Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Results 101 to 112 of 112

    Thread: What's the View Here on Catless Downpipes/Cat Deletes?

    1. 05-12-2012 11:42 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      What are you going on about? Seriously kiddie cars and public street racing? You're out of your mind.
      It seems like only the junior street racing crowd, the ones with modified kiddie cars (sorry, a 2002 GTI is a kiddie car, not a real adults car anymore) are the ones that are OK breaking laws and when shown this fact they just go off about this, that, and the other why it is OK that they break the law by using some unrelated item. It's OK for you to remove the cat from your street driven car because other people smoke cigarettes, you say, but then say that I am out of my mind? Come on.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    2. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-12-2012 11:48 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      It seems like only the junior street racing crowd, the ones with modified kiddie cars (sorry, a 2002 GTI is a kiddie car, not a real adults car anymore) are the ones that are OK breaking laws and when shown this fact they just go off about this, that, and the other why it is OK that they break the law by using some unrelated item. It's OK for you to remove the cat from your street driven car because other people smoke cigarettes, you say, but then say that I am out of my mind? Come on.
      You went totally off topic by throwing in the street racing thing, which is so unnecessary. Look I know the stigma my car has, and I can honestly tell you not once I have I raced it on the street.

      Now that out of the way. You might not agree with my opinions on the fact, but the millions of people that smoke everyday are probably polluting the air a whole lot more than the 2k miles a year I put on my cat less car. Yes, it's breaking the law. And I know you don't like fallacies, but I'll say it anyway. You and I both know that no one follows the law to a T. So until every other person on the planet is 100% environmentally friendly I'll keep acting my selfish way.
      OTC

    3. 05-12-2012 11:53 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      I'll keep acting my selfish way.
      As long as you acknowledge that you are acting like a selfish child I guess it is OK; your decision is not one that any sensible and sane adult makes.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    4. Member clean'nblackmk4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2009
      Location
      Death Star
      Posts
      2,452
      Vehicles
      IV Hatchgone, E39
      05-13-2012 12:00 AM #104
      Catless, I'll be dead by the time the world ends, might as well make the most power out of it.
      Quote Originally Posted by dangerkart View Post
      they give us a beer icon so we can feel established and accomplish the art of manliness
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      You can take the driver out of the Honda but you can't take the Honda out of the driver.
      vw.

    5. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-13-2012 12:01 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      As long as you acknowledge that you are acting like a selfish child I guess it is OK; your decision is not one that any sensible and sane adult makes.
      Not for nothing but you must not have a lot of human interaction. People are naturally idiotic, childish and selfish.
      OTC

    6. 05-13-2012 12:07 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      Not for nothing but you must not have a lot of human interaction. People are naturally idiotic, childish and selfish.
      I own a car dealership; seems to keep me interacting with people a lot. I certainly agree that many people are naturally idiotic, childish, and selfish. I guess this forum gives me the opportunity to ask what drives the selfish mentality.

      I'm sincerely curious as to what the benefit is. I'm trying to understand the thought process and pro vs con benefit that played out. What is the allure to removing the cat. I must be missing something; you have a rarely driven, never tracked, street car that is sporty and you stood to gain a 5% power bump by spending a disproportionate amount of money to break the law AND lower your cars resale (or else spend MORE money to put it back to stock).

      So you can HAVE your viewpoint that it's sick awesome brah; whatever, but at least be able to explain it without some lame BS analogy to smokers and pollution. Without a red herring defense just explain to me what you think and WHY you think it. What got you thinking "I should remove this item" and what was going through your head just before you did? I'm trying to meet you halfway here in understanding your viewpoint because right now I don't understand it; you're just making noise and not sense.
      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    7. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-13-2012 12:12 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      I own a car dealership; seems to keep me interacting with people a lot. I certainly agree that many people are naturally idiotic, childish, and selfish. I guess this forum gives me the opportunity to ask what drives the selfish mentality.

      I'm sincerely curious as to what the benefit is. I'm trying to understand the thought process and pro vs con benefit that played out. What is the allure to removing the cat. I must be missing something; you have a rarely driven, never tracked, street car that is sporty and you stood to gain a 5% power bump by spending a disproportionate amount of money to break the law AND lower your cars resale (or else spend MORE money to put it back to stock).

      So you can HAVE your viewpoint that it's sick awesome brah; whatever, but at least be able to explain it without some lame BS analogy to smokers and pollution. Without a red herring defense just explain to me what you think and WHY you think it. What got you thinking "I should remove this item" and what was going through your head just before you did? I'm trying to meet you halfway here in understanding your viewpoint because right now I don't understand it; you're just making noise and not sense.
      My original post contained my reasoning, I'm not sure if you read it. I said that it was much cheaper to purchase my exhaust without one. I'm building my car on a very strict budget, so those were one of the corners that got cut. Trust me, if I had the money to get the cat I would have. It's a pain getting the car inspected around here.
      OTC

    8. 05-13-2012 12:20 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      My original post contained my reasoning, I'm not sure if you read it. I said that it was much cheaper to purchase my exhaust without one. I'm building my car on a very strict budget, so those were one of the corners that got cut. Trust me, if I had the money to get the cat I would have. It's a pain getting the car inspected around here.
      Thank you. You have explained your viewpoint to me in a clear and easy to understand manner.

      One day you will realize it is always cheaper to pay up front to do things right and with quality parts. You wanted the exhaust so bad that you were willing to buy the inferior/cheaper version for instant gratification and will jump through the hoops later to deal with the issues. That's how *I* see it.

      I don't intend that as a slam at you so much as I intend it to be the way *I* now have formed my viewpoint on the same exact set of facts. You and I have different value systems.

      I thank you for being truthful (cheaper, more expedient, corners were cut, etc.) and dropping that bogus stuff about global warming existing or not existing, smokers causing pollution so you can too, yadda, yadda; that sort of defense was desperate and disingenuous. Sounded like you were running for office.


      22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    9. Member Run L1ke H3LL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2009
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      4,319
      Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-13-2012 12:27 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      Thank you. You have explained your viewpoint to me in a clear and easy to understand manner.

      One day you will realize it is always cheaper to pay up front to do things right and with quality parts. You wanted the exhaust so bad that you were willing to buy the inferior/cheaper version for instant gratification and will jump through the hoops later to deal with the issues. That's how *I* see it.

      I don't intend that as a slam at you so much as I intend it to be the way *I* now have formed my viewpoint on the same exact set of facts. You and I have different value systems.

      I thank you for being truthful (cheaper, more expedient, corners were cut, etc.) and dropping that bogus stuff about global warming existing or not existing, smokers causing pollution so you can too, yadda, yadda; that sort of defense was desperate and disingenuous. Sounded like you were running for office.
      Not for nothing, but that was the first reason I gave for it. I said it was cheaper, you can go back and look at my posts. That's not my fault you missed that point when you were too busy knocking me for being from Long Island. I was simply including that my decision was not swayed by the fact that it was ruining the environment. Meaning, if I actually cared then I would have saved more money.


      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      It was cheaper not to buy an aftermarket exhaust without one.
      Ignore the mistake in grammar please
      OTC

    10. Member BassNotes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 15th, 2005
      Location
      Costa Mesa, Calif., USA
      Posts
      3,236
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8t
      05-13-2012 01:30 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      So explain to me why cars have catalytic converters if they aren't necessary as pollution controls? Oh, that's right, they ARE pollution controls that are federally mandated; it's just that selfish people think they can pick and choose which laws to follow and when the fact that they are willingly breaking the law for their momentary fun they immediately throw politics into it; a nice attempt to deflect that they are just acting like selfish members of society.
      Cars have catalytic converters just to line the pockets of the politicians!! Everyone should be aware of that by now!!

      Real men delete cats to enjoy the 150 extra horsepower, dump their old oil in the storm drain, and crap on the neighbor's lawn.
      Bob Lee
      2002 GTI 1.8t 249,000+ miles
      VCDS 14.10.2 with KEY-USB interface

    11. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 7th, 2010
      Location
      Whitehorse, YT, Canada
      Posts
      62
      05-13-2012 01:44 AM #111
      I'm allergic to cats
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      Yo, get u sum 2 fly tyte rimz dude lo pro wide wack durp yo 2 my bro grm brb wha yo do wah dip it y. hmz? drp? ara raga blah fo no sho izh r trb ik. 2.

    12. Member 302W's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2004
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      3,350
      05-13-2012 07:45 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by BassNotes View Post
      Cars have catalytic converters just to line the pockets of the politicians!! Everyone should be aware of that by now!!

      Real men delete cats to enjoy the 150 extra horsepower, dump their old oil in the storm drain, and crap on the neighbor's lawn.
      That's just fertilizer
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      1988 is not an 80's car, it's an early 90s car but whatever.

    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •