VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Mazda CX5

1. Member
      Vehicles
      N54
      05-13-2012 12:27 AM #1
      I am not a car journalist by any stretch, but here is my take on the Mazda CX5 for what its worth.

Wife had a list like this:

Find me a SUV/CUVwith Xenons, AWD, backup camera and 25 MPG on average for < $30K. I know she is crazy.

Stumbled on this car as it checks all of the boxes.

Drove down and test drove it, holy **** it actually looks the part too, very sharp looking car.

Seats, dash, trimmings, its all good, but not Audi great. Seats are very comfortable, but sporty. It's a combination between luxury and typical Mazda. Red stitching everywhere, decent leather, lots of piano black trim.

Steering is very quick for a car on stilts. Dare I say a little confidence inspiring. Feels planted but overall grip isn't up to how quick the initial reactions are. Quick turn in, but not a sports car. High center of gravity and skinny 19" tires.

Has good compromise between sport and comfort. Ride is on the firm side, but not harsh. Rough surfaces upset smooth ride. Great feedback for a car like this.

Brakes. Doesn't take much pedal travel, responsive. Good bite but decent stopping power.

Engine. Adequate is the key word. Will not plant anyone back in their seat. Flows with traffic. Want to drive like a douche and pass 3 cars on a double yellow. Nope. Torque is ok. Has decent mid-range and can get up and go a little bit, but not a highway monster by any stretch. It's all about fuel economy and sharp reflexes (for a 3300 lb CUV)

Transmission is kind of fun. Key is that it's geared for economy. 65 MPH at 2500 RPM, put foot down a bit and it won't downshift right away. Will try to speed up without downshifting. Constantly tries to maximize gas mileage no matter what basically. It's fun to get good gas mileage. Easy to get 30 + on the highway.

Looks. Kind of cool looking for a CUV. Kind of almost take a second look. Nice lines.

If you live your life a 1/4 mile a time and need to drive like a douche, move on. If you want a stylish roomy CUV with Dual Xenon Adaptive HID's ( really nice touch, very sharp and cool to watch them rotate 15 degrees as you turn the wheel ), sharp steering, Bluetooth, blind spot monitoring, heated mirrors/seats, satellite radio, etc etc etc this car might be for you.

We paid $29.6k for a Grand touring with tech pkg. Appears to get better than 25/31 for the AWD A/T too. I can't believe it, but I actually like it and did a double take when we parked it tonight after a long day picking her up.

Mazda has an absolute hit if only people can get past the fact its not a powerhouse. Very impressed and shocked I care this much to spend 15 minutes and write a review on it.

Vehicles
      a 1966 air cooled VW
      05-13-2012 12:36 AM #2
      Great review, glad it was so easy for you to find something that appeases the wife. It really is a great package, the exterior and interior design are excellent in my opinion, as is the price and 31 mpg highway with AWD. If Mazda would only offer a turbo option, I think it could be probably the best CUV in its class. It doesn't have to be outrageous or MS3 levels of power, just enough for that pleasant little burst of acceleration/passing power when you want it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

Vehicles
      Sonic RS
      05-13-2012 12:36 AM #3
      Looks sharp in white

Trying to convince my brother to get one for his wife. They will probably end up in a CRV though...

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-13-2012 12:49 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      If Mazda would only offer a turbo option.

A turbo would completely ruin the sky-g's long exhaust header to remove heat design.
      So I would say that's not even possible.

But a turbo diesel engine is possible.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

05-13-2012 12:50 AM #5
      I was building one of these online and I couldn't believe how "inexpensive" it is for the entire deal. The CX-5 is a really great package for anyone.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-13-2012 12:57 AM #6
      Your experiences with the CX5 basically sum up my own experience with it. I thought it was a great vehicle overall.

Amazing value for money.

Vehicles
      a 1966 air cooled VW
      05-13-2012 01:03 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post

A turbo would completely ruin the sky-g's long exhaust header to remove heat design.

well you're right about that, so in that case stick the DISI right in there

I hope Mazda does make good on a diesel, in cars like this, for north America. It would really give them a unique offering, something for other carmakers to aspire to, even dare I say....VW.
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-13-2012 01:34 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      well you're right about that, so in that case stick the DISI right in there
      Well, I do remember reading that the Sky-g could/would be made up to 2.5 liters.
      So that is probably a 25% boost in horsepower and torque over the 2.0.
      155 HP / 150 LB-FT versus 193 HP / 187 LB-FT.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      05-13-2012 01:46 AM #9
      Nice review, pretty much spot on (based on my observations). I have one too

10. Member
      Vehicles
      N54
      05-13-2012 09:10 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
      Looks sharp in white

Trying to convince my brother to get one for his wife. They will probably end up in a CRV though...
      I think that is Mazda's biggest obstacle with this car. Toyota and Honda brand recognition and trust. But I did see a lot of traffic to the Cx-5 when we where at the dealership..

Can't go wrong I guess, but the CRV is just so boring in comparison.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI S, 2006 Miata Sport
      05-13-2012 10:09 AM #11
      Great looking car. Wish I could talk my wife into one of these next time out. Pathfinders are nice but 17mpg is not.

My local dealer has three manual CX-5s. Dreaming of one in dark blue with RallyArmor mudflaps.
      2015 GTI S | 2006 Miata Sport | 2006 Jetta 2.0T | 2002 Impreza 2.5TS | 1993 Sentra SE-R | 1987 Subaru GL wagon
      dj Lord Bass on Facebook. Stream the new mix Turkey Techno II

12. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      05-13-2012 10:33 AM #12
      I hope these things will depreciate as rapidly as CX-7s.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      05-13-2012 10:36 AM #13
      I bought one too (Gray Touring Bose).

Vehicles
      Sonic RS
      05-13-2012 11:06 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by unintended acceleration View Post
      I think that is Mazda's biggest obstacle with this car. Toyota and Honda brand recognition and trust. But I did see a lot of traffic to the Cx-5 when we where at the dealership..

Can't go wrong I guess, but the CRV is just so boring in comparison.
      I agree. My sister-in-law does have a Protege with over 150,000 miles on it though, so there's a chance. I know when I bought my 3 they were running a $500 rebate for current Mazda owners. Couple that with the lower MSRP comparing base AWD models, and maybe they'll end up in the 5.

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-13-2012 11:20 AM #15
      And the stupid thing- Mazda used to have a really loyal suv fan base with the old rear drive/4x4 MPV.
      But then they went with the front wheel drive MPV for 2000 and lot off al them, only to go back to the cute ute formula after the MPV died.
      I still see the old rear drive/4x4 MPVs running around.

-and I think Hyundai's success shows that owners are open to buying new stuff if the product and price are good enough. Maybe Mazda should up their standard warranty.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      05-13-2012 11:55 AM #16
      my cousin just had a baby, traded in his Scion tC for this. haven't talked to him yet but he is a car guy and on a budget. i'd say this fits the bill perfectly. Although I do love my Outback I wouldn't mind having one of these as a second grocery getter.

Vehicles
      2.0 for commuting, 5.0 for lolz
      05-13-2012 12:00 PM #17
      Nice write-up Thanks for the shot of the cargo area too, it's the first one I've seen where I can get a good idea of its size. It's roomier than I thought, especially considering how many CUVs are trending towards sloping rear rooflines that compromise cargo space.

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 07 Honda Fit
      05-13-2012 12:06 PM #18
      Find me a SUV/CUVwith Xenons, AWD, backup camera and 25 MPG on average for < $30K. I know she is crazy.
      Did you consider the Kia Sportage? You could get everything but the HIDs for less money.

It's about the same size as the Mazda, with only a smidge less back seat and cargo space.

If you're willing to sacrifice a little MPG, the Sportage SX can be had with 105 more HP at about the same price you paid for your Grand Touring.

I think the CX-5 is an attractive package. These SUVs are present in my mind as a potential replacement for my Element.

Personally, I have grown tired of driving the Element with only 160hp and feeling like I never have enough power to accelerate or pass on the highway. The place where I work is an industrial park just off a divided four-lane highway, and accelerating onto the road with 18-wheelers bearing down on you doing 70 is a white-knuckle experience. So the Sportage SX is high on my list.

If Mazda would offer a turbo engine for the CX-5, I would be VERY interested, because I do really like the looks of it.

Keep us posted on how your CX-5 ownership goes.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R Stage 3, 2010 Golf daily beater
      05-13-2012 12:10 PM #19
      i am a sales manager at a Mazda dealership and we sell these as soon as they come off of the truck!

the dealership i work for has a Kia, Honda, Ford, Mazda, Lincoln, Acura, GMC, Cadillac and Mercedes benz all within a 1/4 mile of each other. i must say the the Mazda CX-5 is one of the nicest CUV's that is on the road. it has 10 times more "soul" than the CRV and much better cargo space and better fuel economy than the Kia Sportage

give me 100 of these bad boys and id sell 100 cars this week alone

good job mazda:thumb up:

we should be getting the 2013 Escape in any day now so that should be a great comparison.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      N54
      05-13-2012 12:29 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
      Did you consider the Kia Sportage? You could get everything but the HIDs for less money.

It's about the same size as the Mazda, with only a smidge less back seat and cargo space.

If you're willing to sacrifice a little MPG, the Sportage SX can be had with 105 more HP at about the same price you paid for your Grand Touring.

I think the CX-5 is an attractive package. These SUVs are present in my mind as a potential replacement for my Element.

Personally, I have grown tired of driving the Element with only 160hp and feeling like I never have enough power to accelerate or pass on the highway. The place where I work is an industrial park just off a divided four-lane highway, and accelerating onto the road with 18-wheelers bearing down on you doing 70 is a white-knuckle experience. So the Sportage SX is high on my list.

If Mazda would offer a turbo engine for the CX-5, I would be VERY interested, because I do really like the looks of it.

Keep us posted on how your CX-5 ownership goes.

Gas mileage isn't overly important financially, but I still think it is a huge factor. Averaging 29 MPG over the first 100 miles so far.

I really won't buy a new car without HID's, I really am a snob about lighting. My 10 year old sports car has them, so I would feel jipped buying a new car without them. I guess I have gotten so used to them, that when I drive at night without them I don't feel right and I missing something.

The car in the big picture just works for us, but I could see if you needed good highway acceleration this car wouldn't cut it.

Believe me, we traded in her RDX for this car. The RDX runs to 60 in like 6.5 seconds so it's a huge change in that respect. But, for most of our driving it is just keeping up with traffic on local roads / local highways and 250 HP isn't needed.

Maybe the diesel will help ( if it ever comes stateside ) a little for those that want better highway passing power.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-13-2012 12:41 PM #21
      The car in the big picture just works for us, but I could see if you needed good highway acceleration this car wouldn't cut it.
      That's the thing that makes me think hard about this one. We're totally in the market for an AWD car with decent fuel economy for my wife and I to share, mostly because she has a highway commute that's hairy in the snow, and an efficient but spacious car for skiing, future kids and so forth makes sense. But at 11,000 feet, 150hp is closer to about 90, and my 4Runner has spoiled me for not having to flog it like a cheap mule on mountain grade. The CX-5 is more appealing, but the Escape's turbo would make it a stronger mountain car, and unfortunately that might make the decision for us.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 05-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      MkV R32, Focus Electric
      05-13-2012 12:45 PM #22
      \

Holy crap, flat nose is FLAT!
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

23. 05-13-2012 12:48 PM #23
      Anyone know what kinda lease deals are out there on these?

My mom needs a winter car and she would want it exactly like the one in the OP. Seems like alot of women have that same criteria.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      05-13-2012 12:55 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post

Turbos add heat, so the whole SkyActiv concept would get thrown out the window. I'd love to see a turbo with 220hp, hell Mazda could even downsize the displacement, something tells me it'd get mileage pretty close to what the CX5 has now. With that said, a diesel would be awesome as well, and would/could be the mileage champ. Too mad no AWD/manual combo...
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      05-13-2012 12:56 PM #25
      The CX-5 is on my radar screen to collapse my 2003 Mountaineer and 2007 GTI down to one 30 mpg AWD car. I'm not planning to buy for another year so I haven't started test driving yet.

I need to try the experiment of seeing if I can drive it with ski boots. All winter, I boot up in my condo and drive 2 miles to my parking spot with the SUV. I can drive the GTI with ski boots (barely). It's a key feature for me. I also need to see if my skis fit inside without bashing into my right elbow.

I'm with you on Xenons. Once you've had them, you can never go back. Ditto heated seats and a sun roof.

I want the loaded car but I really don't want the 19" wheels, the NAV, or the rear camera. I also wish it had the Ford feature of the combination lock on the outside door frame so I can lock the keys in the car and go skiing.

Vehicles
      13 Outback SAP / 14 Accord Sport
      05-13-2012 01:06 PM #26
      I want to like the cx-5 so badly. I love the size, the look, and the pricing. I drove a base 6-spd and there was just something off about it. It had a firm ride and handled well, which I liked. The interior was just meh. I think what did it in was how it had to be poked and prodded to accelerate at even a moderate pace. My 3.6R felt like a rocket ship by comparison.
      Past: 04 EP3, 05 Taco, 10 CC, 04 & 12 WRX, 06 STI, 13 Pilot

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      05-13-2012 01:34 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dub View Post
      My 3.6R felt like a rocket ship by comparison.
      You are missing the point. This vehicle is supposed to be basic transportation in the form of a CUV, not a super SUV/truck. Wrapped with good fuel consumption (and a newer platform for SkyActiv), the CX5 is a great small CUV with some nice basic features.

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      05-13-2012 03:29 PM #28
      What engine does it have then?
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

29. Member
      Vehicles
      N54
      05-13-2012 07:19 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dub View Post
      I want to like the cx-5 so badly. I love the size, the look, and the pricing. I drove a base 6-spd and there was just something off about it. It had a firm ride and handled well, which I liked. The interior was just meh. I think what did it in was how it had to be poked and prodded to accelerate at even a moderate pace. My 3.6R felt like a rocket ship by comparison.
      If you cannot get over the fact that the car offers a lot besides sheer power, you will not appreciate it. If you need a car with big power it's not for you.

Also, interior is just meh? And you drive a Subaru? haha good one! That has to be a joke.

I drive fairly calm and so does my wife so.... I'm not trying to race people to and from work/grocery store.

I will say that speed is all relative. Go drive a C6 Vette for an hour, then hop back in your 3.6R and your 3.6R will feel like a complete dog.

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2008 silver family thing
      05-13-2012 07:28 PM #30
      If you cannot get over the fact that the car offers a lot besides sheer power, you will not appreciate it. If you need a car with big power it's not for you.

Also, interior is just meh? And you drive a Subaru? haha good one! That has to be a joke.

I drive fairly calm and so does my wife so.... I'm not trying to race people to and from work/grocery store.

I will say that speed is all relative. Go drive a C6 Vette for an hour, then hop back in your 3.6R and your 3.6R will feel like a complete dog.
      The fact that CR labels the CRV as having good power compared to the CX-5 says a ton. It sounds to me that this is slower than the old 4at civics, based on the instrumented tests I've seen, and that is unacceptable.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-13-2012 07:32 PM #31
      As much as I loathe looks of CUVs, I think CX-5 looks absolutely faaaantastic!

Now, if Mazda could push this design down to Mazda 3 and 6, they'd have a very good looking lineup.

My understanding that CX-5s are all sold out in Australia for the next 8 months or so.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

32. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-13-2012 08:14 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      As much as I loathe looks of CUVs, I think CX-5 looks absolutely faaaantastic!

Now, if Mazda could push this design down to Mazda 3 and 6, they'd have a very good looking lineup.
      The Kodo design is going to be the Mazda design language across the lineup.

My understanding that CX-5s are all sold out in Australia for the next 8 months or so.

And Australia's economy is one that survived the bank/real estate fallout without a recession.
      So there was no pent up demand for new vehicles (like in the US).

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3 GT - True Red
      05-13-2012 08:28 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      based on the instrumented tests I've seen, and that is unacceptable.
      10 seconds to 100 is unacceptable, wow we live in a demanding society

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      05-13-2012 09:01 PM #34

Not everyone wants to agree with you on the CX-5. I watched you flame anyone who said anything negative about it in the "CX-5 impressions" thread including me. I will say I agree with some of the negative comments here. If you don't want people to express their opinion, maybe you shouldn't be posting on a public internet forum. This is a place for discussion of cars and not everyone is going to agree. It really seems like you just posted this whole thread to try and justify your decision for purchasing a $30k jacked up econobox, and when anyone says something different they must be wrong.

I actually test drove the CX-5 and didn't like it, guess it just wasn't for me. And please, go ahead and tell me why I'm so wrong again.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      05-13-2012 09:19 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      And please, go ahead and tell me why I'm so wrong again.
      Because you're wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast