Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you witness a person dinging your car, what can you really even do? What recourse?

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      05-11-2012 05:09 PM #1
      Like, people opening their door into your car, in a parking lot. I mean, damage generally below deductible... Trade insurance info? Is there really any point? What can a car lover do to make negligent dousches pay? I just dont know how ill handle it if/when it happens...

Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      05-11-2012 05:15 PM #2
      If they dinged your car, you take their insurance info and file a claim. No deductible.
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      05-11-2012 05:16 PM #3
      If they refuse to give you any insurance information then write down their plate number and calls the cops?

Vehicles
      BT MK6 GLI, and other non VW stuff..
      05-11-2012 05:22 PM #4
      what mightyDMS or BeBop said..

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      05-11-2012 05:23 PM #5
      this might be coming from a bad place but let cut that N*****s nuts off!
      Demokratically Elekted Harbinger of Beetus & Confektionariy Devices of The Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      I contribute nothing of value to this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eberger View Post
      Methamphetamine and masturbation go together like chocolate and peanut butter... I guess.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      05-11-2012 05:24 PM #6
      Or you can do what my buddies wife did

Go back into the store, buy honey and chocolate sauce, and go back out there and proceed to empty both bottles all over the offenders vehicle.

Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      1996 2.0 Jetta
      05-11-2012 05:51 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ThreadBomber View Post
      Or you can do what my buddies wife did

Go back into the store, buy honey and chocolate sauce, and go back out there and proceed to empty both bottles all over the offenders vehicle.

At least she was sweet about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      I'm here for the thread about popcorn.
      | Jetta Timeline | 2011 Epic Thread Survivor | Nevar forget |

Vehicles
      '07 Mazda 3s GT, '13 Subaru Impreza Sport, KHS Flite 100
      05-11-2012 06:00 PM #8
      I kind of feel like it's "car karma" to get dinged...it happens and most times by accident and I would think long and hard about filing an insurance claim...What about when you spit up a rock and it cracks the persons windshield behind you? Same thing...part of owning a vehicle.
      Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      Now b/c of this im fkn paranoid about mines. For for theifs out there u better watch out... cuz im nockturnal....i dont go to sleep till 4am either.... and i bought a machette a ago... if i see u near my car im running out there and ima chop ur ass up.... real shiitt
      http://www.adventureseekers.co
      We are giants, with stars at our fingertips

Vehicles
      06 Legacy GT Wagon
      05-11-2012 06:01 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by oh noes! cars! View Post
      I kind of feel like it's "car karma" to get dinged...it happens and most times by accident and I would think long and hard about filing an insurance claim...What about when you spit up a rock and it cracks the persons windshield behind you? Same thing...part of owning a vehicle.

Errr.. what?

One is carelessness and the other is a hazard of driving.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      05-11-2012 06:02 PM #10
      Except that the windshield thing is an accident 99.9% of the time, and the dings are preventable 99.9% of the time.

I just park in the middle of nowhere and walk an extra few steps
      Teefy Buna

I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

11. 05-11-2012 06:04 PM #11
      what do you guys do if someone tapped your bumper while parallel parking?

Vehicles
      06 Legacy GT Wagon
      05-11-2012 06:06 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by roflingsam View Post

Slap the idiot for being an idiot?

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      05-11-2012 06:06 PM #13
      it's on like donkey kong
      Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      Something I bought at Weymouth Honda
      05-11-2012 06:07 PM #14
      I take their license, and cut it up with my pocket knife. Then, after they drive off I call the cops and report some bull**** and when hey get pulled over they get a big fine for driving without their license.

Or, get their insurance info and make a claim. It's not that difficult...

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      05-11-2012 06:24 PM #15
      typical america!
      you guys realize that in EVERY other country these dings are considered part of life.
      Its a car, a simple door ding is life. If you dont want them, DONT DRIVE and park like a jack ass taking up two spots, or on the opposite side of the empty lot and walking a mile to the door.

I hate when people park nice cars in tight spots then get all anal that a door was opened into them....get over it.

Vehicles
      06 Legacy GT Wagon
      05-11-2012 06:25 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by speed51133! View Post
      typical america!
      you guys realize that in EVERY other country these dings are considered part of life.
      Its a car, a simple door ding is life. If you dont want them, DONT DRIVE and park like a jack ass taking up two spots, or on the opposite side of the empty lot and walking a mile to the door.

I hate when people park nice cars in tight spots then get all anal that a door was opened into them....get over it.

So don't open your door into them? It's about showing respect for other peoples properties, apparently this is not an option in 'every other country'.

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      05-11-2012 06:26 PM #17
      sorry...its life.

its like going into a crowded bar and getting pissed off that people bump into you.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      05-11-2012 06:26 PM #18
      typical america!

Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      05-11-2012 06:27 PM #19
      sorry...its life.

its like going into a crowded bar and getting pissed off that people bump into you.
      No it isn't, because that doesn't cause any damage
      Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      05-11-2012 06:51 PM #20
      Not the same.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 S4, 2004 X3
      05-11-2012 07:26 PM #21
      About a month ago, I drove my wife's X3 to the supermarket. I came out after shopping and there was a [b]huge[/u] ding in the rear driver's door with some red paint smeared on the X3 for good measure. Next to the X3 was a red minivan. I took a bunch of pictures with my phone (including the license plate of the minivan) and got in the car to wait for the minivan's owner to come out.

In about five or ten minutes, an older lady with her crippled son come out and proceed to apologize profusely. It was a very windy day, and when she opened her door, the wind took it and it slammed into the X3, obviously with a lot of force.

I told her I knew of a dentless repair place that could fix it for about $150, she pulled out two $100 bills and handed them to me. I actually gave her change and thanked her for being so cooperative. I drove home, scheduled the paintless dent removal place, and got it fixed a few days later.

Vehicles
      06 Legacy GT Wagon
      05-11-2012 07:34 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilHVW View Post
      About a month ago, I drove my wife's X3 to the supermarket. I came out after shopping and there was a [b]huge[/u] ding in the rear driver's door with some red paint smeared on the X3 for good measure. Next to the X3 was a red minivan. I took a bunch of pictures with my phone (including the license plate of the minivan) and got in the car to wait for the minivan's owner to come out.

In about five or ten minutes, an older lady with her crippled son come out and proceed to apologize profusely. It was a very windy day, and when she opened her door, the wind took it and it slammed into the X3, obviously with a lot of force.

I told her I knew of a dentless repair place that could fix it for about $150, she pulled out two $100 bills and handed them to me. I actually gave her change and thanked her for being so cooperative. I drove home, scheduled the paintless dent removal place, and got it fixed a few days later.
      We were out of town visiting my wifes sick father in our 1 year old JSW TDI. Up at the hospital we parked next to a "Clergy Only" spot every time we came to visit, never saw a single vehicle parked there the entire weekend.

The day before we leave we come out to the car with a 4" crease in the drivers side door, no note, no vehicle in sight. Being that NOBODY else parked there I can only think some scummy church van pulled up and a pile of people came out of the car, whamming our door in the process. It was also VERY WINDY that weekend.. but I hope the occupants of that van burn in a special place in hell.

Insurance cut us a check for around $450 (after $250 uninsured motorist deduction) to get the door repaired. We never did, sadly. Sold the vehicle 3 weeks ago... all the dealers were making such a stink over the dent too. Pissed me off every time I saw it.

Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      05-11-2012 07:36 PM #23
      typical america!

How about DON'T OPEN DOOR LIKE A MONKEY ON CRACK? That way you don't hit the car next to you? It only takes couple of seconds to check and see how close you are to another car.
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

24. 05-11-2012 07:46 PM #24
      I do what I have done before.

Call 911 and report a hit and run.
      "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

25. 05-11-2012 07:47 PM #25
      typical america!
      you guys realize that in EVERY other country .
      There are plenty of nations where women have almost zero rights, and public beheadings is accepted.

I choose to live to a different standard.
      "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

Vehicles
      06 Legacy GT Wagon
      05-11-2012 07:47 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by JLJetta View Post
      I do what I have done before.

Call 911 and report a hit and run.

I call the non emergency number, which is 311 for this sort of thing. Obviously it's not an emergency for a door ding unless they are presently fleeing as you are calling.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Honda DX90, 99 Corolla 1.3i
      05-11-2012 08:16 PM #27
      A lady ran her shopping car into my Golf and ran a big ole gouge down the side and never broke stride. I was sitting in the car when this happened. After confronting her I pulled out my phone and she pretty let me know she didn't care what happened and that she was walking away. I got her plate, and her insurance refused to do anything about it either. They said it wasn't worth the money, so I rang the police, and the same story. I stopped taking that car to the store after that.

Vehicles
      06 Legacy GT Wagon
      05-11-2012 08:18 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Lee View Post
      A lady ran her shopping car into my Golf and ran a big ole gouge down the side and never broke stride. I was sitting in the car when this happened. After confronting her I pulled out my phone and she pretty let me know she didn't care what happened and that she was walking away. I got her plate, and her insurance refused to do anything about it either. They said it wasn't worth the money, so I rang the police, and the same story. I stopped taking that car to the store after that.
      Next time get her plate number and file a police report even if the police don't want to be bothered with it. Maybe that'll help coax insurance along.

29. 05-11-2012 08:21 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by UnitedGTI. View Post
      this might be coming from a bad place but let cut that N*****s nuts off!
      4 real?
      No Longer : -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=-

Vehicles
      SE and JP x 2
      05-11-2012 08:40 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilHVW View Post

By contrast, about 10 years ago I was waiting in the bank parking lot while a friend was at the ATM. Little old lady parks her Chrysler K car in front of me and enters the bank. While she's in there, a couple come out of the bank arguing and return to their Escalade that was parked next to the old lady. Out of spite/general bitchiness, the wife swings the the Escalade door open as hard as she can. Of course, it puts a big dent in the old lady's car. And they drive off.

I wait for the old lady to get back, who immediately notices the dent. The Escalade had a vanity plate, so it was easy to remember. I gave the info to the lady, as well as mine in case she needed a witness. A few days later the cops came by for a statement. Never heard anything more after that, but sure hope justice was served.

31. 05-11-2012 08:45 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by ptem View Post
      By contrast, about 10 years ago I was waiting in the bank parking lot while a friend was at the ATM. Little old lady parks her Chrysler K car in front of me and enters the bank. While she's in there, a couple come out of the bank arguing and return to their Escalade that was parked next to the old lady. Out of spite/general bitchiness, the wife swings the the Escalade door open as hard as she can. Of course, it puts a big dent in the old lady's car. And they drive off.

I wait for the old lady to get back, who immediately notices the dent. The Escalade had a vanity plate, so it was easy to remember. I gave the info to the lady, as well as mine in case she needed a witness. A few days later the cops came by for a statement. Never heard anything more after that, but sure hope justice was served.
      Probably arguing about how they have no money and can't afford the payment on their baller ass escalade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2011 A4
      2004 Jetta Wagon

Vehicles
      87 Fox GL, 90 Audi 90 Quattro, 93 Passat VR6, 97 Jetta GT, 07 Passat 2.0T
      05-11-2012 08:56 PM #32
      I normally park away for the general population in lots. My gym lot can get crowded however so often someone winds up parking next to me. This was the only time I actually caught someone hitting my car with their door. I'm leaving the gym, he's just arriving. Older guy in a red mid-life crisis mobile hits my silver passenger door and leaves large red mark. He exits vehicle, pretends to not notice and engages me in small talk. I walk around to passenger side and see red mark and proceed to turn a shade of red myself. Lucky for him I had some car care supplies in my trunk. Pulled them out and it buffed right out. So no harm, no foul in the end.

05-11-2012 08:56 PM #33
      typical america!

2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

Vehicles
      04 R32
      05-11-2012 08:59 PM #34
      He is not doing anything wrong it's called park by feel.
      Heart pumping antifreeze as I stand here.

Lloyd Banks

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      05-11-2012 09:00 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by ThreadBomber View Post
      Except that the windshield thing is an accident 99.9% of the time, and the dings are preventable 99.9% of the time.

I just park in the middle of nowhere and walk an extra few steps
      I find that a lot of times someone will still park in the spot next to yours. Even if you're on the far end of the lot.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast