Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: different size bleeder valves?

1. 05-11-2012 07:24 PM #1
      My 89 Jetta GL is getting new front pads and bled with my new motive power bleeder.
      Anyway my problem is that i searched and found out the bleeder size is supposed to be 7mm all around and I go out and buy a 7mm box wrench, jack up the car and wth? the front brake bleeders are huge like a 11mm or 7/16 socket size. Is this normal? the drums are 7mm so what gives?
      Last edited by dubscientist; 05-11-2012 at 07:38 PM.

2. 05-11-2012 08:20 PM #2
      What size brakes are on the car, the stock 9.4" or maybe GLi/MK3 10.1"?

If you've got big fat bleeder chances are they're 10mm. I know that VW used different versions of the Girling54(10.1"/11.0") calipers, some with 7mm bleeders and some with 10mm. It's also possible you have aftermarket calipers with larger bleeders or even that someone drilled out the bleeders to a larger size at some point.
      VW Engineers design things so that no one else can work on them. GM engineers design things so that everyone has to work on them.

3. 05-11-2012 08:43 PM #3
      I have 9.4inch solid discs up front. I tried the 10mm that came with the car(in the jack holder), I figured it odd so i pulled out the socket set. 11mm is the size i triple checked.