Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Water leaking

1. Member
      05-13-2012 02:26 AM #1
      hey guys, yesterday i went to reach for a piece of paper that fell under the drivers seat and relized that my carpet was wet, i went to look and i had a puddle, i think i mightve gone into a small puddle that day, but it was the day after it rained, no trail for the door to the puddle either it seemed, to seep in through the bottom or somewhere else, any ideas?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      05-13-2012 09:22 AM #2
      Search "water intrusion" - a common enough problem on these cars. And a serious one, as two of the three computers that run the whole car are under the footwell carpeting. Most common leakage areas:

1. Clogged or disconnected sunroof drain tube inside the "A" pillar.
      2. Clogged drain holes in the eater plenum, under the battery or brake booster.
      3. Leaky gasket around the cabin air filter, also in the water plenum.

Virtually no chance it's coming up from the bottom. It's important you lift the carpet and dry it out ASAP, before it seeps past the seals of the comfort control or transmission control modules.

3. Member
      05-14-2012 03:44 PM #3
      what do you mean by "A" pillar, and its only wet in the back the front is completely dry.

Vehicles
      1 Sedan and 1 Wagon - both Wolfsburg's
      05-14-2012 04:07 PM #4
      Could be the rear sunroof drains?
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

5. Member
      05-14-2012 05:15 PM #5
      wher are those located?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Jag Xtype 98 Passat Variant
      05-14-2012 06:05 PM #6
      if it's under the drivers seat, make sure the rubber grommet that surrounds the hood cable is in snug. Had massive water intrusion and found that the grommet (right beside the ECU in front of the driver under the hood) had come loose and was letting water in.

It'll pool in the drivers foot well and find it's way to the rear. If it's getting to the rear, I bet you have a ton of water in the front under the carpet. As Scott said, pull the carpet and get it out before it causes any damage to the CCM.

7. Member
      05-15-2012 02:07 AM #7
      yea, the front completely dry, its just the rear

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      05-15-2012 08:15 AM #8
      Very unusual for a leak to wet just the rear carpet. It's pretty much always that the water gets in the front and moves back. The rear sunroof drains go down the "C" pillar, through the trunk, and out the rear wheel well. When they leak, it usually puts water in the trunk.

Either way, you'll have to get cracking and find it. This can cause all sorts of trouble... heck, even if its just ruining the carpet, a new carpet is $700!

Vehicles
      03 1.8t
      05-15-2012 11:11 AM #9
      so is there a certain place we can poor a cup of water towards the moonroof to see where the water comes out of? what i mean is if we suspect they MIGHT be dirty, can we catch it before something like this happens? i see ppl asking this all the time on here but never see ppl asking if we can check it before a problem occurs! where can i poor water up top to see if the drain tubes are clogged or getting clogged down low? and i have these oval grommets by the front door hinges! are these two points that drain water from the top? and one more question! im getting a new windshield installed! is there any chance that the shop might mess up these drain tubes in the A pillars? i have ZERO problems with this now and if something happens i want to know if they could have been the cause! thanx
      FMIC, Forge Hybrid splitter BOV, Motegi 17x7's in Pirelli p6, Eibach pro kit w/ sway bar, Kinetic slotted & drilled rotors, custom short throw, Glow Shift boost gauge w/ NSP steering column pod!

Vehicles
      1 Sedan and 1 Wagon - both Wolfsburg's
      05-15-2012 11:20 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by honda2vw03 View Post
      so is there a certain place we can poor a cup of water towards the moonroof to see where the water comes out of? what i mean is if we suspect they MIGHT be dirty, can we catch it before something like this happens? i see ppl asking this all the time on here but never see ppl asking if we can check it before a problem occurs! where can i poor water up top to see if the drain tubes are clogged or getting clogged down low? and i have these oval grommets by the front door hinges! are these two points that drain water from the top? and one more question! im getting a new windshield installed! is there any chance that the shop might mess up these drain tubes in the A pillars? i have ZERO problems with this now and if something happens i want to know if they could have been the cause! thanx
      Yes.

Search.
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

11. 05-15-2012 01:40 PM #11
      I had the same problem: wet carpet behind drivers seat. I traced the problem to water leaking over the back door seal on the bottom. I took my door card off, and resealed the area where the metal plate with the window motor attaches to the door. I could see the trace where the water would seep through, and then accumulate on the door step and leak over the seal. Problem solved. Also check your door drains, there are 3 or 4 on the bottom of the door.

Vehicles
      03 1.8t
      05-15-2012 02:36 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by E CODE View Post
      Yes.

Search.
      ok so i found the drain tube threads but nothing about replacing the windshield! can they possibly get messed up when they replace it or are they hidden inside the a pillar? i have bad luck when i do take my car to shops for something little so just want to make sure they cant mess anything up!
      FMIC, Forge Hybrid splitter BOV, Motegi 17x7's in Pirelli p6, Eibach pro kit w/ sway bar, Kinetic slotted & drilled rotors, custom short throw, Glow Shift boost gauge w/ NSP steering column pod!

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      05-15-2012 08:10 PM #13
      It would be difficult to do anything negative to the sunroof drains while replacing the windshield. It is, of course, possible to improperly install a windshield.

14. Member
      05-16-2012 12:32 AM #14
      ok so i checked all of my drains today all 4 on the sunroof, the one under the battery and the one under the brake booster. am missing any of other drains?, and i couldnt really get to the gommet i dont know where it is and, where are the drains on the door located?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      05-16-2012 08:26 AM #15
      The door drains aren't complicated - they're just holes in the bottom of the door, just above the pinch weld. There are four on the front doors, three on the back. Theoretically, if they all were to be blocked, water could fill the bottom of the door and run over into the cabin, past the door card. I've only heard of it happening once, when the factory waterproofing blocked all the holes.

NOTE: Like the sunroof, the doors are "wet" - meaning water routinely makes it past the window slot seals, through the door and out. A lot of cars are designed that way.

16. Member
      05-30-2012 12:45 AM #16
      so i got it cleaned up a little while ago and just cleaned everyhting i could think of to be sure even though nothing was that dirty, but its been raining a lot lately and so far so good, so idk what it was but its not affecting it now, btw does anyone know the size for the screws on the bottom of the door panels? i seem to be missing one.

17. Member
      06-10-2013 12:29 AM #17
      id hate to start a new thread over something that's been discussed already, but I cant seem to find any hints or help im leaking water on the back of the headliner mostly on the drivers side and one time it seemed like the passenger side had a bit too, seems to be dripping off the sunshade clip and left a large water mark next to it, I took off my rear bumper and checked the drains ran water through them and seemed to be clear. any ideas?

18. Member
      06-11-2013 12:10 AM #18
      Any body have any ideas, I tjough maybe the antenna but then thouht if it was the antenna the middle of the headliner would be wet too

19. Member
      06-19-2013 02:49 AM #19
      don't know if this was it but I took off the antenna and the gasket cleaned them up and tightened it all the way till I couldn't, I also unplugged the sunroof drains and reinserted them to make sure the were on there right and I haven't had water since thought id share that in case anyone else needed help in the future

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      06-19-2013 11:35 AM #20
      Good to hear. I suspect it was the sunroof drains that were causing problems; I've never heard of the antenna leaking.

21. Member
      06-19-2013 03:22 PM #21
      well the antenna gasket was a little dry and toasty, but it could've been either one the location were it was leaking compared to the drain seemed a little far but hey you never know

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      06-19-2013 04:47 PM #22
      Inner or outer gasket? The large oval gasket around the antenna base is mostly cosmetic; it's not intended to be watertight. It's the inner "plug" where the antenna wire passes through that really keeps the water out.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 1.8T 4Mo 5M
      06-19-2013 08:59 PM #23
      If you have interior water on both sides of the car, it can be tempting to guess that something in the midline would be the logical culprit: you might imagine it draining to right and left simultaneously.

Unfortunately, the frequency with which the sunroof drains clog (or window regulator panel seals fail) is high enough that the money is still with multiple of those failing at about the same time.

Don't bother asking how I know.

24. Member
      06-19-2013 10:44 PM #24
      it was the outer one the inner one still looked brand new