Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Question about Oil Temp Sender on an AEB block swap to ATW car

1. Member
      05-13-2012 10:20 AM #1
      Hey guys! So, I'm sure someone on here has done the same thing before.. AEB block swap to an ATW A4. As you may know, the oil cooler on an AEB engine has two sender ports: 1) the oil pressure sender and 2) the oil temperature. However, on an ATW, the oil temperature was moved to the oil pan level sensor (which there is no spot for on an AEB oil pan) and plugged on the oil cooler port. I converted the oil pressure switch by changing the connector, but now I need to make the oil temperature work.

Here's my question(s): First, has anyone done this before? And if so, how can I use the three wires from the oil level sensor connector on the ATW harness to give me power to the oil temperature sender on the AEB oil cooler? Can I still bridge the connection somehow to tell the computer the oil level is fine? I was thinking one wire could go to the oil temp sender and the other two could be spliced. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks! -Eric

Vehicles
      bugeye wrx, 16v 'rado, s14
      05-13-2012 11:02 AM #2
      in on this one too. i have pretty much the opposite situation, an atw engine in an aeb car. none of my oil sensors were hooked up after the swap (i bought it this way), & none of my connectors match up. one of my friends that works at integrated engineering (possibly the masters of the 1.8t), is coming over to help m e figure it out, i'll post up what i figure out
      XstraightedgeX
      DCDubs
      Quote Originally Posted by uncle_scott View Post

I love how projects spin horribly out of control.

3. 05-13-2012 11:37 AM #3
      Should have just used the ATW oil pan and plugged the extra port on the oil cooler housing.

4. Member
      05-13-2012 12:17 PM #4
      Seerlah, I would if the oil pans were mounted the same... They have a completely different shape from AEB to ATW and are not even close to interchangeable. Any other ideas? There has to be something I can do with the oil level sensor wires.
      Last edited by Melcheck; 05-13-2012 at 12:24 PM.

5. Member
      05-13-2012 12:22 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by beyondkustom View Post
      in on this one too. i have pretty much the opposite situation, an atw engine in an aeb car. none of my oil sensors were hooked up after the swap (i bought it this way), & none of my connectors match up. one of my friends that works at integrated engineering (possibly the masters of the 1.8t), is coming over to help m e figure it out, i'll post up what i figure out
      Yes, that would be awesome. I may try some things too and hopefully we can figure this out. The oil pressure was easy. Just cut the connector off and put on a female quick disconnect to push on to the AEB oil pressure sender tab. For you, you'd do the opposite of what I just said but you would need to get the connector. Oil temperature is a little trickier though..
      Last edited by Melcheck; 05-13-2012 at 12:27 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      95 vw passat GLX with corrado VR6(sold) 2000 Audi A4 1.8SBT
      05-13-2012 01:06 PM #6
      I did the complete swap in my 2000 audi a4. I have an aeb engine in place of the atw i had in my car. The atw and aeb blocks are identical and can interchange with each other to suit your car requirements. The only difference are the heads ( aeb is large port, non sai system vs the atw small port with sai). The oil pan should bolt up nicely on the aeb block.

7. Member
      05-13-2012 02:17 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by crazyalex12 View Post
      I did the complete swap in my 2000 audi a4. I have an aeb engine in place of the atw i had in my car. The atw and aeb blocks are identical and can interchange with each other to suit your car requirements. The only difference are the heads ( aeb is large port, non sai system vs the atw small port with sai). The oil pan should bolt up nicely on the aeb block.
      Thanks for your input, but I already know all of that. I just got done putting an AEB block on an ATW head myself and used the ATW wiring harness. The ATW oil pan WILL NOT fit on an AEB block.. I have both oil pans and they are completely different. If it was that easy to just switch oil pans we wouldn't be having this discussion. Like I said, the oil temperature sensor is on the oil cooler for an AEB block, and it's in the oil pan level sensor on an ATW. So, I need to figure out a way to change the wiring to work with the AEB oil temp sensor. Anyone?
      Last edited by Melcheck; 05-13-2012 at 08:14 PM.

8. Member
      05-14-2012 03:14 PM #8
      Bump! Someone has to have done this..

Vehicles
      bugeye wrx, 16v 'rado, s14
      05-14-2012 08:58 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Melcheck View Post
      Yes, that would be awesome. I may try some things too and hopefully we can figure this out. The oil pressure was easy. Just cut the connector off and put on a female quick disconnect to push on to the AEB oil pressure sender tab. For you, you'd do the opposite of what I just said but you would need to get the connector. Oil temperature is a little trickier though..
      for the oil pressure, i'm just going to swap the sensors. for the other one, i think i'm just going to have to break down & buy a bentley & look up the wire diagrams. not sure where i'm going to get the plug i need though...
      XstraightedgeX
      DCDubs
      Quote Originally Posted by uncle_scott View Post

I love how projects spin horribly out of control.

10. Member
      05-15-2012 06:31 AM #10
      Yeah I have the Bentley manual, but don't think using it in this case will help me too much. Did you and your friend ever take a look at it? What wiring harness/ECU do you have.. ATW or AEB? Not sure why those wires wouldn't be still intact on your car unless the ATW harness was reused somehow.. I'll play around with the three wires from the oil level sensor and see if I can get any oil temp readings.

11. 05-15-2012 11:12 AM #11
      Ever consider taking the AEB pan and ATW pan to a machine shop to have them replicate the port? Any competent machine shop can do this.

12. Member
      05-15-2012 03:07 PM #12
      I could do that and then plug the port on the oil cooler, but just thought there would be an easier way. If I thought of that before I put the pan on and assembled everything, I would've been golden. It's a PITA getting the pan back off.. But that may be all I can do if I can't figure something out with the wiring. Thanks for the suggestion

Vehicles
      2000 a4 1.8TQM, 1998 passat 1.8TM
      05-15-2012 04:16 PM #13
      You sure about the pans not being interchangeable?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...il_Pan/ES5546/

http://tgaparts.com/products/124-oil...w-engines.aspx

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Pan/ES2162758/

They seem to list them as being the same and offer a cover and seal for the oil sensor if you need to mount it to an AEB. I am also looking in to this thinking of swapping in an AEB to replace my busted ATW.

I would think both blocks being 058 that they would be able to swap pans. Would love to get to the bottom of this maybe you could list the part #s of the two pans your comparing.

14. Member
      05-15-2012 09:39 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by flood514 View Post
      You sure about the pans not being interchangeable?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...il_Pan/ES5546/

http://tgaparts.com/products/124-oil...w-engines.aspx

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Pan/ES2162758/

They seem to list them as being the same and offer a cover and seal for the oil sensor if you need to mount it to an AEB. I am also looking in to this thinking of swapping in an AEB to replace my busted ATW.

I would think both blocks being 058 that they would be able to swap pans. Would love to get to the bottom of this maybe you could list the part #s of the two pans your comparing.

Update: I must have been sold the wrong oil pan. The oil pan I have is aparently not for an ATW.. And they do make an AEB oil pan with a hole for the oil level sensor (which is the ATW). So I must have the oil pan for the AWM by the seller's mistake.

I knew they were the same block, but thought with the addition of the oil level sensor to the ATW, maybe they had to change how the oil pan was fitted. So I guess I'll have to find another oil pan and I'll plug the oil temp port on the oil cooler if I can't figure out my own wiring. Sorry for the confusion and thanks to all that chimed in. I think that answers my question. I'll post what I end up doing.
      Last edited by Melcheck; 05-16-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Vehicles
      2000 a4 1.8TQM, 1998 passat 1.8TM
      05-15-2012 11:54 PM #15

16. Member
      08-21-2012 11:06 AM #16
      So here's what happened.. I actually started getting the red oil pressure warning light and through an oil pressure test figured out the oil pump was bad. I replaced the oil pump and put the right oil pan on when I had it off so the oil level sensor is back where it should be and everything is working flawlessly. Thanks again everyone.