Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hemp vs. Corn

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      05-14-2012 10:22 AM #1
      I know nothing on the subject. Give me pros, cons, for each, or the veggie industry in general. What about industries outside of biofuel? I do know that corn is derided by many and hemp is exalted by many others. Why is this? Go.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      05-14-2012 10:26 AM #2
      Corn = Alcohol and Hemp = Marijuana. The difference between a drunk and a stoner is that the drunk will blow through a stop sign while the stoner sits there all night waiting for it to turn green.

I think the choice is clear as to which is the right choice for car enthusiasts.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

3. Member
      05-14-2012 11:02 AM #3
      Hemp holds the strongest fiber known to man, the hemp seed contains all 22 essential amino acids, and cannabis is one of the oldest, most versatile and safest known medicinal substances.

Hemp needs little to no pesticides to be grown.

Suffice to say that the agricultural industry is currently controlled by the chemical industry, and that's what makes hemp an enemy of the agricultural industry.

I'll expound on all of these later.

Vehicles
      '01 GTI 12V
      05-14-2012 11:28 AM #4
      It seems like hemp is not widely used because the government can't find a way to control it.
      It's called excellent resale value. If you own an American vehicle, you may not be familiar with it.

5. Member
      05-14-2012 11:32 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bnortron113 View Post
      It seems like hemp is not widely used because the corporations can't find a way to patent it.
      ftfy - hemp is widely used internationally, and was much more widely used before the 1930's when the US set the precedent for the world to outlaw it. It has been known as cannabis sativa alternatively to and in conjunction with the name hemp.

Vehicles
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      05-14-2012 11:35 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by corrago View Post
      ftfy - hemp is widely used internationally, and was much more widely used before the 1930's when the US set the precedent for the world to outlaw it. It has been known as cannabis sativa alternatively to and in conjunction with the name hemp.
      Exactly.

Government is controlled by corporations anyway.

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      05-14-2012 11:56 AM #7
      There's lots of better ways for us to make fuel. The corn boom is good for farmers, but the extra fertilizer is making a mess of the Mississippi delta waters and the Gulf of Mexico. Hemp is not currently used much for fuel, and I don't see how it would be that price competitive. Hemp seed is sold in health food stores and it's mighty expensive.

Vegetable oil is food, and used for deep frying. The used frier oil used in this country can and is being refined into biodiesel. At least where I live, pretty much all the used fry oil is collected and refined. Our local biodiesel refinery is expanding to more than double production.

Animal fat from meat processing is also a resource for biodiesel. Some of it was being mixed with animal feed, but now that is slowly changing to to go to refineries instead. Oil companies want the biodiesel because the new cleaner fuel, ULSD, needs additives, and biodiesel is a little cheaper than the chemicals they were using. As a result, pretty much all diesel we use is around one percent bio.

8. Member
      05-14-2012 12:14 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Blonde Guy View Post
      There's lots of better ways for us to make fuel. The corn boom is good for farmers, but the extra fertilizer is making a mess of the Mississippi delta waters and the Gulf of Mexico. Hemp is not currently used much for fuel, and I don't see how it would be that price competitive. Hemp seed is sold in health food stores and it's mighty expensive.
      Hemp takes very little energy in the way of fertilizers and pesticides to grow.

The reason the hemp seed is so expensive in this country right now is because we're not allowed to grow it domestically, thus everything has to be imported.

Internationally, the rules around growing hemp are stringent, so the production is minimal.

Hemp would easily rise to be the dominant food, paper, fuel & cloth crop worldwide if the laws against its cultivation were removed.

A single plant can yield over 20,000 seeds.

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 12:19 PM #9
      Part of the reason for this thread was that hemp is often lauded as the miracle plant that can save us all. Corn is too. But both are supported by very different people with their own interests.

I'm interested in the facts about how easy they are to grow in comparison to each other, what they can yield, etc, both for fuel and general industry. I'm trying to avoid a government vs. hippies debate.
      A2Resource

10. 05-14-2012 12:26 PM #10
      You mean

vs

???

05-14-2012 12:35 PM #11
      but to borrow on your crude analogy, this IS a gov't vs. hippies debate.

there is the idea of control, profit, ends justifying means, the research be damned. then there is the idea of freedom, natural selection, symbiosis, and sensibility.

guess which camp makes the laws and divvies up the trillion dollar "farm" subsidies?

you can try to frame this discussion however you want; hemp is not in use because people fear, condemn, and/or can't control the euphoric side effects it has on homo sapiens when its flowers are ingested. it really is that simple.

whatever its utility/promise/miracle, it is irrelevant. the overlords have already decided for you. reason is futile. now go get an internet degree, a lease payment or two, a bubble mortgage, a wallet full of plastic, several trunkfulls of processed goods, and start "contributing to society" like everyone else. maybe you can even "vote" for a "public servant" or two along the way.

Vehicles
      '99 VW Gol, '12 Focus, '12 Vw Fox
      05-14-2012 12:41 PM #12
      What happens if this lotus catches fire ?

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      05-14-2012 12:45 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Churras View Post
      What happens if this lotus catches fire ?
      Same thing if the panels were made out of traditional carbon fiber, or even aluminum.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

05-14-2012 12:48 PM #14
      you can get high from carbon fiber? wow, so that explains it.

yeah, obviously, industrial hemp does not contain any of the active ingredients its more carefully cultivated sisters are known for.

Vehicles
      '14 Jetta 1.8T, '13 Focus, '00 Miata
      05-14-2012 12:58 PM #15
      First of all hemp is NOT marijuana, however industrial hemp production is outlawed in the US because the law considers hemp to be marijuana with no distinction between sub-species of cannabis. You will not get anything more than a headache from smoking hemp flowers, as they have little to no thc.

Hemp fibers as a commodity are protected under the UN and international trade laws, which is why you can buy hemp products in the US.

Canada and china, and many other countries have huge hemp production industries. We are missing out on a billion dollar or more industry that would bring many jobs to the US and boost the economy, simply because of a stupid cultural taboo and an unscientifically written anti-drug law.

Lawmakers don't want to discuss legalization of hemp production because they will always associate it with legalizing marijuana, and they don't want to open up the controlled substances act for revisions.
      Last edited by firstorbit84; 05-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.
      "If your car 'feels like it's on rails,' then you're going too slow."

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLI Big Turbo SEM MOTORSPORTS FTW!
      05-14-2012 01:02 PM #16
      I would so have a hose running out of my exhaust into my car if we fueled with cannabis. jus sayin!

17. Member
      05-14-2012 01:06 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by firstorbit84 View Post
      First of all hemp is NOT marijuana, however industrial hemp production is outlawed in the US because the law considers hemp to be marijuana with no distinction between sub-species of cannabis. You will not get anything more than a headache from smoking hemp flowers, as they have little to no thc.

Hemp fibers as a commodity are protected under the UN and international trade laws, which is why you can buy hemp products in the US.

Canada and china, and many other countries have huge hemp production industries. We are missing out on a billion dollar or more industry that would bring many jobs to the US and boost the economy, simply because of a stupid cultural taboo and an unscientifically written anti-drug law.

Lawmakers don't want to discuss legalization of hemp production because they will always associate it with legalizing marijuana as they're told to by the corporate , to detract from the true purpose of covering up the huge amount of chemical. That are necessary to support big ag in the form of fertilizers and pesticides for corn and cotton, and they don't want to open up the can of worms that is the truth, and that they've been hiding for years in a box called 'substance abuse'
      Feels like I'm going to be doing a lot of fixing today.

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 02:01 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      but to borrow on your crude analogy, this IS a gov't vs. hippies debate.
      I have my own beliefs on this subject, however I'm trying to keep it neutral and just work on the facts, in particular, how much worse is corn than hemp? Are either better suited to biofuel, stripping away the extra benefit from other hemp products? I'd like to explore all of these issues. So far, all I hear is "govt bad, hemp good", and while I tend to agree with that, the people telling me these facts have their motives, which is why I'm trying to get past the politics.

Can industrial hemp be "bred back" to encourage more THC? What about a marijuana/hemp hybrid that could pass undetected as hemp plants? Any of this possible?
      A2Resource

19. 05-14-2012 02:04 PM #19
      There's also the whole hemp vs trees for paper issue. Hemp makes better paper, using a fraction of the land, obviously grows far faster, and requires less chemicals for processing, not to mention we get to keep our forests.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      05-14-2012 02:13 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by corrago View Post
      It seems like hemp is not widely used because the corporations can't find a way to patent it.
      BS

They can absolutely patent it if they modified it, just like any GMO does with their products.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      Golf 02
      05-14-2012 02:14 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      Can industrial hemp be "bred back" to encourage more THC? What about a marijuana/hemp hybrid that could pass undetected as hemp plants? Any of this possible?
      Who cares anyway (other than the governement)? Tobacco is legal. Alcool is legal. Tons of dangerous medications are legal. They are all a lot worst for you than pot. The only reason pot was made illegal was to send Hippies to jail during Vietnam war... so they would stop protesting. As long as the governement stays narrow minded, things will stay the same. It will probably take a couple generations to change. Governement could simply give permit to a few producers to sell an end product. They could still prohibit the plant itself to be in the population's hands. But governements don't think that way, they only see black and white.

22. Member
      05-14-2012 02:14 PM #22
      To the first, yes it can. That's where "industrial hemp" came from - it is a strain or "phenotype" of Cannabis Sativa that has been bred to be low not only in THC, but CBDs, CBNs and other cannabinoids.

No hybrid could pass as a hemp plant, I don't believe, because it cannot be free from cannabinoids and still have medicinal or psychoactive value, because that is the source of said medicinal compounds.

I'll expound on the more complicated items about corn vs. hemp re: food, biofuel, etc. later.

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 02:17 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtuner4ever View Post
      Governement could simply give permit to a few producers to sell an end product. They could still prohibit the plant itself to be in the population's hands. But governements don't think that way, they only see black and white.
      I'm gonna be nice and ignore the rather ranty first part of your post but they already do this with coca leaves...
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepan_Company
      Did I just blow your mind?
      Last edited by VDub2625; 05-14-2012 at 02:20 PM.
      A2Resource

24. 05-14-2012 02:51 PM #24
      BTW - what has this to do w/the Car Lounge? Are the mods recovering from Mother's Day?

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 02:53 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 2VWatatime View Post
      BTW - what has this to do w/the Car Lounge? Are the mods recovering from Mother's Day?
      Biofuel was my original intent but it does encompass a broad range of topics.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      05-14-2012 05:23 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtuner4ever View Post
      The only reason pot was made illegal was to send Hippies to jail during Vietnam war... so they would stop protesting.
      Do a little research. Marijuana was made illegal in the 30s. Also, in 1967 there was a period of time when it became legal due to a lag in change of laws.
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      I believe the operation parameters on those Hunter machines specifies that if the measurements for camber and toe exceed 45 degrees, the operator and the vehicle's owner are required to commit ritual suicide. So I would recommend mounting it on oil drums and making it a river boat instead.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      '70 Datsun 510......early wabbit
      05-14-2012 05:30 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by DMACK View Post
      I would so have a hose running out of my exhaust into my car if we fueled with cannabis. jus sayin!
      heh... not quite what you are describing, but you get the picture

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      It's not hard to tell when a driver is texting. If I can do it while driving a manual, eating a cheeseburger AND loading a shotgun... the average driver, who is admittedly much smarter, and more coordinated than me, should be capable of seeing it too.

28. 05-14-2012 08:53 PM #28
      It merely is a method to disguise the wealth redistribution to the political donors $$$.
      "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

Vehicles
      90 Corrado, 97 Passat TDI, 10 CC 3.6 4MO
      05-14-2012 09:00 PM #29
      Biofuel was my original intent but it does encompass a broad range of topics.
      What about cane?

The sugar variety

Just saw a Modern Marvels rerun on the sugar industry and they touted Brazil as a leader in breaking it's dependency on fossil fuels by generating a rather large percent of biofuel from sugar.
      "I may look like I am doing nothing, but at the cellular level, I'm quite busy!"

Need a quality DSG service for under $200 in North Jersey-NE Pa? Contact hevster1@yahoo.com.

Vehicles
      '11 TTS Coupe
      05-14-2012 09:11 PM #30
      We should get some kickstarter money and fund a TCL patented GMO strain of hemp that is really fibrous, has no leaves and produces 40,000 seeds per plant.

Produce, Patent, Profit, Puff, Puff, Pass

sounds like a stoner idea
      '11 TTS Coupe
      '08 A4 Avant 2.0t S-line Titanium
      '01 A4 Avant 1.8t S-line (Sold)
      '90 Coupe Quattro 20v (Sold)
      '95 "Getta" VR6 (Sold)

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 11:04 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by 90 GT-G60 View Post
      What about cane?

The sugar variety

Just saw a Modern Marvels rerun on the sugar industry and they touted Brazil as a leader in breaking it's dependency on fossil fuels by generating a rather large percent of biofuel from sugar.
      We could never do that here, were way too dependent on cheap sugar and it's not as easy to grow as in Brazil, haha.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      A2Resource

32. Member
      05-15-2012 07:31 AM #32
      We could never do that here, were way too dependent on cheap sugar and it's not as easy to grow as in Brazil, haha.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      Part of why hemp is perfect for us, as well as part of why it's illegal.

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      05-15-2012 07:46 AM #33
      I always suspected that the C in TCL secretly stood for conspiracy.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

34. 05-15-2012 08:24 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
      I always suspected that the C in TCL secretly stood for conspiracy.
      Nah. Cannabis. As in "duuuuuuuuuude"

Oh, and this is about biofuel? riiiiiiight...

35. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      05-15-2012 08:43 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
      Corn = Alcohol and Hemp = Marijuana. The difference between a drunk and a stoner is that the drunk will blow through a stop sign while the stoner sits there all night waiting for it to turn green.

I think the choice is clear as to which is the right choice for car enthusiasts.
      Hemp seeds, as already mentioned, have great nutritional value for human consumption.

And... you can make Hemp biodiesel. Too bad you can't get high off of the fumes.

http://www.hempcar.org/
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast