Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hauling with hatchbacks, or why you need a truck.

1. 05-14-2012 09:44 AM #26
      You know there is the option of having a hatchback and renting a truck for the occasional big stuff.

Great option at $19 an hour

Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '01 325i '08 Xterra
      05-14-2012 09:44 AM #27
      He should have bought a BMW.

05-14-2012 09:50 AM #28
      So hauling stuff inside a hatchback vs hauling in the bed of a truck.

If you come to a sudden emergency stop what happens?
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

05-14-2012 09:52 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by badb5 View Post
      You know there is the option of having a hatchback and renting a truck for the occasional big stuff.

Great option at $19 an hour
      *homedepot.jpg
      Yes! Great deal. Stage everything you need before hand, run by Home Depot and race to beat the clock.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

5. Member
      05-14-2012 09:53 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      And yes, friends tend to want to borrow it to do truckish duties. Best part about owning one is you don't have to work on someone else's schedule, either a friend's or a rental company's.
      This is something that can't be over stated. When you have your own truck it doesn't matter when you want to move something, it doesn't matter how far away it is, and it doesn't matter how long it will take you. Renting is a perfectly fine option if that's all you have, but it really sucks when you go to Lowes or Home Depot to rent their trucks only to find out they're all out. It blows chunks to pay $60 to rent a U-Haul for an hour or so and then you're left speeding like Racer X so you make it back before they charge you extra for going 15 minutes over. On top of all that most of the trucks you rent can't seat more than two people (three in a pinch) and there are times when you need more help than that, which leaves you driving two vehicles instead of just one.

I know I'm going against the TCL grain but pickup trucks are, in a word, bad ass.

6. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-14-2012 09:56 AM #31
      I don't drive mine to work everyday, either (I did today, but that's becaeu I had to fill it up with fuel after the camping trip so it can get used this weekend to do junk hauling to the dump). It's just sooo useful to have one, even a cheap one like mine.

And yes, friends tend to want to borrow it to do truckish duties. Best part about owning one is you don't have to work on someone else's schedule, either a friend's or a rental company's.
      That's exactly why I want one, it's just tough for me to justify with the 3 vehicles we have now vs. the allotted space, as well as the money. When I do get one, I'll be looking at mostly short trips and light duty, so I'm thinking vintage Ford, ('66 or earlier) Older Chevy (pre '72 unless I get a killer deal on an '87 or older) or a VW Single Cab/Double Cab.

Why not have fun if it's for occasional use?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

7. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-14-2012 10:00 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      So hauling stuff inside a hatchback vs hauling in the bed of a truck.

If you come to a sudden emergency stop what happens?
      That's why I like serious structure between me and cargo, unless I'm hauling blankets or pillows or some-such.

I've hauled concrete blocks in the back with the family inside the car and it gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies. I get them out as quickly as possible/practical. Imagine a bad rollover accident with concrete blocks flying through the interior. *shudder*

8. 05-14-2012 10:02 AM #33
      You can reserve the Home Depot trucks so you know it'll be available when you need it - I do it all the time. You can rent it for more than an hour, you can get a lot done in a couple hours. They're not as sticky about charging you for every second you use it or every drop of gas unlike the U Haul type places.

Vehicles
      2003 Jeep GC 4.0, 2002 Maxima SE
      05-14-2012 10:03 AM #34
      Sorry, that doesn't count. Let's see them pull these:

10. 05-14-2012 10:05 AM #35
      Would love to know the details on this:

Vehicles
      GG Evo IX, 2009 Buell Firebolt
      05-14-2012 10:06 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by GahannaKid View Post
      pickup trucks are, in a word, bad ass.
      In a word would be one word, not two. So which one?

Pickup trucks are, in a word, bad?
      or
      Pickup trucks are, in a word, ass?

05-14-2012 10:07 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by taifighter View Post

or
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

13. Member
      05-14-2012 10:11 AM #38
      You can reserve the Home Depot trucks so you know it'll be available when you need it - I do it all the time. You can rent it for more than an hour, you can get a lot done in a couple hours. They're not as sticky about charging you for every second you use it or every drop of gas unlike the U Haul type places.
      I didn't know you could reserve them, but they're my go to choice if I have to rent because they are more laid back than U-Haul.

or
      Well played

14. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-14-2012 10:15 AM #39

or
      Well played
      Yep. He should've hyphenated it, then he could call it a "win" on a technicality. Either that or run it together Either would have worked.

Bad-ass or badass. Even my spell checker likes "badass".

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      05-14-2012 10:22 AM #40
      I've done the Home Depot truck rental, and you have to add in the time to go there, fill out the paperwork, leave your car there (or have someone else drive your car back home), then after you're done (and heaven help you if it takes longer than you thought, or you need it an extra day), you have to coordinate getting it back there and getting home again.

If you only need it once a year, renting can be done with failry little drama, as long as you plan real good beforehand. If you HAVE a truck, however, you not only can deal with that scenario better, you find that you WILL use it much more often, as merely having it opens up possibilities that you didn't have before. Like buying that travel trailer or hauling an ATV/dirt bikes in the back, or doing a home improvement job on your own schedule, or doing a garage/basement cleanout that normally you'd have to pay someone to come and do. And of course, multi car discounts for insurance make it much easier, as well as lower limits on coverage for it if you buy a cheap older used truck.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      BAGGED AND TUNED SORORITY GIRLS CAR
      05-14-2012 10:29 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by bringtheshred View Post

-A couple times, I've seen ladders and or ten foot two by fours loaded into hatches or wagons that broke right through the windshield after trying to slam the hatch closed. Drivers must have said "FK it! Mights as well get it to where I'm going now!" And proceed to drive on major roads with broken windshields.
      that is by far the best example of how little common sense people can have as far as safety for other drivers on the road

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      05-14-2012 10:36 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
      Oh boy another lawyer. The world will much safer now.... speaking of idiots. Why the F would he slam his tailgate before checking clearance?
      Based on the Thule rack, VT decal, a German product, and the dress wear I'd say hipster. Of course I have a VERY broad definition of what a hipster is since the whole skinny jeans fad drives me up a frigin wall.

Vehicles
      TSI x3
      05-14-2012 10:40 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

So much room for activities!!!
      Last edited by DasCC; 05-14-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Vehicles
      '12 Impreza, '10 Forester, '09 Matchbox Unimog
      05-14-2012 10:55 AM #44
      I drove 20 miles around I-95 with a 2-stage snowblower strapped into my Jetta's trunk. I bought it from a guy with 2 Silverados in his driveway and he did a double take that I was carrying it home in a sedan.

I trust that people who own pickups for personal use enjoy owning pickups. Easy as that.
      Not an enthusiast.

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      05-14-2012 10:57 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by digraph View Post
      I drove 20 miles around I-95 with a 2-stage snowblower strapped into my Jetta's trunk. I bought it from a guy with 2 Silverados in his driveway and he did a double take that I was carrying it home in a sedan.

I trust that people who own pickups for personal use enjoy owning pickups. Easy as that.
      Or we like using the right tool for the job. Yes, you can use a screwdriver handle as a hammer in a pinch, but isn't a hammer better at it?
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

21. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-14-2012 11:02 AM #46
      Or we like using the right tool for the job. Yes, you can use a screwdriver handle as a hammer in a pinch, but isn't a hammer better at it?

That's why I want a truck. I don't absolutely need one, but I want one for that very reason.

Also, A better example for this particular case may be a screwdriver as paint can opener. It's close, it does the job but it's not as good at opening cans as the right tool as it bends the lid, makes it harder to re-seal and makes it more likely that you'll bust your knuckles! Yes, I'm really being nit-picky with that analogy.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-14-2012 11:09 AM #47
      Exactly. I never understand the idea that it's somehow better to make do with the absolute bare minimum. Why risk damaging your car or causing an accident using it improperly? Home Depot rents pickups. So does U-Haul.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

05-14-2012 11:12 AM #48
      yo hatchbacks, imma let you finish. but pickup trucks are one of the best at hauling **** of all time. of all time.

and you can fit more people in the back.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

Vehicles
      '15 Forester XT; '00 Chevy Express; '89 Sierra K2500
      05-14-2012 11:16 AM #49
      This is something that can't be over stated. When you have your own truck it doesn't matter when you want to move something, it doesn't matter how far away it is, and it doesn't matter how long it will take you. Renting is a perfectly fine option if that's all you have, but it really sucks when you go to Lowes or Home Depot to rent their trucks only to find out they're all out. It blows chunks to pay $60 to rent a U-Haul for an hour or so and then you're left speeding like Racer X so you make it back before they charge you extra for going 15 minutes over. On top of all that most of the trucks you rent can't seat more than two people (three in a pinch) and there are times when you need more help than that, which leaves you driving two vehicles instead of just one.

I know I'm going against the TCL grain but pickup trucks are, in a word, bad ass.
      I can't agree more with you and Chris-V. The closest HD to me is about 15-20 minutes away (counting stop lights and stuff). Renting: lots of time wasted doing actual work around the house.

I would not be very comfortable loading a cubic yard of top soil or gravel in a brand new truck, but in my 23 years old beater? I don't care. It serves me really well, cost me peanuts and doesn't complain.

As Chris said, I use it way more often that I though I would when I bought it. That reminds me I need to pick up a couple trees from the garden centre tonight...

Last edited by Bakounine; 05-14-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      05-14-2012 11:18 AM #50
      The only thing I miss about my hatch was the amount of **** I could pile into it.

Last edited by clutchrider; 05-14-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast