VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Mazda CX5

1. Member
      Vehicles
      A Goddess of automobile driving
      05-13-2012 01:06 PM #26
      I want to like the cx-5 so badly. I love the size, the look, and the pricing. I drove a base 6-spd and there was just something off about it. It had a firm ride and handled well, which I liked. The interior was just meh. I think what did it in was how it had to be poked and prodded to accelerate at even a moderate pace. My 3.6R felt like a rocket ship by comparison.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      05-13-2012 01:34 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dub View Post
      My 3.6R felt like a rocket ship by comparison.
      You are missing the point. This vehicle is supposed to be basic transportation in the form of a CUV, not a super SUV/truck. Wrapped with good fuel consumption (and a newer platform for SkyActiv), the CX5 is a great small CUV with some nice basic features.

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      05-13-2012 03:29 PM #28
      What engine does it have then?
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi S4
      05-13-2012 07:19 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dub View Post
      I want to like the cx-5 so badly. I love the size, the look, and the pricing. I drove a base 6-spd and there was just something off about it. It had a firm ride and handled well, which I liked. The interior was just meh. I think what did it in was how it had to be poked and prodded to accelerate at even a moderate pace. My 3.6R felt like a rocket ship by comparison.
      If you cannot get over the fact that the car offers a lot besides sheer power, you will not appreciate it. If you need a car with big power it's not for you.

Also, interior is just meh? And you drive a Subaru? haha good one! That has to be a joke.

I drive fairly calm and so does my wife so.... I'm not trying to race people to and from work/grocery store.

I will say that speed is all relative. Go drive a C6 Vette for an hour, then hop back in your 3.6R and your 3.6R will feel like a complete dog.

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2008 silver family thing
      05-13-2012 07:28 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by unintended acceleration View Post
      If you cannot get over the fact that the car offers a lot besides sheer power, you will not appreciate it. If you need a car with big power it's not for you.

Also, interior is just meh? And you drive a Subaru? haha good one! That has to be a joke.

I drive fairly calm and so does my wife so.... I'm not trying to race people to and from work/grocery store.

I will say that speed is all relative. Go drive a C6 Vette for an hour, then hop back in your 3.6R and your 3.6R will feel like a complete dog.
      The fact that CR labels the CRV as having good power compared to the CX-5 says a ton. It sounds to me that this is slower than the old 4at civics, based on the instrumented tests I've seen, and that is unacceptable.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-13-2012 07:32 PM #31
      As much as I loathe looks of CUVs, I think CX-5 looks absolutely faaaantastic!

Now, if Mazda could push this design down to Mazda 3 and 6, they'd have a very good looking lineup.

My understanding that CX-5s are all sold out in Australia for the next 8 months or so.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      05-13-2012 08:14 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      As much as I loathe looks of CUVs, I think CX-5 looks absolutely faaaantastic!

Now, if Mazda could push this design down to Mazda 3 and 6, they'd have a very good looking lineup.
      The Kodo design is going to be the Mazda design language across the lineup.

My understanding that CX-5s are all sold out in Australia for the next 8 months or so.

And Australia's economy is one that survived the bank/real estate fallout without a recession.
      So there was no pent up demand for new vehicles (like in the US).
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      05-13-2012 08:28 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      based on the instrumented tests I've seen, and that is unacceptable.
      10 seconds to 100 is unacceptable, wow we live in a demanding society

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      05-13-2012 09:01 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by unintended acceleration View Post

Not everyone wants to agree with you on the CX-5. I watched you flame anyone who said anything negative about it in the "CX-5 impressions" thread including me. I will say I agree with some of the negative comments here. If you don't want people to express their opinion, maybe you shouldn't be posting on a public internet forum. This is a place for discussion of cars and not everyone is going to agree. It really seems like you just posted this whole thread to try and justify your decision for purchasing a $30k jacked up econobox, and when anyone says something different they must be wrong.

I actually test drove the CX-5 and didn't like it, guess it just wasn't for me. And please, go ahead and tell me why I'm so wrong again.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      05-13-2012 09:19 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      And please, go ahead and tell me why I'm so wrong again.
      Because you're wrong.

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2008 silver family thing
      05-13-2012 10:43 PM #36
      Not everyone wants to agree with you on the CX-5. I watched you flame anyone who said anything negative about it in the "CX-5 impressions" thread including me. I will say I agree with some of the negative comments here. If you don't want people to express their opinion, maybe you shouldn't be posting on a public internet forum. This is a place for discussion of cars and not everyone is going to agree. It really seems like you just posted this whole thread to try and justify your decision for purchasing a $30k jacked up econobox, and when anyone says something different they must be wrong.

I actually test drove the CX-5 and didn't like it, guess it just wasn't for me. And please, go ahead and tell me why I'm so wrong again.
      HIDs = luxury and therefore worthy of $30k, didn't you get the memo?
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      05-13-2012 10:57 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      Not going to lie... but the CX5 looks like a Hyundai, inside and out.
      I don't blame you, since you are clearly blind. The BMW badge makes up for this POS right?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      05-13-2012 10:58 PM #38

And you drive a tarted-up Nissan s*it box.. Are you seriously resorting to this now? You've made your point you don't like the CX5 as a total package, now get lost

Blog Entries
      05-13-2012 11:02 PM #39
      Funny that I would come across this after another night of cardio/tire-kicking calorie burn..

I came across one of these and the first impression was "that's hawt". It's like a scaled down X-5 doing everything a CUV should be doing. Am already interested in a test-drive, and as with other comments - the Mrs is actually all for checking it out.

Now, could I actually pull the trigger? I still think not. But that's because I've been spoiled by larger cars. I like my knee and shoulder space. But if I were thinking of something in the hatch-back / small CUV category - this would definitely be one of the top contenders.

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      05-13-2012 11:39 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      Not going to lie... but the CX5 looks like a Hyundai, inside and out.
      Some of the lines... idk.
      When you look at what Mazda has done in the last decade, you could make an argument that Hyundai evolved some Mazda styling cues.
      Either way- it is better to be thought a new Hyundai than a something much more conservative.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      '11 TTS Coupe
      05-14-2012 01:12 AM #41
      Congrats. I think these are great looking cars. I hope Mazda does well with them. Mazda is a great value and compared to some budget Honda and Toyota offerings, they are way ahead of the rest in the styling. Our Mazda 3 had nav, heated seats, xenon hids, led tails, power everything etc etc for $22,500 with xplan pricing. The only issues we had with that car were minor cosmetic stuff. A very very small transmission leak was fixed under warranty. I was very impressed with Mazda.
      '11 TTS Coupe
      '08 A4 Avant 2.0t S-line Titanium
      '01 A4 Avant 1.8t S-line (Sold)
      '90 Coupe Quattro 20v (Sold)
      '95 "Getta" VR6 (Sold)

17. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-14-2012 07:36 AM #42
      Sat in and looked at the CX5. Didn't much like. And I'm not even sure why. The interior didn't impress me as much in person as it did in pictures.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Suzuki SX4/Porsche 944/Mazda5
      05-14-2012 08:19 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      Holy crap, flat nose is FLAT!
      My favorite styling attribute.

Like another poster said, if you're in a big rush to hurry up and wait at red lights, it's not for you.
      "Yeah, I pissed myself, but that's only because I only had 20 minutes for recess." Duane Peters

05-14-2012 09:26 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Because you're wrong.
      How can someone be wrong in stating that its not a car for them?

I am undecided until I drive this thing. To me, its taking a design cue from an X3; That said, I have not sat in one or driven one but the package looks very inviting.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-14-2012 09:31 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by 976-RADD View Post
      Like another poster said, if you're in a big rush to hurry up and wait at red lights, it's not for you.
      I think that's a little unfair. For the reasons I outlined on the last page, 150hp would be pushing it for mountain driveability for me, and that has nothing to do with "being in a big rush."
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      05-14-2012 09:44 AM #46
      I finally got a chance to sit in one of these over the weekend. I have to say that I like the interior design, but found the seats to be very firm. I'm not sure as of yet if that's good or bad until I drive one, but it was the first thing that jumped out to me---very German in that way. I like it though and it might be a nice replacement for the GF's Tucson in 5-6 years. Unless Hyundai comes out with another Tucson that she likes more or she goes for the smaller version of the upcoming Santa Fe. But it looks like a solid contender at this moment.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Suzuki SX4/Porsche 944/Mazda5
      05-14-2012 09:46 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I think that's a little unfair. For the reasons I outlined on the last page, 150hp would be pushing it for mountain driveability for me, and that has nothing to do with "being in a big rush."
      I stand corrected, in certain situations; I wouldn't want to take it over the passes either.
      "Yeah, I pissed myself, but that's only because I only had 20 minutes for recess." Duane Peters

23. 05-14-2012 09:52 AM #48
      I parked beside one of these the other day and caught myself double checking it. At first the grill threw me off, but on second glance the styling is not bad at all. The other thing I appreciate is the trunk space looks decent. Many small SUVs in this segment skimp on the rear hatch space, but this looks decent. In a year or so, I will be looking for a replacement for my pathfinder and this could fit the bill nicely. That should also give it time to work any kinks or recalls out should they appear.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi S4
      05-14-2012 09:52 AM #49

I do want people to express their opinion, that is where you are dead wrong.

There is a difference between a logical argument and someone who owns a Subaru saying the interior of this car is meh. It just sounds funny. Subaru's interiors are the epitome of meh.

I have to give it to you though, your entire rant is hilarious.

This is a public forum, so then its seems logical for me to state my opinion which has been fairly objective the entire time. You can comment about something on a public forum, but I can't respond? What kind of logic is that?

This car has flaws, just like any car under $30K. It is not for everyone. I guess you missed where I said that 3 times so far. If you don't like the car, that's cool why should I care? I don't own stock in Mazda, I don't work for Mazda and this is my wife's car.

Notice I didn't respond to the 3 or 4 other negative comments?

The point is this - I took 20 minutes of my time to post a review for people who may be interested in what I think is a pretty cool car. Nothing more, nothing less.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi S4
      05-14-2012 09:55 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post

It would go from adequate to downright slow at 10,000 feet elevation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast