Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Slight whirling noise when in gear no load...

1. Member
      05-11-2012 11:50 PM #1
      So today I got to 800+ miles and when I'm coasting in gear... When I get it to the point (by the gas pedal) where the transmission is not loaded so you can slide out of gear...(you guys that understand power shifting know what I am talking about...) I hear a whirling noise.... Whoo-Whoo-Whoo- etc... Anyone else get this? I hear it sounds near the clutch (guesstimating since its near the front/dashboard)

Please someone tell me this is normal.... I would have to drive it another 500 or so miles to get home.

No mods, started trip with about 300 miles... Did not use cruise control.. Varied speed around 60-90 mph to keep the rpms moving since there isn't a lot of mileage here...

Idk what else to say... This is really bugging me... Never launched the car... And I did search, only results I got was from other parts of the forums saying wheel bearing...

2. Member
      05-12-2012 10:28 AM #2
      It's more of a squeaking noise...

3. Member
      05-13-2012 12:08 AM #3
      I kinda feel it's a pilot bearing, pretty upsetting. I will send my car to vw middle of next week.... Let u guys know in case something similar pops up...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/Golf R
      05-14-2012 08:42 AM #4
      I think I have the same noise but mine is when I can hear mine when sitting neutral and the radio is off, so I dunno
      Current Car - 2012 Rising Blue VW Golf R
      Revo Stage 1

Old Cars - 2007 CW GTI, 2001 Gold GTI, 92 Eagle Talon

5. Member
      05-16-2012 12:08 PM #5
      dropped my car off at the dealer... apparently alignments aren't covered under warranty??

I hope they get to the bottom of this noise.. my heart is a little broken from this drama. lol

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, CSG, 4dr
      05-16-2012 02:33 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MichaelRB View Post
      I think I have the same noise but mine is when I can hear mine when sitting neutral and the radio is off, so I dunno
      Your issue sounds kind of like mine, which I posted about in another thread HERE.

Definitely get it checked out soon.... hopefully it isn't the same issue!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      05-16-2012 02:54 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by chramiji View Post
      dropped my car off at the dealer... apparently alignments aren't covered under warranty??

I hope they get to the bottom of this noise.. my heart is a little broken from this drama. lol
      Alignments are under warranty, I think its for the first 12,000 miles or so. I've heard this info is even in the owners manual but I haven't found it yet. My dealer tried to pull that crap on me, eventually they put it on the rack and two parameters were out of factory spec which deems the vehicle unsafe to drive! A brand new car!!! Needless to say they "warrantied" it.

Back to the original intent of this post. My car makes a similar noise, I have been noticing it in the last 500 or so miles. I'd like to think I just didn't hear it before and its always been there but I don't know. I agree that it sounds like a pilot or throwout bearing.

8. Member
      05-17-2012 01:28 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Alignments are under warranty, I think its for the first 12,000 miles or so. I've heard this info is even in the owners manual but I haven't found it yet. My dealer tried to pull that crap on me, eventually they put it on the rack and two parameters were out of factory spec which deems the vehicle unsafe to drive! A brand new car!!! Needless to say they "warrantied" it.

Back to the original intent of this post. My car makes a similar noise, I have been noticing it in the last 500 or so miles. I'd like to think I just didn't hear it before and its always been there but I don't know. I agree that it sounds like a pilot or throwout bearing.
      Oh wow, I'm going to check my papers to find that warranty inclusion list. And going to slap them with it. If they try to make me pay I'm gonna call VWoA and bitch about everything... I been nice so far about all the imperfection of the car.

9. Member
      05-21-2012 12:22 PM #9
      Anyway they can't find anything, a second trip is coming up... I don't get how techs cannot find a consistent noise... It's not intermittent.

10. Member
      06-15-2012 01:07 PM #10
      So just a little update. My cars been at the dealer for a week. They had an engineer down there twice and deemed the clutch and flywheel to be the issue. I still think the pilot bearing is the cause but whatever we will see what happens...

It may have been my mistake but originally they asked if I needed rental. And honestly no I don't want to pay for a rental car but suddenly now they have a rental at enterprise waiting for me. I don't know if that means they are providing me a car or what. Mercedes call it a loaner. Lol.

11. Member
      06-26-2012 06:39 PM #11
      Waiting for a flywheel from Germany. .:R for Repairs :'(

12. Member
      07-11-2012 12:44 PM #12
      Update! I got my car back. They replaced the clutch, flywheel, and bolts. The noise is still there although less pronounce. Apparently vw engineers worked on my car and not the dealer techs. The engineer told the service advisor that the remaining noise was present even on another new car he drove.

Dealer service advisor offered me to go test drive their new R they have at the shop to see if the noise is present.

I'm still not convinced that my car should have this whirling squeaking noise. So I'll probably head over on Friday to see if I can take their R for a short drive.

13. Member
      07-23-2012 08:05 PM #13
      Car is back in the shop.

14. Member
      07-26-2012 10:40 PM #14
      Most probably for trans and diff replacement. Well the Dealer contacted VWoA for approval.

15. Member
      08-20-2012 03:50 PM #15
      Transmission replacement resolved the issue. For anyone that still cares. They claimed it was a bearing going out the door.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 .:R RB
      08-20-2012 03:57 PM #16
      Scary... thx for the updates! Hopefully you don't have any problems from here on out.
      2013 R RB - HPA Stage 1 - HPA Comp Controller - HPA Red 75A Motor Mount - HPA Short Shifter - 42DD Shifter Bushings - TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings - TyrolSport Deadset Rigid Subframe Collar Kit - Carbotech Bobcat 1521 (Daily) - Carbotech XP12/XP8 (Track) - Unibrace UB - Euro Springs

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, CSG, 4dr
      11-19-2012 02:59 PM #17
      You probably had one of the bad transmissions. My understanding is a whole batch of defective transmissions made it into production and is a problem across models. My R got 2 bad transmissions - at the factory and the replacement. Getting a new one now, which is a revised build.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

18. 04-28-2013 10:59 PM #18
      Damn this sounds like my issue!!