Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: i add .5 liter every 5,000 miles to my 01m, have been for last 50,000 miles

1. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Jetta 2.0 Automatic
      05-12-2012 10:11 AM #1
      Every 5,000 miles or so my 01m starts shifting very hard whenever i am moving from idle while on an upward incline.

I add half a liter through the filler cap and it goes away. I replaced by filter and gasket and that helped, but the problem came back 5-10,000 miles later. Anyone had something similar?

Where is the ATF going?

Also, i'd love to put a dipstick on this thing, is this worth it?

05-14-2012 03:53 PM #2
      Check your coolant, is it mixing,

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      05-14-2012 04:36 PM #3
      Lost fluid is either a leak or mixing...

Dipstick isn't worth it. Just fix the leak.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

4. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Jetta 2.0 Automatic
      05-14-2012 04:51 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      Lost fluid is either a leak or mixing...

Dipstick isn't worth it. Just fix the leak.
      It is a very small leak whatever it is. My coolant LOOKS ok. I'm replacing a leaky coolant flange this weekend, but that is another issue.

My transmission cooler was replaced 50,000 miles ago, but this small leak continues. What are other common leaks for the 01M?

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      96 Jetta 2.0 Auto, 2000 Jetta 1.8t Auto
      05-15-2012 05:04 PM #5
      it is at the base of the filler neck.

picture of the plug - has two o-rings **** need to be replaced every time you take on or off!

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...smission/477/2

Now to where the leak realy is --- that plug goes onto a plastic filler neck that is 1 to 2 inches long, at the opposit end, there are more o-rings.....

go to a vw dealer and ask them to look up the picture for the filler neck/tube and it will show an o-ring at its base. probably 15 - 20 dollars for the new tube and o - ring..... very cheap compared to blowing up your tranny cause you keep driving without fluid.......

if your car is 15 years old, chances are that o-ring is worn dry and shot, might as well buy the new filler neck and o ring...... 20 dollars or a new tranny for 1000 or more?????

also if your not using a tourque wrench when you put your tranny pan back on, you might have stripped a thread on one or two bolts and the pan is not completely tight.... use tourque wrench like the bentley says!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Jetta 2.0 Automatic
      05-15-2012 05:28 PM #6
      Thanks this is great... I found this part blow-out assembly pic:
      http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showA...ssembly=739249

I'll grab parts 24,25,26 from the dealer and replace. I assume I should only try to replace this once the pan is down as parts might fall into the pan, right? And while I'm at that, I'll replace the gasket and filter...

How does the ATF leak through this filler tube area, when it sits on top of the housing?