Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 112

    Thread: What's the View Here on Catless Downpipes/Cat Deletes?

    1. Member fireside's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      881
      Vehicles
      2010 Ford Fusion SE 6MT
      05-12-2012 04:40 PM #71
      My Mustang GT has a catless X. What now

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2011
      Location
      pgh pa
      Posts
      163
      05-12-2012 05:33 PM #72
      my cars previous owner installed a 3" divorced waste gate catless downpipe and exhaust. no resonator just a muffler.

      he was having trouble passing state inspection because a visible cat must be present to pass. even though we dont have emissions in my county, emissions and state inspection are separate. some counties in pa dont have emissions and some do but all must pass pa state safety inspection.

      to pass he installed a 3" hi flow race cat BUT the problem is he had the exhaust shop install it AFTER the down stream o2 sensor.
      so the cat is doing absolutely nothing except adding un needed back pressure.
      the downstream o2 is getting a reading as if the car was catless anyway...

      my solution is going to be this. itll be "catless" and run well with my tune and also pass visual state inspection.

      http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...c9e3ea16176efc

      i found out about the bad 02 readings when i decided one day to flash my car back to stg 1 map and i instantly got a CEL for un calibrated 02

      p.s. my car is an 04 sti and it has a accessport stg 2 tune for catless. and i tweaked it a little for my 2mm bigger maf housing and intake.

      i cant speak for everyone else but im pretty sure catless subarus have no problem passing emissions/smog tests in other counties in pa
      Last edited by WeeTallDidTiming; 05-12-2012 at 05:37 PM.

    3. Member mikes96GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 22nd, 2003
      Location
      Liberal/Socialist Utopian State.
      Posts
      2,257
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI Edition 30, 2012 JK, 1989 E30
      05-12-2012 05:39 PM #73
      Like I said in another thread, modern cats are MUCH more efficient then the 70's and 80's model that gave cats a bad name. A high flow cat has no distinguishable difference over a straight pipe. The do clean emissions, thats proven.

      However, I think the eco nuts, liberals, and global warming fruit cakes that deny that the earth was warm, got covered in ice, then melted away LONG before man was around with cars and industrial plants have gotten WAY out of hand. You want to drive an electric car, a hybrid, whatever? Good for you. I do not. If i want to drive a car that gets 8MPG and burn my share of gas before India and China (who couldn't care less about the environment) do, I will. I'm telling you boys, we are in another golden age of the car right now. Rampant Muscle car war, trucks with tons of power and decent mileage, fun to drive small cars, get your fill now. I feel we are on the brink of another Malaise era of auto's in the next decade. I got a nice project car lined up, and hopefully in a few months, I will be dumping my BMW for a 392 Challenger before gas guzzling, V8 powered cars are officially outlawed.
      A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
      George S. Patton

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2011
      Location
      pgh pa
      Posts
      163
      05-12-2012 06:02 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by mikes96GTI View Post
      A high flow cat has no distinguishable difference over a straight pipe. The do clean emissions, thats proven.

      i agree, but considering my downstream o2 sensor is reading as if a cat isn't even present anyway i see the point in having the cat on there especially because my tune is for catless anyway.
      and since my cat was installed after the downstream o2 its emissions are as bad as if the cat was not present, and since its after the downstream o2 its pretty far down my exhaust and probably not even heating up properly.
      if the high flow cat was installed properly before the downstream o2 i wouldn't touch it. it would stay on the car.
      Last edited by WeeTallDidTiming; 05-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 2002
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,967
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      05-12-2012 06:19 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by mikes96GTI View Post
      I think the eco nuts, liberals, and global warming fruit cakes that deny that the earth was warm, got covered in ice, then melted away LONG before man was around with cars and industrial plants have gotten WAY out of hand. You want to drive an electric car, a hybrid, whatever? Good for you. I do not. If i want to drive a car that gets 8MPG and burn my share of gas before India and China (who couldn't care less about the environment) do, I will. I'm telling you boys, we are in another golden age of the car right now. Rampant Muscle car war, trucks with tons of power and decent mileage, fun to drive small cars, get your fill now.
      It's very rare i agree with anything ppl post in this forum, but that's spot on

    6. Member SGLoki's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2004
      Location
      The Ham
      Posts
      7,868
      Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03 Allroad sold, 86 Jetta sold, 87 f150 & ????
      05-12-2012 06:23 PM #76
      There is no HARM in having a high flow cat, if it helps make the air easier to breath (regardless of your environmental views, you'd be an idiot to try to refute smog and health effects) why not run one?

      If it's a track car, I could see why you'd go catless. If you drive it on the street, getting 2-5 hp is hardly worth the delete, may as well get a high flow, then recycle the old one for 1/2 the cost of the new one if you really want that HP.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

    7. Member 302W's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2004
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      3,348
      05-12-2012 06:30 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by mikes96GTI View Post
      However, I think the eco nuts, liberals, and global warming fruit cakes that deny that the earth was warm, got covered in ice, then melted away LONG before man was around with cars and industrial plants have gotten WAY out of hand.
      I think it's silly to declare with an ounce of certainty that global warming does or does not exist. I'm certainly not going to listen to what some Joe Schmo, politician, or pundit has to say about it. Hell, scientists that may actually know what they're talking about don't seem to be in agreement about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      1988 is not an 80's car, it's an early 90s car but whatever.

    8. Member vasillalov's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 4th, 2003
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      8,149
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-12-2012 07:24 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      If you drive it on the street, getting 2-5 hp is hardly worth the delete, ....



      How many times do we have to drill into you? It's not 2-5 hp. A LOT more than that!


      On BMW N54 engine the catless downpipes will give you easy 40-60 whp and 40-50 wtq with proper tuning.

    9. 05-12-2012 07:37 PM #79
      For a car that sees track use ONLY as a competition car I am okay with cat deletes. For a car that is used at occasional HPDE or the auto-x or drag strip but is still a registered car for the streets, I think it is stupid to take the cats off. For a street car I think it is stupid to take the cats off.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    10. 05-12-2012 07:39 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      It was cheaper not to buy an aftermarket exhaust without one. Do I feel bad sometimes? Sure. Do I lose sleep? No.

      Why? Because I would bet a whole lot that half the righteous folk in this dumbass thread don't give a hoot about the environment. I bet you smoke, litter and don't even recycle. So unless you're effin Captain Planet then piss off.
      Spoken like a true Strong Islander.

      Also, try this http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/index.html
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    11. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,757
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      05-12-2012 07:40 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post


      How many times do we have to drill into you? It's not 2-5 hp. A LOT more than that!
      Well the N54 is a unique case with the increase being so high, but yes on average the gains are certainly well above 5hp. I'd say 20 or so is around the average.

    12. 05-12-2012 07:43 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Well the N54 is a unique case with the increase being so high, but yes on average the gains are certainly well above 5hp. I'd say 20 or so is around the average.
      Even if it is 20 HP, it's really not usable safely on the street unless you drive like a punk kid on a GSXR. I don't see the point in voiding a factory emissions warranty and breaking the law because you get to floor it on the on ramp once in awhile.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    13. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,757
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      05-12-2012 07:46 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Even if it is 20 HP, it's really not usable safely on the street unless you drive like a punk kid on a GSXR. I don't see the point in voiding a factory emissions warranty and breaking the law because you get to floor it on the on ramp once in awhile.
      Actually, in my car, on the VQ37, it adds a good 20lb-ft of torque across the whole range, so low end drive-ability is actually increased.

    14. 05-12-2012 07:54 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Actually, in my car, on the VQ37, it adds a good 20lb-ft of torque across the whole range, so low end drive-ability is actually increased.
      I wasn't aware brand new Infiniti G37's suffered from poor driving characteristics at legal speeds. Sounds like a good reason to void a warranty on a $40K car and disregard the law/civic responsibility. Learn something new everyday.

      Look, you could tell me it added 50 HP, or 100 HP and I'd still not be swayed. This thread asked for viewpoints and I think on cars that are registered for road use and/or also have the benefit of a warranty the emissions systems should be left as designed. The microscopic benefit is outweighed by the need to eventually resell that car (that you have now paid extra money to modify) and also the fact that cars without cats emit measurably higher emissions (therefore displaying a selfish attitude that you can do whatever you please and pick and choose what laws apply to you).

      It's cheaper and easier to lie on your tax returns; do you do that?
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    15. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,757
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      05-12-2012 08:05 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      I wasn't aware brand new Infiniti G37's suffered from poor driving characteristics at legal speeds. Sounds like a good reason to void a warranty on a $40K car and disregard the law/civic responsibility. Learn something new everyday.

      Look, you could tell me it added 50 HP, or 100 HP and I'd still not be swayed. This thread asked for viewpoints and I think on cars that are registered for road use and/or also have the benefit of a warranty the emissions systems should be left as designed. The microscopic benefit is outweighed by the need to eventually resell that car (that you have now paid extra money to modify) and also the fact that cars without cats emit measurably higher emissions (therefore displaying a selfish attitude that you can do whatever you please and pick and choose what laws apply to you).

      It's cheaper and easier to lie on your tax returns; do you do that?
      Viewpoint noted.


    16. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-12-2012 08:06 PM #86
      The way I see it. People spend their entire lives smoking cigarettes and polluting the air. How is that any different from driving without a Cat?
      OTC

    17. 05-12-2012 08:16 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      The way I see it. People spend their entire lives smoking cigarettes and polluting the air. How is that any different from driving without a Cat?
      Smoking is legal, removing the cat from your car isn't. Go write your Congressman a letter.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    18. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-12-2012 08:31 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Smoking is legal, removing the cat from your car isn't. Go write your Congressman a letter.
      What a horrendous rebuttal.

      You try to make it sound like you're trying to protect the environment, but then it immediately becomes about following laws? Nice try.
      OTC

    19. 05-12-2012 08:32 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      The way I see it. People spend their entire lives smoking cigarettes and polluting the air. How is that any different from driving without a Cat?

      pulling the cat is kind of sleazy and way more pollution than cigarettes, not that it matters as the planet is screwed every which way

    20. Member The Chemist's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2nd, 2003
      Location
      Shanghai / 上海
      Posts
      3,955
      Vehicles
      Electric Vespa Clone; Giant FCR3500; Shanghai Metro
      05-12-2012 08:34 PM #90
      I do wonder why people in here are talking about global warming when the discussion is about catalytic converters - which have NOTHING to do with climate-change causing emissions.
      "Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world."

      - Jack Layton, 1950-2011

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 2002
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      8,967
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      05-12-2012 08:44 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
      I do wonder why people in here are talking about global warming when the discussion is about catalytic converters - which have NOTHING to do with climate-change causing emissions.
      but but, the liberals say cars are evil and we should all drive hybrids to save the planet...

    22. Geriatric Member AKADriver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 20th, 2001
      Location
      Unreal VA
      Posts
      41,135
      Vehicles
      Mazda2
      05-12-2012 08:44 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by 302W View Post
      I think it's silly to declare with an ounce of certainty that global warming does or does not exist. I'm certainly not going to listen to what some Joe Schmo, politician, or pundit has to say about it. Hell, scientists that may actually know what they're talking about don't seem to be in agreement about it.
      We can prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that it is happening, using atmospheric data. The only case NOT to "believe in" global warming is if you listen to conservative american politicians.

      However, it has nothing at all to do with catalysts.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

    23. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-12-2012 08:46 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      We can prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that it is happening, using atmospheric data. The only case NOT to "believe in" global warming is if you listen to conservative american politicians.

      However, it has nothing at all to do with catalysts.
      We can prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that it is not happening, using atmospheric data. The only case TO "believe in" global warming is if you listen to liberal american politicians.
      OTC

    24. Member 71DubBugBug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      10,329
      Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      05-12-2012 09:30 PM #94
      Does anyone know the cell count in magna flow high flow cats?


      Also as mentioned other than getting hollow cats, one can also run 200 or 100 cell cats.

    25. Member BassNotes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 15th, 2005
      Location
      Costa Mesa, Calif., USA
      Posts
      3,180
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8t
      05-12-2012 09:46 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      We can prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that it is not happening, using atmospheric data. The only case TO "believe in" global warming is if you listen to liberal american politicians.
      It's not happening! It's not. Look at the facts, not what the scientists and their liberal american politician friends say. I'll bet nobody's even talking about it outside Amerca. Deleting your cat is no worse than if your car was farting all the time.
      Bob Lee
      2002 GTI 1.8t 244,000+ miles
      VCDS 14.10.0 with KEY-USB interface

    26. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-12-2012 09:59 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by BassNotes View Post
      It's not happening! It's not. Look at the facts, not what the scientists and their liberal american politician friends say. I'll bet nobody's even talking about it outside Amerca. Deleting your cat is no worse than if your car was farting all the time.
      True story.
      OTC

    27. Member 302W's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2004
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      3,348
      05-12-2012 10:14 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      We can prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that it is happening, using atmospheric data. The only case NOT to "believe in" global warming is if you listen to conservative american politicians.

      However, it has nothing at all to do with catalysts.
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      We can prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that it is not happening, using atmospheric data. The only case TO "believe in" global warming is if you listen to liberal american politicians.
      Quote Originally Posted by BassNotes View Post
      It's not happening! It's not. Look at the facts, not what the scientists and their liberal american politician friends say. I'll bet nobody's even talking about it outside Amerca. Deleting your cat is no worse than if your car was farting all the time.
      Science and politics don't mix. Politicians and loudmouth pundits will manipulate any fact to serve their respective cause. Keep arguing though, like monkeys ****ing a football..
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      1988 is not an 80's car, it's an early 90s car but whatever.

    28. 05-13-2012 12:36 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      What a horrendous rebuttal.

      You try to make it sound like you're trying to protect the environment, but then it immediately becomes about following laws? Nice try.
      My whole point from the beginning was that it is about following laws and not leaving it up to toughboy junior street racers like you to decide what laws apply to them and which don't. I don't think I ever said anything about the environment. I don't expect kids with kiddie cars racing around on public roads to even comprehend this viewpoint.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    29. 05-13-2012 12:39 AM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by BassNotes View Post
      It's not happening! It's not. Look at the facts, not what the scientists and their liberal american politician friends say. I'll bet nobody's even talking about it outside Amerca. Deleting your cat is no worse than if your car was farting all the time.
      So explain to me why cars have catalytic converters if they aren't necessary as pollution controls? Oh, that's right, they ARE pollution controls that are federally mandated; it's just that selfish people think they can pick and choose which laws to follow and when the fact that they are willingly breaking the law for their momentary fun they immediately throw politics into it; a nice attempt to deflect that they are just acting like selfish members of society.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    30. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-13-2012 12:40 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      My whole point from the beginning was that it is about following laws and not leaving it up to toughboy junior street racers like you to decide what laws apply to them and which don't. I don't think I ever said anything about the environment. I don't expect kids with kiddie cars racing around on public roads to even comprehend this viewpoint.
      What are you going on about? Seriously kiddie cars and public street racing? You're out of your mind.
      OTC

    31. 05-13-2012 12:42 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      What are you going on about? Seriously kiddie cars and public street racing? You're out of your mind.
      It seems like only the junior street racing crowd, the ones with modified kiddie cars (sorry, a 2002 GTI is a kiddie car, not a real adults car anymore) are the ones that are OK breaking laws and when shown this fact they just go off about this, that, and the other why it is OK that they break the law by using some unrelated item. It's OK for you to remove the cat from your street driven car because other people smoke cigarettes, you say, but then say that I am out of my mind? Come on.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    32. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-13-2012 12:48 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      It seems like only the junior street racing crowd, the ones with modified kiddie cars (sorry, a 2002 GTI is a kiddie car, not a real adults car anymore) are the ones that are OK breaking laws and when shown this fact they just go off about this, that, and the other why it is OK that they break the law by using some unrelated item. It's OK for you to remove the cat from your street driven car because other people smoke cigarettes, you say, but then say that I am out of my mind? Come on.
      You went totally off topic by throwing in the street racing thing, which is so unnecessary. Look I know the stigma my car has, and I can honestly tell you not once I have I raced it on the street.

      Now that out of the way. You might not agree with my opinions on the fact, but the millions of people that smoke everyday are probably polluting the air a whole lot more than the 2k miles a year I put on my cat less car. Yes, it's breaking the law. And I know you don't like fallacies, but I'll say it anyway. You and I both know that no one follows the law to a T. So until every other person on the planet is 100% environmentally friendly I'll keep acting my selfish way.
      OTC

    33. 05-13-2012 12:53 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      I'll keep acting my selfish way.
      As long as you acknowledge that you are acting like a selfish child I guess it is OK; your decision is not one that any sensible and sane adult makes.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    34. Member clean'nblackmk4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2009
      Location
      Death Star
      Posts
      2,452
      Vehicles
      IV Hatchgone, E39
      05-13-2012 01:00 AM #104
      Catless, I'll be dead by the time the world ends, might as well make the most power out of it.
      Quote Originally Posted by dangerkart View Post
      they give us a beer icon so we can feel established and accomplish the art of manliness
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      You can take the driver out of the Honda but you can't take the Honda out of the driver.
      vw.

    35. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-13-2012 01:01 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      As long as you acknowledge that you are acting like a selfish child I guess it is OK; your decision is not one that any sensible and sane adult makes.
      Not for nothing but you must not have a lot of human interaction. People are naturally idiotic, childish and selfish.
      OTC

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •