      05-17-2012 08:06 PM #16
      I guess the next question to ask is at what point does an old car become a collector's item?

My guess is whenever people start paying more than what the average car of a comparable genre and age goes for.

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-17-2012 09:36 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Smokestack View Post
      I guess the next question to ask is at what point does an old car become a collector's item?

My guess is whenever people start paying more than what the average car of a comparable genre and age goes for.
      Well the great thing about mass the rmv and the insurance companys said anything over 30 old was an antique.
      I personally believe its under certain circumstances , ei before the muscle car boom in 04 thanks to shows like rides overhaulin and American hot rod , the price of muscles grew over night a chevelle I bought in February that year for 2,000 I was offered 5,000 for in may at the great woods swap meet at the Comcast center in Mansfield ma and my chevelle was a ****ing pile of **** at this point .the problem lies in the fact we all own cars that have always been judged as oddball cars , people up until 5 or so years ago owning a vw even a new one was still oddball , then something happen Idk what but people started jumping ship on Honda, Nissan and Toyota and some American brands and vw ownership in the last 5 to 10 years has sky rocketed. Idk maybe its me and the fact that my last mk2 was a shell and the last one before that was 6 years ago (in 06 I picked up a 98 trek with 78k off a used dealer lot for 3,000) , I think part of the reason vws have gotten popular in the last few years is because of the exposure they have gotten in video games as of late (anyone who has GT5 will agree the polo cup car is awesome ) and we all know its not from the fast and the furious jetta 2.0 ( cheap bastards couldn't get a vr and thank god they didn't , lord knows how much of a flood there would have been then ) . Car popularity goes in highs and lows , I have noticed sense the whole stance sign started (witch was also about 5 years ago ) that vws have become more popular , I thought it was just mk4 and up (cause Hell waterfest should be called coiled and wheel whore mk4 fest) I guess I just answered my own question as to why the price is so high , wait a few years and of will go down. I just hope there will still be fresh clean mk2s then that haven't been dropped on there nuts so bad that people are cutting frames cause they wanna go lower .
      Last edited by T-redmk2ABA; 05-17-2012 at 09:40 PM.