Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: RNS510 wiring install experience

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Cabriolet, 2004 W8 wagon 6MT, 2012 Golf R 4dr
      05-13-2012 05:27 PM #1
      First of all this is only my experience and many of you prolly had something different. While what I did worked for me you are at your own risk following these directions. However, I hope this is helpful for others.

Since my car came with a RNS315 I already had a mic wired up at the factory. However, removing the RNS315 meant I would lose my Bluetooth capability so I also needed to buy a 9w7 Bluetooth module and wiring loom to it. This loom or harness also came with a adapter harness that connected between the factory wiring harness to the Navi. This connector I refer to ass the Quadblock.

After having a problem getting the mic to work I worked with Siliconrane and he convinced me it's better to remove the adapter harness and keep as much as possible like the factory. Thus, I completely removed this splicing harness. Thus, 6 wires from the Bluetooth harness needed to be inserted into the Green block of the Quadblock and 4 wires needed to be spliced into wires of the Quadblock.

Remember to first disconnect your battery before you start splicing wires!

The picture below describes which wires from the Bluetooth harness are either inserted into the Green Block (Blue circled area) or spliced into wires of the Quadblock (red circled area).

Here is a picture of the back of the factory Quadblock and you can see the Green Block.

Here is a picture of the splicing harness I received with my Navi and you can see where the wires from the Bluetooth harness were spliced in.

There is small tab on the other side of the green block which releases it from the holder. You then have to pop up little covers in order to insert the pins from the splicing harness.

HTH,

Tom

PS - don;t worry if your tire pressure and ABS icons come on when you start the car. They will disappear once the car is driven. I have no idea why they do come on.
      Last edited by B5Speedo; 05-13-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R - Black
      05-13-2012 05:47 PM #2
      Hey - these pictures look familiar . . . I assume you got everything to work properly after we last talked?
      2012 Golf R - Black WETDUB
      APR Stage 2++ (Build Thread)

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Cabriolet, 2004 W8 wagon 6MT, 2012 Golf R 4dr
      05-13-2012 05:57 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Siliconrane View Post
      Hey - these pictures look familiar . . . I assume you got everything to work properly after we last talked?
      Yup, I almost called you to just to show that the mic was working.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      05-13-2012 06:34 PM #4
      nice!

Vehicles
      urquattro,Golf R,4000q,EvoIX
      05-13-2012 06:56 PM #5
      Disconnecting the battery is the reason for the tire pressure and steering angle light to come on.