Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Moving arms and talking, coma patient still improving.

1. 05-13-2012 02:18 AM #1
      I know you guys hate reposts. This is an update for the members who expressed interest in the young guy beaten for complimenting rims on a Lexus. Doctors had feared he would be paralyzed and brain damaged.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/crim...wake-co/nN2j8/

PUYALLUP, Washington — The father of a man beaten outside a Puyallup bar after he complimented another man’s car said his son has woken up from a coma and may soon be on the way to a rehabilitation facility.
      James Foster remains at Tacoma General Hospital after the attack. His father, Darrell Foster, said just a couple days ago, doctors were telling him that hope for James’ recovery was dwindling.
      But then things changed.
      “Just a couple days ago, he still wasn’t moving his left hand,” Darrel said. “Yesterday, he was scratching his face, and you’re just looking at little things like that saying, ‘That’s spectacular!’”
      Darrell said James, 21, has even tried to talk.
      “He doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but every once in a while, he’ll say your name – ‘Where’s dad, where’s mom?’ – he’ll call one of his brothers or his sisters,” Darrell said.
      James was left comatose after witnesses said he complimented the rims on a car owned by Daman Lehman, 25, outside a Puyallup bar.
      Lehman has pleaded not guilty to a charge of first-degree assault. He’s out of jail on $75,000 bail. His trial has been set for late June.
      Since KIRO 7 first reported the story, the Foster family said they’ve received an outpouring of support. Darrell said he’s heard from people he’s never met who are reaching out to help James. One even repaired the family car for free after it broke down.
      In a couple weeks, there will be a car rally and a fundraiser for James. We’ll have more on that event in the coming days.
      “It’s going to be a long road, that’s what they said,” Darrell said.

Vehicles
      87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco now 16v, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v, 13' Jetta
      05-13-2012 02:43 AM #2
      Good to hear things didn't take a turn for the worst.
      Insert witty comment here.

Vehicles
      72 Bus(Sold), 87 Jetta(Sold), 98 Golf, 87 Cabby(Sold)
      05-13-2012 02:51 AM #3
      Is it me, Or am I the only one confused why this kid got his ass beat because he complimented the dudes wheels? I'm reading it right, Correct?
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      If you don't want to get shot with a crossbow, don't throw rocks at cars. It's not that complicated
      My Photography

Vehicles
      87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco now 16v, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v, 13' Jetta
      05-13-2012 02:57 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by LA57Jetta View Post
      Is it me, Or am I the only one confused why this kid got his ass beat because he complimented the dudes wheels? I'm reading it right, Correct?
      That is what the initial story was. Some believe there were other comments involved, but at the moment...yes.
      Insert witty comment here.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      05-13-2012 03:01 AM #5
      ib4tl
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      2008 Jetta 2.5, 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 5 speed (250k miles and being rebuilt), 2008 Ninja 650R
      05-13-2012 11:38 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      ib4tl

Why would this get locked and why would you care to be in before that, anyway?

So glad to see he's recovering. That dude that hit him looks like the most stereotypical Guido douchebag imaginable.
      IBEW Local 24

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      05-13-2012 11:42 AM #7
      i seriously hope the judge throws the book at him.

i don't care what words were said. it doesn't give you the right to put your hand on another person. period.

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      05-13-2012 11:48 AM #8
      Reminds me of the Giants fan who got beaten for supporting his team vs the Dodgers.

Senseless violence is scary.

Stow, 43, was attacked last March in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium. He was wearing a Giants jersey when we was punched and beaten into a coma. He suffered severe brain damage.

Vehicles
      E46 coupe
      05-13-2012 11:54 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by LA57Jetta View Post

it's a nice pen

Vehicles
      '91 Jetta GLI, '68 Beetle 'vert, '79 Cutlass Supreme
      05-13-2012 12:52 PM #10
      This is one case where I'd advocate suing the crap out of someone. I hope that kid gets a million from that douchebag. People like that should just be publicly stoned like back in the day. I saw he had a history of domestic violence too, big surprise there. Since this guy is so popular, hopefully a certain internet group will teach him a lesson.

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      05-13-2012 12:54 PM #11
      I'm glad to see he's recovering.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI Highline MT
      05-13-2012 01:48 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by GiacGtiAgain View Post

it's a nice pen
      Great film

While it seems there would be more details, given the pictures of the roidrager I'm not entirely surprised
      Current: 2012 VW Golf TDI Highline MT
      Previous: 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS MT | 2007 VW Rabbit 2.5 MT | 1997 Honda CRV

13. 05-13-2012 01:54 PM #13
      Glad to hear the good news.

Hopefully somebody is going to visit big foot in jail.

14. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-13-2012 02:03 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by bajaboyextra View Post
      Since KIRO 7 first reported the story, the Foster family said they’ve received an outpouring of support. Darrell said he’s heard from people he’s never met who are reaching out to help James. One even repaired the family car for free after it broke down.
      In a couple weeks, there will be a car rally and a fundraiser for James.
      We’ll have more on that event in the coming days.

It's nice to see car guys/gals offering support.

I can't imagine what kind of medical expenses they are dealing with.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-13-2012 02:05 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Glad to hear the good news.

Hopefully somebody is going to visit big foot in jail.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

05-13-2012 02:19 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by bajaboyextra View Post
      In a couple weeks, there will be a car rally and a fundraiser for James. We’ll have more on that event in the coming days.
      “It’s going to be a long road, that’s what they said,” Darrell said.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Cruise-and-GTG

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      05-13-2012 03:05 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by brandonwillyumz View Post

So glad to see he's recovering. That dude that hit him looks like the most stereotypical Guido douchebag imaginable.
      Because this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...limenting-rims.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

18. 05-13-2012 03:31 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      After May 3 when he opened his eyes, he took a turn for the worse. This is an update for concerned members.

19. 05-21-2012 11:28 AM #19
      http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/fami...ecovery/nN9fc/

SEATTLE — KIRO 7 Eyewitness News has learned the Puyallup man who was punched into a coma has been moved to the University of Washington Medical Center, and his family is hopeful for his recovery.

21-year-old James Foster was beaten earlier in May after commenting on the wheels of another person’s car.

Foster’s family told KIRO 7 reporter Alison Grande Saturday night that Foster is not going to be able to live the kind of life they had hoped for him.

“It’s hard, it’s really hard,” said Lisa Foster, James Foster’s stepmother. “We walked in and he asked me, ‘Lisa, take me home.’ And I can’t.”

Foster’s parents feared their son’s life and are forced to face the reality of him never being the same.

“He’ll never be that again. He was such a great kid. He is, don’t get me going,” said Darrell Foster, James Foster’s father.

Foster was outside the Cheers Bar and Grill in Puyallup when he commented on the rims on a Lexus. According to police, Daman Lehman punched him twice, which knocked Foster to the ground and hit his head on the pavement. Lehman was charged with assault.

Foster spent many days in a coma at Tacoma General Hospital.

After a series of tests, doctors determined Saturday that Foster’s brain injury is severe. An ambulance moved him to the UWMC for rehabilitation.

“He’s frustrated. He knows what he wants, but he can’t tell you what he wants,” Darrell Foster said. “He can’t do anything on his own. He’s lost 30 pounds since he’s been at the hospital.”

James Foster is learning to walk again and take care of himself.

“I have to try to stay calm, and tell him he needs to stay here and listen, and do what they’re asking him to do,” said Lisa Foster.

Next Sunday two fundraising events will be held for James Foster. Since he loves cars, both events are car-themed. One will be “The James Foster Foundation Charity Cruise” and the other is “Rollin’ for James Foster.”

20. 05-21-2012 11:40 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by brandonwillyumz View Post

Yea people who say that and don't add anything useful to the thread are like those people who pride themselves on being the first to comment on something on YouTube, etc by saying "First."

I can't believe that this is the entire story. SOMETHING must have happened in addition to the wheel comment.
      Last edited by NightTrain EX; 05-21-2012 at 11:44 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

05-21-2012 11:46 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      Yea people who say that and don't add anything useful to the thread are like those people who pride themselves on being the first to comment on something on YouTube, etc by saying "First."

I can't believe that this is the entire story. SOMETHING must have happened in addition to the wheel comment.
      Nope, the guy's just a 'roid-raged jerk.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile