Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Soundaktor be Gone !

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Past: 1988 Chevy Nova, 1997 Jetta Trek, 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, 2003 Jetta GLX, Current: 2012 Golf R
      09-02-2012 07:19 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatJohnGuy View Post
      Has anyone mad a POST YOUR SMASHDAKTOR PICS? I am going to go take mine out in a minute. Do you HAVE to take the wipers off to get everything out? I have a HORRIBLE track record with ANY windshield wiper ha ha. I would rather pay someone to do it than touch the windshield wiper
      Yes you do. Just to get the noise maker half of it out, its on the driver side..
      Golf R CSG 4dr Nav/Sunroof

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 R
      09-05-2012 12:27 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by digital-jellyfish View Post
      Technically, the windshield is the speaker... The Soundaktor (aktor = actuator in German) takes data from the ECU and spins its actuator accordingly, causing vibrations which resonate in the windshield. It's a *slightly* more authentic experience (at least perceptually) than sound pumped directly through a speaker, but it's artificial none the less.

I have mine disconnected.
      So this isn't it's own dediczted speaker, or using a speaker? Thank God it's not a waisted speaker but, then again, I'm sure I could think of a few things to use an extra speaker for.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R / 2011 TDI Sportwagen / 2003 Passat GLX
      09-05-2012 08:26 PM #73
      Soundaktor delete complete! & what a difference it makes!!! I couldn't be happier having true engine sound and no unnecessary fake vibrations.

One thing that I would recommend for anyone looking to do the simple unplug technique as I just did is to actually remove the two 10mm bolts that hold down the unit. This makes it a lot easier to get at the clip on the back side. It also make more room for wrapping the exposed end with a plastic baggie or balloon and cinching it off.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 R
      09-09-2012 12:35 AM #74
      Yanked!!! Soundaktor!!! OUT!!! WTF was the point of that thing? Night and day difference. My R's cool went down a peg till I found out that a Mustang GT has a Sound tube like the GTI.

Vehicles
      2011 Golf R DSG
      09-09-2012 03:29 AM #75
      The soundaktor is an electronic controlled unit so we should be able to disable it via VCDS / VAG-COM. Why haven't anyone figured it out yet?!

I'll pay a finders fee to the one who first get this done!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 RB 2DR .:R
      10-01-2012 03:42 PM #76
      I am doing my APR Stage 2+ this week and told the shop to get rid of this while they were removing the ECU. My question is... do you guys think its better to just unplug it in case I ever want to put the car back to as close to stock as possible? Or should I remove the dead weight?

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R, 1973 Land Rover Series III 88"
      10-01-2012 03:49 PM #77
      I think I'll have to drive the car more to know the difference. What am I looking for exactly, and why should I remove it?

Vehicles
      1999 Saab 9-3, 2012 Golf R Rising Blue
      10-01-2012 03:54 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by .:R-Newbie View Post
      I am doing my APR Stage 2+ this week and told the shop to get rid of this while they were removing the ECU. My question is... do you guys think its better to just unplug it in case I ever want to put the car back to as close to stock as possible? Or should I remove the dead weight?
      They shouldn't have to remove your ECU... If they tell you they have to, they are wrong. If you are going 2+, you will want to hear your exhaust noises and they will cover up the soundaktor anyway so just remove the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
      I think I'll have to drive the car more to know the difference. What am I looking for exactly, and why should I remove it?
      Info is there. Search "soundaktor" You would only remove it completely if you are happy with the lessened fake sounds and know you don't want to ever hear it again. If you're not sure, just unplug it.
      Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 10-01-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R, 1973 Land Rover Series III 88"
      10-01-2012 04:07 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
      Info is there. Search "soundaktor" You would only remove it completely if you are happy with the lessened fake sounds and know you don't want to ever hear it again. If you're not sure, just unplug it.
      Oops, sorry. Apologies. Ignore my noobiness.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 04:13 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
      They shouldn't have to remove your ECU... If they tell you they have to, they are wrong.
      They send the ECU to APR... so yes they have to remove it.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-01-2012 04:20 PM #81
      They send the ECU to APR... so yes they have to remove it.
      Why? All Golf R ECU's can be flashed through the OBD port. No need to send it to APR unless you are not going to a shop that provides APR software flashing themselves.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 04:32 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      Why? All Golf R ECU's can be flashed through the OBD port. No need to send it to APR unless you are not going to a shop that provides APR software flashing themselves.
      Isnt there a chip that has to be soldered in place before they can flash via the ODBII port?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 V50 T5 AWD (sold), Black Golf R
      10-01-2012 04:59 PM #83
      No removal necessary, just flashed through the port.
      2012 Deep Black Pearl Golf [R]|APR Stage 1 v3.31 intake file| HS Tuning RSR Clutch | Soundaktor unplug|OEM tinted LED tails|H2Sport Roller Follower|Neuspeed CF engine cover|EVOMS V-Flow Intake|Newsouth Performance Ventpod|

14. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 05:13 PM #84
      The shop is going to call APR but they were under the understanding that all 2012's were not a direct Port and some internal work on the ECU was needed.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      RB 4D Base Golf R
      10-01-2012 05:18 PM #85
      The shop is going to call APR but they were under the understanding that all 2012's were not a direct Port and some internal work on the ECU was needed.
      Wow, time to get a new shop!

Vehicles
      1999 Saab 9-3, 2012 Golf R Rising Blue
      10-01-2012 07:39 PM #86
      Promise you man, the R ECU can be directly flashed, and does not have to be removed. Yeah if you had a 2012 GTI or GLI you would have to send it in. Not so with the R.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013/Golf R/4dr RB
      10-01-2012 08:23 PM #87
      This is probably blasphemous...but I love all the R sounds, including the soundaktor. I guess VW built 'em for people like me. Sorry guys

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 1981 Caddy Diesel
      10-01-2012 09:42 PM #88
      Well, I just did it, and I must say it was more difficult than what I expected. I only did the controller, but the shrouding did not bend up very much at all. It made for tight quarters.

Secondly, for the folks that used the balloon trick, how the hell did you fit a balloon over that massive connector? I even tried cutting the little o-ring off of the end of it to cut down on the elasticity, but no go. The aforementioned tight quarters certainly didn't help either. My connector is unprotected right now, which has me a bit nervous. Any suggestions?

Vehicles
      2012 MKVI R
      10-02-2012 12:08 AM #89
      Just did this too. Removed the controller(I guess/on pass side), wrapped it in duct tape and zip-tied it to the bracket it sat on. It shouldn't go anywhere or get wet at all.
      even at your best as a man, you couldn't equal half of me - Sully Erna/Godsmack

2012 Deep Black Pearl "R" w/H&R Ultra lows; APR Stage 2+(v3.31) w/Neuspeed CAI; APR HPFP; APR TBE; Neuspeed HI-FLO TOP; 42DD shifter bushings; TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings...

20. Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 09:34 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by B0000rt View Post
      Wow, time to get a new shop!
      They had not done an R yet... they found out yesterday that on the R it does not need to be sent out and is indeed a direct port... lil too late as they had already removed and shipped the ECU with the HPFP LOL...

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-03-2012 10:49 AM #91
      I just went through this with my GLI. I was having this ridiculous rattle at higher RPMs when driving spiritedly. I figured it HAD to be the aktor since I already had the wastegate clip installed. So this morning before work I unplugged it and what a difference. The driving experience is enhances 100% and although I may not have the same motor and sound as the R, it is still a much nicer tone.

When I get home I'll be covered the connector in tape and zip tying it to the unit, that way I can put it back if/when I sell the car. No sense in removing it entirely since it's hidden anyways.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R
      10-08-2012 10:26 AM #92
      I just pulled my Soundaktor controller out of my 2012 R. I can't say it sounds better or quieter. I hear other noises now, like the tick of the injectors and more wine from something (turbo maybe). I'm not putting it back on, but if I had that half hour of my life back I would not bother taking it off again.

Many people complained of a buzzing with the Soundaktor. I was wondering if I just was not hearing it. I had no buzzing with the Soundaktor - at least nothing that I notice gone now. Maybe theirs weren't installed or working properly.

I wonder if the Soundaktor was designed to be a noise/vibration cancellation device. I know from past experience (think "silent service") where devices very similar to this are used to quiet radiated noises.

23. 10-09-2012 08:23 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by ibcnum1 View Post
      you can follow this clip here to disable it in less than a minute:
      I attempted to do this yesterday, but I ran into difficulty lifting the plastic cover after I peeled back the weather strip. I don't know where the clips are that hold it in place and didn't want to break it. With it in place, I could open the clip and even pull the cover off of the wire harness, but I had no leverage to pull the harness out of the controller.

I have done a few searches and I am unable to find info on this. Can someone advise how I remove the plastic cover without damaging it?
      2013 VW Golf R (Candy White, 2-Door, Loaded, Stock)

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Past: 1988 Chevy Nova, 1997 Jetta Trek, 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, 2003 Jetta GLX, Current: 2012 Golf R
      10-09-2012 10:11 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
      I attempted to do this yesterday, but I ran into difficulty lifting the plastic cover after I peeled back the weather strip. I don't know where the clips are that hold it in place and didn't want to break it. With it in place, I could open the clip and even pull the cover off of the wire harness, but I had no leverage to pull the harness out of the controller.

I have done a few searches and I am unable to find info on this. Can someone advise how I remove the plastic cover without damaging it?
      To remove the tray completely you have to remove the wiper arms. To just unplug it you don't, this is how I did mine. Yes the plug is hard to get to. I used one hand to pull on the plug and locking clip thing on the back of it. Then with the other hand I used a long socket extension to help push the plug from the front. Yes it tight and might take some time. And you'll probably have others tell you they reached right in and pulled it off in 2mins...

25. 10-09-2012 02:38 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by VWFORLIFE2012 View Post
      To remove the tray completely you have to remove the wiper arms. To just unplug it you don't, this is how I did mine. Yes the plug is hard to get to. I used one hand to pull on the plug and locking clip thing on the back of it. Then with the other hand I used a long socket extension to help push the plug from the front. Yes it tight and might take some time. And you'll probably have others tell you they reached right in and pulled it off in 2mins...
      I really like the idea of using a long socket extension! I'll try that tonight and hopefully I can get it disconnected. If/when I do the delete, I'll need to know how the tray is secured, because it looks like it should be able to be lifted without removing the wipers.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      10-09-2012 11:46 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
      I really like the idea of using a long socket extension! I'll try that tonight and hopefully I can get it disconnected. If/when I do the delete, I'll need to know how the tray is secured, because it looks like it should be able to be lifted without removing the wipers.
      You only need to remove the wipers if you want to remove the rain tray which you'll have to do if you want to remove all components of the sound maker. But to just unplug it all you need todo is remove the weather striping on the passenger side in front of the rain tray and lift...

27. 10-10-2012 09:09 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by VWFORLIFE2012 View Post
      You only need to remove the wipers if you want to remove the rain tray which you'll have to do if you want to remove all components of the sound maker. But to just unplug it all you need todo is remove the weather striping on the passenger side in front of the rain tray and lift...
      Well, I made my second attempt at disconnecting the Soundaktor from its controller. I am able to open the retention clip thingy, but even with a socket extension, I am unable to get proper leverage in such a tight space to unplug the harness. I got it to budge maybe 1mm on one side and that's it. It is in there pretty good.

I have done numerous searches and I cannot find the information I need on safely removing the rain tray. A visual check says that I should at the very least be able to remove it and lift it out of the way by a couple of inches even with the wipers still attached. I am not very mechanically inclined and am very wary of breaking anything, especially plastic.

Also, has anyone actually had a dealer disconnect or remove the Soundaktor?

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R Candy Wite
      10-11-2012 08:10 PM #98
      My guess is you didn't pull the clip out far enough.

29. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 4-door RB APR Stage 2+ Neuspeed P-Flo Intake Autotech HPFP GFB DV+ H&R Sport Springs
      10-13-2012 04:37 PM #99
      I tried the Soundaktor delete. Love the engine and turbo sound without "auto tune". Anyway when I first disconnected the harness before I was sure that I would leave it disconnected, I used blue painters tape as temporary protection. When I decided that I would not be re-connecting it, I was concerned about the tape solution. I wanted to protect against moisture and shorts but I did not want the heat to degrade the tape or cause it to leach adhesive residue. I visited a local electronics supply store. They suggested silicone x-treme tape. It only adheres to itself and works in high temperature environments. See pics. To get the rain tray off enough to wrap the connector, I removed the passenger side wiper. Rain tray removal was difficult. It helped to find a looser part by probing and pushing from underneath. Once you get a place where it pops up, it is much easier. Putting it back in place required some effort and a plastic putty knife (no metal!) in one section where it refused to pop back into the groove against the windshield.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      11-22-2012 05:36 PM #100
      Just unplugged by Soundaktor and am very pleased with the quieter cabin. I have not wrapped any connections yet as I wanted to see if this made a difference but, once I have some more free time, I will tape up the connections.

Vehicles
      12 R
      11-24-2012 05:38 PM #101
      Came across this last night -- just for ****s and grins I gave it a try and could instantly tell a difference with noise inside the cabin. Noticed at idle in the driveway I could hear the intake (stock) much more than before.

Too bad they didn't omit this on the R and give us any one of the lovely features available anywhere else in the world.

I just put a single piece of electrical tape over the female connectors.. I'm really temped to just get a condom and a zip tie since no one will ever see this.. I mean a ziplock bag would probably work too but what fun is that?

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2014 Audi A6 2.0T, 2013 Mini Cooper S Convertible, 1974 Dodge B200 Maxi Van FTW
      11-24-2012 05:39 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by gima View Post
      Came across this last night -- just for ****s and grins I gave it a try and could instantly tell a difference with noise inside the cabin. Noticed at idle in the driveway I could hear the intake (stock) much more than before.

Too bad they didn't omit this on the R and give us any one of the lovely features available anywhere else in the world.

I just put a single piece of electrical tape over the female connectors.. I'm really temped to just get a condom and a zip tie since no one will ever see this.. I mean a ziplock bag would probably work too but what fun is that?
      = " safe soundaktor" lol
      2012 CSG 2 DR NAV/SR | Tuning: 4 Seasons | APR STG 2+ (w/mobile program switching) | STG 3ish Clutch | Devils Own WMI | HPA Gen 4 Switchable Controller | Autotech HPFP | Billy Boat Down Pipe | Volant Intake | Neuspeed SS | BSH stage 2 engine/tranny/pendulum mounts | Badge-less grill + notch fill/paint | TB Chassis Brace | 6LB Braille battery | VWR Sport Springs + Koni Yellows | Neuspeed F and R sway | ("Build" Thread) | #731 ( :

Vehicles
      12 R
      11-24-2012 05:43 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by ignitionlive View Post
      = " safe soundaktor" lol
      At least it wouldn't reproduce..

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2014 Audi A6 2.0T, 2013 Mini Cooper S Convertible, 1974 Dodge B200 Maxi Van FTW
      11-24-2012 05:46 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by gima View Post
      At least it wouldn't reproduce..

Lol. Good point.
      2012 CSG 2 DR NAV/SR | Tuning: 4 Seasons | APR STG 2+ (w/mobile program switching) | STG 3ish Clutch | Devils Own WMI | HPA Gen 4 Switchable Controller | Autotech HPFP | Billy Boat Down Pipe | Volant Intake | Neuspeed SS | BSH stage 2 engine/tranny/pendulum mounts | Badge-less grill + notch fill/paint | TB Chassis Brace | 6LB Braille battery | VWR Sport Springs + Koni Yellows | Neuspeed F and R sway | ("Build" Thread) | #731 ( :

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      11-24-2012 06:01 PM #105
      They're surprisingly resilient.

Two rounds of 9mm on the right, one round of .40 on the left.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast