Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New hood and painted fenders

05-14-2012 02:51 PM #1
      I recently had my hood replaced at a VW dealership under warranty but came across some unexpected things on my headlights and need to know if anyone has experience as to if the headlights could have or need to be removed when painting the fenders. They decided to paint the hood to match the car and blend the fenders in. I noticed about three to four half inch horizontal scratches on the outside part of the headlights at the edge where they meet the fender. They are on both headlights at the exact same area.

I was hoping some of you would have some experience in this area and if when removing or taping off the areas before painting, these scratches could have occurred during the process. I also noticed some fogging behind the plastic which I've never noticed before but I'm sure is unrelated. These are projection headlights on a 2006 VW GLI. Thanks in advance for the help!
      Last edited by rdjr74; 05-17-2012 at 03:44 PM.

2. 05-16-2012 11:30 PM #2
      the corner edge of the fender on the inside is sharp, you have to get turn the headlights on an angle to get them out, that most likely how it happend

05-17-2012 01:36 PM #3
      That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

05-17-2012 03:42 PM #4
      They stated they were not removed. Any other ideas? Maybe when taking the tape off they used something that scrapped against the headlights. I'm at a lose. All I know is they weren't there before. Second issue I've had at this dealer. The "who dun it" scenario.

5. 05-18-2012 01:12 PM #5
      That is def from removing the headlights, I have seen it before. Or 'loosening' them to tape around them. They def did it, and I'm sure they won't claim it either, sadly. They can be buffed out, maybe not all the way, but mostly.

05-18-2012 02:19 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DentWizard View Post
      That is def from removing the headlights, I have seen it before. Or 'loosening' them to tape around them. They def did it, and I'm sure they won't claim it either, sadly. They can be buffed out, maybe not all the way, but mostly.
      I just don't see how it could be from anything else. I'm going to meet the guy that did the work sometime next week. I just hope he does the right thing here. It's obvious scratching occurred. Would be great if someone vouched for me, someone with experience with this exact issue. I will use your quote in so many words and see where the conversation goes.