Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 36 to 51 of 51

    Thread: wtf is with the price of mk2s out here???!!!!

    1. Member T-redmk2ABA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2009
      Location
      .....here and there
      Posts
      1,300
      Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-17-2012 05:31 PM #36
      Also how much did yates pay for his helios in RI , how much does mikey at aamco in brockton pay for his vr corrados, not much more then 2k in either case

      My point with this whole thread is because people think just cause a car is old they have a collector car and want big bucks even if the damn thing doesn't run
      Last edited by T-redmk2ABA; 05-17-2012 at 05:35 PM.
      if you can't find mk2 parts PM me I can find whatever you need
      I also make custom parts like grilles PM me with what you would want ie integrated aftermarket fogs and such like that

    2. Member Smokestack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2007
      Location
      Colorado Springs
      Posts
      176
      Vehicles
      92 ABA swapped GTI
      05-17-2012 08:06 PM #37
      I guess the next question to ask is at what point does an old car become a collector's item?

      My guess is whenever people start paying more than what the average car of a comparable genre and age goes for.

    3. Member T-redmk2ABA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2009
      Location
      .....here and there
      Posts
      1,300
      Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-17-2012 09:36 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Smokestack View Post
      I guess the next question to ask is at what point does an old car become a collector's item?

      My guess is whenever people start paying more than what the average car of a comparable genre and age goes for.
      Well the great thing about mass the rmv and the insurance companys said anything over 30 old was an antique.
      I personally believe its under certain circumstances , ei before the muscle car boom in 04 thanks to shows like rides overhaulin and American hot rod , the price of muscles grew over night a chevelle I bought in February that year for 2,000 I was offered 5,000 for in may at the great woods swap meet at the Comcast center in Mansfield ma and my chevelle was a ****ing pile of **** at this point .the problem lies in the fact we all own cars that have always been judged as oddball cars , people up until 5 or so years ago owning a vw even a new one was still oddball , then something happen Idk what but people started jumping ship on Honda, Nissan and Toyota and some American brands and vw ownership in the last 5 to 10 years has sky rocketed. Idk maybe its me and the fact that my last mk2 was a shell and the last one before that was 6 years ago (in 06 I picked up a 98 trek with 78k off a used dealer lot for 3,000) , I think part of the reason vws have gotten popular in the last few years is because of the exposure they have gotten in video games as of late (anyone who has GT5 will agree the polo cup car is awesome ) and we all know its not from the fast and the furious jetta 2.0 ( cheap bastards couldn't get a vr and thank god they didn't , lord knows how much of a flood there would have been then ) . Car popularity goes in highs and lows , I have noticed sense the whole stance sign started (witch was also about 5 years ago ) that vws have become more popular , I thought it was just mk4 and up (cause Hell waterfest should be called coiled and wheel whore mk4 fest) I guess I just answered my own question as to why the price is so high , wait a few years and of will go down. I just hope there will still be fresh clean mk2s then that haven't been dropped on there nuts so bad that people are cutting frames cause they wanna go lower .
      Last edited by T-redmk2ABA; 05-17-2012 at 09:40 PM.
      if you can't find mk2 parts PM me I can find whatever you need
      I also make custom parts like grilles PM me with what you would want ie integrated aftermarket fogs and such like that

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 2007
      Location
      The Spirit of America
      Posts
      379
      Vehicles
      96 Windsor Jetta, 93 Passat Wagon
      05-17-2012 11:02 PM #39
      Hey guy,

      I had a whole argument typed out about how ridiculous you sound. But I'll just do this instead.

      No one is saying you can't find good deals still or take advantage of desperate people fallen on hard times. Apparently you have had good luck finding stuff for way less than what most of the same stuff is selling for. I wish I could. All we are saying is you gotta pay to play and not whine when the game gets expensive.
      I'm an Artist and VWs are my canvas.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 2007
      Location
      The Spirit of America
      Posts
      379
      Vehicles
      96 Windsor Jetta, 93 Passat Wagon
      05-17-2012 11:14 PM #40
      I just found your For Sale thread for,"mint virgin 1990 wolfsber jetta gli 16v" You were in a debate with someone about why you wanted $5000 for it and then you start another thread B itch in about what people are asking for their Mk2s??????


      Someone I know from the oldschool CO group kick this guy in the nuts for me.
      I'm an Artist and VWs are my canvas.

    6. 05-17-2012 11:31 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by T-redmk2ABA View Post
      I did pick up a mint bone stock 90 wolfsberg GLi in the springs for 2200 the guy wanted 3700,

      In this thread you say you paid $4700. You were asking $5000 for the car.


      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-jetta-gli-16v


      WAD
      European Performance Products

      PVW 5/11 Held It Down

    7. Member T-redmk2ABA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2009
      Location
      .....here and there
      Posts
      1,300
      Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-17-2012 11:49 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by CustomCooled View Post
      I just found your For Sale thread for,"mint virgin 1990 wolfsber jetta gli 16v" You were in a debate with someone about why you wanted $5000 for it and then you start another thread B itch in about what people are asking for their Mk2s??????


      Someone I know from the oldschool CO group kick this guy in the nuts for me.
      Cause out there this jetta is worth that out here its like all the others and if I bring the car back I want that much but I already sold it to a friend a umass lowell , my point is out here they dont rot out from under you. Why does everyone want so much for dime a dozen cars out here , back in mass I can justify paying 5,000 for a none rotted car mint and fresh , out here out of the rest belt there everywhere , that's why I am bitching because out here there not worth what people are asking , god damn how did you all miss my point ****
      if you can't find mk2 parts PM me I can find whatever you need
      I also make custom parts like grilles PM me with what you would want ie integrated aftermarket fogs and such like that

    8. Member T-redmk2ABA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2009
      Location
      .....here and there
      Posts
      1,300
      Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-17-2012 11:52 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by GTi2OV View Post
      In this thread you say you paid $4700. You were asking $5000 for the car.


      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-jetta-gli-16v


      WAD
      Have you ever driven cross country before or sense gas got so expensive , Do you have any idea how much it cost to drive cross country , that's total cost with me bringing the car back
      if you can't find mk2 parts PM me I can find whatever you need
      I also make custom parts like grilles PM me with what you would want ie integrated aftermarket fogs and such like that

    9. Member T-redmk2ABA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2009
      Location
      .....here and there
      Posts
      1,300
      Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      05-17-2012 11:56 PM #44
      Km done justifying this I sold the car for 4500 I paid with the new stereo 2500 , I drove mass to Denver in February and of cost me 900 dollars , in gas and hotel fees, so I think my price to bring the car back and condition was more then fair plus I didn't say that because I knew someone would bitched , thank god there are reasonable people off the internet who know how much it is to ship cars cross country
      And I'm going to restate what I said these cars in Colorado should be cheap in the condition there in because they last longer out here , In new England I would pay that much for a rust free car , because you can't find rust free cars in mass , my mothers 06 accord has rust
      . My whole point was wtf do they cost so much out here not in general , do I need to spell that out , out of the rust belt these cars should be cheap not in general , in new England this car is worth what the got wanted for the car witch was almost 4300

      Plus the car is gonna get freshed up a bit , before it goes to lowell , and my work isn't cheap , what other aba obd2 mk2 GTis have you seen have 150hp get 35mpg ( at 90mph) and can do 160mph and run no codes and pass emissions with flying colors with no cat ... mine can .and have the absolute shot beaten out of it and be the most reliable car I have ever owned , my GTi has been drive within an inch of its life and has been pegged at 120 for an hour straight and nothing happen , I would love to see any of your mk2,3, or 4 do that , Hell if I had a long enough road I bet I could hold of at red line ay 160 tell I drain the tank and nothing would happen .. thats what happens when you put math and science in doing a build and not RSes and coil overs and dumb **** , the guy who bought the car knows my work apparently you guys don't so before you get all up in arms about stuff know your facts.
      Last edited by T-redmk2ABA; 05-18-2012 at 12:30 AM.
      if you can't find mk2 parts PM me I can find whatever you need
      I also make custom parts like grilles PM me with what you would want ie integrated aftermarket fogs and such like that

    10. Member pr_gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2007
      Location
      Eastlake (Chula Vista) CA
      Posts
      937
      Vehicles
      09 Passat 2.0T, 91 GLI 16V
      05-18-2012 12:15 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by waxthis View Post
      Got pics?... Hell, everyone with 16 valves post em. I'm curious how many GLI's there are in this state..
      Bought this from a guy here in CO who bought it from a guy in new England a couple years ago. I think I paid a good price for it. Damn I need my own pics of her



      Quote Originally Posted by SCIROCCO SPEED View Post
      ... a couple of MK2s would pull a premium one week before Wuste.



      Quote Originally Posted by T-redmk2ABA View Post
      Cause out there this jetta is worth that out here its like all the others and if I bring the car back I want that much but I already sold it to a friend a umass lowell , my point is out here they dont rot out from under you. Why does everyone want so much for dime a dozen cars out here , back in mass I can justify paying 5,000 for a none rotted car mint and fresh , out here out of the rest belt there everywhere , that's why I am bitching because out here there not worth what people are asking , god damn how did you all miss my point ****

    11. Member SCIROCCO SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2002
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,827
      Vehicles
      73 Superbeetle, 86 Golf (RIP), 88 Scirocco 16v, 93 Corrado SLC, 07 GTI, 04 Jeep GC 4.0L, Cannondale
      05-18-2012 10:34 AM #46
      i think i can come up with a couple of reasons you are seeing the prices go up...

      1. Hipsters... they are the same reason old volvos and mid 80's plymouth minivans are getting popular again. (i actually have no proof of this, but chances are if i spent the time and looked into it, it might be true)

      2. You've had 3 of your next door neighbors in PVW with their MK2s in the last year (congrats again btw guys). Maybe more people read that mag at Barnes&Noble than we thought?

      3. You answered your own question... a lot of Honda kids (and others) have jumped ship and bought MK4s... now that they're (notice my correct use of "they're" ) in the scene, they want MK2s because that's what all the veteran guys have/used to have. They think this will improve their street cred.

      just accept that they are an enthusiast's car now.

      Engineers do it better.

    12. Member waxthis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2006
      Location
      Northern Colorado
      Posts
      284
      Vehicles
      97 Jetta GLS/2004.5 GLI..RIP
      05-18-2012 10:36 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by T-redmk2ABA View Post
      Cause out there this jetta is worth that out here its like all the others and if I bring the car back I want that much but I already sold it to a friend a umass lowell , my point is out here they dont rot out from under you. Why does everyone want so much for dime a dozen cars out here , back in mass I can justify paying 5,000 for a none rotted car mint and fresh , out here out of the rest belt there everywhere , that's why I am bitching because out here there not worth what people are asking , god damn how did you all miss my point ****
      "Why does everyone want so much for dime a dozen cars" ?????????????????? Never new they were so may laying around. Please show me where, have cash in hand.

    13. Member waxthis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2006
      Location
      Northern Colorado
      Posts
      284
      Vehicles
      97 Jetta GLS/2004.5 GLI..RIP
      05-18-2012 10:40 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by pr_gti View Post
      Bought this from a guy here in CO who bought it from a guy in new England a couple years ago. I think I paid a good price for it. Damn I need my own pics of her









      Yahooo, there are now 2 in the state..............



    14. 05-21-2012 12:35 AM #49
      It's all a matter of perspective. I was a mustang guys for 12 years. Discovered the mk3 jettas and gti's and love the things. They are fun to drive decent gas mileage and you can find parts cheap..they really are built pretty well in comparison to other cars from that period. I think $2k is decent price for one with 150k miles. Tires cost $100 ea now. 2k really is not a lot of money for a car today....

      I know I'm talking mk3 but a nice mk2 is pretty hard to come by nowadays..
      Just my worthless 2c..
      Last edited by joe jr.; 05-21-2012 at 12:50 AM.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2002
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      2,618
      Vehicles
      92 Eurovan LWB, 95 Passat GLX wagon
      05-27-2012 07:54 PM #50

    16. Member Smokestack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2007
      Location
      Colorado Springs
      Posts
      176
      Vehicles
      92 ABA swapped GTI
      05-27-2012 11:28 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwabena View Post
      A stockish, good condition 91/92 GTI with the 16v always seems to go for more than $4k from what I've seen. I've seen some go for $8k for mint ones. You could actually get away with calling those rare since the majority of the ~4000 GTI's built over those two years were 8v.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •